Though his life was tragically cut short, these Heath Ledger quotes show the actor’s dedication to his craft, his dreams, and his love for life.
Australian actor, Heath Ledger, began his career in the early 1990s.
After participating in several Australian-made films, he moved to the United States to take his career to the next level.
Ledger would go on to star in 19 films before his death of an accidental overdose of medication in 2008.
Though he died at age 28, Ledger had already created a name that would go down in Hollywood history.
He starred in many films that are now classics, including 10 Things I Hate About You, Brokeback Mountain, and The Dark Knight.
As someone who was passionate about film and acting, Ledger likely would have gone on to be an even bigger star and director than he already was.
We hope you enjoy these Heath Ledger quotes about his life and his career.
Don’t forget to also check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
Heath Ledger quotes about acting
1. “[The Joker is a] psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy. … Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night. I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” — Heath Ledger
2. “I’ve never had high expectations of my work and I certainly am not going to let that plague my thoughts. I’m just going to continue to choose what feels right for me at the time and go with it.” — Heath Ledger
3. “Had I listened to my agent, I’d be running around in tights, climbing buildings and stuff.” — Heath Ledger
4. “It’s kind of a rule of thumb for me to self-doubt going into any kind of project. I always think that I shouldn’t be doing it and I don’t know how to do it and I’m going to fail and that I fooled them. I always try to find a way out.” — Heath Ledger
5. “I feel like I’ve never been in a film that people have liked before.” — Heath Ledger
6. “Anyone that has a job that takes them away from home, I think, can understand the difficulties in maintaining consistency, not only with your family and those you love but with your friends.” — Heath Ledger
7. “The reason that you dance and sing is to make the audience feel like they’re dancing and singing. As long as you’re having fun with it and giving it 100 percent, they’re gonna feel that.” — Heath Ledger
8. “In order not to hold a frame with someone, you have to be intimidated by them.” — Heath Ledger
9. “I have a lot of great distractions outside of acting.” — Heath Ledger
10. “There’s nothing like working with your mates – it’s the way it should be, as far as I’m concerned.” — Heath Ledger
11. “It’s rare that there’s a role that requires an Australian accent.” — Heath Ledger
12. “I’m just not one of those naturally funny, relaxed actors who enjoy the spotlight and are so good at it.” — Heath Ledger
13. “I am not a public speaker and never will be.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about success
14. “There is no Yoda-there’s no one who points you in the right direction. You’ve got to figure that out by yourself.” — Heath Ledger
15. “You know, I’m not in a hurry, and everybody else in Hollywood – particularly agents and managers – they’re all in a hurry.” — Heath Ledger
16. “I think your personal evolution runs hand in hand with your professional evolution. Performance and the person you are kind of grow simultaneously.” — Heath Ledger
17. “The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules!” — Heath Ledger
18. “If you make decisions based upon people’s reactions or judgments then you make really boring choices.” — Heath Ledger
19. “I never want to feel like I’ve achieved my goal. It’s like Chinese farmers. They never admit that it’s a good season. They feel like they’ll be punished.” — Heath Ledger
20. “I only do this because I’m having fun. The day I stop having fun, I’ll just walk away.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about fame
21. “Most of the time you don’t even know they’re there. Now, that’s the scary thing. It’s really strange and invading, but I’m still working it all out. I try to not let it bother me. And if I want to swim naked in my pool, I’m still going to do it. I certainly don’t want to feel that I have to change everything in my life that I do to cater to them. I just won’t let it happen.” — Heath Ledger
22. “I apologize for my terrible interview skills. I wasn’t prepared to expose stories about something so special and wonderfully private that is happening in my life. I guess a part of me wishes that I’d never have to and that maybe I could protect this special time. I was dreaming.” — Heath Ledger
23. “I love acting. Oh, God, I love it. But all this fame and all this bullshit attention. I’m not supernatural. I’ve done nothing extremely special to deserve the position. It happens every couple of years, and it’s happened to hundreds of people before me.” — Heath Ledger
24. “But the paparazzi are quite malicious and vocal and really rude, … And they camped outside of my house, so I started throwing eggs at them, lobbing them at rocks next to them.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about life
25. “Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” — Heath Ledger
What is your favorite Heath Ledger role?
Heath Ledger is best known for his iconic portrayal of the legendary comic book villain, The Joker, in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight.
Dozens of actors have played The Joker since the character’s screen debut in the 1960s, however, none compare to Ledger’s performance of the crazy clown.
Ledger’s performance was so terrifyingly real, that he would often scare his coworkers while filming scenes with them.
Unfortunately, Ledger would die while The Dark Knight was still in post-production.
He post-humously won numerous awards for his performance.
We hope you enjoyed these Heath Ledger quotes and lines.
Let us know your favorite quote in the comments below!
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST