Though his life was tragically cut short, these Heath Ledger quotes show the actor’s dedication to his craft, his dreams, and his love for life.
Australian actor, Heath Ledger, began his career in the early 1990s. After participating in several Australian-made films, he moved to the United States to take his career to the next level. Ledger would go on to star in 19 films before his death of an accidental overdose of medication in 2008.
Though he died at age 28, Ledger had already created a name that would go down in Hollywood history. He starred in many films that are now classics, including 10 Things I Hate About You, Brokeback Mountain, and The Dark Knight. As someone who was passionate about film and acting, Ledger likely would have gone on to be an even bigger star and director than he already was.
We hope you enjoy these Heath Ledger quotes about his life and his career.
Don’t forget to also check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
Heath Ledger quotes about acting
1. “[The Joker is a] psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy. … Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night. I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” — Heath Ledger
2. “I’ve never had high expectations of my work and I certainly am not going to let that plague my thoughts. I’m just going to continue to choose what feels right for me at the time and go with it.” — Heath Ledger
3. “Had I listened to my agent, I’d be running around in tights, climbing buildings and stuff.” — Heath Ledger
4. “It’s kind of a rule of thumb for me to self-doubt going into any kind of project. I always think that I shouldn’t be doing it and I don’t know how to do it and I’m going to fail and that I fooled them. I always try to find a way out.” — Heath Ledger
5. “I feel like I’ve never been in a film that people have liked before.” — Heath Ledger
6. “Anyone that has a job that takes them away from home, I think, can understand the difficulties in maintaining consistency, not only with your family and those you love but with your friends.” — Heath Ledger
7. “The reason that you dance and sing is to make the audience feel like they’re dancing and singing. As long as you’re having fun with it and giving it 100 percent, they’re gonna feel that.” — Heath Ledger
8. “In order not to hold a frame with someone, you have to be intimidated by them.” — Heath Ledger
9. “I have a lot of great distractions outside of acting.” — Heath Ledger
10. “There’s nothing like working with your mates – it’s the way it should be, as far as I’m concerned.” — Heath Ledger
11. “It’s rare that there’s a role that requires an Australian accent.” — Heath Ledger
12. “I’m just not one of those naturally funny, relaxed actors who enjoy the spotlight and are so good at it.” — Heath Ledger
13. “I am not a public speaker and never will be.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about success
14. “There is no Yoda-there’s no one who points you in the right direction. You’ve got to figure that out by yourself.” — Heath Ledger
15. “You know, I’m not in a hurry, and everybody else in Hollywood – particularly agents and managers – they’re all in a hurry.” — Heath Ledger
16. “I think your personal evolution runs hand in hand with your professional evolution. Performance and the person you are kind of grow simultaneously.” — Heath Ledger
17. “The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules!” — Heath Ledger
18. “If you make decisions based upon people’s reactions or judgments then you make really boring choices.” — Heath Ledger
19. “I never want to feel like I’ve achieved my goal. It’s like Chinese farmers. They never admit that it’s a good season. They feel like they’ll be punished.” — Heath Ledger
20. “I only do this because I’m having fun. The day I stop having fun, I’ll just walk away.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about fame
21. “Most of the time you don’t even know they’re there. Now, that’s the scary thing. It’s really strange and invading, but I’m still working it all out. I try to not let it bother me. And if I want to swim naked in my pool, I’m still going to do it. I certainly don’t want to feel that I have to change everything in my life that I do to cater to them. I just won’t let it happen.” — Heath Ledger
22. “I apologize for my terrible interview skills. I wasn’t prepared to expose stories about something so special and wonderfully private that is happening in my life. I guess a part of me wishes that I’d never have to and that maybe I could protect this special time. I was dreaming.” — Heath Ledger
23. “I love acting. Oh, God, I love it. But all this fame and all this bullshit attention. I’m not supernatural. I’ve done nothing extremely special to deserve the position. It happens every couple of years, and it’s happened to hundreds of people before me.” — Heath Ledger
24. “But the paparazzi are quite malicious and vocal and really rude, … And they camped outside of my house, so I started throwing eggs at them, lobbing them at rocks next to them.” — Heath Ledger
Heath Ledger quotes about life
25. “Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” — Heath Ledger
26. “I generally don’t think most situations can be labeled as black or white.” — Heath Ledger
27. “See I’m not a monster, I’m just ahead of the curve.” — Heath Ledger
28. “I feel like I’m wasting time if I repeat myself.” — Heath Ledger
29. “I’m still a kid. I’m like six years old. But it’s just a matter of wanting to get up, it’s just a big journey. I felt like when I left home that I was on a journey, and I still am.” — Heath Ledger
30. “I’m not good at future planning. I don’t plan at all. I don’t know what I’m doing tomorrow. I don’t have a day planner and I don’t have a diary. I completely live in the now, not in the past, not in the future.” — Heath Ledger
31. “My life is together, both professionally and socially.” — Heath Ledger
32. “I’m kind of addicted to moving.” — Heath Ledger
33. “I thought, I need to be more cautious about my choices – it reflects on who I am.” — Heath Ledger
34. “I didn’t want to raise my child in Hollywood.” — Heath Ledger
35. “When anything is blocking my head or there’s worry in my life, I just go sit on Mars or something and look back here at Earth. All you can see is this tiny speck. You don’t see the fear. You don’t see the pain. You don’t see thought. It’s just one solid speck. Then nothing really matters. It just doesn’t.” — Heath Ledger
36. “I like to do something I fear.” — Heath Ledger
37. “If you are just safe about the choices you make, you don’t grow.” — Heath Ledger
38. “I believe whatever doesn’t kill you, simply makes you stranger.” — Heath Ledger
39. “I like to set up obstacles and defeat them.” — Heath Ledger
More Heath Ledger quotes
40. “I’m very comfortable with horses. I love horses and I have grown up around farm-hands. There’s something very universal about anyone who’s on horseback night and day. When you get off that horse, you are still walking as if there’s still a horse between your legs.” — Heath Ledger
41. “I’m not a big fan of western movies and I really don’t like cowboy-Indian movies. I have never watched them.” — Heath Ledger
42. “I do think that drugs and alcohol have been glorified and exoticized in such a way that it gets into the art world.” — Heath Ledger
43. “I’m sure drugs and alcohol perhaps would inspire new thoughts, but it’s certainly not something that I use as a tool or a mechanism to create.” — Heath Ledger
44. “I like to see films that come out with lower budgets because you’re forced into using your imagination. You don’t have everything at your fingertips. You have to create it from scratch.” — Heath Ledger
45. “The first memory I have, anyway, I guess – I think it was my second birthday and the cake came out with the candles and I was very excited and I was, like, “Oh! A cake!” and then my cousin blew out the candles. I was so disappointed. It just broke my heart. And so that’s stamped in my brain.” — Heath Ledger
46. “If you spend all day on horseback, and you hop off, you walk around like you still have a horse between your legs. And it affects your shoulders. They fall.” — Heath Ledger
47. “In my opinion, New York City police officers are brave.” — Heath Ledger
48. “I didn’t want to raise my child in Hollywood.” — Heath Ledger
49. “It’s odd, that’s why I don’t like telling people I played field hockey. It’s real big in Australia for guys. But I say I played in America, and everybody goes, ‘Oh, you girl!’” — Heath Ledger
50. “From 18 to 22, I was alone, living in L.A. with a bunch of friends, partying.” — Heath Ledger
What is your favorite Heath Ledger role?
Heath Ledger is best known for his iconic portrayal of the legendary comic book villain, The Joker, in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight.
Dozens of actors have played The Joker since the character’s screen debut in the 1960s, however, none compare to Ledger’s performance of the crazy clown. Ledger’s performance was so terrifyingly real, that he would often scare his coworkers while filming scenes with them.
Unfortunately, Ledger would die while The Dark Knight was still in post-production. He post-humously won numerous awards for his performance.
We hope you enjoyed these Heath Ledger quotes and lines. Let us know your favorite quote in the comments below!
May 3, 2021 7:00 AM EST