These inspirational hockey quotes will motivate you to play hard and win big.
Hockey is a fun, competitive sport that can be played either on ice, on a roller rink, or in a field. The key to success in this game is teamwork, talent, and dedication. These hockey quotes will boost your motivation and encourage you to take home the championship.
Whether you’re a player, coach, parent, or fan, these insightful words will resonate with you. Are you looking for the perfect sayings and phrases to inspire your team? These hockey quotes about hard work and perseverance will pump you up for the game.
Playing hockey is a great way to build sportsmanship and strength. Whether you’re a goalie, a forward, or a defensive player, the key to winning is being a good teammate.
If you want to win the game and become the best hockey player possible, it all starts with changing your mindset. Read these hockey quotes about teamwork and dedication to improve your overall performance.
Hockey quotes to motivate you to play hard and win big
1. “The day I stop giving is the day I stop receiving. The day I stop learning is the day I stop growing. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
2. “To succeed in hockey, you need teamwork.” – Henry Samueli
3. “Sometimes you do the hard work and set the table and somebody else eats the meal.” – Brian Burke
4. “The top three worst things I’ve seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform.” – Brett Hull
5. “A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” – Paul Gallico
6. “Great moments are born from great opportunities.” – Herb Brooks
7. “A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can’t hit one another.” – Jimmy Cannon
8. “It’s not necessarily the amount of time you spend at practice that counts; it’s what you put into the practice.” – Eric Lindros
9. “I guarantee we’ll win tonight.” – Mark Messier
10. “Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken.” – Martin Brodeur
Hockey quotes to boost your motivation
11. “How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” – Jacques Plante
12. “You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave – win or lose.” – Gordie Howe
13. “You’ve always been ‘The Great One,’ but tonight you’ve become The Greatest.” – Gary Bettman II
14. “In any other context, ‘icing’ is a great and exciting word: The proverbial icing on the cake, for instance, is a bonus – a wonderful thing on top of another wonderful thing. But in hockey, icing merely results in the referee’s raising his right hand, as if swearing an oath to the deity of downtime.” – Steve Rushin
15. “People don’t know how fantastic women’s ice hockey is. People don’t know how fantastic hockey is in general.” – Hilary Knight
16. “Yeah, I’m cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn’t mean I’m not a nice person.” – Jeremy Roenick
17. “Every day you guys look worse and worse. And today you played like tomorrow.” – John Mariucci
18. “I often look at the guys who can whistle before a game and shake my head. You’d think they didn’t have a care in the world. Me? I’m just plain miserable before every game.” – Glenn Hall
19. “Hockey is murder on ice.” – Jim Murray
20. “The playoffs separate the men from the boys, and we found out we have a lot of boys in our dressing room.” – Neil Smith
Hockey quotes to pump you up for the game
21. “We get nose jobs all the time in the NHL, and we don’t even have to go to the hospital.” – Brad Park
22. “Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive.” – Stephen Leacock
23. “My dad had this thing – everyone in Canada wants to play hockey; that’s all they want to do. So when I was a kid, whenever we skated my dad would not let us on the ice without hockey sticks, because of this insane fear we would become figure skaters!” – Norm MacDonald
24. “Hockey, honestly, was my first love. The excitement, the fast pace, the intensity of the game… I still love it to this day.” – J. J. Watt
25. “The biggest thing we get out of it is seeing the kids smile. And hopefully we will also see that the lessons we’re teaching – not only the fundamentals of hockey, but also the life values – are sinking in.” – Bobby Orr
26. “Field hockey is my strongest sport, and if I lose a game, I take a long, hot bath and moan about it.” – Emma Watson
27. “Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be.” – Mario Lemieux
28. “I love those hockey moms. You know what they say the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull is? Lipstick.” – Sarah Palin
29. “I would be trying to play hockey with my friends, but most of the time, the coach put me on the bench. Because I was too dreamy – I was dreaming all of the time. I was super bad on the ice because I was just thinking about something else.” – Denis Villeneuve
30. “You watch a hockey game, and the hand-eye coordination and the speed is really miraculous; how those guys track the puck alone, just following it with their eyes.” – Liev Schreiber
Hockey quotes about teamwork and dedication
31. “I love hockey. Hockey is my go-to sport. It’s my jam.” – Alexa Bliss
32. “Whether you’re trying to learn in hockey or trying to learn in life, I’ve always tried to be observant and tried to learn more, tried to evolve, whether it’s as a hockey player or as a person. With each year, I try to do that.” – Sidney Crosby
33. “I am addicted to hockey now. I’ve seen it on TV, but to be there? I had no idea that white people were having so much fun without me.” – J. B. Smoove
34. “Whether somebody is really competent – whether he has a good hockey mind, whether he’s a good person to lead a hockey club – is something determined over a long period of time, not one tournament.” – Steve Yzerman
35. “To me, a hockey player has to be every sport rolled into one: ice skater, baseball player, football player, etc. It’s just incredible to watch!” – Vinnie Paul
36. “I have always been interested in finding new ways to play and have looked at handball keepers and ice hockey goal-minders. It helps me.” – Manuel Neuer
37. “As the Olympic torch neared Lake Placid, N.Y., in 1980, signaling the opening of that year’s Winter Olympics, newspapers and magazines throughout the world offered predictions on who would win medals in the major sports. Not a single publication gave the American men’s hockey team a chance against the world powers.” – Don Yaeger
38. “My most visceral childhood memory is getting home from hockey. Much of our family time revolved around hockey, and it rains a lot in Perth, and we’d get home tired and wet in our tracksuits, and the smell I’d hold in my nose is of mother’s vegetable soup.” – Tim Minchin
39. “If you’re a sports fan, it is really cool when you see the best-on-best for hockey at the Olympics.” – Gary Bettman
40. “I think the big thing is you really have one chance to do this… to play hockey for a living, you have one chance at your career, and you have to take full advantage of it.” – Patrick Kane
Hockey quotes to inspire and motivate
41. “I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to play hockey, especially when there weren’t equal opportunities as there are now. But at times, it was challenging.” – Hilary Knight
42. “It is so important to me to have my time away from hockey. Obviously, hockey is my passion; I love it. But definitely for me, time away from the rink and time when my mind isn’t thinking about hockey is important.” – Sidney Crosby
43. “I’m not superstitious about anything in my life – except for playoff hockey. I get really kind of sketchy and weird about it. I don’t like talking about it. I don’t like making predictions.” – CM Punk
44. “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.” –Gordie Howe
45. “My teeth weren’t that good to begin with, so hopefully I can get some better ones.” – Duncan Keith
46. “By the age of 18, the average American has witnessed 200,000 acts of violence on television, most of them occurring during Game 1 of the NHL playoff series.” – Steve Rushin
47. “Sometimes guys need to cry. Some hockey players think they’re too tough to cry.” – Brett Hull
48. “The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it.” – Wayne Gretzky
49. “Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental.” – Jim McKenny
50. “We take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor.” – Bobby Clarke
Have you seen these inspirational World Cup soccer quotes?
More hockey quotes and sayings
51. “Hockey is a unique sport in the sense that you need each and every guy helping each other and pulling in the same direction to be successful.” – Wayne Gretzky
52. “There are no environments where you’re only going to win, because life just isn’t like that.” – Bobby Orr
53. “Hockey’s filled with great people, and it’s a great sport, and I encourage a lot of people to play it because of the relationships that you make in hockey.” – P.K. Subban
54. “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” – Wayne Gretzky
55. “Hockey should have some appeal. It’s a good game in that is full of action, very quick, and it can be high-scoring.” – Casey Eastham
56. “Some of us love hockey not just for its ferocity and skill but for its underlying code of civility off the ice.” – George Vecsey
57. “Even when you’re being safe, eight hours of choreography makes you look like you’ve been through a war. It’s hard. It’s like playing hockey for eight hours.” – David Leitch
Which of these famous hockey quotes makes you want to score a goal?
This collection of hockey quotes truly captures the essence of the sport. Whether you love playing or watching, these famous lines will bring a smile to your face. If you practice on a regular basis and put in the hard work, you can become a hockey legend. The key to success is determination, teamwork, and effort. Whenever you need a boost of motivation, reread your favorite hockey quotes.
The thrilling sport of hockey is filled with intense moments and incredible gameplay. There’s no better way to get a workout while having fun than to spend the day chasing the puck. If you try your hardest and play a good game, you can score the winning goal. Share these hockey quotes with your coaches and teammates to inspire them.
What are your favorite hockey quotes about hard work, sportsmanship, and team spirit? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 25, 2021 6:00 AM EST