Baseball fans will love these Bob Uecker quotes about a legendary player and sportscaster.
Baseball holds a special place in the hearts of millions of Americans.
A mix of slow-moving innings punctuated by moments of excitement and thrill, baseball is a source of delight and entertainment for sports fans, young and old.
Who is Bob Uecker?
Bob Uecker is a former professional baseball player, sportscaster, and entertainer from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
While Uecker had a relatively modest playing career as a catcher in the MLB, he gained fame for his humorous and self-deprecating style as a broadcaster.
His witty and entertaining commentary made him a beloved figure in baseball broadcasting.
We’ve compiled 25 quotes by Mr. Baseball that span his decades-long career on the field and in the announcer’s seat that highlight the joy baseball has brought to his life.
Quotes about Bob Uecker’s Baseball Career
Did Bob Uecker play professional baseball before he became a broadcaster?
Yes! While he didn’t have a standout career, he certainly enjoyed it!
Read on for quotes from Bob Uecker about his baseball career.
1. “I led the league in go get ’em next time.” — Bob Uecker
2. “I knew when my career was over. In 1965, my baseball card came out with no picture.” — Bob Uecker
3. “In 1962, I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs.” — Bob Uecker
4. “They broke it to me gently. The manager came up to me before a game and told me they didn’t allow visitors in the clubhouse.” — Bob Uecker
5. “Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. To last as long as I did with the skills I had, with the numbers I produced, was a triumph of the human spirit.” — Bob Uecker
Quotes from Bob Uecker About Baseball Memories
What are Bob Uecker’s career highlights?
Here are a few quotes about baseball memories like the ones Uecker often shares during his broadcasts.
6. “When I looked to the third base coach for a sign, he turned his back on me.” — Bob Uecker
7. “Career highlights? I had two. I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax, and I got out of a rundown against the Mets.” — Bob Uecker
8. “When I came up to bat with three men on and two outs in the ninth, I looked in the other team’s dugout, and they were already in street clothes.” — Bob Uecker
9. “Baseball hasn’t forgotten me. I go to a lot of old-timers games, and I haven’t lost a thing. I sit in the bullpen and let people throw things at me. Just like old times.” — Bob Uecker
10. “I had been playing for a while, and I asked Louisville Slugger to send me a dozen flame-treated bats. But when I got it, I realized they had sent me a box of ashes.” — Bob Uecker
Quotes by Bob Uecker about his Broadcasting Career
Who is ‘Mr. Baseball’? Bob Uecker’s career path took him from baseball play to broadcast commentator.
Read on for quotes by Mr. Baseball himself about his broadcast career.
11. “On TV, the people can see it. On radio, you’ve got to create it.” — Bob Uecker
12. “I make fun of situations and try and find the humor in things, but it’s never at the expense of the other guy.” — Bob Uecker
13. “I hope the fans have enjoyed listening as much as I’ve enjoyed doing the games. I don’t ever go to the park where I don’t have a good day.” — Bob Uecker
14. “I remember working first with Milo Hamilton and Ernie Johnson. And I was all fired up about that, too, until I found out that my portion of the broadcast was being used to jam Radio Free Europe.” — Bob Uecker
Quotes by Bob Uecker about the Love of Baseball
How long has Bob Uecker been in baseball?
Since the 1960s, Bob Uecker has dedicated his life to baseball.
Here are a few quotes in which he talks about his love for the sport.
15. “Where would I be without baseball? Who am I without baseball?” — Bob Uecker
16. “After getting out of the service and going into baseball, I never wanted to do anything else.” — Bob Uecker
17. “You throw batting practice, you warm up pitchers, you sit and cheer. You do whatever you have to do to stay on the team.” — Bob Uecker
18. “Not bragging by any means, but I could have done a lot of other stuff as far as working in films go and working in television… I had chances to do that stuff, but I like baseball, I really do.” — Bob Uecker
19. “Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can’t resist.” — Bob Uecker
Quotes by Bob Uecker to Make You Laugh
Are you looking for a few funny quotes by Bob Uecker?
Here are a few quotes that showcase his characteristic charisma and wit.
20. “I spent three of the best years of my life in 10th grade.” — Bob Uecker
21. “When I played baseball, I got death threats all the time–from my mother.” — Bob Uecker
22. “The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up.” — Bob Uecker
23. “I set records that will never be equaled. In fact, I hope 90% of them don’t even get printed.” — Bob Uecker
24. “I had a great shoe contract and glove contract with a company who paid me a lot of money never to be seen using their stuff.” — Bob Uecker
25. “One time, I got pulled over at four a.m. I was fined seventy-five dollars for being intoxicated and four hundred for being with the Phillies.” — Bob Uecker
Bob Uecker’s Baseball Legacy
Bob Uecker’s impact on baseball goes beyond his playing days.
The National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association named Uecker as Wisconsin Sportscaster of the Year five times and inducted him into its Hall of Fame in 2011.
Uecker’s ability to combine insightful analysis with personal stories and self-deprecating jokes has made him a fan favorite, even during less exciting games.
Let Bob Uecker’s inspiring words remind you that loving what you do means never having to work a day in your life.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Nothing can break you once you read these inspirational poems!
Keeping a motivated mind requires food for thought, and these motivational one-liners are the perfect snack.
These books for men will help you discover who you want to be, what is holding you back, and how to create a path forward.
Discover why hard work beats talent and why it’s the sustaining factor that will push you to the top of the heap and keep you there!
Check out these related quote articles:
Take a look at these Ted Williams quotes to learn more about the baseball star.
If you’re a baseball fan, you will love these Willie Mays quotes from one of the most entertaining and talented players of all time.
Baseball fans will love these Ty Cobb quotes from one of the all-time greats!
Explore the wisdom and wit of baseball icon Casey Stengel through his timeless and entertaining quotes.