If you’re holding on to something in life, these holding on quotes are for you!
The act of holding on is an unavoidable part of the human experience, a delicate dance between tenacity and vulnerability.
In this article, you’ll find quotes highlighting the challenges and profound significance of holding on in many areas of our lives.
Whether it’s pursuing our ambitions or preserving our most treasured values, join us on a reflective journey through the challenges of holding on and discovering the resilience that defines the human spirit.
Holding On Quotes
Read on for powerful quotes about holding on in life.
1. “Don’t hold on to dear life – hold life dearly.” ― Rasheed Ogunlaru
2. “Sometimes holding on is what holds you back.” ― Brittany Burgunder
3. “All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” — Havelock Ellis
4. “There is absolutely no beauty in holding onto something that you’re supposed to let go of.” ― Sai Pradeep
5. “My relationship with aging is cozy. I’m not trying to play 29 and holding on with white knuckles, you know?” — Diane Lane
6. “There is only what you want and what happens. There is only grabbing on and holding tight in the darkness.” ― Lauren Oliver
7. “Life is a delicate dance between holding on and letting go, finding balance in the ever-changing rhythms of existence.” ― Aloo Denish
8. “Humans are so strange in the ways that we are either recovering too quickly from something or holding on to pain forever.” ― Ada Limon
9. “It’s hard to know when you’ve been holding on to something until you finally let it go, or it leaves of its own accord.” ― Sara Wolf
10. “Life is just a slide. Back and forth between loving and leaving, remembering and forgetting, holding on and letting go.” ― Nicole Lyons
Holding On to Anger and Fear Quotes
These quotes caution us about the impact of holding on to anger and fear in our lives.
11. “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.” — George S. Patton
12. “When you hold a grudge, you want someone else’s sorrow to reflect your level of hurt but the two rarely meet.” ― Steve Maraboli
13. “Holding a grudge doesn’t make you strong; it makes you bitter. Forgiving doesn’t make you weak; it sets you free.” — Realistic Buddhism
14. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” — Buddha
15. “Don’t give up when dark times come. The more storms you face in life, the stronger you’ll be. Hold on. Your greater is coming.” ― Germany Kent
16. “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth.” — Joan Lunden
17. “I don’t hold grudges; I just cut people off. I don’t see a point in willingly subjecting myself to constantly being hurt by the same people.” ― Nitya Prakash
18. “Our bodies and our minds are designed to bear weight, but that doesn’t mean we need to keep holding in everything we accumulate along the way.”― Hania Khuri-Trapper
19. “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” — Dale Carnegie
20. “I do not have the luxury to keep enemies or to hold grudges a lifetime, or to wallow in things that stress me; my energy is entirely for those things that bring me peace, and for them, I’ll pursue foolhardy” ― Kelly Iyogun
Holding On to Love Quotes
These quotes highlight the joy and pain of holding on to love.
21. “I was always holding onto people, and they were always leaving.” ― Lili St. Crow
22. “Sometimes letting go is braver than holding on until you break.” ― Rebekah Crane
23. “Hopelessly holding on to bad love because of the fear of being alone.” ― Nitya Prakash
24. “But now I knew finding love and holding on to it were not the same thing.” ― Mary E. Pearson
25. “Unconditional love goes beyond holding on and letting go. Real love is about truth.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
26. “You let go of my hand to hold on to my heart. Distance grasps us tight now that we are apart.” ― Munia Khan
27. “Why was I holding on to something that would never be mine? But isn’t that what people do?” ― Bret Easton Ellis
28. “It takes love to hold on when you want to let go. It takes love to let go when you want to hold on.” ― Kate McGahan
29. “I held your hand tightly in the rain until I realized you had let me go–I was holding on in vain, I was holding on in pain.” ― Jessica de la Davies
30. “You think that holding someone hard will bring them closer. You think that you can hold them so hard that you’ll still feel them, embossed on you, when you pull away.” ― Eleanor and Park
Holding On to Yourself Quotes
Enjoy these quotes encouraging you to hold on to yourself, no matter what.
31. “It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.” — Andre Guide
32. “If you ever think about giving up, remember why you held on for so long.” — Hayley Williams
33. “The only true happiness lies in knowing who you are and making peace with it.” — Laurell K. Hamilton
34. “It’s difficult being young, but holding on to a sense of identity is really important in life.” — Claudia Jessie
35. “Let the fools hold on to their treasured stupidity. Let yourself be safe in wisdom with much rapidity.” ― Munia Khan
36. “The ground beneath you is shifting, and either you get sucked in by holding on to old ways, or you take a giant step forward by taking some risks and seeing what happens.” — Bonnie Hammer
37. “It’s fun to get lost in love and romance. It’s the best. But holding on to yourself while doing that is the most important thing.” —— Brittany Murphy
38. “Every day, I get better at knowing that it is not a choice to be an activist; rather, it is the only way to hold on to the better parts of my human self. It is the only way I can live and laugh without guilt.” — Staceyann Chin
39. “I’ve learned to try to sustain myself by holding on to the integrity of who I am. I’m not talking big diva. I’m quiet; I’m shy. And I became stronger when I stopped trying to be the person they wanted me to be.” — Crystal Waters
40. “Some incidents keep gnawing at you from the inside… But you must hold on to yourself in such moments. Life is so much more than these setbacks that we have to face in life!” ― Avijeet Das
Holding On to Hope and the Past Quotes
Read on for quotes about the beauty of holding on to hope and the detriment of holding on to your past.
41. “Funny how we can’t hold onto time, even when it’s strapped to our wrists.” ― Emily Murdoch
42. “I hold you in the safest place I keep. Somewhere between memories and scars.” ― Nicole Lyons
43. “Holding on to hope when everything is dark is the greatest test of faith.” — Yasmin Mogahed
44. “No matter how dark and hopeless a situation may seem, always hold on and never give up your dream.” ― Mouloud Benzadi
45. “Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” ― Kevin Arnold
46. “We have all suffered losses and pain, but no loss is greater than a life lost holding on to a painful past.” ― Bryant McGill
47. “We really feel happier when things look bleak. Hope is endurance. Hope is holding on and going on and trusting in the Lord.” — Michael Novak
48. “If you can’t at least hope for a possibility, then what happiness can you expect to have? You have to hold on to it, or else you’ve got nothing…” — J. Neven-Pugh
49. “The most beautiful moments always seemed to accelerate and slip beyond one’s grasp just when you want to hold onto them for as long as possible.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri
50. “He always remembered it vividly when he was in physical pain and when the limit of his strength seemed to have been reached, and it was a memory that helped him every time to hold out and to go on.” ― Romain Gary
Find Strength in Holding On and Letting Go
The act of holding on can be a sign of our determination or our stubbornness.
Holding on to something challenging but rewarding can be a source of strength, but refusing to let go of something negative robs us of our power and holds us back.
There is equal wisdom in knowing when to let go of anger, fear, or a love that no longer serves you.
In these moments of gripping tightly to our dreams, connections, and values, we discover our most authentic selves, and that’s the most crucial thing to hold on to.