When you’re stuck in these deep relationship ruts, bad relationship quotes might be a light beckoning you out from the darkness. Keep reading to see our inspirational quotes about bad relationships to hopefully inspire you to break free of yours. Reading these motivational words and heart break quotes could be the crucial first step you need to take to make a change in a more positive direction.
Often, we needed the right inspiration, support, or that little push, to help us close that chapter.
It can help to read the words of others who have been in similar situations before us, or to know that these feelings will pass.
Perhaps the most meaningful is to see others who have successfully moved on and been the better for it.
In that vein, here are some inspirational, wise, and eye-opening bad relationship quotes, bad relationship sayings, and bad relationship proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
The best bad relationship quotes and sayings
1. “It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” – Nicholas Sparks
2. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’” – Joel Osteen, ‘Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential’
3. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber, ‘Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul’
4. “You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” – C. JoyBell C.
5. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
6. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” – Steve Maraboli
7. “Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?” – Mary Manin Morrissey
8. “Lots of things can be fixed. Things can be fixed. But many times, relationships between people cannot be fixed, because they should not be fixed. You’re aboard a ship setting sail, and the other person has joined the inland circus, or is boarding a different ship, and you just can’t be with each other anymore. Because you shouldn’t be.” – C. JoyBell C.
9. “Girls you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.” – Tori Amos, ‘Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel’
10. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami, ‘Salomé: In Every Inch In Every Mile’
11. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” – Shannon L. Alder
Also check out these helpful divorce quotes that will lift you up when you’re feeling scared, confused, angry, or sad.
Toxic Relationship Quotes that are Painfully True
12. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else” – Phil McGraw
13. “Sometimes we must undergo hardships, breakups, and narcissistic wounds, which shatter the flattering image that we had of ourselves, in order to discover two truths: that we are not who we thought we were; and that the loss of a cherished pleasure is not necessarily the loss of true happiness and well-being.” – Jean-Yves Leloup
14. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term?” – Nicholas Sparks
15. “What’s broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.” – Margaret Mitchell
16. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
17. “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
18. “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” – Michael J. Fox
19. “We teach people how to treat us.” – Dr. Phil
20. “A relationship without trust is like a car without gas, you can stay in it all you want, but it won’t go anywhere.” – Unknown
21. “Maybe the most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs.” – Marianne Faithfull
Also check out these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
Bad Relationship Quotes About Moving On
22. “It is important that we forgive ourselves for making mistakes. We need to learn from our errors and move on.” – Steve Maraboli, ‘Life, the Truth, and Being Free’
23. “Sooner or later we’ve all got to let go of our past.” – Dan Brown, ‘Deception Point’
24. “Sometimes it takes heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale, ‘The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass’
25. “It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” – Gabrielle Zevin, ‘Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac’
26. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.” – Shannon L. Alder
27. “And perhaps there is a limit to the grieving that the human heart can do. As when one adds salt to a tumbler of water, there comes a point where simply no more will be absorbed.” – Sarah Waters, ‘The Little Stranger’
28. “To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest…” – H.P. Lovecraft
29. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” – Katherine Mansfield
30. “You don’t have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you.” – Jojo Moyes, ‘After You’
31. “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.” – Faraaz Kazi
32. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
33. “You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself.” – Mandy Hale, ‘The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass’
34. “I had to cease to mourn what could never be and make the most of what was possible. And I would begin doing that by trying to mend the hurts of the past.” – Cameron Dokey, ‘The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of The Ballad of Mulan’
35. “Even seasonal situations can bring with them lessons that last a lifetime. If the love doesn’t last, it prepares you for the one that will.” – Mandy Hale, ‘The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass’
36. “That’s all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” – Robyn Schneider, ‘Extraordinary Means’
Also read these when it’s time to walk away quotes.
Toxic relationship quotes to help you handle dejection
37. “No partner in a love relationship… should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable.” – May Sarton
38. “It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our George Washington quotes from America’s first president.
39. “For lack of an occasional expression of love, a relationship strong at the seams can wear thin in the middle.” –Robert Breault
40. “Love cannot live where there is no trust.” – Edith Hamilton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of trust issues quotes that will help you understand the meaning of trust.
41. “How can I let you be a priority in my life, when I’m still an option in your life?” – Hussein Nishah
42. “A bad relationship can do that, can make you doubt everything good you ever felt about yourself.” – Dionne Warwick
43. “Relationships are supposed to make you feel good. Relationships are not supposed to make you feel bad.” – Laura Bowers
See more toxic relationship quotes
Bad relationship quotes to inspire and teach
44. “If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.” – Abraham Lincoln
45. “Professionalism makes work relationships healthy, foolishness and dishonesty erodes them.” – Ty Howard
46. “We are responsible for our own relationships, their success, their failures, the good times, the bad times. Take responsibility for creating the relationships that you desire.” – Sam Owen
47. “I am a strong believer that a bad relationship must be brought to an end, no matter how.” – Unknown
48. “Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart. – Washington Irving
49. “The wrong person will give you less than what you’re worth but that doesn’t mean that you have to accept it.” – Sonya Parker
50. It is better for someone to break your heart once by leaving your life, than for them to stay in your life and break your heart continually. – Terry Mark
Toxic relationship quotes to motivate you to find one that you desire
51. “Problems in relationship occur because each person is concentrating on what is missing in the other person.” –
52. “I think it is a bad relationship when you get blamed for the things that make you who you are.” – Unknown
53. “The quality of your life is the quality of your relationships.” – Anthony Robbins
54. “When you get into a bad relationship the best thing you can do is get out of it as soon you can.” – Unknown
55. “Relationships end, but they don’t end your life.” – Steve Martin
56. “When there is no trust at all between the two of you, then you do have a bad relationship then.” – Unknown
57. “I think a relationship is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies.” – Woody Allen
58. “There is no reason to believe that a bad relationship can be fixed, sometimes you have to let go.” – Unknown
59. “I love to shop after a bad relationship. I don’t know. I buy a new outfit and it makes me feel better. It just does. Sometimes I see a really great outfit, I’ll break up with someone on purpose.” – Rita Rudner
60. “Love sometimes hurts when you’re not with the right person But, don’t give up loving.” – Unknown
61. “Learn to walk away from those who cause harm to you.” – Malika E Nura
Don’t forget to also read these misery loves company quotes to help you move forward.
Eye-opening bad relationship quotes
62. “Everybody has bad relationships and, at the end of the day, they are just a great way to set yourself up for a good relationship.” – Anne Hathaway
63. “The death of one relationship always start with the small arguments and then the suspicions.” – Unknown
64. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” – Ernest Hemingway
65. “Relationships end, but they don’t end your life. But people do often spending more time finding out about failed relationships than finding successful ones.” – Unknown
66. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Khalil Gibran
67. “Sometimes we just fall in love with the wrong people.” – Unknown
68. “If you’re giving your all and it’s not enough, you’re probably giving it to the wrong person.” – Unknown
69. “Now I believe it when people say love is blind… because I must have been blind to love a person like you.” – Mitch Cuento
70. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.”—Guy Finley
More bad relationship quotes
71. “Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.” – William James
72. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
73. “If you were in a bad relationship and you meet someone new, you’re going to leave with your luggage. The next person is going to have to endure things that someone else causes.” – Curtis Jackson
74. “There are two dilemmas that rattle the human skull: How do you hang on to someone who won’t stay? And how do you get rid of someone who won’t go?” – Danny DeVito
75. “Sometimes two people need to step apart and make a space between that each might see the other anew, in a glance across a room or silhouetted against the moon.” – Robert Breault
76. “In a relationship, when does the art of compromise become compromising?” – Sarah Jessica Parker
77. “We are born in relationship, we are wounded in relationship, and we can be healed in relationship.” – Harville Hendrix
78. “We were left with nothing because of a love like acid that ate its way through our entire family.” ― R.D. Ronald
79. “Relationships based on obligation lack dignity.” – Wayne Dyer
80. “Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, and don’t put up with people that are reckless with yours.” – Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Toxic relationship quotes to make you strong
81. “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.”― John Mark Green
82. “Losing will not always amount to a loss, sometimes you have to lose those toxic relationships and bad habits to create a space for better things.”― Gift Gugu Mona
83. “You don’t know what’s right or wrong. You’ve been told ‘you’re crazy’ ‘you´re overreacting’ so many times you started to believe that’s the truth.”― Anna Akana
84. “We all have that toxic people around us that make our lives miserable… The day we take them out from our lives, we will all become better people; including them…”― Rodolfo Peon
85. “Fire False Friends as early as possible. Do it before they dig out the dream seeds you’ve planted! The earlier, the better; the quicker, the safer!”― Israelmore Ayivor
86. “There are people who break you down by just being them. They need not do anything. Dissociate.”― Malebo Sephodi
87. “There are only two kinds of people who can drain your energy: those you love, and those you fear. In both instances it is you who let them in. They did not force their way into your aura, or pry their way into your reality experience.”― Anthon St. Maarten
88. “Sometimes you don’t get closure, you just move on.”― Karen Salmansohn
89. “Forgiveness is a personal process that doesn’t depend on us having direct contact with the people who have hurt us.”― Sharon Salzberg
90. “Sometimes it’s better to end something & try to start something new than imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.”― Karen Salmansohn
91. “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.”― Chinonye J. Chidolue
92. “I felt an inner peace and softness. My Berlin Wall had been cracked; the toxic relationship between me and that critical voice had been severed.”― Penny De Villiers
93. “You fell in love with my flowers but not my roots, so when Autumn arrived you didn’t know what to do.” – Unknown
94. “It is really exhausting to live in a dictatorship of ‘Me’, which is basically a tyranny of others.”―
95. “If someone keeps bringing you down, perhaps it’s time to get up and leave.”― Karen Salmansohn
If you’re in search of uplifting disappointment quotes about life, work, and love, then these inspirational words will serve you well.
More bad relationship quotes
96. “When you get out of it, you realize how toxic it actually was.” – Steve Maraboli
97. “Sometimes trying to fix them, breaks you.” – Steve Maraboli
98. “The creative process is lost in a toxic environment. The risk of staying is too great because in it you may never reach your full destiny.” – Germany Kent
99. “The hardest part of being in an emotionally abusive relationship, it’s actually admitting you’re in one.” – Anna Akana
100. “Just say no to complicated, dead-end, unhealthy, and toxic relationships.” – Stephanie Lahart
101. “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times you may have to step outside yourself, to see yourself, so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” – Angel Moreira
102. “Toxic relationships are like a good pasta that has been overcooked.” – Asa Don Brown
103. “Sometimes the hardest part isn’t letting go but rather learning to start over.” – Nicole Sobon
104. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake & help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
105. “When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.” – Shannon Alder
How did you find these bad relationship quotes?
It’s alright to feel hesitant or even afraid to cut loose a relationship you know has gone sour. More so if you know you and your partner are already hurting one another. Everyone goes through these emotions, albeit in different situations.
A relationship gone badly doesn’t need to define you – or your happiness in the future. Through the tears, have hope that skies will clear up soon.
It may not be tomorrow, or the day after that. But soon, things will be better. After all, they say that a face full of smiles used to be filled with tears.
We hope these toxic relationship quotes have helped give you renewed strength and faith to keep moving forward.
Which of these bad relationship quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below.
March 11, 2021 6:00 AM EST