Our latest collection of honesty quotes that will help appreciate the value of being truthful.
Honesty means doing things that are morally right. When one is honest, it means they’re truthful, trustworthy, sincere, loyal and fair.
Honesty is one of the most important attributes in life. It gives you peace of mind where you’re not troubled by the lies you tell.
By being honest, people will always trust and respect you. Besides, honesty strengthens bonds and creates more meaningful connections in relationships.
If you want to be a more honest person, the first step is to be yourself. One of the reasons why people are always dishonest is because they try to be somebody they’re not.
Be honest with yourself. You cannot be honest with others if you’re dishonest with yourself.
Changing the things that make you lie is another step towards being a more honest person.
If, for example, you lie about drinking and smoking, change the habit. You’ll then have no reason to be dishonest about it.
Honesty is a gift that many people don’t seem to possess. Hopefully, the honesty quotes below will help you understand the importance and value of truthfulness.
Honesty quotes on life, love and success
1. “Honesty is the fastest way to prevent a mistake from turning into a failure.” – James Altucher
2. “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
3. I believe fundamental honesty is the keystone of business. – Harvey S. Firestone
4. “The first step is, to be honest, and then to be noble.” – Winston Churchill
5. “Truth never damages a cause that is just.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
6. “Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway.” – Mother Teresa
7. The foundation stones for balanced success are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love, and loyalty. – Zig Ziglar
8. Honesty is of God and dishonesty of the devil; the devil was a liar from the beginning. – Joseph B. Wirthlin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of devil quotes that will help you triumph against evil.
9. The elegance of honesty needs no adornment. – Mary Browne
10. “Honesty is a very expensive gift, Don’t expect it from cheap people.” ― Warren Buffett
Honesty quotes to remind of the importance of this virtue
11. “Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” – John Lennon
12. “If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.” ― Virginia Woolf
13. Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters. ― Albert Einstein
14. Honesty is the rarest wealth anyone can possess, and yet all the honesty in the world ain’t lawful tender for a loaf of bread. – Josh Billings
15. True honesty is hard. Throughout my career, I’ve faced moments where I’ve needed to take an honest look at myself and face some very uncomfortable realities. – Les Brown
16. “I admire honesty more than any other trait.” – Jerry Reinsdorf
17. “Honesty and loyalty are key.” – Taylor Lautner
18. Simple honesty of purpose in a man goes a long way in life, if founded on a just estimate of himself and a steady obedience to the rule he knows and feels to be right. – Samuel Smiles
19. “It takes strength and courage to admit the truth.” ― Rick Riordan
20. “Honest people don’t hide their deeds.” ― Emily Brontë
Honesty quotes about relationships
21. The establishment of any relationship, both individual and expert is honesty. – Alexander Mejia
22. “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” ― Spencer Johnson
23. “Friends are honest with each other. Even if the truth hurts.-Maggie” ― Sarah Dessen
24. Honesty is one of the most important parts of any marriage. – Amanda Thompson
25. “It’s difficult to honest with others when you continue lying to yourself.”― Carlos Wallace
26. “We have no relationship without honesty. – by Claude”― Emily Giffin
27. One honest relationship can be more productive than fistfuls of business cards. – Susan Cain
28. I’d never managed anyone before, so I don’t have a lot of experience. But I’m lucky – I have a lot of team members who have a really honest relationship with me. – Ben Silbermann
29. Honesty doesn’t always pay, but dishonesty always costs. ~Michael Josephson
30. Our lives improve only when we take chances – and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves.― Walter Anderson
You might also like these inspirational perception quotes about truth and reality.
Inspiring quotes about being honest
31. “It’s discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.” ― Noël Coward
32. All I’m ever looking for in my work in general is honesty and truth and people being real to themselves. – O Tillett Wright
33. Honesty pays, but it don’t seem to pay enough to suit some people. – Frank McKinney
34. If you tell the truth, you don’t need a long memory. – Jesse Ventura
35. Honest hearts produce honest actions. – Brigham Young
36. Always tell the truth. That way you don’t have to remember what you said. – Mark Twain
37. Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less rascal in the world. ~Thomas Carlyle
38. Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. ~Mark Twain
39. “To be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.” ― William Shakespeare
40. To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful.― Edward R. Murrow
Honesty quotes to inspire and teach
41. “To tell the truth is very difficult, and young people are rarely capable of it.”― Leo Tolstoy
42. Pretty much all the honest truth telling in the world is done by children. ~ Oliver Wendell
43. To make your children capable of honesty is the beginning of education.― John Ruskin
44. The truth needs so little rehearsal. ~Barbara Kingsolver
45. It is better to suffer for truth than to prosper by falsehood. – Danish
46. “You don’t always have to chop with the sword of truth. You can point with it too.” ― Anne Lamott
47. “Though I am not naturally honest, I am sometimes so by chance.” ― William Shakespeare
48. Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. – Henry David Thoreau
49. An honest man is believed without an oath, for his reputation swears for him. – ELIZA COOK
50. “You cannot con an honest man.” ― Ally Carter
Honesty quotes to elevate your mind
51. “You can fool people some of the time, but you can’t fool them all of the time.” – Aesop
52. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
53. “The best thing about telling the truth is…you don’t have to remember what you said!” – Unknown
54. “Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.” – Kent M. Keith
55. “Pay what you owe and what you’re worth you’ll know.” – Benjamin Franklin
56. “The real things haven’t changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful.” – Laura Ingalls Wilder
57. “No legacy is as rich as honesty.” – Unknown
58. “Living with integrity means: Speaking your truth, even though it might create conflict or tension.” – Barbara De Angelis
59. “Honesty is the best policy.” – Aesop
60. “Don’t ever regret being honest. Period.” – Taylor Swift
Honesty quotes that will change your perspective
61. “There is nothing so strong or safe in an emergency of life as the simple truth.” – Charles Dickens
62. “People all over the nation are starved for honesty and common sense.” – Ben Carson
63. “Brutal, inner honesty… The three scariest words on the planet, and yet, at the same time, the very KEY that unlocks all the doors.” – Ken Dahl
64. “Just be honest with yourself. That opens the door.” – Vernon Howard
65. “It is difficult, but not impossible, to conduct strictly honest business.” – Mahatma Gandhi
66. “Honesty prospers in every condition of life.” – Friedrich Schiller
67. “An honest man in politics shines more there than he would elsewhere.” – Mark Twain
68. “Honesty has a power that very few people can handle.” – Steven Aitchison
69. “If you’re not honest with yourself, how can you be truly honest with anyone else?” – Paul Williams
70. “Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth-telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving.” – James E. Faust
More honesty quotes and sayings
71. “You can’t lie to your soul.” – Irvine Welsh
72. “Hiding how you really feel and trying to make everyone happy doesn’t make you nice, it just makes you a liar.” – Jenny O’Connell
73. “Nothing in this world is harder than speaking the truth, nothing easier than flattery.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
74. “To conceal anything from those to whom I am attached, is not in my nature. I can never close my lips where I have opened my heart.” – Charles Dickens
75. “I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.” – Abraham Lincoln
76. “Better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.” – Khaled Hosseini
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of lies quotes for healing and moving on.
77. “You should not honor men more than truth.” – Plato
78. “Can you honestly love a dishonest thing?” – John Steinbeck
79. “Love is honesty. Love is a mutual respect for one another.” – Simone Elkeles
80. “When you walk a life of honesty, you live a life of truth.” – Therese Benedict
Which are your favorite honesty quotes?
Honesty is one of the most important values in life. It brings trust, respect, and peace of mind. Besides, it also helps create deeper and more meaningful connections in relationships of all kind.
Although honesty is regarded as one of the greatest moral attributes since ancient times, not many people seem to possess this gift.
Hopefully, the honesty quotes above have inspired you to be honest with yourself and with the people around you.
Did you enjoy these honesty quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
March 22, 2021 6:00 AM EST