These Inky Johnson quotes will inspire you to use your inner strength to overcome any obstacles that stand in the way of your dreams.
Inquoris ‘Inky’ Johnson has a story that began in a way that is sadly too prevalent here in America. He was born to a teenage mother in the inner city of Atlanta.
His mom worked double shifts at Wendy’s and had to move in with her family when Inky was little. He recounts how there were 14 people living in that house among the roaches and the rats. He attended a high school that police and administrators alike said, “no one goes to college from.”
When you listen to Inky speak, it is clear where his story becomes different from the thousands of children suffering from trauma. That initial choice, the conception of an idea that will break the cycle.
For Inky, it was brought on by the way his football coaches lived. He realized that not everyone went through life like his family and that there was another way. College ball.
Through football, he believed he could change the trajectories of not only his life but his family’s too. And then came the accident that could have derailed it all. These Inky Johnson quotes offer inspiration to anyone in a similar situation.
Don’t forget to also check out these overcoming challenges quotes about life and tough times.
Inky Johnson quotes filled with life advice
1. “Play the hand you’re dealt like it’s the one you’ve always wanted.” — Inky Johnson
2. “The process is more important than the product.” — Inky Johnson
3. “Show up. Don’t quit. Live it. Don’t quit. Appreciate it. Don’t quit.” — Inky Johnson
4. “If you can’t handle someone at their worst, then you don’t deserve them when they are at their best.” — Inky Johnson
5. “Try to be better than the person you were yesterday.” — Inky Johnson
6. “Give everything to everything.” — Inky Johnson
7. “It’s not just a game.” — Inky Johnson
8. “You can’t change what’s going on around you until you change what’s going on within you!” — Inky Johnson
Inky Johnson quotes about work and Success
9. “It’s not where you’re trying to go in life that is the problem. It’s what you are willing to leave behind in order to get there.” — Inky Johnson
10. “Will you stay true to what you said you were going to do?” — Inky Johnson
11. “Courage is the commitment to being without any guarantee of success.” — Inky Johnson
12. “Your expectations should never be higher than your work ethic.” — Inky Johnson
13. “I firmly believe you’re never supposed to wish for more than you’re willing to work for. Expectations should never exceed your effort.” — Inky Johnson
14. “Perspective drives performance every day of the week.” — Inky Johnson
15. “Then I dare you to do it again tomorrow and the day after that until it becomes part of you.” — Inky Johnson
Inky Johnson quotes about pain and adversity
16. “The ability to learn is a gift, even when pain is our teacher.” — Inky Johnson
17. “Redirection, pain, setbacks, shortcoming, highs, lows. They are all part of the process of success. Embrace it, respect it, and trust it.” — Inky Johnson
18. “People get upset not because of the adversity they face but because their adversity reveals who they really are.” — Inky Johnson
19. “I dare you to watch this and not be changed.” — Inky Johnson
20. “Press through the struggles and appreciate what they, too, have to contribute to who you become.” — Inky Johnson
21. “Never let a situation or circumstance define your life, no matter what it may be.” — Inky Johnson
22. “There was a better life out there if I made the right decisions and right choices.” — Inky Johnson
Inky Johnson quotes that ignite your sense of purpose
23. “Someday, you will look back and understand why it all happened the way it did.” — Inky Johnson
24. (Speaking of football) “It is life compressed, and it can teach players, coaches, and even fans many of the same life lessons on an accelerated schedule.” — Inky Johnson
25. “See something. Believe in it and go get it.” — Inky Johnson
26. “Become a champion for life. Become a Vol for Life. Be like Inky.” — Inky Johnson
27. “The longer it takes to happen, the more you’ll appreciate it when it finally does.” — Inky Johnson
28. “Life is a gift. Have fun and crush it this week!” — Inky Johnson
29. “The most important project you can work on is molding yourself into the person you want to become.” — Inky Johnson
30. “The most important project you can work on is molding yourself into the person you want to become.” — Inky Johnson
What did you learn from these Inky Johnson quotes?
Inky graduated from the high school people thought he should transfer out of. So did his wife. He played college ball for the University of Tennessee and was one step closer to his dream of being in the NFL.
Then life happened and in a cruel twist of irony, the very thing that had motivated him, and was a tangible ticket out of trauma town, was no longer an option. A routine tackle, which turned into a life-threatening injury because of blood vessel damage, would paralyze his right arm.
Football would not provide Inky with the way out, in the way he had always assumed it would. Instead, he studied psychology and became a motivational speaker.
Inky is driven by something much greater than a love of football, or the ability to tell his story to others. He is a survivor, and that ability is not learned. We can all survive if we have the strength to make the choice to keep going.
Even when everything around us is trying to break us, remember your “why?” It is not in the “how,” but in the “why” that we draw the strength Inky reminds us we all possess.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Inky Johnson quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 24, 2020 7:00 AM EST