If you are interested in self-defense, then check out these Self-Defense quotes!
Self-Defense is the art and ability to defend oneself from attack to prevent being harmed.
Having Self-Defense skills is beneficial in the following ways:
- Builds self-confidence – hopefully, you will not have to use your skills, but simply having them builds confidence that you can handle situations if they arise.
- Builds self-discipline – as with any discipline, self-defense takes consistent, dedicated effort to become proficient.
- Improves Health – the physical nature of self-defense training builds muscle and releases stress.
- Allows you to protect yourself and loved ones – if you are ever in a dangerous situation, you will want to be able to protect your loved ones.
- Build a community – as with anything you are involved in, taking self-defense classes allows you to meet other people interested in the same things.
Take a few minutes to read these Self-Defense quotes to learn more about the art of self-defense.
Best Self-Defense Quotes
Enjoy some of the best quotes about self-defense.
1. “I read in self-defense.” — Woody Allen
2. “I only direct in self-defense.” — Mel Brooks
3. “How you train is how it will come out.” — David James
4. “Your mindset is your primary weapon.” — Jeff Cooper
5. “The right of self-defense never ceases.” — James Monroe
6. “Great results can be achieved with small forces.” — Sun Tzu
7. “I have a self-defense mind. I’ve had it all my life.” — Conor McGregor
8. “Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price.” — Sun Tzu
9. “Defense involves three things: courage, energy, intelligence.” — Don Meyer
10. “‘Does anyone teach girls of the inn to protect themselves?’” — Kristin Cashore
Self-Defense Quotes For Women
Women are more vulnerable to being abducted, so learning self-defense is extra important.
11. “A woman who carries a knife is ready for trouble.” — Patrick Rothfuss
12. “I think it’s [self-defense] a really important thing – especially for women.” — Milla Jovovich
13. “Women’s aggression isn’t considered real. It isn’t dangerous; it’s only cute.” — Katherine Dunn
14. “The world is a scary place. Even my mother has suggested I take a self-defense class.” — Iliza Shlesinger
15. “Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
16. “Beautiful girls should know how to defend themselves against the advances of gentlemen.” — Cassandra Clare
17. “I am alarmed that dozens of women out to search for food for their families were abducted in broad daylight.” — Volker Turk
18. “Our nation was built and civilized by men and women who used guns in self-defense and in pursuit of peace.” — Ronald Reagan
19. “Learning self-defense skills benefits women in ways that extend beyond discovering how to protect themselves.” — Joel Schwarz
20. “When I was carjacked, they pulled me out of the car and tried pushing me to the back, and that’s when I knew I was being kidnapped. I punched the guy in the throat, and it gave me enough space to run away.” — Demi-Leigh Tebow
Motivational Self-Defense Quotes
As you read these quotes and sayings about self-defense, allow them to motivate you.
21. “Self-defense is not only our right; it is our duty.” — Ronald Reagan
22. “Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.” — Samurai Maxim
23. “Protecting yourself is self-defense. Protecting others is warriorship.” — Bodhi Sanders
25. “Self-defense is so important to know in today’s society. It’s not just that you might get mugged.” — Milla Jovovich
26. “Self-defense, self-confidence, discipline, and self-control. The values you learn are priceless.” — Rickson Gracie
27. “The criminal does not expect his prey to fight back. May he never choose you, but if he does, surprise him.” — Jeff Cooper
28. “Self-defense is not just a set of techniques; it’s a state of mind, and it begins with the belief that you are worth defending.” — Rorion Gracie
29. “Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.” — George Orwell
30. “I am never proud to participate in violence, yet, I know that each of us must care enough for ourselves, that we can be ready and able to come to our own defense when and wherever needed.” — Maya Angelou
Self-Defense Quotes to Inspire You
Check out these inspirational quotes about defending yourself.
31. “Everybody’s got a plan until they get smacked in the face.” — Mike Tyson
32. “There isn’t any real good reason for fighting except self-defense.” — S.E. Hinton
33. “Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” — Bruce Lee
34. “The core of our defense is the faith we have in the institutions we defend.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
35. “To be prepared for war is the most effective means of maintaining peace.” — George Washington
36. “Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.” — Benjamin Franklin
37. “It is true that a victim who fights back may suffer for it, but one who does not almost certainly will suffer for it.” — Jeff Cooper
38. “[Self-defense is] justly called the primary law of nature, so it is not, neither can it be in fact, taken away by the laws of society.” — William Blackstone
39. “It is high time for society to stop worrying about the criminal and to let the criminal start worrying about society. And by ‘society,’ I mean you.” — Jeff Cooper
40. “For the longest time, my older brother told me he was teaching me self-defense, but now that I’m grown up, I realize he was just practicing his martial arts on me.” — Olga Fonda
More Self-Defense Quotes
Here are some more inspiring quotes about self-defense.
41. “The first right of every human being is the right of self-defense.” — Larry Craig
42. “The only defense against the world is a thorough knowledge of it.” — John Locke
43. “In training self-defense, there’s no cost….it’s an investment.” — Coach Michael Joyce
44. “The essential thing is to bear always in mind that trouble can appear at any time.” — Jeff Cooper
45. “You do not have the right to take another human’s life unless it’s in strict self-defense.” — Michael Moore
46. “‘How can you protect yourself by carrying a sword if you don’t know how to use it?’” — Terry Pratchett
47. “Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one.” — Gloria Steinem
48. “My father was the first person to introduce me to self-defense and martial arts, which I’ve been doing all my life now.” — Joe R. Lansdale
49. “The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
50. “There’s only one basic principle of self-defense- you must apply the most effective weapon, as soon as possible, to the most vulnerable target.” — Bruce Lee
What Type of Self-Defense Can You Learn?
There are many types of self-defense that you can choose from so that you can find one that suits you.
Options for self-defense include, but are not limited to:
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Firearm Training
Please share these Self-Defense quotes with others by clicking the share button!