Looking for inspirational challenge quotes about tough times in life, work and love?
All of us will face challenges in our lives.
If someone lives such a charmed life that they never have to face adversity, they should consider themselves an exceptional unicorn.
Challenges show themselves in many ways.
The way you face a challenge says a great deal about you.
While some people struggle to overcome challenges, others seem to meet them with confidence.
Facing challenges head-on can bring a sense of satisfaction and can be very fulfilling.
If you are someone who has a tendency to shy away from hardship, perhaps you can gain some motivation and perspective from these inspirational challenge quotes.
Also check out our selection of quotes about being strong.
Challenge quotes about life, love and work
1. “It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed. The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties.” – Abigail Adams
2. “ Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he’s dead.” – Bette Davis
4. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
5. “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” – Randy Pausch
6. “I don’t run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run towards it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your foot.” – Nadia Comaneci
7. “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.” – Chinese proverb
8. “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back.” – Paulo Coelho
9. “There is a tendency at every important but difficult crossroad to pretend that it’s not really there.” – Bill McKibben
Challenge quotes to inspire you to better accept and meet your hardships
10. “Our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
11. “You see a mousetrap; I see free cheese and a fucking challenge!” – Scroobius Pip
12. “Hope and change are hard-fought things.” – Michelle Obama
13. “I’ve learned that success comes in a very prickly package. Whether you choose to accept it or not is up to you. It’s what you choose to do with it, the people you choose to surround yourself with. Always choose people that are better than you. Always choose people that challenge you and are smarter than you. Always be the student. Once you find yourself to be the teacher, you’ve lost it.” – Sandra Bullock
14. “Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
15. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” – Albert Einstein
16. “I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it’s going to work or whether I’m going to fall flat on my face.” – Johnny Depp
17. “We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” – John F. Kennedy
Don’t forget to also read these resilience quotes and sayings that will inspire your next comeback.
Challenges Quotes To Tell Yourself
18. “To be tested is good. The challenged life may be the best therapist.” – Gail Sheehy
19. “To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do therefore is to strive and persevere and never give up.” – Dalai Lama
20. “If you are facing a new challenge or being asked to do something that you have never done before don’t be afraid to step out. You have more capability than you think you do but you will never see it unless you place a demand on yourself for more.” – Joyce Meyer
21. “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It’s not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it’s a day you’ve had everything to do and you’ve done it.” – Margaret Thatcher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Thatcher quotes about strong will and leadership.
22. “If you compared your troubles, or challenges, with those of others, you would surely find that there are those whose troubles make yours look like minor inconveniences.” – Catherine Pulsifer
23. “Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.” – Author Unknown, Be Thankful
24. “Understand that it is ok to be scared or uncertain, however right beyond those barriers ultimately lies your dreams.” – Josh Hinds
25. “By cultivating gratitude you eventually expand your internal sense of what is possible, regardless of seeming obstacles and challenges you go through.” – Veronica Smith, Loving Yourself
26. “A life filled with vicissitudes, uncertainty, and hard lessons provides us with skills to better approach new challenges that come along.” – Vivian Eisenecher, Recovering Me, Discovering Joy
27. “We must allow ourselves to be adorned by lessons derived through hardships and challenges.” – Tony Narams, Top Secret: You Can Fly Like An Eagle
More challenge quotes about life and work
28. “Focused will is incredible. If you have a dream and you don’t give up no matter what obstacles come up, then life’s problems will fall away, and you will get what you want. It happens. It works.” – Yanni
29. “Part of the challenge that comes with striving for success is how the entire journey comes with its own fair share of failures and disappointments.” – Rupert Johnson, Build for Success
30. “I have also worked with leaders who have a positive outlook, and the morale is so different. Even when faced with challenges, the people looked for solutions.” – Byron and Catherine Pulsifer
31. “Expect obstacles and face them head-on. They are going to come up, so the way you handle them is what makes all the difference.” – Lance Dale, A Shot of Positivity: Overcoming Obstacles
32. “Challenges are an opportunity to test you and rise to the next level.” – Angelica Montrose, 7 Steps To Getting A Promotion
33. “Sometimes, instead of climbing over the barricades, you’ve got to walk around them.” – Bono
34. “A comfort zone is the most dangerous area anyone can stay in. It is a place of no growth and no challenges.” – Brian Cagney, Fear: The 7 Laws Of Fear
35. “Smiling is a wonderful way to get a boost of happiness. The next time life presents you with a challenging situation, take a deep breath and smile.” – Morris Pratt, The Secret of Positive Thinking
36. “You need to have self-esteem to be able to adequately tackle the challenges that life throws at you.” – Minka Ferguson, Depression and Anxiety
You might also like these second chances quotes and sayings that will inspire you to take life by the horns
More Beautiful Challenge Quotes
37. “The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” – Molière
38. “The opportunity to develop resilience comes through difficult circumstances that both highlight and challenge existing mindsets.” – Devra Davis, Through Grief and Beyond: What We Don’t Get Told
39. “What we choose to do on a daily basis prepares us for the greater things God has in store; those faith challenges that will take us into our promised land.” – Lisa Cook, 30 Days of Strength for a Woman’s Heart
40. “But that’s the challenge – to change the system more than it changes you.” – Michael Pollan
41. “If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” – T.S. Eliot
42. “Jesus didn’t waste time worrying. He had plenty to worry about if He chose to. It wasn’t a matter of ignoring His challenges. In fact, He spent a great deal of time praying these things through with His father.” – Beth Beutler, Time Management, Jesus’ Way
43. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
44. “Likewise, family caregivers can go a long way toward helping parents or other loved ones stay in their own homes, but only if they understand the challenges of caregiving and know how to get help and support.” – Denise Logeland, 10 Things Every Family Should Know
45. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
46. “Challenging your thought patterns when you are feeling anxiety can help you to avoid those overwhelming panic sensations.” – Jeff Gunn, Panic and Anxiety Relief
47. “A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it.” – Ray Davis
Challenge quotes to remind you of your strength
48. Being Challenged In Life Is Inevitable, Being Defeated Is Optional. – Roger Crawford
49. Success Is Due To Our Stretching To The Challenges Of Life. Failure Comes When We Shrink From Them. – John C. Maxwell
50. “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” — Viktor Frankl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
51. No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach. –Donald Trump
52. One has to move from one’s comfort zone to challenge oneself. – Dulquer Salmaan
53. “I’d rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.” — George Burns
54. “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.” ― Seneca
55. “Happiness is not the absence of problems; it’s the ability to deal with them.” ― Steve Maraboli
56. There are no great people in this world, only great challenges which ordinary people rise to meet. – William Frederick Halsey, Jr.
57. A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.– Nelson Mandela
58. Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible”!– Audrey Hepburn
59. When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.– Helen Keller
60. It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.– Vince Lombardi
Inspiring challenge quotes to give you strength
61. “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” – George S. Patton
62. “Your character is formed by the challenges you face and overcome.” – Nick Vujicic
63. “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” – Robert H. Schuller
64. “Learn from the stories of people who faced challenges you haven’t yet experienced.” – Joanna Barsh
65. “Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.” – Cicely Tyson
66. “Expect obstacles and face them head on. They are going to come up so the way you handle them is what makes all the difference.” – Lance Dale
67. “The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” – Arnold Palmer
68. “Real difficulties can be overcome; it is the imaginary ones that are unconquerable.” – Theodore Newton Vail
69. “To be successful you must accept all challenges that come your way. You can’t just accept the ones you like.” – Mike Kafka
70. “It’s too easy to walk away quitter never wins so you should better stay look challenges straight in the eye.” – Z. Vujcic
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of walk away quotes to help you find the motivation and courage you need to change your life.
Other inspirational challenge quotes
71. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
72. “Just be prepared for a long and often uncertain journey. The good stuff doesn’t come easy.” – Tim Westergren
73. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” – J. M. Barrie
74. “Life is tough, my darling, but so are you.” – Stephanie Bennett-Henry
75. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” – Les Brown
76. “Much of life isn’t fair. It’s how you live that matters. It’s how you deal with the bumps in the road.” – Maya Banks
77. Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” – Benjamin Spock
78. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
79. “Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.” – Tony Robbins
80. “Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.” – T. Harv Eker
More challenge quotes and sayings
81. “Life is about accepting the challenges along the way, choosing to keep moving forward, and savoring the journey.” – Roy T. Bennett
82. “Every challenge you face today makes you stronger tomorrow. The challenge of life is intended to make you better, not bitter.” – Roy T. Bennett
83. “One word of encouragement can be enough to spark someone’s motivation to continue with a difficult challenge.” – Roy T. Bennett
84. “Go make your mark on the world. Be a world changer! Live bold for Christ no matter the cost.” – Crystal Woodman Miller
85. “God tests, but he does not tempt.” – Criss Jami
86. “You have come a long way and have won many battles. Whenever you’re faced with a difficult or challenging situation, you’ll overcome it. Yes, you can.” – Roy T. Bennett
87. “Life throws challenges and every challenge comes with rainbows and lights to conquer it.” – Amit Ray
88. “Be a bit of a challenge; not because you’re playing games but because you realize you’re worth the extra effort.” – Mandy Hale
89. “The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.” – Benedict Cumberbatch
90. “Comfort is your biggest trap and coming out of comfort zone your biggest challenge.” – Manoj Arora
Did you enjoy these challenge quotes?
The most successful people in the world have faced some of the most significant challenges. But they have persevered and become achievers because of the way they handle adversity.
They have learned from their failures. They know not to fear a challenge, but to embrace it as a chance to continually grow and improve.
As they say, it is not how many times you fall down; it is how many times you get back up. Hopefully, these challenge quotes have inspired you to better accept and meet your challenges, whatever they may be.
Did you enjoy these challenge quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
March 18, 2021 6:00 AM EST