Sometimes life can get tough, but these inspiring challenge quotes are sure to motivate you through the hard times. If one of these quotes inspired you, share it with us in the comments below.
All of us will face challenges in our lives.
If someone lives such a charmed life that they never have to face adversity, they should consider themselves an exceptional unicorn.
Challenges show themselves in many ways.
The way you face a challenge says a great deal about you.
While some people struggle to overcome challenges, others seem to meet them with confidence.
Facing challenges head-on can bring a sense of satisfaction and can be very fulfilling.
If you are someone who has a tendency to shy away from hardship, perhaps you can gain some motivation and perspective from these inspirational challenge quotes.
Also, check out our selection of quotes about being strong.
Challenge quotes about life, love and work
1. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” – Albert Einstein
2. “ Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
3. “The key to life is accepting challenges. Once someone stops doing this, he’s dead.” – Bette Davis
4. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
5. “Only those who confront unusual challenges can flaunt unusual success.”― Vincent Okay Nwachukwu
6. “I don’t run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run towards it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your foot.” – Nadia Comaneci
7. “The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.” – Chinese proverb
8. “You see a mousetrap; I see free cheese and a fucking challenge!” – Scroobius Pip
9. “There is a tendency at every important but difficult crossroad to pretend that it’s not really there.” – Bill McKibben
Challenge quotes to inspire you to better accept and meet your hardships
10. “Our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
11. “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back.” – Paulo Coelho
12. “Hope and change are hard-fought things.” – Michelle Obama
13. “Remember, rainbows have never been attracted to cloudless days. They only follow the storms.”― Richelle E. Goodrich
14. “Women, like men, should try to do the impossible. And when they fail, their failure should be a challenge to others.” – Amelia Earhart
15. “It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed. The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties.” – Abigail Adams
16. “I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it’s going to work or whether I’m going to fall flat on my face.” – Johnny Depp
17. “We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” – John F. Kennedy
Don’t forget to also read these resilience quotes and sayings that will inspire your next comeback.
Challenges Quotes To Tell Yourself
18. “To be tested is good. The challenged life may be the best therapist.” – Gail Sheehy
19. “To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do therefore is to strive and persevere and never give up.” – Dalai Lama
20. “Embracing each challenge can turn it into a privilege.”― Tonmoy Acharjee
21. “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It’s not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it’s a day you’ve had everything to do and you’ve done it.” – Margaret Thatcher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Thatcher quotes about strong will and leadership.
22. “If you compared your troubles, or challenges, with those of others, you would surely find that there are those whose troubles make yours look like minor inconveniences.” – Catherine Pulsifer
23. “Challenges contain the seeds of our glory.”― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
24. “Understand that it is ok to be scared or uncertain, however right beyond those barriers ultimately lies your dreams.” – Josh Hinds
25. “By cultivating gratitude you eventually expand your internal sense of what is possible, regardless of seeming obstacles and challenges you go through.” – Veronica Smith, Loving Yourself
26. “A life filled with vicissitudes, uncertainty, and hard lessons provides us with skills to better approach new challenges that come along.” – Vivian Eisenecher, Recovering Me, Discovering Joy
27. “We must allow ourselves to be adorned by lessons derived through hardships and challenges.” – Tony Narams, Top Secret: You Can Fly Like An Eagle
Don’t forget to also check out these depression quotes on mental health to help you feel understood.
More challenge quotes about life and work
28. “It isn’t the challenge that defines you. It’s what you do with it.”― Sharon Pearson
29. “Part of the challenge that comes with striving for success is how the entire journey comes with its own fair share of failures and disappointments.” – Rupert Johnson, Build for Success
30. “I have also worked with leaders who have a positive outlook, and the morale is so different. Even when faced with challenges, the people looked for solutions.” – Byron and Catherine Pulsifer
31. “Expect obstacles and face them head-on. They are going to come up, so the way you handle them is what makes all the difference.” – Lance Dale, A Shot of Positivity: Overcoming Obstacles
32. “Challenges are an opportunity to test you and rise to the next level.” – Angelica Montrose, 7 Steps To Getting A Promotion
33. “Until you dare to take on new challenges you wouldn’t discover your full potential.”― Bernard Kelvin Clive
34. “A comfort zone is the most dangerous area anyone can stay in. It is a place of no growth and no challenges.” – Brian Cagney, Fear: The 7 Laws Of Fear
35. “Smiling is a wonderful way to get a boost of happiness. The next time life presents you with a challenging situation, take a deep breath and smile.” – Morris Pratt, The Secret of Positive Thinking
36. “Life is not merciful; it throws a challenge at you when you are least prepared.”― Dr. Prem Jagyasi
You might also like these second chances quotes and sayings that will inspire you to take life by the horns
More Beautiful Challenge Quotes
37. “The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” – Molière
38. “The opportunity to develop resilience comes through difficult circumstances that both highlight and challenge existing mindsets.” – Devra Davis, Through Grief and Beyond: What We Don’t Get Told
39. “What we choose to do on a daily basis prepares us for the greater things God has in store; those faith challenges that will take us into our promised land.” – Lisa Cook, 30 Days of Strength for a Woman’s Heart
40. “But that’s the challenge – to change the system more than it changes you.” – Michael Pollan
41. “If you aren’t in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” – T.S. Eliot
42. “Face your challenges head-on rather than surrendering your dreams to fear.”― Frank Sonnenberg
Don’t forget to also read our collection of quotes about losing a loved one to help you express the feelings behind loss.
43. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
44. “Always, always break through the challenges.”― Prof. Salam Al Shereida
45. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
46. “All the world is full of suffering. It is also full of overcoming.” – Helen Keller
47. “A challenge only becomes an obstacle when you bow to it.” – Ray Davis
Challenge quotes to remind you of your strength
48. Being Challenged In Life Is Inevitable, Being Defeated Is Optional. – Roger Crawford
49. Success Is Due To Our Stretching To The Challenges Of Life. Failure Comes When We Shrink From Them. – John C. Maxwell
50. “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” — Viktor Frankl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
51. No dream is too big. No challenge is too great. Nothing we want for our future is beyond our reach. – Donald Trump
52. “When you see an obstacle approaching, grab your courage and speed up.” – Angela Lynne Craig
53. “I’d rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.” – George Burns
54. “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.” ― Seneca
55. “Happiness is not the absence of problems; it’s the ability to deal with them.” ― Steve Maraboli
56. “There are no great people in this world, only great challenges that ordinary people rise to meet.” – William Frederick Halsey, Jr.
57. “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.” – Nelson Mandela
58. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible!” – Audrey Hepburn
59. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
60. “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.”– Vince Lombardi
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out our collection of superhero quotes to inspire the best version of you.
Inspiring challenge quotes to give you strength
61. “Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” – George S. Patton
62. “Your character is formed by the challenges you face and overcome.” – Nick Vujicic
63. “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” – Robert H. Schuller
64. “Learn from the stories of people who faced challenges you haven’t yet experienced.” – Joanna Barsh
65. “Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew.” – Cicely Tyson
You might also like these Remember the Titans quotes from the inspiring movie.
66. “Expect obstacles and face them head-on. They are going to come up so the way you handle them is what makes all the difference.” – Lance Dale
67. “The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” – Arnold Palmer
68. “Real difficulties can be overcome; it is the imaginary ones that are unconquerable.” – Theodore Newton Vail
69. “To be successful you must accept all challenges that come your way. You can’t just accept the ones you like.” – Mike Kafka
70. “It’s too easy to walk away quitter never wins so you should better stay look challenges straight in the eye.” – Z. Vujcic
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of walk away quotes to help you find the motivation and courage you need to change your life.
Other inspirational challenge quotes
71. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
72. “Just be prepared for a long and often uncertain journey. The good stuff doesn’t come easy.” – Tim Westergren
73. “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.” – J. M. Barrie
74. “Life is tough, my darling, but so are you.” – Stephanie Bennett-Henry
75. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” – Les Brown
76. “Much of life isn’t fair. It’s how you live that matters. It’s how you deal with the bumps in the road.” – Maya Banks
You might also like these pain quotes will help you channel your warrior within.
77. Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.” – Benjamin Spock
78. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
79. “Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity, and responsibility to give something back by becoming more.” – Tony Robbins
80. “Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.” – T. Harv Eker
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
More challenge quotes and sayings
81. “Life is about accepting the challenges along the way, choosing to keep moving forward, and savoring the journey.” – Roy T. Bennett
82. “The true test of a champion is not whether he can triumph but whether he can overcome obstacles.” – Garth Stein
83. “Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
84. “Go make your mark on the world. Be a world changer! Live bold for Christ no matter the cost.” – Crystal Woodman Miller
85. “Some fish love to swim upstream. Some people love to overcome challenges.” – Amit Ray
86. “You have come a long way and have won many battles. Whenever you’re faced with a difficult or challenging situation, you’ll overcome it. Yes, you can.” – Roy T. Bennett
87. “Life throws challenges and every challenge comes with rainbows and lights to conquer it.” – Amit Ray
88. “Be a bit of a challenge; not because you’re playing games but because you realize you’re worth the extra effort.” – Mandy Hale
89. “The further you get away from yourself, the more challenging it is. Not to be in your comfort zone is great fun.” – Benedict Cumberbatch
90. “Comfort is your biggest trap and coming out of comfort zone your biggest challenge.” – Manoj Arora
Don’t forget to also read out the handpicked collection of Monday motivation quotes to start your week off on the right track.
Challenge quotes to help you during this difficult time
91. “Everything negative – pressure, challenges – is all an opportunity for me to rise.” — Kobe Bryant
92. “Together we can face any challenges as deep as the ocean and as high as the sky.” — Sonia Gandhi
93. “Even when life challenges us, it’s a gift beyond all measure.” — Parker Palmer
94. “We need diversity of thought in the world to face the new challenges.” — Tim Berners-Lee
95. “It’s lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.” — Muhammad Ali
96. “Challenge is the pathway to engagement and progress in our lives.” — Brendon Burchard
97. “Sometimes the hurdles aren’t really hurdles at all. They’re welcome challenges, tests.” — Paul Walker
98. “Believe in yourself, take on your challenges, dig deep within yourself to conquer fears. Never let anyone bring you down. You got to keep going.” — Chantal Sutherland
99. “You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.” — Michelle Obama
100. “No matter what kind of challenges or difficulties or painful situations you go through in your life, we all have something deep within us that we can reach down and find the inner strength to get through them.” — Alana Stewart
Challenge quotes to help you overcome obstacles
101. “It was the hardest time of my life, but the best part of my journey.”― Ellen DeGeneres
102. “The future rewards those who press on. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I’m going to press on.” — Barack Obama
103. “Hard times don’t come to break you. They come to prepare you.”― Garima Soni
104. “Life’s greatest challenge comes from within.”― J.R. Rim
105. “Don’t just visualize success at the end. Visualize the process. Don’t just picture yourself winning. Picture the steps it takes to get there.” — Dean Bokhari
106. “Don’t be afraid to do something you’re not qualified to do.” — Dan Carlin
107. “Energy and persistence conquer all things.” — Benjamin Franklin
108. “Action is the foundational key to all success.” — Pablo Picasso
109. “Accept the presence of thorns, but let the rose inspire you.” — Steve Pavlina
110. “Life grants nothing to us mortals without hard work.” – Horace
Embrace the challenge quotes
111. “If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.” – Pat Riley
112. “I enjoy competition. I enjoy challenges. If a challenge is in front of me and it appeals to me, I will go ahead and conquer it.” – Conor McGregor
113. “We all have challenges. We have to face them, embrace them, defy them, and conquer them.” – Victoria Arlen
114. “Hard times are like each of the four seasons which comes around and goes away.” ― Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
115. “Meeting challenges in our lives define our character.”― Cecilia Kaelin
116. “The most challenging times bring us the most empowering lessons.” – Karen Salmansohn
117. “Challenges in life always seek leaders and leaders seek challenges.” – Wayde Goodall
118. “The days without difficulty are the days you do not improve.”― Evan Winter
119. “Confidence confers on you the courage to conquer challenges.” – Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
120. “If there’s no challenge in your life, then there’s no enjoyment in your life.”― David Tian Ph.D
Challenge quotes from song lyrics about overcoming obstacles
121. “What only makes us stronger is overcoming the challenges—of damages inflicted.” — Dj Nate, Africa
122. “The challenge keeps me going. Overcoming gives meaning. We shall live to the fullest. We won’t be the victims.” — All For Nothing, Under a Different Sun
123. “You held me down, but I got up. Already brushing off the dust. You hear my voice, you hear that sound—like thunder, gonna shake the ground.” — Katy Perry, Roar
124. “You can overcome the enemy, yes you can. You can say that I’m a winner, yes I am. You can overcome poverty—overcome sickness.” — Jekalyn Carr, Overcomers
125. “There’s always gonna be another mountain. I’m always gonna wanna make it move. Always gonna be a uphill battle—Sometimes I’m gonna have to lose.” — Miley Cyrus, The Climb
126. “The fear that you feel, it is a struggle with yourself. Do not count on others. Begin to realize your actions. The way to victory is through overcoming—overcoming yourself.” — The Jackals, Devisee
127. “I will not let you affect my life. I’m tired of living in your ways. I will stand tall and stay tall. But I will take this challenge and make something of myself.” — Onward to Olympas, This World is Not My Home
128. “It’s a long road, when you face the world alone; No one reaches out a hand for you to hold… You can find love if you search within yourself and then the emptiness you felt will disappear.” — Mariah Carey, Hero
129. “We focus on our goals, ignoring competition. Overcoming obstacles from every angle and position. Armed to the teeth, our words the ammunition. We execute the mission with articulate precision.” — The Reminders, If You Didn’t Know
130. “You can take everything I have. You can break everything I am. Like I’m made of glass. Like I’m made of paper. Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground—like a skyscraper, like a skyscraper.” — Demi Lovato, Skyscraper
Thought-provoking challenge quotes for tough times
131. “A problem is a chance for you to do your best.” – Duke Ellington
132. “Every adversity brings new experiences and new lessons.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
133. “Going through challenging things can teach you a lot, and they also make you appreciate the times that aren’t so challenging.” – Carrie Fisher
134. “There have been some hard times, people around me supported me.” – Laure Manaudou
135. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
136. “People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
137. “Difficult times will come. It’s a fact of life, isn’t it? There are good times and bad times in everybody’s life.” – Raj Kosaraju
138. “I say find one true friend to help you get through the tough times.” – Kelly Osbourne
139. “You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to.” – Robin Williams
140. “It’s easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.” – Henry Ward Beecher
Did these challenge quotes help?
The most successful people in the world have faced some of the most significant challenges. But they have persevered and become achievers because of the way they handle adversity.
They have learned from their failures. They know not to fear a challenge, but to embrace it as a chance to grow and improve continually.
As they say, it is not how many times you fall down; it is how many times you get back up. Hopefully, these challenge quotes have inspired you to better accept and meet your challenges, whatever they may be.
Did you enjoy these challenge quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
May 16, 2022 3:00 AM EST