Jim Morrison Quotes That Open ‘The Doors’ to His Mind
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST
Our collection of Jim Morrison quotes to inspire you to fight for your dreams and live your best life.
Who would have thought that an Aldous Huxley novel, The Doors of Perception, would have been the inspiration for one of the most iconic 60s/70s bands?
Jim Morrison, who had recently graduated from UCLA, along with classmate Ray Manzarek, were the first two members of ‘The Doors.’
Ray had been a fan of Jim’s poetry for a while and mentioned that he thought they were “rock star material.”
If you are a fan of the band, then you might know that Morrison’s lyrics are dark.
If you are wondering how Jim Morrison drew inspiration for these quotes, then keep reading.
Morrison’s father was in the Navy, so they moved around a lot when he was younger.
In Morrison’s biography, he recalls an incident that happened when he was four.
He recalls witnessing a car accident that left several Native Americans bloody and strewn across the street.
In that same book, his family recalls seeing an accident that involved some Native Americans, but they were standing on the road.
Morrison said that this event was the “the most formative event of his life” and sang about it in several songs.
These Jim Morrison quotes, and song lyrics, talk a lot about death, fear, and general life lessons.
Don’t forget to also check out these Jimi Hendrix quotes on peace, music and love.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Jim Morrison quotes about life and lessons
1. “The future is uncertain, but the end is always near.” — Jim Morrison
You will also enjoy our article on Native American quotes.
2. “It may have been in pieces, but I gave you the best of me.” — Jim Morrison
You will also enjoy our article on candle quotes.
3. “I think the highest and lowest points are the important ones. Anything else is just…in between.” — Jim Morrison
You will also enjoy our article on Navy quotes
4. “No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.” — Jim Morrison
You will also enjoy our article on Russ quotes.
5. “Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts.” — Jim Morrison
6. “A man searching for paradise lost can seem a fool to those who never sought the other world.” — Jim Morrison
7. “Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel.” — Jim Morrison
8. “I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments.” — Jim Morrison
9. “Man, I’m sick of doubt.” — Jim Morrison
10. “Once you make peace with authority, you become an authority.” — Jim Morrison
11. “Nobody would stay interested in me if I was normal.” — Jim Morrison
Jim Morrison quotes about fear and feelings
12. “Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.” — Jim Morrison
13. “You feel your strength in the experience of pain.” — Jim Morrison
14. “I like people who shake other people up and make them feel uncomfortable.” — Jim Morrison
15. “Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power.” — Jim Morrison
16. “We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.” — Jim Morrison
17. “If my poetry aims to achieve anything, it’s to deliver people from the limited ways in which they see and feel.” — Jim Morrison
18. “Whoever controls the media controls the mind.” — Jim Morrison
19. “Or society places a supreme value on control — hiding what you feel. Our culture mocks “primitive cultures” and prides itself on suppression of natural instincts and impulses.” — Jim Morrison
20. “Could any Hell be more horrible than now and real?” — Jim Morrison
Jim Morrison quotes about death
21. “No one here gets out alive.” — Jim Morrison
22. “People fear death even more than pain. It’s strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death. At the point of death, the pain is over. Yeah, I guess it is a friend.” — Jim Morrison
23. “Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders round as ravens claws.” — Jim Morrison
24. “Time to live, time to lie, time to laugh, and time to die. Take it easy, baby. Take it as it comes.” — Jim Morrison
25. “We’re reaching for death on the end of a candle We’re trying for something that’s already found us.” — Jim Morrison
What did you learn from these Jim Morrison quotes?
Sadly, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Brian Jones all died at age 27 between 1969-1971.
How exactly did Jim Morrison die?
His long time partner Pam Courson found him dead in the bathtub of their Paris apartment.
The official ruling is that he died of heart failure, likely brought on by an accidental heroin overdose.
There was no autopsy done because it wasn’t legally required in France.
Pam would die, also of a heroin overdose, three years after Jim.
She was also 27 years old.
Jim Morrison had such a way with words.
It is a shame that fame and the lifestyle of a rock star took his talent from the world at such a young age.
“The Lizard King” was so curious about what was on the other side of the doors that he used meditation and drugs to try and find enlightenment.
I hope that the tortured poet, clad in the leather pants of a rocker, found what he was searching for when he threw those doors wide open for the last time.
Feel free to leave any other Jim Morrison quotes and lines in the comment section below.