These John Dewey quotes on art and education will give you a deeper appreciation of teachers.
John Dewey was an American philosopher and psychologist who was deeply passionate about education and social reform.
He had many inspiring ideas about democracy, ethics, politics, education, communication, and journalism.
Are you interested in art, academics, or self-reflection?
This collection of John Dewey sayings on teaching will give you greater insight into these areas.
No matter what stage you’re at in your life, there is always an opportunity to learn and grow.
It’s worth it, in the long run, to invest in your education and learn everything that you can.
Being knowledgeable will allow you to experience life and appreciate art in completely new ways.
Share these John Dewey quotes on education with someone in your life who values knowledge and wisdom.
Don’t forget to also check out these Richard Feynman quotes about science, life, and learning.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about education.
John Dewey quotes on teachers, education and life
1. “Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another.” ― John Dewey
2. “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” ― John Dewey
You will also enjoy our article on Teacher’s Day quotes.
3. “Art is the most effective mode of communications that exists.” ― John Dewey
4. “We do not learn from experience… we learn from reflecting on experience.” ― John Dewey
5. “Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination.” ― John Dewey
6. “Time and memory are true artists; they remold reality nearer to the heart’s desire.” ― John Dewey
7. “The self is not something ready-made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action.” ― John Dewey
8. “Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes.” ― John Dewey
9. “The belief that all genuine education comes about through experience does not mean that all experiences are genuinely or equally educative.” ― John Dewey
10. “Were all instructors to realize that the quality of mental process, not the production of correct answers, is the measure of educative growth something hardly less than a revolution in teaching would be worked.” ― John Dewey
Thought-provoking John Dewey quotes
11. “To me, faith means not worrying.” ― John Dewey
12. “We only think when we are confronted with problems.” ― John Dewey
13. “Skepticism: the mark and even the pose of the educated mind.” ― John Dewey
14. “Anyone who has begun to think places some portion of the world in jeopardy.” ― John Dewey
15. “Education, therefore, is a process of living and not a preparation for future living.” ― John Dewey
16. “To find out what one is fitted to do, and to secure an opportunity to do it, is the key to happiness.” ― John Dewey
17. “The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better.” ― John Dewey
18. “Nature is the mother and the habitat of man, even if sometimes a stepmother and an unfriendly home.” ― John Dewey
19. “Just as a flower which seems beautiful and has color but no perfume, so are the fruitless words of the man who speaks them but does them not.” ― John Dewey
20. “Such happiness as life is capable of comes from the full participation of all our powers in the endeavor to wrest from each changing situation of experience its own full and unique meaning.” ― John Dewey
John Dewey quotes that will change your perspective
21. “No man’s credit is as good as his money.” ― John Dewey
22. “Without some goals and some efforts to reach it, no man can live.” ― John Dewey
23. “There’s all the difference in the world between having something to say, and having to say something.” ― John Dewey
24. “The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.” ― John Dewey
25. “We always live at the time we live and not at some other time, and only by extracting at each present time the full meaning of each present experience are we prepared for doing the same thing in the future.” ― John Dewey
John Dewey quotes about education
26. “Knowledge falters when imagination clips its wings or fears to use them.” ― John Dewey
27. “Expertness of taste is at once the result and reward of constant exercise of thinking.” ― John Dewey
28. “One lives with so many bad deeds on one’s conscience and some good intentions in one’s heart.” ― John Dewey
29. “Men’s fundamental attitudes toward the world are fixed by the scope and qualities of the activities in which they partake.” ― John Dewey
30. “Legislation is a matter of more or less intelligent improvisation aiming at palliating conditions by means of patchwork policies.” ― John Dewey
31. “Nature as a whole is a progressive realization of purpose strictly comparable to the realization of purpose in any single plant or animal.” ― John Dewey
32. “Method means that arrangement of subject matter which makes it most effective in use. Never is method something outside of the material.” ― John Dewey
33. “Some experiences are mis-educative. Any experience is mis-educative that has the effect of arresting or distorting the growth of further experience.” ― John Dewey
34. “A tribe, let us say, is warlike. The successes for which it strives, the achievements upon which it sets store, are connected with fighting and victory.” ― John Dewey
35. “The plea for the predominance of learning to read in early school life because of the great importance attaching to literature seems to be a perversion.” ― John Dewey
What are your favorite John Dewey quotes on education and reflection?
As a scholar and academic reformer, John Dewey had a significant impact on the American education system.
These John Dewey quotes on teaching demonstrate his passion for learning and education.
If you want to honor his legacy, you should study hard, respect teachers, and keep your mind open to new ideas.
John Dewey was knowledgeable about a wide range of topics, including metaphysics, art, philosophy, logic, social theory, psychology, and ethics.
Using these skills, he was able to reform many aspects of the education system and change the way people approached teaching.
Let this collection of quotes on teaching give you a deeper respect for people with this incredible profession.
Share these John Dewey quotes with all of the teachers and students in your life.
What are your favorite John Dewey quotes and sayings on education and teachers?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Read our related quote articles
Whatever you may feel about your first day of school (or your child’s first day of school), remember that everyone has been in this position in their lives.
Education is one of the most powerful aspects of life.
Through trials, triumphs, and the giggles in between, we are reminded of the beautiful mosaic of school life.
Encourage the magic of learning with our inspirational collection of school quotes.
Read our related education articles
Motivation determines what we do, how we do something, and how much we accomplish.
A fixation on tracking our growth and capabilities using a standardized grading scale gets implanted in us at an early age.
When people aren’t living their dreams, they often have limited belief systems.
“Hard work” applied to your natural talents and instincts will take you to levels others may never attain.