Lid Quotes For Maintaining Your Freshness
January 30, 2023 2:51 AM EST
Unscrew the top off of our amazing lids quotes and learn something new today.
We have some of the most interesting quotes about lids you can find.
Who created the lid?
Like anything else, if you do enough research, you will find some noteworthy facts and interesting history.
The history of the lid goes back a very long time.
Some of the first recorded uses for lids go back to Africa, in ancient Egypt (Kemet).
Archeologists have discovered canopic jars used to store mummified organs in tombs that go back to the year 2686 BC.
Originally the jars were hollow, and organs were wrapped in linen and placed inside the jars with holy oils.
Here are some eye-opening facts about plastic lid waste:
- Only twenty percent of plastic gets recycled.
- Eighty percent gets buried in the earth or flushed into the ocean.
- Non-recycled plastic can only break down through photo-degradation or biodegradation.
Ancient Mayan lid-making techniques were extremely advanced
In the Americas, ancient Mayans designed complex lids discovered in tombs by archeologists in 1986.
Researchers from the University of Texas San Antonio examined the ruins of Rio Azul’s ruins in present-day Guatemala.
What they found was astonishing!
There were many pots and bottles, some of which took a lot of work for the research team to open.
The team eventually got the lid open, and when they saw the inside of the jar, they realized it was a design very similar to our modern-day child-proof lids!
The Mayans designed a lid so efficiently that it was a challenge to open it thousands of years later!
The researchers sent samples of the contents of the jar back home for analysis and discovered that the jar was full of chocolate.
Mayans considered chocolate sacred and used it in their ceremonies.
At the same time, it seems even in ancient times, chocolate had to be hidden and locked away from people with a sweet tooth.
Modern-day lid-making techniques save lives
Fast forward several thousand years to Canada in the 1960s, and you would find Dr. Henri J. Beault of Ontario.
Dr. Breault is credited with inventing the modern-day child-proof lid we are familiar with.
At the time, many countries suffered from a different type of global epidemic.
Millions of children died from ingesting household medicines made for adults at extremely high rates.
Canada alone had one hundred thousand annual cases.
Dr. Breault was inspired to do something about these needless deaths and created the push-and-twist lid.
If you want to stay fresh, keep reading and check out our lid quotes below.
Short quotes about lids to stay fresh
Here are some short and sweet quotes about the power of lids.
1. “I have trouble keeping a lid on the self-hatred.” — Julian Barratt
2. “The consumer’s side of the coffin lid is never ostentatious” — Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
3. “The lid, however, wouldn’t shut. The mind held back the whole sky.” ― Denis Johnson, The Largesse of the Sea Maiden
4. “A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid.” — J. R. R. Tolkien
5. “He felt like somebody had taken the lid off life and let him see the works.” — Dashiell Hammett
6. “I’ll fight like a wildcat until they nail the lid of my pine box down on me.” — Eddie Rickenbacker
7. “Kepler’s blown the lid off everything we know about extra-solar planets.” — Debra Fischer
8. “You can’t sit on the lid of progress. If you do, you will be blown to pieces.” — Henry J. Kaiser
9. “If you don’t have humour, then you may as well nail the coffin lid down now.” — Roger Moore
10. “I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play.” — Artur Schnabel
Lid quotes about life and success
Sometimes we have to put the lid on aspects of our lives, other times, we have to take the lid off.
11. “I am the blue-lidded daughter of Sunset; I am the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night-sky” — Aleister Crowley
12. “I just feel like there’s a lid on the basket. Three games and no shots went in, but I just have to keep working.” — Anthony Bennett
13. “I kept a lid on my feelings at school but, when I was 18, dropped out of everything and couldn’t even be bothered to get out of bed.” — Roland Orzabal
14. “King Arthur was one of my heroes – I played with a trash can lid for a knightly shield and my uncle’s cane for the sword Excalibur.” — Lloyd Alexander
15. “It’s no coincidence that ‘Night at the Museum’ completely blew the lid off my career. I finally got a handle on tone.” — Shawn Levy
16. “Day to day, I always wear eyeliner on my top lid and mascara. I like to do my own makeup, it depends on the event.” — Felicity Jones
17. “Allowing anger to seethe on the back burner will lead to a very large lid blowing off a very hot pot.” — Charles R. Swindoll
18. “Women’s anger is very scary to people, and to no one more than to other women, who think, ‘My goodness, if I let the lid off, where would we be?’” — Claire Messud
19. “The cat, having sat upon a hot stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won’t sit upon a cold stove lid, either.” — Mark Twain
20. “When I have one foot in the grave, I will tell the whole truth about women. I shall tell it, jump into my coffin, pull the lid over me and say, “Do what you like now.” — Leo Tolstoy
The best lid quotes for keeping things fresh
Lids keep our good fresh and make things last longer, we can learn much from a lid.
21. “It’s a feeling without a lid, of what you would do, physically, verbally, to protect the one thing that is your greatest love.” — Lena Headey
22. “If poor people are spending their own money, it is amazing how fast they will figure out how to keep a lid on medical bills.” — Rick Scott
23. “Day to day, I always wear eyeliner on my top lid and mascara. I like to do my own makeup, it depends on the event” — Felicity Jones
24. “Half-caf, double-tall, non fat, whole-milk foam, bone-dry, half-pump mocha, half sugar in the raw, double cup, no lid, capp – to go” — Linda Evangelista
25. “You either get the point of Africa or you don’t.What draws me back year after year is that it’s like seeing the world with the lid off” — A. A. Gill
26. “I’ve cheated the Grim Reaper more times than anyone I know, and I’ll fight like a wildcat until they nail the lid of my pine box down on me.” — Eddie Rickenbacker
27. “When something doesn’t work out, no matter what it may be, you just have to give it up and stuff it in with your broken dreams. And make sure you keep the lid on tight. — Sayo Masuda
28. “Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art– Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night And watching, with eternal lids apart, Like nature’s patient, sleepless Eremite.” — John Keats
29. “For those, like me, who can’t rely on being given a home smoker this Christmas, you can build your own approximation with just a roll of tin foil and a big wok or pan for which you have a lid.” — Yotam Ottolenghi
30. “It’s fun to play characters with a past, but it’s also fun to play any role that is what I would call a ‘pressure cooker’ kind of character, where the lid is on, and it’s left to simmer throughout the movie.” — Stellan Skarsgard
Lid quotes about letting out pressure
When we put a lid on our feelings, we can explode, no different than a hot pot under pressure.
31. “No one is safe from Mattera’s hard-hitting, meticulously reported, and genuinely funny investigative journalism. Capitalism blows the lid off crony capitalism.” — Monica Crowley
32. “He unscrewed the lid, set it on the dash, snorted from the bottle twice, banged the steering wheel, and said, ‘You got to be ready to die every day – then you got a chance.’” — Daniel Woodrell
33. “Being the way I used to be didn’t really fit the family profile. I was always loved but if, say, Dad had an interesting business idea I’d be the last person he’d want to share it with in case I blew the lid on it.” — Spencer Matthews
34. “The story of my life could be told in a series of waffle snapshots. I spent childhood weekends watching the lid of our Munsey waffle maker rise and fall as it chugged through a single square waffle at a time.” — Chris Morocco
35. “The one thing – apart from assumptions about German – that I have to challenge frequently is people assuming that lexicographers are fierce protectors of the language when in fact our job is not to put a lid on it.” — Susie Dent
36. “All political careers end in failure, but few did it so quickly as David Cameron’s. He came to power promising not to ‘bang on about Europe’ and ended up having the continent’s name chiselled into the lid of his political coffin.” — David Hepworth
37. “Someone once told me they didn’t like taking the lid off the kettle because they’d just lose it in the kitchen, so we made a kettle with an attached lid that you slide. It was in response to that that we made one that did something different.” — Michael Graves
38. “We all have different brow bones, and different amounts of space between the eyebrow and the lashes; the space on the upper lid is bigger or smaller, the space on the bridge of the nose or between the eyes is wider or narrower. Everyone is different.” — Anastasia Soare
39. “I had this instrument that I built in high school. It was a huge, six-foot-long stringed instrument, and I started playing with that amplified and singing through power electronic stuff. I played those shows, and it would blow the lid off of everybody, and everybody would flip out.” — Weyes Blood
40. “When you label somebody and put them in a box, then you put the lid on the box, and you just never look inside again. I think it’s much more interesting for human beings to look at each other’s stories and see each other. Really see each other and then see themselves through other people’s stories. That’s where you start to break down stereotypes.” — Stephanie Beatriz
Inspirational lid quotes about success and happiness
Never keep a lid on the parts of you that make you unique.
41. “Your eye lids are the blinds or the shutters to the window of your soul, do not take them for granted. They protect you from what you do not wish to see.” — Anonymous
42. “My dad had been in the second world war, had electric shock treatment, suffered from anxiety and was abusive to my mum. I kept a lid on my feelings at school but, when I was 18, dropped out of everything and couldn’t even be bothered to get out of bed.” — Roland Orzabal
43. “It’s been said that Bill Gates has come up with something that’ll be released in December that’s gonna put a lid on counterfeiting. If that’s a fact then it’s really interesting to own your own product – with all the potential methods of downloading.” — Merle Haggard
44. “I didn’t like England. I couldn’t take the look of the place or the style of friendship. I need more intimacy from people than is considered okay there, and I felt that my personality and my enthusiasms weren’t understood. I had to put a big lid on myself.” — Jane Campion
45. “Keeping a lid on taxes is not just good for the taxpayer. It’s a powerful way to force government to be more accountable, set priorities and spend smarter. Let me repeat that: more accountable, set priorities and spend smarter – that’s what we need to be about.” — Tim Pawlenty
46. “Sometimes a single item can wrap up, in a nutshell, who a person is. In my grandparents’ home, a clear plastic container was enthroned on top of the mahogany bar for at least a decade. Painted on the lid in pink, yellow and light blue was ‘Have a Nosh With Mort & Ethel’.” — Lisa Lutz
47. “The Chinese government tried to keep a lid on the SARS crisis, but there were 160 million text messages in three days sent by Chinese citizens. These are early indications that it’s going to be difficult for people who used to have control over the news to maintain that level of control.” — Howard Rheingold
48. “We will not put a lid on opinions. On the contrary, it is more important than ever that political debates are open and free, even on the most difficult issues. Especially on the most difficult issues. The task is to encourage controversial debates in a form that strengthens democracy.” — Jens Stoltenberg
49. “We developed our own type of Igudesman and Joo electric violin, let’s say, and funny enough, the shape of it was developed by the head technician of Steinway. It’s actually an electric violin, which is made from the stick that holds up the piano lid.” — Aleksey Igudesman
50. “In the morning, we sliced all the vegetables and layered everything up in a pot with a glass of Riesling. On the way to church, we dropped it off with the baker, who sealed the lid with a strip of dough and put it in his oven for a couple of hours. We picked it up at 12 o’clock and took it home to eat with mustard and salad.” — Jean-Georges Vongerichten
Lids can extend the life of things; both positive and negative
A lid is designed to maintain the integrity of various items.
However, sometimes we must take the lid off things and let them go.
Even with a lid, food is still perishable.
Similarly, if we hold on to negative feelings for too long without opening the lid to our feelings, we can experience the toxicity of rotted energies.
At the same time, a lid is a beautiful piece of technology.
It is easy to take lids for granted.
However, it would not be easy to enjoy a cup of coffee on the run without them.
Our foods and beverages would spoil and we would be unable to contain all the chemicals we use, like detergent, toothpaste, or oils.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, modern-day lid-making was created.
Ever heard of the Mason jar?
John Landis Mason was an American tinsman from New Jersey who patented the metal screw on caps you see on fruit jars or jams in 1858.
What do you love about lids?
Do you have any other favorite lid quotes and sayings to add?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comment section.