These Aleister Crowley quotes will give you a quick look into the man once called ‘the wickedest man in the world’.
Aleister Crowley was originally born as Edward Alexander.
He eventually changed his name to Aleister Crowley.
It appears that he was somewhat of a one-of-a-kind type of person.
Even his own mother called him the unholy monster of the apocalypse.
While he was born into a very religious family in the 1800s, when his father died, his life twisted in a different direction.
In the end, Aleister Crowley was known for being an occultist, magician, poet, and mountaineer.
He believed in some very questionable things and encouraged wrong behaviors that went against what general society stood for.
These quotes give you just a slight taste of his different ideas.
Don’t forget to also check out these magic quotes to keep you believing.
Famous Aleister Crowley quotes that show his perspective
1. “I hardly ever talk- words seem such a waste, and they are none of them true. No one has yet invented a language from my point of view.” – Aleister Crowley
2. “Balance every thought with its opposition. Because the marriage of them is the destruction of illusion.” – Aleister Crowley
3. “Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people.” – Aleister Crowley
4. “A single ego is an absurdly narrow vantage point from which to view the world.” – Aleister Crowley
5. “The more necessary anything appears to my mind, the most certain it is that I only assert a limitation.” – Aleister Crowley
6. “In the absence of willpower, the most complete collection of virtues and talents is wholly worthless.” – Aleister Crowley
7. “A man who is doing his True Will has the inertia of the Universe to assist him.” – Aleister Crowley
8. “Knowledge is really confined to experience.” – Aleister Crowley
9. “Love stories are only fit for the solace of people in the insanity of puberty. No healthy adult human being can really care whether so-and-so does or does not succeed in satisfying his physiological uneasiness by the aid of some particular person or not.” – Aleister Crowley
10. “Thou hast no right but to do thy will… For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.” – Aleister Crowley
11. “Intolerance is evidence of impotence.” – Aleister Crowley
12. “Having to talk destroys the symphony of silence.” – Aleister Crowley
13. “The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous, and menacing.” – Aleister Crowley
14. “The joy of life consists in the exercise of one’s energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal.” – Aleister Crowley
15. “I was asked to memorize what I did not understand; and, my memory being so good, it refused to be insulted in that manner.” – Aleister Crowley
16. “Modern morality and manners suppress all natural instincts, keep people ignorant of the facts of nature and make them fighting drunk on bogey tales.” – Aleister Crowley
17. “Everyone interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man’s brain, he either misunderstands you, or he doesn’t understand you at all.” – Aleister Crowley
Aleister Crowley quotes about science, magic, and more
18. “Science is always discovering odd scraps of magical wisdom and making a tremendous fuss about its cleverness.” – Aleister Crowley
19. “It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” – Aleister Crowley
20. “The conscience of the world is so guilty that it always assumes that people who investigate heresies must be heretics; just as if a doctor who studies leprosy must be a leper. Indeed, it is only recently that science has been allowed to study anything without reproach.” – Aleister Crowley
21. “Astrology has no more useful function than this, to discover the inmost nature of a man and to bring it out into his consciousness, that he may fulfill it according to the law of light.” – Aleister Crowley
22. “People think that talking is a sign of thinking. It isn’t, for the most part’ on the contrary, it’s a mechanical dodge of the body to relieve oneself of the strain of thinking, just as exercising the muscles helps the body to become temporarily unconscious of its weight, its pain, its weariness, and the foreknowledge of its doom.” – Aleister Crowley
23. “Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment, and practice than in any other branch of physics.” – Aleister Crowley
Aleister Crowley quotes on the way he lived
24. “It is necessary, in this world, to be made of harder stuff than one’s environment.” – Aleister Crowley
25. “We must conquer life by living it to the full, and then we can go to meet death with a certain prestige.” – Aleister Crowley
What did you learn from these Aleister Crowley quotes?
While some of these Aleister Crowley quotes might be things that seem “normal” even for historic times, there are many of his quotes not included that paint a picture of a twisted and perverse individual.
He didn’t seem to have any belief in right or wrong.
He felt more that everyone should just do whatever they wanted to do.
Aleister Crowley was a drug addict for many years, which played into many different parts of his life.
And while he has several books still in publication today, you won’t find them on any highly recommended reading lists.
The quotes above give you a slight glimpse into some of his thoughts, which is plenty enough.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Aleister Crowley quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST