From one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, these Matrix quotes will challenge your understanding of what is real and what is not.
The matrix, a film released in March of 1999, is one of the most thought-provoking movies of its time. The Matrix attempts to answer “What is real?”, addresses the illusion of choice, and what makes us human.
Keanu Reeves and Lawrence Fishburne deliver exceptional performances in this science film. Can you imagine Will Smith, Brad Pitt, or Johnny Depp as Neo? Neither can I, but each of these actors turned down the role of Neo. Morpheus (Lawrence Fishburne) has some of the best quotes of the film in my opinion, especially when attempting to explain reality!
Take the red pill, and a quick stroll down memory lane with me, as we revisit some of the most epic Matrix quotes.
The Matrix quotes about choice
1. “I know what you’re thinking, ’cause right now I’m thinking the same thing. Actually, I’ve been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn’t I take the BLUE pill?” ―Cypher
2. “Neo, sooner or later you’re going to realize, just as I did, there’s a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.” ― Morpheus
3. “What’s really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn’t said anything?” ― Oracle
4. “Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without.” ― Merovingian
5. “I don’t. I expect just what I’ve always expected, for you to make up your own damn mind. Believe me or don’t.”― Oracle
6. “I don’t like the idea that I’m not in control of my life.” ―Neo
7. “You played a very dangerous game.” ― The Architect
8. “This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” ― Morpheus
9. “Do you want to know what it is?” ― Morpheus
10. “The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.” ― Trinity
Also read these unforgettable Goodfellas quotes from the legendary 1990s mobster movie.
The Matrix quotes about humanity
11. “Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.” ― Morpheus
12. “Human beings are a disease, cancer of this planet.” ― Agent Smith
13. “To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.” – Mouse
14. “There’s no escaping reason, no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.” ― Agent Smith
15. [To Neo] “Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.” ― The Architect
16. “That’s how it is with people. Nobody cares how it works as long as it works.” ― Councillor Hamann
17. “Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.” ― The Architect
18. “What do all men with power want? More power.” ― The Oracle
19. “It is remarkable how similar the pattern of love is to the pattern of insanity.” ― Merovingian
20. “Karma is a word, like love. A way of saying, “What I am here to do.” I do not resent my karma. I’m grateful for it. Grateful for my wonderful wife, for my beautiful daughter. They are gifts, and so I do what I must do to honor them.” ― Rama-Kandra
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of karma quotes about what goes around & comes around in our life.
21. “You hear that, Mr. Anderson? That’s the sound of inevitability, that’s the sound of your death, goodbye, Mr. Anderson.” ― Agent Smith
22. “Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see the end coming. I see the darkness spreading. I see death. And you are all that stands in his way.” ― Oracle
23. “The body cannot live without the mind.”― Morpheus
Have you read these Die Hard quotes and sayings from the 80s action classic?
The Matrix quotes about what is real
24. “Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You’ll have to see it for yourself.” ― Morpheus
25. “Ever have that feeling where you’re not sure if you’re awake or dreaming?” ―Neo
26. “If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then ‘real’ is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.” ― Morpheus
27. “Let me tell you why you’re here. You know something. What you know, you can’t explain, but you feel it. You felt it your entire life. There’s something’s wrong with the world. You don’t know what, but it’s there. Like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I’m talking about?” ― Morpheus
28. [To Neo] “Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?” ― Morpheus
29. [To Neo] “How do you define real? If you’re talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, taste and see, then “real” is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.” ― Morpheus
30. “Do you believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? You think that’s air you’re breathing now?”― Morpheus
31. “Welcome to the desert of the real.”― Morpheus
32. “Your mind makes it real.” ― Morpheus
Funny Matrix quotes
33. “Listen to me, Coppertop. We don’t have time for 20 Questions.”―Switch
34. “It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy because Kansas is going bye-bye.” ―Cypher
35. “Good shit, huh? It’s good for two things: degreasing engines and killing brain cells.” ―Cypher
36. “Guns. Lots of guns.”―Neo
37. “You have a problem with authority, Mr. Anderson. You believe you are special, that somehow the rules do not apply to you. Obviously, you are mistaken.” ― Rhineheart
38. “Yeah, well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger. [He does] And you give me my phone call.”―Neo
39. “It’s tough to get any more obvious than that.” ― Oracle
40. “The machines don’t care how old I am. They’ll kill me just the same.” ― Kid
41. “The only way you’re getting through this door is over my big dead ass.” ― Q-Ball Gang Member #1
Don’t forget to also read these stimulating quotes from Criminal Minds T.V. show.
Matrix Quotes about being free
42. “Free your mind.” ― Morpheus The Matrix
43. “As long as the Matrix exists, the human race will never be free.” ― Morpheus
44. “Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions…” ― Agent Brown
45. “I must get out of here. I must get free.” ―Smith
46. “We’re willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we’re asking in return is your cooperation in bringing a known terrorist to justice.” ― Agent Smith
47. “The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save.” ― Morpheus
48. “You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.”― Morpheus
49. “I’m trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You’re the one that has to walk through it”― Morpheus
50. “That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.”― Morpheus
You might also like these interesting Star Trek quotes to help you go where no man has before.
Which of these Matrix quotes is your favorite?
Did these Matrix quotes inspire you to rewatch the movie? I am curious how much of the philosophical content of this movie went over my head when I watched it in 1999. I was only 16 and caught up in the wonders of “bullet time.” And a cute Keanu Reeves! The theme of this movie makes my brain hurt as an adult with a tendency to believe conspiracy theories.
Speaking of those, you will notice there is no, “What if I told you everything you know is a lie?” quote in the list. That is because it apparently doesn’t exist. Mandela effect, anyone? Do you remember hearing it when you watched the film? Which of the above Matrix quotes and lines resonated with you best? Drop me a comment and let me know!
January 18, 2020 7:00 AM EST