From one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time, these Matrix quotes will challenge your understanding of what is real and what is not.
The matrix, a film released in March of 1999, is one of the most thought-provoking movies of its time.
The Matrix attempts to answer “What is real?”, addresses the illusion of choice, and what makes us human.
Keanu Reeves and Lawrence Fishburne deliver exceptional performances in this science film.
Can you imagine Will Smith, Brad Pitt, or Johnny Depp as Neo?
Neither can I, but each of these actors turned down the role of Neo.
Morpheus (Lawrence Fishburne) has some of the best quotes of the film in my opinion, especially when attempting to explain reality!
Take the red pill, and a quick stroll down memory lane with me, as we revisit some of the most epic Matrix quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out our list of famous movie quotes that will inspire you to live your dreams.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
The Matrix quotes about choice
1. “Ever have that feeling where you’re not sure if you’re awake or dreaming?” ―Neo
2. “The body cannot live without the mind.”― Morpheus
3. “What do all men with power want? More power.” ― The Oracle
4. “To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.” – Mouse
5. “Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without.” ― Merovingian
6. “Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You’ll have to see it for yourself.” ― Morpheus
7. “I don’t like the idea that I’m not in control of my life.” ―Neo
8. “You played a very dangerous game.” ― The Architect
9. “Do you want to know what it is?” ― Morpheus
10. “The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.” ― Trinity
Also read these unforgettable Goodfellas quotes from the legendary 1990s mobster movie.
The Matrix quotes about humanity
11. “Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.” ― Morpheus
12. “Human beings are a disease, cancer of this planet.” ― Agent Smith
13. “I don’t. I expect just what I’ve always expected, for you to make up your own damn mind. Believe me or don’t.”― Oracle
14. “There’s no escaping reason, no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose, we would not exist.” ― Agent Smith
15. [To Neo] “Denial is the most predictable of all human responses.” ― The Architect
16. “That’s how it is with people. Nobody cares how it works as long as it works.” ― Councillor Hamann
17. “Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.” ― The Architect
18. “What’s really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn’t said anything?” ― Oracle
19. “It is remarkable how similar the pattern of love is to the pattern of insanity.” ― Merovingian
20. “Karma is a word, like love. A way of saying, “What I am here to do.” I do not resent my karma. I’m grateful for it. Grateful for my wonderful wife, for my beautiful daughter. They are gifts, and so I do what I must do to honor them.” ― Rama-Kandra
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of karma quotes about what goes around & comes around in our life.
21. “You hear that, Mr. Anderson? That’s the sound of inevitability, that’s the sound of your death, goodbye, Mr. Anderson.” ― Agent Smith
22. “Everything that has a beginning has an end. I see the end coming. I see the darkness spreading. I see death. And you are all that stands in his way.” ― Oracle
23. “Neo, sooner or later you’re going to realize, just as I did, there’s a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.” ― Morpheus
Have you read these Die Hard quotes and sayings from the 80s action classic?
The Matrix quotes about what is real
24. “This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” ― Morpheus
25. “I know what you’re thinking, ’cause right now I’m thinking the same thing. Actually, I’ve been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn’t I take the BLUE pill?” ―Cypher
You might also like these interesting Star Trek quotes to help you go where no man has before.
Which of these Matrix quotes is your favorite?
Did these Matrix quotes inspire you to rewatch the movie?
I am curious how much of the philosophical content of this movie went over my head when I watched it in 1999.
I was only 16 and caught up in the wonders of “bullet time.”
And a cute Keanu Reeves!
The theme of this movie makes my brain hurt as an adult with a tendency to believe conspiracy theories.
Speaking of those, you will notice there is no, “What if I told you everything you know is a lie?”
quote in the list.
That is because it apparently doesn’t exist.
Mandela effect, anyone?
Do you remember hearing it when you watched the film?
Which of the above Matrix quotes and lines resonated with you best?
Drop me a comment and let me know!
August 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST