I remember sitting in my high school math class asking, “Why is math important in life?” I also contemplated when I would ever need to know how to solve an algebraic equation. Clearly, I was not the only one! If you are a math professional then you have probably tried to find a way to motivate your students. Hopefully, these math quotes will help!
Below you’ll find math quotes that are funny and motivational for students who would rather be in a creative arts class, and quotes from people who love math…shudder! Enjoy the few dad jokes about math too!
Quotes about math as an art form
1. “Mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.” – Albert Einstein
2. “Mathematics is the music of reason.” – James Joseph Sylvester
3. “Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit.” – Stefan Banach
4. “Film is one of the three universal languages, the other two: mathematics and music.” – Frank Capra
5. “It is impossible to be a mathematician without being a poet in soul.” Sofia Kovalevskaya
6. “To me, mathematics, computer science, and the arts are insanely related. They’re all creative expressions.” – Sebastian Thrun
7. “In mathematics, the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it.” – George Cantor
8. “A mathematician who is not also something of a poet will never be a complete mathematician.”— Karl Weierstrass
9. “Why do children dread mathematics? Because of the wrong approach. Because it is looked at as a subject.” — Shakuntala Devi
10. The pure mathematician, like the musician, is a free creator of his world of ordered beauty.”— Bertrand Russell
Math quotes about the mysteries of life
11. “Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.” – Shakuntala Devi
12. “Life is a math equation. In order to gain the most, you have to know how to convert negatives into positives.” – Anonymous
13. “Mathematics may not teach us to add love or subtract hate, but it gives us hope that every problem has a solution.” –Anonymous
14. “Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.” – William Paul Thurston
15. “It’s fine to work on any problem, so long as it generates interesting mathematics along the way – even if you don’t solve it at the end of the day.” – Andrew Wiles
16. “Mathematics as an expression of the human mind reflects the active will, the contemplative reason, and the desire for aesthetic perfection. Its basic elements are logic and intuition, analysis and construction, generality and individuality.”— Richard Courant
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of logic quotes about the power of decision making.
17. “Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them.”— Joseph Fourier
18. “Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics.”— Dean Schlicter
19. “Mathematics is not a careful march down a well-cleared highway, but a journey into a strange wilderness, where the explorers often get lost. Rigor should be a signal to the historians that the maps have been made, and the real explorers have gone elsewhere.”— W.S. Anglin
20. “Mathematics is a place where you can do things which you can’t do in the real world.”— Marcus du Sautoy
21. “If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.”— John von Neumann
Also check out these Katherine Johnson quotes and sayings from NASA’s human computer.
Funny math quotes
22. “If you stop at general math, then you will only make general money.” –Snoop Dogg
23. “Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems. I’m tired of solving them for you.”— Anonymous
24. “Somehow it’s o.k. for people to chuckle about not being good at math. Yet if I said ‘I never learned to read,” they’d say I was an illiterate dolt.” –Neil Degrasse Tyson
25. “The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics.” – Paul Halmos
26. “Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.” – Mickey Mouse
27. “The essence of mathematics lies in its freedom.”— Georg Cantor
28. “That awkward moment when you finish a math problem and your answer isn’t even one of the choices.”— Ritu Ghatourey
29. “Math is fun. It teaches you life and death information like when you’re cold, you should go to a corner since it’s 90 degrees there.”— Anonymous
30. “Decimals have a point.” – Unknown
Mathematics quotes about youth, beauty, and romance
31. “Mathematics has beauty and romance. It’s not a boring place to be, the mathematical world. It’s an extraordinary place; it’s worth spending time there.” – Marcus du Sautoy
32. “It is the perennial youthfulness of mathematics itself which marks it off with a disconcerting immortality from the other sciences.” – E.T. Bell
33. “Mathematics is the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs, a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty’s sake and pulls it down to earth.”— Marston Morse
34. “Wherever there is a number, there is beauty.”— Proclus
35. “Mathematics is like love; a simple idea, but it can get complicated.”— Anonymous
36. “Mathematics is a hard thing to love. It has the unfortunate habit, like a rude dog, of turning its most unfavorable side towards you when you first make contact with it.”— David Whiteland
Math quotes on its importance
37. “We will always have STEM with us. Some things will drop out of the public eye and go away, but there will always be science, engineering, and technology. And there will always, always be mathematics.”— Katherine Johnson
38. “What is mathematics? It is only a systematic effort of solving puzzles posed by nature.”— Shakuntala Devi
39. “There should be no such thing as boring mathematics.”— Edsger W. Dijkstra
40. “Mathematics allows for no hypocrisy and no vagueness.”— Stendhal
41. “I’ve always enjoyed mathematics. It is the most precise and concise way of expressing an idea.”— N.R. Narayana Murthy
42. “It is clear that the chief end of mathematical study must be to make the students think.”— John Wesley Young
43. “I’ve always been interested in using mathematics to make the world work better.”— Alvin E. Roth
Witty math quotes
44. “Pure mathematicians just love to try unsolved problems — they love a challenge.”— Andrew Wiles
45. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”— Dr. Seuss
46. “Mathematics consists of proving the most obvious thing in the least obvious way.”— George Póly
47. “There are two ways to do great mathematics. The first is to be smarter than everybody else. The second way is to be stupider than everybody else — but persistent.”— Raoul Bott
48. “A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn’t there.” – Charles Darwin
49. “Algebraic symbols are used when you do not know what you are talking about.” – Philippe Schnoebelen
50. “The only place where people can 64 watermelons and no one wonders why.” – Unknown
Which of these math quotes resonated with you best?
Did any of these math quotes inspire you to practice math? If not, maybe you giggled at a few of them. I promise, you will need to do algebra at one point or another and will be scrambling how to find the variable of “x”.
I was replacing some flooring in the house and lamenting about what we were going to do a corner when my math nerd, computer scientist of a husband whipped out a piece and did some crazy geometry move to cut an exact piece…I don’t know what he did, but I swear it was magic! Pay attention in class, you might find yourself needing to use an obscure math skill someday!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these math quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Tell us in the comment section below.