If you went through menopause, or want to prepare for menopause, check out these Menopause quotes.
According to Mayoclinic.org, “Menopause is the time that marks the end of your menstrual cycles” as a woman’s reproductive hormones decrease.
You might also like these related articles:
Menopause is signaled 12 months after a woman’s last menstrual cycle, usually occurring when a woman is between the ages of 45 – 55.
Here are some symptoms of Menopause:
- Hot flashes – sudden feelings of heat, usually in the face to chest area
- Reduced sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Hair loss or thinning
- Changes in mood
- Loss of confidence
- Sleep issues – night sweats, increased need to urinate
- Brain fog
While almost every woman (unless there is a medical exception) will experience menopause, it remains a taboo topic.
It is not commonly discussed, even among women living with shared experiences.
Most women of past generations remained silent about their symptoms and experiences, leaving the next generation of women forced to figure it out on their own.
Thankfully, information is becoming more public as women work to find answers and help for the symptoms and share their experiences, thus assuring others that it’s not just them.
Take a look at these Menopause quotes to learn more about menopause.
Top Menopause Quotes
Here are some popular quotes and thoughts on menopause found online.
1. “I don’t like any of it. I’m sick and tired of menopause.” — Lisa Lampanelli
2. “Menopause. A pause while you reconsider men.” — Margaret Atwood
3. “And the beauty of a woman, with passing years, only grows!” — Audrey Hepburn
4. “The freedom that comes from no longer being fertile is huge.” — Cynthia Nixon
5. “Estrogen deficient women are nothing but the walking dead.” — Marie Hoag
6. “Right now I don’t call it the menopause, I call it men-on-pause.” — Marie Osmond
7. “There is no more creative force in the world than the menopausal woman with zest.” — Margaret Mead
8. “Menopause, it’s the best form of birth control. Face it graciously and brag about it. It’s great.” — Paula Weidager
9. “[As in puberty,] There will be tears. And anger. And tragically unfortunate haircuts.” — Heather Corinna
10. “It’s such a cold night, and it’s the only time I’ve actively been grateful for menopause. I’ve been entirely comfortable.” — Emma Thompson
Funny Menopause Quotes
Here are some humorous quotes about menopause.
11. “My friend said menopause made all of her friends forgetful and moody!” — Steven Magee
12. “I have a friend named Doris who argues, on good authority, that the single biggest cause of global warming is menopause.” — Dave Berry
13. “We haven’t slept in years. This is an advantage of menopause. Some nights, we meet for coffee at 4:00 a.m.” — Maria Dahvana Headley
14. “Women become a little dangerous during this time [menopause]…we can no longer keep a lid on it.” — Stephanie Marston
15. “I’m what is known as perimenopausal. ‘Peri,’ some of you may know, is a Latin prefix meaning ‘shut your flippin’ pie hole’.” — Celia Rivenbark
16. “A study says owning a dog makes you ten years younger. My first thought was to rescue two more, but I don’t want to go through menopause again.” — Joan Rivers
17. “The first indication of menopause is a broken thermostat. It’s either that or your weight. In any case, if you don’t do something, you could be dead by August.” — Dorothea Benton Frank
18. “The only heat I have left comes from hot flashes, my promiscuity is confined to the words “one size fits all,” and I buy my white cotton unmentionables at Boadicea’s Retreat, not Victoria’s Secret.” — Florence King
Quotes Shedding Light on Menopause
Menopause continues to remain a taboo topic, so women are working to spread awareness in our modern times.
19. “I consider myself a woman of the world, and I didn’t know what being perimenopausal was.” — Meg Matthews
20. “It was the same thing with menopause. I traveled around the country on talk shows and talking to women about it.” — Cybill Shepherd
21. “If men went through menopause, we’d know everything about it, but we still don’t even know if we should be taking hormones.” — Joycelyn Elders
22. “You are taught about puberty and the menopause and how tough they can be, but a quarter-life crisis, you’re not prepared for.” — Emily Atack
23. “Every woman is different when they go through menopause, and… I didn’t know emotionally how I would feel.” — Angelina Jolie
24. “It’s time to stop grouping up and complaining about all our estrogen deficient symptoms and demand real answers and plenty of estrogen.” — Marie Hoag
25. “I think menopause gets a really bad rap and needs a bit of a rebranding. I don’t think we have in our society a great example of an aspirational menopausal woman.” — Gwyneth Paltrow
26. “Our mothers were largely silent about what happened to them as they passed through this midlife change. But a new generation of women has already started to break the wall of silence.” — Trisha Posner
27. “It’s okay to talk about birth, okay – then menstruation. I first started my advocacy for women’s health in the field of reproductive freedom, and the next stage would be bringing menopause out of the closet.” — Cybill Shepherd
More Menopause Quotes to Bring Awareness
Here are a few more quotes highlighting the importance of spreading awareness about menopause and its struggles.
28. “Perimenopausal women don’t make eye contact, don’t want to be touched, they slouch, they scuff, and avoid any social interaction if possible.” — Marie Hoag
29. “The menopause is probably the least glamorous topic imaginable, and this is interesting because it is one of the very few topics to which cling some shreds and remnants of taboo. A serious mention of menopause is usually met with uneasy silence; a sneering reference to it is usually met with relieved sniggers. Both the silence and the sniggering are pretty sure indications of taboo.” — Ursula K. Le Guin
30. “Messages we get about menopause more often tell us we must keep ourselves from much of what we want and need in this time. It’s easy to get the idea that life in and after menopause is going to be little, dreary rituals of desperate maintenance and exacting control over food, exercise, the shape and size of our bodies, our skin, our intimate relationships, our sexuality, our leisure, our moods, robbing us of what pleasure we might have found in these things before.” — Heather Corinna
Menopause Quotes for Women
Women can relate to and learn from the following quotes about menopause.
31. “A woman must wait for her ovaries to die before she can get her rightful personality back.” — Florence King
32. “I’m enjoying my life, post-menopause, so much. It’s just so great to grow into yourself and not be bothered with all that tyranny of biology.” — Roseanne Barr
33. “Menopause is your return to where you were before when your hormone levels are the same as a pre-adolescent girl’s.” — Sandra Tsing Loh
34. “I didn’t want to go anywhere because I hated being a woman during my menopause. I was like, ‘Why am I a woman?’ I couldn’t bear it.” — Kathy Burke
35. “I didn’t have children, and there’s something seismic about your fertility coming to an end with the menopause, which I’m now going through.” — Anna Richardson
36. “I see menopause as the start of the next fabulous phase of life as a woman. Now is a time to ‘tune in’ to our bodies and embrace this new chapter.” — Kim Cattrall
37. “Peri-menopause and menopause should be treated as the rites of passage that they are. If not celebrated, then at least accepted and acknowledged and honored.” — Gillian Anderson
38. “The very best way that you can help yourself is to develop and sustain a positive attitude. The way you think and feel about everything will make all the difference to your experience.” — Caroline Carr
39. “I believe wholeheartedly that age is a mindset. Biological age is what it is, but I truly believe it’s more about how you feel—how you feel in your body and how you feel about your body.” — Jennifer Grey
Menopause Quotes About Going Through “The Change”
These quotes speak to the change women experience in life and their bodies with menopause.
40. “Many women find long, lean sexy legs hard to get. One reason is that before menopause, most of us store a disproportionate amount of fat in our lower bodies, particularly in our hips and thighs.” — Denise Austin
41. “Menopause: the phase of transition in every woman’s life. It is an invitation to start something new; even amidst the uncertainty and discomfort, it’s a time of new beginnings.” — Dr. Anisha Potdar
42. “A problem shared is a problem halved, but as with so many problems affecting women—periods, menopause, post-natal depression—we often feel embarrassed, as if we’re moaning or just plain wrong to air them.” — Konnie Huq
43. “Menopause is a perfectly natural process. As family members and friends recognize that this is a normal process and learn about the normal, natural symptoms, they will then treat the woman like she’s normal and natural rather than a crazy woman.” — Pamela Boggs
44. “You can do this—this thing, where your body will cease to produce hormones and your skin, hair, muscles, and bones … basically every part of you will notice, go into withdrawals, and stage a coup. Be prepared for this mentally, and you’ll own this ‘thing.’” — Lisa Jey Davis
45. “Women have always been seen as waiting: waited to be asked, waiting for our menses, in fear lest they do or do not come, waiting for men to come home from wars, or from work, waiting for children to grow up, or for the birth of a new child, or for menopause.” — Adrienne Rich
More Menopause Quotes
Here are a few more quotes on the topic to help spread awareness and education about menopause and how it impacts women.
46. “There’s increasing awareness that menopause and its symptoms can push women out of the workforce just as they’re at the top of their fields.” — Emily Peck
47. “Post-menstrual is the same as pre-menstrual; I am once again what I was before the age of twelve: a female human being who knows that a month has thirty days, not twenty-five, and who can spend every one of them free of the shackles of that defect of body and mind known as femininity.” ― Florence King
48. “So many women I’ve talked to see menopause as an ending. But I’ve discovered this is your moment to reinvent yourself after years of focusing on the needs of everyone else. It’s your opportunity to get clear about what matters to you and then to pursue that with all of your energy, time, and talent.” — Oprah Winfrey
49. “One should remember that menopause is a normal and natural process, and it should not be dreaded. Realizing that the condition is a natural occurrence which all women experience—if they live long enough—and a philosophical calm acceptance of this fact will help lessen the nervous symptoms.” — Lulu Hunt Peters, M.D.
50. “You might be chatting sociably with friends, and suddenly you notice that they’re all flapping their hands at their faces. You’re all sitting there like a bunch of chickens – all flapping away. You hardly notice that you’re doing it because it’s such a habit. All clutching at your clothes to try and flap some cool air in, And all of you are bright red in the face.” — Caroline Carr
Are There Treatments to Help With the Symptoms of Menopause?
Menopause is a naturally occurring change in women, but here are some treatments to help with the symptoms:
- Hormone therapy
- Estrogen to help with vaginal dryness
- Eat foods rich in vitamin D and calcium
- Maintain your weight
- Exercise regularly
- Eat meals high in fruits and vegetables
- Drink water
Share these Menopause quotes with your family and friends that this might apply to, and share your favorite in the comment section below.