As an endearing symbol worldwide, leaves symbolize more than nature’s beauty, as shown in these quotes about leaves.
Read on for a selection of quotes that illustrate not just the physical beauty of leaves but also how leaves can teach us fundamental lessons about life.
Leaves as a symbol of change
Perhaps the most recognized the world over is the symbol of change.
Here are quotes that illustrate how leaves teach us about transformation.
1. “Birth, life, and death – each took place on the hidden side of a leaf.” — Toni Morrison
2. “Learn character from trees, values from roots, and change from leaves.” — Tasneern Harneed
3. “Rather than turning over a new leaf, prune your tree so that new leaves continue to blossom.” — Feroz Bham
4. “In every change, in every falling leaf, there is some pain, some beauty. And that’s the way new leaves grow.” — Amit Ray
5. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form, like the leaves turning into brilliant autumn colors.” — Rumi
6. “The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn, and the hidden beauty of leaves is in the change from bud to blossom.” — Henry David Thoreau
7. “The autumn leaves are falling, like the years in my life, but they keep me grounded, reminding me that change is the only constant.” — Albert Camus
8. “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. It’s like expecting leaves not to fall in autumn.” — John F. Kennedy
9. “The hustling sound of the leaves in the autumn wind is a reminder to embrace change and let go of the things that no longer serve us, just like the trees let go of their leaves.” ― Ajaz Ahmad Khawaja
10. “Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower, we will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind – the beauty of leaves in their ever-changing colors.” — William Wordsworth
Quotes about leaves in autumn
Is fall the most beautiful season?
Spring may bring flowers, but the beauty of leaves in fall is unmatched.
Read on for beautiful quotes about autumn leaves.
11. “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” — Albert Calmus
12. “Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves change.” — Elizabeth Lawrence
13. “Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree.” — Emily Bronte
14. “How beautiful the leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.” — John Burroughs
15. “There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves.” — Joe L. Wheeler
16. “I can smell autumn dancing in the breeze. The sweet chill of pumpkin and crisp sunburnt leaves.” — Ann Drake
17. “Autumn leaves don’t fall; they fly. They take their time and wander on this their only chance to soar.” — Delia Owens
18. “The leaves fall patiently. Nothing remembers or grieves. The river takes to the sea, the yellow drift of leaves.” — Sara Teasdale
19. “Autumn leaves shower like gold, like rainbows, as the winds of change begin to blow, signaling the later days of autumn.” — Dan Millman
20. “I hope I can be the autumn leaf who looked at the sky and lived. And when it was time to leave, gracefully it knew life was a gift.” — Dodinsky
Quotes about the beauty of falling leaves
What is the beauty of fall? These quotes highlight the beauty of the end of a leaf’s life.
21. “There is a subtle magic in the falling of old leaves.” — Avijeet Das
22. “Even those fallen leaves dance on the musical wind cadence.” — Anoushka Tyagi
23. “October’s poplars are flaming torches lighting the way to winter.” — Nova S. Blair
24. “Fallen leaves on the ground are the golden song of immortal creativity.” — Amit Ray
25. “If a year was tucked inside of a clock, then autumn would be the magic hour.” — Victoria Erickson
26. “Dancing of the autumn leaves on the surface of a lake is a dream we see when we are awake.” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
27. “Autumn teaches us the beauty of letting go. Growth requires release—it’s what the trees do.” — Ka’ala
28. “The fallen leaves in the forest seemed to make even the ground glow and burn with light. — Malcolm Lowry
29. “Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.” — Shira Tamir
30. “There is something so special in the early leaves drifting from the trees–as if we are all to be allowed a chance to peel, to refresh, to start again.” — Ruth Ahmed
Leaf quotes that teach us about life
What life lessons can we learn from leaves?
Keep reading for quotes that can teach us no matter our season of life.
31. “A single leaf working alone provides no shade.” — Chuck Page
32. “Some leaves hang on longer, but eventually, they all fall.” — Marty Rubin
33. “I turn over a new leaf every day. But the blots show through.” — Keith Waterhouse
35. “You will never grow if you have to mourn every leave that falls.” — K. Tolnoe
36. “The wisdom of the leaves is not in the roots, but in the branches.” — Danish proverb
37. “October is the fallen leaf, but it is also a wider horizon more clearly seen.” — Hal Borland
38. “Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf.” — Rabindranath Tagore
39. “The journey may be fraught with challenges, yet it continues, for even the smallest leaf must embrace destiny. Persistence is the key.” — Virginia Alison
40. “The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of autumn.” — John Muir
Quotes about leaves symbolizing a fresh start
What does it mean to turn a new leaf?
The cycle of renewal for all leaves has long been a symbol of a fresh start.
Here are quotes that highlight nature’s renewal.
41. “Every leaf is a hope.” — John Ruskin
42. “I’ve seen a jillion miracles. They’re all around. Every green leaf is a miracle.” — Jimmy Dean
43. “I am just a leaf. Just a leaf falling from the tree so that a new bud may grow.” — Gemma Malley
44. “As the seasons change, so can we. Turning a new leaf is the essence of growth.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
45. “Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year.” — Chad Sugg
46. “Even when a leaf falls, it finds its place in the soil, giving life to the tree it came from.” — Avijeet Das
47. “The falling leaf that tells of autumn’s death is, in a subtler sense, a prophecy of spring.” — Robert Green
48. “In the journey of life, turning a new leaf is not about changing the past, but about writing a better future.” — Paulo Coelho
49. “They demonstrate that change happens whether we’re paying attention or not. Some things do stay the same…but that sometimes it’s okay to shed parts of the past and plant new parts of yourself.” — Jessica Lulka
50. “Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place.” — Rumi
Leaves as a source of wisdom and inspiration
Leaves change with the seasons, going through growth cycles, vibrancy, decline, and renewal.
Like even the most robust leaf, we experience highs and lows, periods of sun, and seasons of darkness in our lives.
Leaves teach us it’s essential to embrace and adapt to change, as they do throughout the year.
Like all of us, leaves may have blemishes and scars, but these imperfections don’t diminish their beauty.
In essence, leaves can help us appreciate the beauty surrounding us and teach us about the ever-changing nature of life, the art of letting go, and the spirit of resilience.
Share these quotes about leaves with your friends and family to inspire them.
Let us know which quote stood out to you the most in the comments below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Rather than doing nothing and getting sucked into a terrible rabbit hole, let’s explore ten ways to reinvent yourself so you – and your life – can become unstuck.
You’ve probably heard the term “cleanse” or “detox” before and might have recently started hearing about the Duck Flower detox.
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
Check out these related quote articles:
Enjoy the beauty of fall and the changing seasons all year long with these Autumn quotes.
Mother Earth has graced us with her endless beauty. Explore these nature quotes to appreciate her!
These September quotes are sure to get you ready to welcome the fall season back into your life.
These October quotes remind us about the beauty of nature and the colorful masterpiece that is October.