20 Famous Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi Quotes and Sayings
December 23, 2022 8:00 AM EST
These Ramana Maharshi quotes will help you on your quest to become a liberated being.
Ramana Maharshi was born in 1879 as Venkataraman lyer.
His family lived in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu in the village of Tiruchuzhi.
As a child, his family was part of the Smartism movement of Hinduism.
Tell us your favorite Ramana Maharshi quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Ramana Maharshi quotes?
In his adolescence, he discovered the Hindu believed-sacred mountain known as Arunachala was real.
As a result, he learned about the divine union.
While he continued to learn and study in this area, he shared his genuine interest didn’t develop until his “awakening.”
At 17, he left home for Tiruvannamalai and stayed for the remainder of his life.
He referred to the near-death experience he had as a liberation.
These Ramana Maharshi quotes will help you learn more about:
- your spiritual awareness
- his thoughts on reincarnation
- how to live a full life
Top 10 Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi quotes
1. “Let what comes come, let what goes go.” — Ramana Maharshi
2. “Action and knowledge are not obstacles to each other.” — Ramana Maharshi
3. “Eventually, all that one has learnt will have to be forgotten.” — Ramana Maharshi
4. “What comes will also go. What always is will alone remain.” — Ramana Maharshi
5. “The inquiry “who am I” turns the mind introvert and makes it calm.” — Ramana Maharshi
6. “Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” — Ramana Maharshi
7. “The Self cannot be found in books. You have to find it for yourself in yourself.” — Ramana Maharshi
8. “The revelation or intuition arises in its own time, and one must wait for it.” — Ramana Maharshi
9. “Take no notice of the ego and its activities, but see only the light behind.” — Ramana Maharshi
10. “The only freedom you have is to turn your mind inward and renounce activities there.” — Ramana Maharshi
Inspirational Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi quotes to live by
11. “There is no greater mystery than this: being reality ourselves, we seek to gain reality.” — Ramana Maharshi
12. “If we regard ourselves as the doers of action, we shall also be the enjoyers of the fruits of such action.” — Ramana Maharshi
13. “Happiness is your nature. It is not wrong to desire it. What is wrong is seeking it outside when it is inside.” — Ramana Maharshi
14. “We are so engrossed with the objects, or appearances revealed by the light, that we pay no attention to the light.” — Ramana Maharshi
15. “The real is as it is always. We are not creating anything new or achieving something which we did not have before.” — Ramana Maharshi
16. “A man should surrender the personal selfishness which binds him to this world. Giving up the false self is the true renunciation.” — Ramana Maharshi
17. “Wanting to reform the world without discovering one’s true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.” — Ramana Maharshi
18. “Grace is within you. Grace is your self. Grace is not something to be acquired from others. If it is external, it is useless. All that is necessary is to know its existence is in you. You are never out of its operation.” — Ramana Maharshi
19. “Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen; try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.” — Ramana Maharshi
20. “There is neither past nor future. There is only the present. Yesterday was the present to you when you experienced it, and tomorrow will be also the present when you experience it. Therefore, experience takes place only in the present, and beyond experience, nothing exists.” — Ramana Maharshi
What are your thoughts about Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi’s spiritual journey?
Throughout the years, some people saw Ramana Maharshi as an avatar or incarnation of Shiva.
Shiva is a Hindu deity known as the supreme being in the religion.
People would come to sit in his presence while silently asking questions.
He taught about the path he discovered to self-inquiry and self-awareness and encouraged people to consider the question Who Am I?
Eventually, Sri Ramanasramam was created, which was the ashram from 1922 until Ramana Maharshi died in 1950.
The ashram has been preserved and is a place where hundreds of his followers visit daily to immerse themselves in his teachings.
Don’t forget to tell us which quote most resonated with you in the comment section below.
Please share this article on social media if you found these Ramana Maharshi quotes helpful.