If your childhood was filled with his books, you’re going to enjoy these Roald Dahl quotes.
Roald Dahl is famously known for being the brains and words behind books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and Matilda.
However, there was a lot more to him than the books that made him a household name amongst children books.
In his younger days, Dahl was a fighter pilot. He was also a screenwriter for movies like James Bond’s You Only Live Twice and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Now, get ready to relive your childhood favorites with these Roald Dahl quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Jay Shetty quotes if you need a little inspiration and encouragement.
Roald Dahl quotes from Matilda
1. “It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.” – Roald Dahl
2. “If you are good life is good.” – Roald Dahl
3. “Sometimes Matilda longed for a friend, someone like the kind, courageous people in her books.” – Roald Dahl
4. “Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog. Make sure everything you do is so completely crazy it’s unbelievable.” – Roald Dahl
5. “So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea.” – Roald Dahl
6. “It was pleasant to take a hot drink up to her room and have it beside her as she sat in her silent room reading in the empty house in the afternoons. The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives.” – Roald Dahl
7. “She traveled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” – Roald Dahl
8. “You chose books. I chose looks.” – Roald Dahl
9. “I’m afraid men are not always quite as clever as they think they are.” – Roald Dahl
10. “A rowdy little girl who gave way upon the slightest provocation to uncontrollable laughter.” – Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl quotes from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
11. “You should never, never doubt something that no one is sure of.” – Roald Dahl
12. “I’ve heard that what you imagine sometimes comes true.” – Roald Dahl
13. “Whipped cream isn’t whipped cream at all if it hasn’t been whipped with whips, just like poached eggs isn’t poached eggs unless it’s been stolen in the dead of the night.” – Roald Dahl
14. “So shines a good deed in a weary world.” – Roald Dahl
15. “Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install A lovely bookshelf on the wall.” – Roald Dahl
16. “Gorgeous chocolatey smell.” – Roald Dahl
17. “This is Mr. Bucket. This is Mrs. Bucket. Mr. and Mrs. Bucket have a small boy whose name is Charlie Bucket.” – Roald Dahl
18. “He threw up his arms and yelled ‘Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ And at the same time, his long bony body rose up out of the bed and his bowl of soup went flying into the face of Grandma Josephine, and in one fantastic leap, this old fellow of ninety-six and a half, who hadn’t been out of bed these last twenty years, jumped on to the floor and started doing a dance of victory in his pajamas.” – Roald Dahl
19. “‘I, Willy Wonka, have decided to allow five children – just five, mind you, and no more – to visit my factory this year.’” – Roald Dahl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Willy Wonka quotes to awaken your imagination.
20. “‘Don’t argue, my dear child, please don’t argue!’ cried Mr. Wonka. ‘It’s such a waste of precious time!’” – Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl quotes from The BFG
21. “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” – Roald Dahl
22. “Dreams is full of mystery and magic . . . . Do not try to understand them.” – Roald Dahl
23. “Me is the only one what won’t be gobbled up because giants never eating giants.” – Roald Dahl
24. “Every dream in the world is making a different sort of buzzy-hum music.” – Roald Dahl
25. “I can see you is not born last week.” – Roald Dahl
26. “They is all at least two times my wideness and double my royal highness!” – Roald Dahl
27. “Never in a month of Mondays.” – Roald Dahl
28. “And on the pillow of the bed lay the head.” – Roald Dahl
29. “I would love to go somewhere else and pick peachy fruits in the early morning from the back of an Elephant.” – Roald Dahl
30. “Just because we happen not to have actually seen something with our own two little winkles, we think it is not existing.” – Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl quotes from James and the Giant Peach
31. “The walls were wet and sticky, and peach juice was dripping from the ceiling. James opened his mouth and caught some of it on his tongue. It tasted delicious.” – Roald Dahl
32. “There are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven’t even started wondering about yet.” – Roald Dahl
33. “We are now about to visit the most marvelous places and see the most wonderful things!” – Roald Dahl
34. “Get up at once, you lazy little beast!” – Roald Dahl
35. “‘I look and smell,’ Aunt Sponge declared, ‘as lovely as a rose!’” – Roald Dahl
36. “I am the only pest in this room!” – Roald Dahl
37. “Well, maybe it started that way. As a dream, but doesn’t everything. Those buildings. These lights. This whole city. Somebody had to dream about it first. And maybe that is what I did. I dreamed about coming here, but then I did it.” – Roald Dahl
38. “Quiet, and the shadows are so long and black, and they keep turning into strange.” – Roald Dahl
39. “Nothing except the roots of the old peach tree…and a whole lot of earthworms and centipedes and insects living in the soil.” – Roald Dahl
40. “They also talked about themselves, each one saying how beautiful she thought she was. Aunt Sponge had a long-handled mirror on her lap, and she kept picking it up and gazing at her own hideous face.” – Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl quotes
41. “I have a passion for teaching kids to become readers, to become comfortable with a book, not daunted. Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.” – Roald Dahl
42. “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.” – Roald Dahl
43. “Grown ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets.” – Roald Dahl
44. “A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.” – Roald Dahl
45. “We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it.” – Roald Dahl
46. “Two hours of writing fiction leaves this writer completely drained. For those two hours he has been in a different place with totally different people.” – Roald Dahl
47. “Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world.” – Roald Dahl
48. “When you grow up and have children of your own, do please remember something important: A stodgy parent is not fun at all! What a child wants – and DESERVES – is a parent who is SPARKY!” – Roald Dahl
49. “When you’re writing a book, it’s rather like going on a very long walk, across valleys and mountains and things, and you get the first view of what you see and you write it down. Then you walk a bit further, maybe up onto the top of a hill, and you see something else. Then you write that and you go on like that, day after day, getting different views of the same landscape really. The highest mountain on the walk is obviously the end of the book, because it’s got to be the best view of all, when everything comes together and you can look back and see that everything you’ve done all ties up. But it’s a very, very long, slow process.” – Roald Dahl
50. “Obscurity is never a virtue.” – Roald Dahl
Which of these Roald Dahl quotes is your favorite?
If reading through these Roald Dahl quotes has you missing your childhood favorites, remember that you can still read books from childhood even as an adult.
Don’t be afraid to let the stress of your adult life melt away as you follow along with the adventure of Charlie as he travels through the chocolate factory or Matilda’s clever antics as she works to defeat Miss Trunchbull and her rude and uncaring parents.
And if you have children of your own now, read the stories aloud together and share your love for reading with them. It won’t be long before they are falling in love with the stories that you enjoyed at their age.
Did you enjoy these Roald Dahl quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 23, 2020 7:00 AM EST