Our latest collection of truth quotes to inspire honesty and genuineness.
Consistently telling the truth is not always easy. Sometimes lying might feel like the best option. However, the benefits of always being honest with people far outweigh any short term advantages of lying.
As you’ll discover from the truth quotes below, being honest is beneficial, not only to you but also to the people around you. When you embrace truth, it earns you the respect and trust of others, makes you feel better about yourself, and helps you attract better friends.
Besides, telling the truth is mentally easier – if you tell too many lies, it will be hard for you to keep up with what you have said. Concealing a truth can lead to anxiety, stress, and depression.
It does not take long for people to figure out dishonesty. But if you always speak the truth, people will know it sooner and look at you with respect. Being honest and truthful helps build strong credibility. It also results in a clean conscience, which is one of the requirements of happiness.
Although being 100% honest is almost impossible, the truth quotes below will help stop you from lying about things. Telling the truth is self-empowering and incredibly positive, so we should all make it a priority.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and positive truth quotes, truth sayings, and truth proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Truth quotes celebrating honesty and communication
1. “Beauty is truth’s smile when she beholds her own face in a perfect mirror.” – Rabindranath Tagore
2. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
3. “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” – Thomas Jefferson
4. “We learned about honesty and integrity – that the truth matters… that you don’t take shortcuts or play by your own set of rules… and success doesn’t count unless you earn it fair and square.” – Michelle Obama
5. “The truth is, we all face hardships of some kind, and you never know the struggles a person is going through. Behind every smile, there’s a story of a personal struggle.” – Adrienne C. Moore
6. “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” – William Shakespeare
7. “I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
9. “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” – Buddha
10. “There’s nothing so kingly as kindness, and nothing so royal as truth.” – Alice Cary
You might also like these eye-opening perception quotes about truth and reality.
Truth quotes to inspire honesty and genuineness
11. “I’m for truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it’s for or against.” – Malcolm X
12. “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain’t goin’ away.” – Elvis Presley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Elvis Presley quotes that illustrate the man behind the music we all know and love.
13. “We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality.” – Iris Murdoch
14. “The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.” – Winston Churchill
15. “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.” – Abraham Lincoln
16. “Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” – Isaac Newton
17. “Be Impeccable with Your Word. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
18. “There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth.” – Leo Tolstoy
19. “Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity.” – W. Clement Stone
20. “A great man does not seek applause or place; he seeks for truth; he seeks the road to happiness, and what he ascertains, he gives to others.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
For additional reading, be sure to also check out these good man quotes that will inspire you to do your best.
Truth quotes that will inspire you to always be truthful
21. “The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.” – Ayn Rand
22. “To live in the light of a new day and an unimaginable and unpredictable future, you must become fully present to a deeper truth – not a truth from your head, but a truth from your heart; not a truth from your ego, but a truth from the highest source.” – Debbie Ford
23. “For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth.” – Bo Bennett
24. “Morality is the basis of things and truth is the substance of all morality.” – Mahatma Gandhi
25. “If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.” – Albert Einstein
26. “Honest communication is built on truth and integrity and upon respect of the one for the other.” – Benjamin E. Mays
27. “Our duty is to encourage everyone in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth.” – Swami Vivekananda
28. “The truth is: Belonging starts with self-acceptance. Your level of belonging, in fact, can never be greater than your level of self-acceptance, because believing that you’re enough is what gives you the courage to be authentic, vulnerable and imperfect.” – Brene Brown
29. “You can hate me. You can go out there and say anything you want about me, but you will love me later because I told you the truth.” – Mary J. Blige
30. “The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.” – John F. Kennedy
Truth quotes to help you live a happier, less anxious life
31. “Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it.” – Claude Adrien Helvetius
32. “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” – Arthur Conan Doyle
33. “Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.” – Henry David Thoreau
34. “Truth is so rare that it is delightful to tell it.” – Emily Dickinson
35. “A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God’s truth is attacked and yet would remain silent.” – John Calvin
36. “Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation.” – Michael Jackson
37. “To love our neighbor as ourselves is such a truth for regulating human society, that by that alone one might determine all the cases in social morality.” – John Locke
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of John Locke quotes on character, wealth, and more.
38. “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” – Nikola Tesla
39. “The earth is supported by the power of truth; it is the power of truth that makes the sun shine and the winds blow; indeed, all things rest upon truth.” – Chanakya
40. “Stop holding your truth; speak your truth. Be yourself. It’s the healthiest way to be.” – Tiffany Haddish
Truth quotes to help you create deeper connections with people
41. “I believe there’s an inner power that makes winners or losers. And the winners are the ones who really listen to the truth of their hearts.” – Sylvester Stallone
42. “On the mountains of truth, you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
43. “There is nothing so strong or safe in an emergency of life as the simple truth.” – Charles Dickens
44. “Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity. Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
45. “Seek not greatness, but seek truth and you will find both.” – Horace Mann
46. “Every Christian must be convinced of his fundamental and vital duty of bearing witness to the truth in which he believes and the grace that has transformed him.” – Pope John XXIII
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Christian quotes that will uplift your spirits.
47. “Truth is the ultimate power. When the truth comes around, all the lies have to run and hide” – Ice Cube
48. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.” – Muhammad Ali
49. “Life is an unfoldment, and the further we travel the more truth we can comprehend. To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those that lie beyond.” – Hypatia
50. “Free expression is the base of human rights, the root of human nature and the mother of truth. To kill free speech is to insult human rights, to stifle human nature and to suppress truth.” – Liu Xiaobo
More truth quotes and sayings
51. “Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” – Oscar Wilde
52. “Search for the truth is the noblest occupation of man; its publication is a duty.” – Madame de Stael
53. “Every truth has two sides; it is as well to look at both, before we commit ourselves to either.” – Aesop
54. “Most truths are so naked that people feel sorry for them and cover them up, at least a little bit.” – Edward R. Murrow
55. “The truth that is suppressed by friends is the readiest weapon of the enemy.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
56. “Truth is truth to the end of reckoning.” – William Shakespeare
57. “The naked truth is always better than the best-dressed lie.” – Ann Landers
58. “To love truth for truth’s sake is the principal part of human perfection in this world, and the seed-plot of all other virtues.” – John Locke
59. “Always tell the truth. That way you don’t have to remember what you said.” – Mark Twain
60. “Truth never penetrates an unwilling mind.” – Jorge Luis Borges
Other truth quotes and sayings
61. “Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” – John Lennon
62. “Honesty requires that we communicate our thoughts and feelings, not our conclusions.” – Stefan Molyneux
63. “But communicate with honest appreciation and you’ll be amazed how she lights up in front of you.” – Mark Manson
64. “Communication works best when we combine appropriateness with authenticity, finding that sweet spot where opinions are not brutally honest but delicately honest.” – Sheryl Sandberg
65. “The truth is rarely pure and never simple.” – Oscar Wilde
66. “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.” – Joe Klaas
67. “Truth only means something when it’s hard to admit.” – Nicholas Sparks
68. “The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you.” – David Foster Wallace
69. “The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth.” – Lao Tzu
70. “Truth crushed to earth shall rise again.” – William Cullen Bryant
Which of these truth quotes resonated with you best
Telling the truth makes life easier for everyone. When you’re honest and truthful, you need only remember one version of each event.
If you always speak the truth, people will find it easy to trust you and look at you with respect. You’ll create deeper connections with people and you won’t have to remember your lies.
Honesty and seeking the truth is always the way to go. Hopefully, the truth quotes above have inspired you to always be honest.
Which of these truth quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add to the list? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 26, 2021 5:30 AM EST