If you’re inspired by these Schindler’s List quotes, share the one that moves you the most in the comments below.
Schindler’s List is an epic historical drama movie that was directed by Steven Spielberg based on the 1982 fiction novel Schindler’s Ark by Thomas Keneally.
The film centered around the story of Oskar Schindler, a German industrialist during the time of the Holocaust.
Oskar Schindler managed to employ thousands of Polish Jews in his business and was able to save them from being taken to concentration camps.
Schindler did all this through bribery of Nazi and SS officials to keep his business operating so he could employ thousands more Jews and save them from cruelty.
Schindler had to balance his relationship with the Nazis and his mission to save the people throughout the film.
Here are some of the most brilliant and haunting Schindler’s List quotes from the movie.
Don’t forget to also check out these When Harry Met Sally quotes for your romantic side.
Schindler’s List quotes from Oskar Schindler
1. “Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don’t.” — Oskar Schindler
2. “That’s what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he’s brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he’s going to die. And the Emperor… pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.” — Oskar Schindler
3. “In every business I tried, I can see now, it wasn’t me that failed. Something was missing. Even if I’d known what it was, there’s nothing I could have done about it because you can’t create this thing. And it makes all the difference in the world between success and failure.” — Oskar Schindler
4. “The sun is going down.” — Oskar Schindler
5. “What’s the matter with you? You should be preparing for the Sabbath, shouldn’t you. I’ve got some wine in my office. Come.” — Oskar Schindler
6. “Stern, if this factory ever produces a shell that can actually be fired, I’ll be very unhappy.” — Oskar Schindler
7. “My father was fond of saying you need three things in life – a good doctor, a forgiving priest, and a clever accountant. The first two, I’ve never had much use for.” — Oskar Schindler
8. “He won’t shoot you because he enjoys you too much.” — Oskar Schindler
9. “He enjoys you so much he won’t even let you wear the star. He doesn’t want anyone to know it’s a Jew he’s enjoying.” — Oskar Schindler
10. “He shot the woman from the steps because she meant nothing to him. She was just one of a series neither offending him or pleasing him.” — Oskar Schindler
11. “What are you doing? These are mine. These are my workers. They should be on my train. They’re skilled munitions workers. They’re essential. Essential girls!” — Oskar Schindler
12. “Their fingers polish the inside of shell metal casings. How else am I to polish the inside of a 45-millimeter shell casing? You tell me. You tell me!” — Oskar Schindler
13. “ I could try to read this or I could eat my lunch while it’s still hot.” — Oskar Schindler
14. “ I’d say I’d get you one but the man who made it’s probably dead.” — Oskar Schindler
15. “I’m protected by powerful friends. You should know that.” — Oskar Schindler
16. “Why do you drink that motor oil? I send you good stuff all the time. Your liver’s going to explode like a grenade.” — Oskar Schindler
Schindler’s List quotes from Itzhak Stern
17. “Oskar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.” — Itzhak Stern
18. “There will be generations because of what you did.” — Itzhak Stern
19. “This list… is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.” — Itzhak Stern
20. “For every one you smoke, I smoke half.” — Itzhak Stern
21. “ Let me understand. They put up all the money. I do all the work. What, if you don’t mind my asking, would you do?” — Itzhak Stern
22. “ Don’t let things fall apart, Oskar. I work too hard.” — Itzhak Stern
23. “It’s Hebrew, it’s from the Talmud. It says, ‘Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire’.” — Itzhak Stern
24. “By law I have to tell you, sir, I’m a Jew.” — Itzhak Stern
Schindler’s List quotes from Amon Goeth
25. “ Today is history. Today will be remembered. Years from now the young will ask with wonder about this day. Today is history and you are part of it.” — Amon Goeth
26. “This is very cruel, Oskar. You’re giving them hope. You shouldn’t do that. *That’s* cruel!” — Amon Goeth
27. “Ah, an educated Jew… like Karl Marx himself.” — Amon Goeth
28. “She’s not going to Auschwitz. I’d never do that to her. No, I want her to come back to Vienna with me. I want her to come to work for me there. I want to grow old with her.” — Amon Goeth
29. “What I can do, if I’m any sort of a man, is the next most merciful thing. I should take her into the woods and shoot her painlessly in the back of the head.” — Amon Goeth
30. “Is this the face of a rat? Are these the eyes of a rat? Hath not a Jew eyes?” — Amon Goeth
31. “The truth, Helen, is always the right answer.” — Amon Goeth
32. “They cast a spell on you, you know, the Jews. When you work closely with them, like I do, you see this. They have this power. It’s like a virus.” — Amon Goeth
33. “I have to find every rag buried up here and burn it. The party’s over, Oskar. They’re closing us down, sending everybody to Auschwitz.” — Amon Goeth
34. “Six hundred years ago, when elsewhere they were footing the blame for the Black Death, Casimir the Great – so called – told the Jews they could come to Krakow. They came. They trundled their belongings into the city. They settled. They took hold.” — Amon Goeth
35. “For six centuries there has been a Jewish Krakow. By this evening those six centuries will be a rumor. They never happened. Today is history.” — Amon Goeth
Which of these Schindler’s List quotes is your favorite?
In the film, the town where Schindler was operating was not spared by the brutality of the Nazis. Amon Goth, a cruel Nazi lieutenant, came to oversee the construction of concentration camps.
During his stay, he ordered massacres of Jewish people and casually shot people while on his balcony. This horrified Schindler even more.
At the end of the film, the Germans start losing the war, and Schindler has to flee since he is a war profiteer. Until the end, Schindler manages to save Jews by persuading the guards who were ordered to kill all the factory workers to return to their families as men, not as murderers.
Schindler breaks down at the thought that he could have saved more lives. His workers thanked him and gave him a ring that states, “Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire”.
Let these Schindler’s List quotes and sayings be an inspiration to you and look for the goodness in other people and have faith that kindness will still prevail in this crazy world.
December 8, 2021 7:00 AM EST