Enjoy these Secret Life of Bees quotes about the coming-of-age story set during the Civil Rights movement in the Deep South.
The Secret Life of Bees is a book written by author Sue Monk Kidd and published in 2001, and a movie based on the book was released in 2008.
Upon release, the movie received mediocre reviews from critics but won multiple awards and grossed $40 million at the box office against a $11 million budget.
The plot of the story takes place in South Carolina in 1964 during the Civil Rights Movement.
The story follows young Lily Owens and her relationship with her abusive father and with Rosaleen, who is her father’s hired help.
Take a look at these Secret Life of Bees quotes to learn more about the book and movie.
The Favorite Secret Life of Bees Quotes From the Movie
Check out this collection of favorite quotes from the movie.
1. “I don’t know. Like… kissin’.” — Lily Owens
2. “How come you all got names from a calendar?” — Rosaleen Daise
3. “If your favorite color is blue, why did you paint the house pink?” — Lily Owens
4. “You think something being an impossibility makes you think about it even more?” — Lily Owens
5. “When I was 15, I made a 7UP cake for this boy. After that, he kissed me all the time.” — May Boatwright
6. “A worker bee weighs less than a flower petal, but she can fly with a load heavier than her.” — May Boatwright
7. “Our mama loved spring and summer. We had an April too, but she… she died when she was little.” — May Boatwright
8. “Miss August told me about you being here helping out. She didn’t mention anything about you being white.” — Zach Taylor
9. “Some things in life, like the color of a house, don’t really matter. But lifting someone’s heart, now that matters.” — August Boatwright
10. “When we went to the paint shop, she latched on to a color called “Caribbean Pink.” She said it made her feel like dancing a Spanish Flamenco.” — August Boatwright
The Favorite Secret Life of Bees Quotes From the Book
Check out this collection of favorite quotes from the book.
11. “Our mother said she was like Mary, with her heart on the outside of her chest.” — August Boatwright
12. “Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn’t know a thing about life.” — Lily Owens
13. “Please, Lily, you are insulting your fine intelligence. Do you have any idea how smart you are?” — Mrs. Henry
14. “We can’t think of changing our skin,’ he said. ‘Change the world—that’s how we gotta think.‘” — Zachary Taylor
15. “That night, I lay in bed and thought about dying and going to be with my mother in paradise.” — Lily Owens
16. “This was a great revelation – not that I was white, but that it seemed like June might not want me here because of my skin color.” — Lily Owens
17. “Most people don’t have any idea about all the complicated life going on inside a hive. Bees have a secret life we don’t know anything about.” — August Boatwright
Impactful Secret Life of Bees Quotes
Check out some of the more impactful quotes from the story.
18. “I feel like I’ve been beaten with a stick.” — Rosaleen Daise
19. “My daddy never feels. He never felt anything.” — Lily Owens
20. “Sometimes not feeling is the only way you can survive.” — May Boatwright
21. “My whole life has been nothing but a hole where my mother should have been.” — Lily Owens
22. “You think something being an impossibility makes you think about it even more?” — Lily Owens
23. “I know you can’t understand. Apologizing to those men would have just been a different way of dying.” — Rosaleen Daise
24. “I killed my mother when I was four years old. She was all I ever wanted, and I took her away.” — Lily Owens
25. “I personally thought it was the tackiest color I had ever seen, but I figured if it could lift May’s heart, it was good enough to live in.” — August Boatwright
What Happens to Lily?
Lily accidentally shot and killed her mother when she was only four years old and then was forced to live with her abusive father.
She eventually runs away with Rosaleen, and they take shelter at the home of a group of Black sisters who are beekeepers.
Lily and Rosaleen become close to the sisters, but when tragedy occurs, it is too much for Lily to handle.
Finally, Lily learns the truth about her mother and can forgive herself and continue living with the group of sisters.
Please share these Secret Life of Bees quotes with others by clicking the share button!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Rather than doing nothing and getting sucked into a terrible rabbit hole, let’s explore ten ways to reinvent yourself so you – and your life – can become unstuck.
Your mindset is your most powerful tool, and the best thing you can do with it is to remind yourself of all the good in your life each morning using positive affirmations.
Want to become a better friend? Here are five common beliefs that might keep you from being the friend you really want to be.
When life gets tough, just turn to these words of encouragement and you’ll feel better in no time.
Check out these related quote articles:
Here are some deep quotes from authors, sports figures, geniuses, and everyone in between!
Feeling alone and in need of some inspiration? Check out our list of lonely quotes that will help you cope with the feeling of loneliness.
Physical and emotional pain are an undeniable part of the human experience; these pain quotes prove it.
Life constantly offers valuable lessons that shape our journey and guide our growth.