Feel inspired by this collection of The Four Agreements quotes on how to live a more fulfilling life.
Many people experience shifts along their journey that put them on a more spiritually inclined path.
The Four Agreements is a book written by Dr. Don Miquel Ruiz, a surgeon turned spiritualist who uses Toltec cultural worldviews to help readers simplify their lives by providing a set of guiding principles by which to live life.
The Toltec people were indigenous to modern-day Mexico and remain revered for their highly developed spiritual understandings of the world.
The actual Four Agreements are as follows: Be impeccable with your word.
Don’t take anything personally.
Don’t make assumptions.
Always do your best.
What makes this book powerful is its simplicity.
Spiritual growth or the expansion of consciousness is difficult when the process becomes complicated.
Applying The Four Agreements to our lives takes a little bit of creativity and a little bit of patience, but it surely is worth it.
Don’t forget to also check out these A Course in Miracles quotes from the iconic book.
The Four Agreements quotes to help you live a fulfilling life
1. “Speak with integrity.” – The Four Agreements
2. “Say only what you mean.” – The Four Agreements
3. “Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.” – The Four Agreements
4. “Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” – The Four Agreements
5. “Go inside and listen to your body, because your body will never lie to you.” – The Four Agreements
6. “Your mind will play tricks, but the way you feel in your heart, in your guts, is the truth.” – The Four Agreements
7. “Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.” – The Four Agreements
8. “We are so well trained that we are our own domesticator.” – The Four Agreements
9. “We are an autodomesticated animal.” – The Four Agreements
10. “We can now domesticate ourselves according to the same belief system we were given, and using the same system of punishment and reward.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to guide you
11. “We punish ourselves when we don’t follow the rules according to our belief system; we reward ourselves when we are the ‘good boy’ or ‘good girl’.” – The Four Agreements
12. “Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama.” – The Four Agreements
13. “Find yourself and express yourself in your own particular way.” – The Four Agreements
14. “Express your love openly.” – The Four Agreements
15. “Life is nothing but a dream, and if you create your life with love, your dream becomes a masterpiece of art.” – The Four Agreements
16. “Nothing others do is because of you.” – The Four Agreements
17. “What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.” – The Four Agreements
18. “When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.” – The Four Agreements
19. “There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.” – The Four Agreements
20. “Taking things personally makes you easy prey for these predators, the black magicians.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to inspire and teach
21. “They can hook you easily with one little opinion and feed you whatever poison they want, and because you take it personally, you eat it up.” – The Four Agreements
22. “You eat all their emotional garbage, and now it becomes your garbage.” – The Four Agreements
23. “But if you do not take it personally, you are immune in the middle of hell.” – The Four Agreements
24. “Immunity to poison in the middle of hell is the gift of this agreement.” – The Four Agreements
25. “It is always better to ask questions than to make an assumption because assumptions set us up for suffering.” – The Four Agreements
What did you learn from these The Four Agreements quotes?
After reading The Four Agreements, there are a few overall lessons we can incorporate into our daily practice.
If we remember that we are domesticated from a young age by the collective cultures we grow up in and that these cultures infuse boundaries and rules that we have not necessarily chosen for ourselves, it will give us more peace of mind while we redefine what aspects of those rules work or do not work for us.
When we take a stand and make a choice we must remember that other people’s comments and opinions are reflections of them and not us, therefore there is no need to ever take anything personally.
At any time, if a person seeks change and no longer likes the agreements they are living by, there are ways to break old agreements and live with new ones we choose for ourselves.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these The Four Agreements quotes and lines?
What are some agreements that you have made that you choose to live by?
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST