Feel inspired by this collection of The Four Agreements quotes on how to live a more fulfilling life.
Many people experience shifts along their journey that put them on a more spiritually inclined path. The Four Agreements is a book written by Dr. Don Miquel Ruiz, a surgeon turned spiritualist who uses Toltec cultural worldviews to help readers simplify their lives by providing a set of guiding principles by which to live life.
The Toltec people were indigenous to modern-day Mexico and remain revered for their highly developed spiritual understandings of the world.
The actual Four Agreements are as follows: Be impeccable with your word. Don’t take anything personally. Don’t make assumptions. Always do your best.
What makes this book powerful is its simplicity. Spiritual growth or the expansion of consciousness is difficult when the process becomes complicated.
Applying The Four Agreements to our lives takes a little bit of creativity and a little bit of patience, but it surely is worth it.
Don’t forget to also check out these A Course in Miracles quotes from the iconic book.
The Four Agreements quotes to help you live a fulfilling life
1. “Speak with integrity.” – The Four Agreements
2. “Say only what you mean.” – The Four Agreements
3. “Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.” – The Four Agreements
4. “Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.” – The Four Agreements
5. “Go inside and listen to your body, because your body will never lie to you.” – The Four Agreements
6. “Your mind will play tricks, but the way you feel in your heart, in your guts, is the truth.” – The Four Agreements
7. “Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.” – The Four Agreements
8. “We are so well trained that we are our own domesticator.” – The Four Agreements
9. “We are an autodomesticated animal.” – The Four Agreements
10. “We can now domesticate ourselves according to the same belief system we were given, and using the same system of punishment and reward.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to guide you
11. “We punish ourselves when we don’t follow the rules according to our belief system; we reward ourselves when we are the ‘good boy’ or ‘good girl’.” – The Four Agreements
12. “Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama.” – The Four Agreements
13. “Find yourself and express yourself in your own particular way.” – The Four Agreements
14. “Express your love openly.” – The Four Agreements
15. “Life is nothing but a dream, and if you create your life with love, your dream becomes a masterpiece of art.” – The Four Agreements
16. “Nothing others do is because of you.” – The Four Agreements
17. “What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.” – The Four Agreements
18. “When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.” – The Four Agreements
19. “There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.” – The Four Agreements
20. “Taking things personally makes you easy prey for these predators, the black magicians.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to inspire and teach
21. “They can hook you easily with one little opinion and feed you whatever poison they want, and because you take it personally, you eat it up.” – The Four Agreements
22. “You eat all their emotional garbage, and now it becomes your garbage.” – The Four Agreements
23. “But if you do not take it personally, you are immune in the middle of hell.” – The Four Agreements
24. “Immunity to poison in the middle of hell is the gift of this agreement.” – The Four Agreements
25. “It is always better to ask questions than to make an assumption because assumptions set us up for suffering.” – The Four Agreements
26. “Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves.” – The Four Agreements
27. “Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.” – The Four Agreements
28. “If others tell us something we make assumptions, and if they don’t tell us something we make assumptions to fulfill our need to know and to replace the need to communicate.” – The Four Agreements
29. “Even if we hear something and we don’t understand we make assumptions about what it means and then believe the assumptions.” – The Four Agreements
30. “We make all sorts of assumptions because we don’t have the courage to ask questions.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to live by
31. “When you don’t do your best, you are denying yourself the right to be you.” – The Four Agreements
32. “Just do your best — in any circumstance in your life.” – The Four Agreements
33. “It doesn’t matter if you are sick or tired, if you always do your best there is no way you can judge yourself.” – The Four Agreements
34. “And if you don’t judge yourself there is no way you are going to suffer from guilt, blame, and self-punishment.” – The Four Agreements
35. “By always doing your best, you will break a big spell that you have been under.” – The Four Agreements
36. “Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.” – The Four Agreements
37. “Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.” – The Four Agreements
38. “You express your own divinity by being alive and by loving yourself and others.” – The Four Agreements
39. “The big difference between a warrior and a victim is that the victim represses and the warrior refrains.” – The Four Agreements
40. “It is when we lose control that we repress the emotions, not when we are in control.” – The Four Agreements
The Four Agreements quotes to inspire personal freedom
41. “True justice is paying only once for each mistake. True injustice is paying more than once for each mistake.” – The Four Agreements
42. “Wherever you go you will find people lying to you, and as your awareness grows, you will notice that you also lie to yourself.” – The Four Agreements
43. “Do not expect people to tell you the truth because they also lie to themselves.” – The Four Agreements
44. “You have to trust yourself and choose to believe or not to believe what someone says to you.” – The Four Agreements
45. “If you live in a past dream, you don’t enjoy what is happening right now because you will always wish it to be different than it is.” – The Four Agreements
46. “There is no time to miss anyone or anything because you are alive.” – The Four Agreements
47. “Not enjoying what is happening right now is living in the past and being only half alive. This leads to self-pity, suffering and tears.” – The Four Agreements
48. “If someone is not treating you with love and respect, it is a gift if they walk away from you.” – The Four Agreements
49. “If that person doesn’t walk away, you will surely endure many years of suffering with him or her. Walking away may hurt for a while, but your heart will eventually heal. Then you can choose what you really want.” – The Four Agreements
50. “You will find that you don’t need to trust others as much as you need to trust yourself to make the right choices.” – The Four Agreements
What did you learn from these The Four Agreements quotes?
After reading The Four Agreements, there are a few overall lessons we can incorporate into our daily practice. If we remember that we are domesticated from a young age by the collective cultures we grow up in and that these cultures infuse boundaries and rules that we have not necessarily chosen for ourselves, it will give us more peace of mind while we redefine what aspects of those rules work or do not work for us.
When we take a stand and make a choice we must remember that other people’s comments and opinions are reflections of them and not us, therefore there is no need to ever take anything personally.
At any time, if a person seeks change and no longer likes the agreements they are living by, there are ways to break old agreements and live with new ones we choose for ourselves.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these The Four Agreements quotes and lines? What are some agreements that you have made that you choose to live by?
November 22, 2021 7:00 AM EST