These fifty The Karate Kid quotes remind us of the value of trusting the nature of our own growth.
A fantastic underdog story for teenagers to learn from and adults to reflect on, The Karate Kid depicts how our teenage years present their own unique challenges.
Body changes, deeper emotional depth, and adjusting to new social roles are all part of a special time where we learn the importance of transformation and the value of trusting the process.
Teenagers are filled with strong emotions and often do not have constructive outlets to channel that energy, which can lead to confrontation with peers and others.
The movie illustrates that in varying degrees, confrontation cannot be avoided, but we can control how we react and respond to it.
The film encourages young people to find healthy outlets to help them manage stress and express themselves. A main theme from the film is the need for personal growth and proving yourself to yourself.
Hopefully, these fifty The Karate Kid quotes will inspire you to stay focused on your goal and remind you to enjoy the ride of life.
Don’t forget to also check out these Mr. Miyagi quotes to awaken the karate kid in you.
The Karate Kid quotes to help you stay focused
1. “Fighting always last answer to problem.”
2. “Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off.”
3. “Man who catch fly with chopstick, accomplish anything.”
4. “Daniel: Don’t those lies bother you?
Daniel: Why not? People might think that they are true.”
5. “If come from inside you, always right one.”
6. “You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.”
7. “To make honey, young bee need young flower, not old prune.”
8. “If karate used defend honor, defend life, karate mean something. If karate used defend plastic metal trophy, karate no mean nothing.”
9. “First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-San, not mine.”
10. “Sometimes what heart know, head forget.”
Wise The Karate Kid quotes
11. “Daniel-San, you look revenge that way, you start by digging two grave.”
12. “Here are two rules of Miyagi-Ryu karate. Rule number one: Karate for defense only.
Rule number 2: First learn rule number one!”
13. “It’s okay to lose to opponent! Must not lose to fear!”
14. “Never put passion in front of principle. Even if you win, you lose.”
15. “For man with no forgiveness in heart, life worse punishment than death.”
16. “No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.”
17. “Walk on road, hmmm? walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later … Get squish just like grape!”
18. “You too much TV.”
19. “Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life! whole life have a balance, everything be better.”
20. “We make sacred pact. I promise teach karate to you, you promise learn. I say, you do, no questions.”
The Karate Kid quotes that will make your day
21. “Never trust spiritual leader who cannot dance.”
22. “Daniel-San, lie become truth only if person wanna believe it.”
23. “Oh, Daniel-san, you too much by self, not good.”
24. “I’m not by myself, I’m with you.”
25. “You think you could break a log like that?
26. “Don’t know. Never been attacked by a tree.”
27. “Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?”
28. “Either you karate do “yes” or karate do “no.” You karate do “guess so,” (get squished) just like grape.”
29. “Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong you choose own way do karate same reason.”
30. “You could have killed him, couldn’t you?”
The Karate Kid quotes to learn from
31. “For man with no forgiveness in heart, life worse punishment than death.”
32. “Look at those palm trees. Damn! You know what that means?”
33. “Yeah. Watch out for falling coconuts.”
34. “Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don’t forget to breathe, very important.”
35. “Make block. Left, right. Up, down. Side, side. Breathe in, breathe out. And no scare fish.”
36. “We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: a man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.”
37. “We make sacred pact. I promise teach karate to you, you promise learn. I say, you do, no questions.”
38. “You’re the best friend I’ve ever had.”
39. “You… pretty okay, too.”
40. “How did you do that? How did you do that?”
Other memorable The Karate Kid quotes?
41. “Don’t know. First time.”
42. “Well, I figured you knew about this stuff. I figured you went to these before. Oh great, I’m dead. I am dead. You told me you fought a lot.”
43. “For life, not for points.”
44. “Banzai! [totally confused] To baby trees.
45. “Not bonsai, “banzai!”
46. “When do I learn how to punch?”
47. “Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?”
48. “You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.”
49. “Karate come from China, sixteenth century, called “te”, “hand”. Hundred year later, Miyagi ancestor bring to Okinawa, call “kara-te”, “empty hand”.”
50. “I thought it came from Buddhist temples and stuff like that.”
What did you learn from these The Karate Kid quotes?
Everyone loves a good underdog story, and The Karate Kid is one of the most memorable from the 80s. Sometimes it seems like teens make decisions without using their head, and in a way this is true.
Adolescence is a time of significant brain development and the prefrontal cortex of a teenager is still developing causing teens to rely on their amygdala to make decisions and solve problems.
The amygdala, of course, is the part of the brain that is associated with impulses, aggression and instinctive behavior, hence the choices that don’t always seem to make sense to adults.
This is all part of the process of our development and without it, we would not understand important life lessons such as how to deal with disappointment, the learning opportunities in consequences, and the power of cause and effect.
Unlike Daniel-San, we do not all have a Mr. Miyagi to mentor us, but adults can remind and encourage teenagers to not judge themselves too harshly while going through this transformation.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these The Karate Kid quotes and lines? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
October 13, 2021 7:00 AM EST