The Last Kingdom quotes will give you a peek into the series.
One of the best British historical fiction series to date is The Last Kingdom.
The series is based on the bestselling novels of Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon Stories and has been a notable must-watch for many historical drama fans.
The story is set in the year 866 when the Great Heathen Army arrived in Britain and strengthened the relationship of the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons.
It focused on the Kingdom of Wessex and how it resisted the incursions of Vikings to Southern England.
The main character in focus is Uhtred of Bebbanburg, the successor of Saxon earldom, who was captured by the Danes.
He was raised by the Danes as their own, however, upon growing up, he had to face the reality of choosing between his ancestors and avenging the death of the people who raised him.
Uhtred wanted to regain Bebbanburg from his uncle who wanted him dead to rule the kingdom for himself while also looking after the Danes where he grew up.
Enjoy these The Last Kingdom quotes.
The Last Kingdom Quotes
1. “Aethelwold, you’re as much a warrior as you are a King.” — Uhtred
2. “I do not seek battles. Battles just seem to seek me.” — Uhtred
3. “I have given half my life to Wessex. I will give no more.” — Uhtred
4. “It does not matter what they call us, so long as they obey.” — Uhtred
5. “My journey continues. My paths leads north to blood fields. To revenge and to Bebbanburg. Destiny is all.” — Uhtred
6. “Not everybody enjoys a fool.” — Brida
7. “Soon, all of the kings in England shall be kings of nothing.” — Ravn
8. “To advise a king is a great honor. But it can also be a curse.” — Beocca
9. “To fight, men need a lord who can lead them into battle without fear.” — Uhtred
10. “We can be enemies or lovers. We can suffer or we can rule.” — Skade
The Last Kingdom Quotes Full of Wisdom
11. “You cannot invite a serpent into the garden and be surprised when it slithers on the ground.” — Beocca
12. “A country is its history, the sum of all its stories, we are what our fathers made us.” — Alfred
13. “A good King relies upon good advice.” — Alfred
14. “A king must be a king on his own terms. He cannot be his father. He can only be himself.” — Uhtred
15. “An empty throne provokes more trouble than a weak king.” — Uhtred
16. “Courage is finding the will to overcome your fear, nothing more.” — Uhtred
17. ”Fear is within all of us. As is strength.” — Alfred
18. “Fighting is expected. Disobedience is not.” — Earl Ragnar
19. “Good service past is no excuse for breaking the law of the land.” — Alfred
20. “I fear no number of kneeling clergymen will change what a heathen’s axe has already decreed.” — Odda
The Last Kingdom Quotes for You to Enjoy
21. “If you want wealth, you take it. You can’t ignore what’s true.” — Brida
22. “Men who take their orders from the gods are unpredictable.” — Ravn
23. “Not every sword stroke is a kill! A kill is something you must fashion.” — Uhtred
24. “What binds a man to his land? What power within allows him to give his life to preserve his land and the lives of the families who work it? It can only be love.” — Uhtred
25. “God created everything that surrounds me, the fields, rivers, the forests. The land is my church.” — Uhtred
26. “Fear can be expelled with knowledge.” — Alfred
27. “Whatever I discover about my enemies is written down.” — Alfred
28. “We are one, you and I. From the moment I took your hand on the steps of the great hall of Eoferwic, we were bound as one. You may dislike me, hate me if you wish, despise me at times. But love is immortal. It goes on.” — Uhtred
29. “To Uhtred, the true Lord of Bebbanburg. A man I have never understood, but without whom I would not die a king.” — Alfred
30. “There’s no justice here. Only the church.” — Uhtred
Popular The Last Kingdom Quotes from the Series
31. “You will never be rid of me. Accept it. Accept me.” — Skade
32. “When one side seeks to destroy the other, you must choose in order to survive.” — Sigtryggr
33. “Revenge will not bring you peace, only death.” — Beocca
34. “I fear no number of kneeling clergymen will change what a heathen’s axe has already decreed.” — Odda
35. “Courage without the sword is the more difficult path. It must, in time, become the only path.” — Alfred
36. “The truth of a man lies not in the land of his birth, but in his heart.” — Uhtred
37. “The promises you have made will stand. Blood feuds last a lifetime. What you do, arseling, is you keep living each day until the last.” — Leofric
38. “The priest doesn’t lie. Despite him being a priest.” — Uhtred
39. “The heathen cares only for personal gain.” — Alfred
40. “The future is fate, it won’t change.” — Uhtred
More The Last Kingdom Quotes
41. “The act of committing ink to parchment gives a deed permanence.” — Alfred
42. “One path looks like another.” — Uhtred
43. “Nothing finishes an evening in an alehouse so well as a fight.” — Uhtred
44. “Leofric. How did you manage to get such a big head into such a small helmet?” — Brida
45. “Land and silver is what all men desire and I’m no different.” — Uhtred
46. “It does not matter what they call us, so long as they obey.” — Uhtred
47. “If your God’s with you, you’re a lucky man.” — Uhtred
48. “I would rather be at the top of a hill than on the flat.” — Alfred
49. “I want them to know that I am alive. I need them to know that I’m alive because they hold what’s mine.” — Uhtred
50. “I prefer the company of the Gods to stupid men.” — Brida
Indeed, Cornwell’s novels played a major role in the build-up of the story throughout the series.
Major events of the series were derived from Cornwell’s The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman novels.
For the second season, events from The Lords of the North and Sword Song novels were injected.
Although there were some plot changes, The Burning Land and Death of Kings novels were notably the inspiration behind the third season.
The whole series covered over four decades which spanned four seasons.
The Last Kingdom was first aired via BBC America and BBC Two.
However, due to its increased viewership for its superb storyline, The Last Kingdom was aired via Netflix during the ten episodes of its third season, which was considered to be a positive feat for the show.
It was then renewed for the fourth and final season also under Netflix.
Aside from the magnificent storyline, The Last Kingdom is lauded for the beautiful cinematography infused in every episode.
This fictional historical drama is often likened to another fan-favorite series The Game of Thrones.
If you liked that, you’ll enjoy reading these The Last Kingdom quotes to relive your favorite moments.