Garden Quotes That Inspire Kindness
August 2, 2022 5:00 AM EST
These garden quotes show the connection between life and nature and will inspire you to act in kindness.
To those that aren’t familiar with gardening and plants, a flower might look like a flower, or a weed may even look like a flower.
However, those that enjoy working in the garden discover that there are a lot of life lessons that can be learned from the process.
One of the lessons that you can learn is the impact that kindness has when taking care of plants, the same way it makes an impact on people.
Whether you enjoy getting your hands dirty in the earth, enjoy looking at the flowers, or are just looking for a little inspiration, you can enjoy these gardening quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these inspirational sunflower quotes to learn from.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Garden quotes on the impact that a garden can make
1.) “He plants trees to benefit another generation.” – Caecilius Statius
You will also enjoy our article on kindness quotes.
2.) “By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower.” – Rabindranath Tagore
3.) “Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors.” – Mary Cantwell
4.) “A garden is always a series of losses set against a few triumphs, like life itself.” – May Sarton
5.) “Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts.” – Sigmund Freud
6.) “When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the garden.” – Minnie Aumonier
7.) “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” – Dalai Lama
Garden quotes on doing things for others
8.) “Use plants to bring life.” – Douglas Wilson
9.) “Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.” – A.A. Milne
10.) “It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more trees.” – George Eliot
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of rose quotes that celebrate the beautiful flower.
11.) “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” – Greek proverb
12.) “The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add a useful plant to its culture.” – Thomas Jefferson
13.) “Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.” – Luther Burbank
14.) “A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.” – D. Elton Trueblood
15.) “I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.” – Abraham Lincoln
16.) “Life begins the day you start a garden.” – Chinese proverb
17.) “I plant a lot of trees. I am a great believer in planting things for future generations. I loathe the now culture where you just live for today.” – Penelope Keith
You might also like these pineapple quotes and sayings celebrating the queen of tropical fruits.
Garden quotes that will make your day
18.) “The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.” – Alfred Austin
19.) “When the world wearies and society fails to satisfy, there is always the garden.” – Minnie Aumonier
20.) “Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.” – Author Unknown
21.) “Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace.” – May Sarton
22.) “A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.” — Gertrude Jekyll
23.) “You have to get up and plant the seed and see if it grows, but you can’t just wait around, you have to water it and take care of it.” – Bootsy Collins
24.) “If you wish to make anything grow, you must understand it, and understand it in a very real sense. ‘Green fingers’ are a fact, and a mystery only to the unpracticed. But green fingers are the extensions of a verdant heart.” – Russell Page
25.) “A garden requires patient labor attention. Plants do not grow merely to satisfy ambitions or to fulfill good intentions. They thrive because someone expended effort on them.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
26.) “Gardening simply does not allow one to be mentally old, because too many hopes and dreams are yet to be realized.” – Allan Armitage
27.) “A life without dreams is like a garden without flowers.” – Unknown
28.) “The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies, but never grows to the enduring happiness that the love of gardening gives.” – Gertrude Jekyll
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out our collection of healthy eating quotes celebrating better food choices.
Garden quotes that are full of life lessons
29.) “Plant so your own heart will grow.” – Hafiz
30.) “The lesson I have thoroughly learnt, and wish to pass on to others, is to know the enduring happiness that the love of a garden gives.” – Gertrude Jekyll
31.) “With just a little drop of kindness, you can water a whole garden.” – Heather Wolf
32.) “The heart is the garden that always has room for the flowers of kindness and friendship to bloom.” – Unknown
33.) “Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits, take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine kind words, and kind deeds.” – Unknown
34.) “You are the creator of your own garden. Plant kindness and compassion. Water with love and gratitude. And you will enjoy beauty all the days of your life.” – Julie Parker
35.) “A soul without kindness is like a garden without plants and flowers.” – Debasish Mridha
36.) “As perfume to the flower, so is kindness to speech.” – Katherine Francke
37.) “Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.” – Alfred Austin
38.) “Help us to be ever faithful gardeners of the spirit, who know that without darkness nothing comes to birth, and without light nothing flowers.” – May Sarton
39.) “Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens refect the kind of care they get.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
40.) “A weed is but an unloved flower.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Don’t forget to also read these beautiful flower quotes that will make you appreciate the beauty around you.
Garden quotes to explore and share
41.) “Fertilizer does no good in a heap, but a little spread around work miracles all over.” – Richard Brinsley Sheridan
42.) “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
43.) “The single greatest lesson the garden teaches is that our relationship to the planet need not be zero-sum, and that as long as the sun still shines and people still can plan and plant, think and do, we can, if we bother to try, find ways to provide for ourselves without diminishing the world.” – Michael Pollan
44.) “Essential advice for the gardener: grow peas of mind, lettuce be thankful, squash selfishness, turnip to help thy neighbor, and always make thyme for loved ones.” – Unknown
45.) “How fair is a garden amid the trials and passions of existence.” – Benjamin Disraeli
46.) “The flower which is single, need not envy thorns that are numerous.” – Rabindranath Tagore
47.) “The flower that smells the sweetest is shy and lowly.” – William Wordsworth
48.) “A good garden may have some weeds.” – Thomas Fuller
49.) “When people will not weed their own minds, they are apt to be overrun by nettles.” – Horace Walpole
50.) “Plants want to grow; they are on your side as long as you are reasonably sensible.” – Anne Wareham
Don’t forget to also check out these farmer quotes that will make you love the land.
Garden quotes that will brighten your day
51. “There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.” – Janet Kilburn Phillips
52. “It was such a pleasure to sink one’s hands into the warm earth, to feel at one’s fingertips the possibilities of the new season.” – Kate Morton
53. “The garden suggests there might be a place where we can meet nature halfway.” – Michael Pollan
54. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” – Audrey Hepburn
55. “The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul.” – Alfred Austin
56. “Planting a garden with food potential is one of the most valuable things we can do.” – Isabell Shipard
57. “Gardening is how I relax. It’s another form of creating and playing with colors.” – Oscar de la Rentawn
58. “Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.” – OG Mandino
59. “My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece.” – Claude Monet
60. “Gardening is the art that uses flowers and plants as paint, and the soil and sky as canvas.” – Elizabeth Murray
Garden quotes to inspire and teach
61. “A garden is a delight to the eye and a solace for the soul.” – Saadi
62. “People are beautifully made just like flowers in the garden!” – Mwanandeke Kindembo
63. “Your garden is a place where your body and soul can be in dialogue with your surroundings.” – Shoukei Matsumoto
64. “What people see in a garden is a reflection of what is in their heart.” – Shoukei Matsumoto
65. “In a world full of roses, stand out like a dandelion in the middle of a green, plush lawn!” – June Stoyer
66. “If I had a rose for every day I thought of her, I would have a garden full.” – Giovannie de Sadeleer
67. “How beautiful is God’s Garden and yet most people don’t see it.” – Roland R Kemler
68. “The peace of the gardens and the kindly lights in the windows poured a tender influence into his restless heart.” – James Joyce
69. “There is something divine, something artistic, and something supreme in reading a book in a peaceful garden.” – Mehmet Murat ildan
70. “True joy blossoms in the garden of inner peace.” – Milan Ljubincic
More garden quotes and sayings
71. “A garden’s beauty never lies in one flower.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
72. “Nothing is all bad. There are very beautiful flowers in the desert amidst the spikes and thorns. Just don’t let them take over. In the garden of love, there is little room for prickly things.” – Kate McGahan
73. “If you stop tending to flowers when they lose a few petals, you will never grow a garden.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
74. “A seed is its own world, a garden is its own universe.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
75. “Planting your own garden is better than waiting for someone to bring you flowers.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
76. “A school of knowledge is located in your backyard garden.” – Bert McCoy
77. “One seed shall not make a garden one plant makes a garden.” – J. Tisa
78. “I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden.” – Ruth Stout
79. “Gardens are not made by singing ‘Oh, how beautiful!’ and sitting in the shade.” – Rudyard Kipling
80. “When you increase the number of gardens, you increase the number of heavens too!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
Beautiful garden quotes
81. “What’s a butterfly garden without butterflies?” – Roy Rogers
82. “Who loves a garden loves a greenhouse too. ” – William Cowper
83. “I’ve always felt that having a garden is like having a good and loyal friend. ” – C.Z. Guest
84. “A brier rose whose buds yield fragrant harvest for the honey bee. ” – Leitia Elizabeth Landon
85. “Flowers are happy things. ” – P.G. Wodehouse
86. “A single rose can be my garden… a single friend, my world.” – Leo Buscaglia
87. “In search of my mother’s garden, I found my own.” – Alice Walker
88. “Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers where I can walk undisturbed.” – Walt Whitman
89. “Well, I do find the beauty in animals. I find beauty everywhere. I find beauty in my garden.” – Doris Day
90. “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming.” – Pablo Neruda
Lifegiving garden quotes
91. “In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” -Margaret Atwood
92. “Behold, my friends, the spring is come; the earth has gladly received the embraces of the sun, and we shall soon see the results of their love!” -SItting Bull
93. “The best place to find God is in a garden.” -George Bernard Shaw
94. “Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” -Douglas Adams
95. “We must cultivate our own garden. When man was put in the garden of Eden he was put there so that he should work, which proves that man was not born to rest.” -Voltaire
96. “Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get.” -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
97. “God Almighty first planted a garden. And indeed, it is the purest of human pleasures.” -Francis Bacon
98. “A garden must combine the poetic and the mysterious with a feeling of serenity and joy.” -Luis Barragan
99. “I like gardening – it’s a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself.” -Alice Sebold
100. “If your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Bill Watterson
Garden Quotes For Celebrating A Gardener’s Passion
101. “No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.” — Thomas Jefferson
102. “I don’t like formal gardens. I like nature. It’s just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess.” — Walt Disney
103. “Kiss of the sun for pardon. Song of the birds for mirth. You’re closer to God’s heart in a garden than any place else on earth.” — Dorothy Frances Gurney
104. “Gardening is not a rational act.” — Margaret Atwood
105. “Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same.” — Helen Keller
106. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” — Oscar Wilde
107. “Gardening is a humbling experience.” — Martha Stewart
108. “There is nothing pleasanter than spading when the ground is soft and damp.” — John Steinbeck
109. “Almost every person, from childhood, has been touched by the untamed beauty of wildflowers.” — Lady Bird Johnson
110. “It’s true that I have a wide range of interests. I like to write and paint and make music and go walking on my own and garden. In fact, gardening is probably what I enjoy doing more than anything else.” — Viggo Mortensen
What do you learn in your garden?
Next time you are in your garden, think about these gardening quotes and the lessons you can learn yourself and pass on to others from the work that you do to grow your plants and flowers.
Or, if you don’t enjoy gardening on your own, take a walk through another garden or even nature at it’s best and let the beauty and peacefulness of it inspire you in your actions towards others.
Consider the way others flourish under a kind and gentle spirit the same way a garden does under kind care.
Keep these quote reminders close at heart for those long winter days when you miss the beauty of the garden in spring and summer.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these garden quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.