Looking for awesome growing up quotes?
Change is something that many people do not handle well. Positive or negative, change carries with it a certain level of stress.
How we deal with that change, how we embrace it, and what we choose to learn from it, is up to us. Hopefully, these quotes on growth can help you find that acceptance and gift that change can bring in your own life.
Inspirational Growing Up Quotes
1. “No Work so great, but what admits decay,
No Act so glorious, but must fade away…
Old things must yield to New, Common to Strange,
Perpetual Motion, brings perpetual Change.” – James Miller (1706–1744), Harlequin-Horace: Or, The Art of Modern Poetry, 1731
2. “Who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.”- Harold Wilson
3. “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.”- Anatole France
4. “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”- Viktor Frankl
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
5. “Without accepting the fact that everything changes, we cannot find perfect composure. But unfortunately, although it is true, it is difficult for us to accept it. Because we cannot accept the truth of transience, we suffer.”- Shunryu Suzuki
6. “If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.”- Mary Engelbreit
7. “It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.”- W. Edwards Deming (Thanks, Michelle)
8. “Every hour proves to us that change and decay are written upon all things earthly. As surely will the proudest monuments of human labor pass away, as the morning mist from among the hills. If we can look upon the past and behold the ravages of time, or on the present and not feel his powerful influence upon ourselves and the things around us, then indeed will our future be dark and cheerless.”- Charles Lanman, ‘Musings,’ 1840
9. “You must welcome change as the rule but not as your ruler.”- Denis Waitley
Growing Up Quotes about Life and Time
10. “If you’re in a bad situation, don’t worry, it’ll change. If you’re in a good situation, don’t worry it’ll change.”- John A. Simone, Sr.
11. “There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in travelling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one’s position, and be bruised in a new place.”- Washington Irving
12. “When you are through changing, you are through.”- Bruce Barton
13. “The man who looks for security, even in the mind, is like a man who would chop off his limbs in order to have artificial ones which will give him no pain or trouble.”- Henry Miller
14. “Life is change.”- Heraclitus of Ephesus
15. “Change is inevitable — except from a vending machine.”- Robert C. Gallagher
16. “Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.”- John Kenneth Galbraith
Also read these childhood quotes that will make you connect with your inner child.
Growing Up Quotes about Changing for the Better
17. “What can we take on trust
in this uncertain life? Happiness, greatness,
pride — nothing is secure, nothing keeps.”- Euripides, Hecuba
18. “They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.”- Confucius
19. “It is a pleasant feeling to be the first to walk on sands which the tide has just left. It is like being the first to visit a new land. It produces a freshness of sensation something akin to that of early morning, or of spring. It is like entering upon a new stage of life, having a new world before us from which to receive, and upon which to make impressions.”- Henry James Slack (1818–1896), The Ministry of the Beautiful, ‘Conversation II: Footsteps on the Sand,’ 1850 [Lyulph speaking —tεᖇᖇ¡·g]
20. “The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions.”- Ellen Glasgow
21. “There were no violins or warning bells… no sense that my little life was about to change. But we never know, do we? Life turns on a dime.”- Stephen King, 11/22/63, 2011
22. “Life is its own journey, presupposes its own change and movement, and one tries to arrest them at one’s eternal peril.”- Laurens van der Post
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of life changing quotes about love, life and death.
23. “Growth is the only evidence of life.”- John Henry Newman, Apologia pro vita sua, 1864
24. “The past is the present, and the present the future, to the non-progressive mind.”- James Lendall Basford (1845–1915), Sparks from the Philosopher’s Stone, 1882
25. “Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations.”- Faith Baldwin
26. “The circumstances of the world are so variable that an irrevocable purpose or opinion is almost synonymous with a foolish one.”- William H. Seward
27. “The birds are molting. If only man could molt also — his mind once a year its errors, his heart once a year its useless passions.”- James Allen
28. “The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind.”- William Blake
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of William Blake quotes for the creative soul.
29. “Man’s yesterday may ne’er be like his morrow;
Nought may endure but Mutability.”- Percy Bysshe Shelley, ‘Mutability’
30. “You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish.”- Author Unknown
31. “Time, which changes people, does not alter the image we have retained of them.”- Marcel Proust
32. “Stubbornness does have its helpful features. You always know what you are going to be thinking tomorrow.”- Glen Beaman
33. “It is strange and wonderful what changes may be wrought by a few fleeting months, on the human frame, and the human heart.”- Elizabeth J. Eames, ‘An Autumn Reverie,’ October 1840
34. “When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.”- Chinese Proverb
35. “I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed.”- George Carlin
Growing Up Quotes about Changing for the Better
36. “Must the old joys be evermore withholden?
Even their memory keeps me pure and true;
And yet, God speaketh, ‘I make all things new.’” – Sarah Doudney, ‘Between the Lights,’ c.1875
37. “Change may come to you in trinkets and I hope it adorns your life gracefully.”- Dodinsky, www.dodinsky.com
38. “People and their rituals. They cling to things so hard sometimes.”- Garth Stein, The Art of Racing in the Rain, 2008
39. “For either or both ways all minds are always,
Morning and noon and night, sleeping and waking,
Summer and winter, always, always changing…”- James Henry, ‘Love,’ 1855 December 26th
40. “The wheel of change moves on, and those who were down go up and those who were up go down.”- Jawaharlal Nehru
41. “What you have become is the price you paid to get what you used to want.”- Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic’s Notebook, 1960
42. “We would rather be ruined than changed;
We would rather die in our dread
Than climb the cross of the moment
And let our illusions die.” – W.H. Auden
43. “You never have a friend all figured out. Just when you think you know what makes them tick, they tock.”- Robert Brault, rbrault.blogspot.com
44. “All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward.”- Ellen Glasgow
45. “Even though you’re growing up, you should never stop having fun.” –Nina Dobrev
Other growing up quotes to inspire you
46. “If growing up is the process of creating ideas and dreams about what life should be, then maturity is letting go again.” – Mary Beth Danielson
47. “Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.” – Chili Davis
48. “Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you’re in diapers; the next day you’re gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.” – The Wonder Years
49. “Growing up is losing some illusions, in order to acquire others.” –Virginia Woolf
50. “Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change.” – Cassandra Clare
Also check out these inspirational quotes for kids about kindness.
Did any of these quotes about growing up resonate with you?
Many people do not handle any type of change well, and they prefer to live a life that is consistent and the same each day. This manages their anxiety, and assures them that they always know what’s coming next. The problem is that, life does not work like that.
Change is inevitable. It’s what makes us grow up. You never know when you – or your life – can change forever.
September 30, 2020 6:00 AM EST