These mask quotes not only address the wearing of masks but what happens when we take them off.
There has been a lot of debate over wearing literal masks, and that got me thinking about the metaphorical masks that people wear.
Do you think you, or the people you love, wear a mask in their daily lives? I think if we are honest with ourselves, we would realize that we wear a mask in many of life’s situations, including work, love, and life.
Just what do we hide behind these masks? Some say it’s the truth, others claim it’s horrors, and some claim it’s our basest urges. Keep reading through these mask quotes from people like Oscar Wilde and Nicholas Sparks for their thoughts.
Does wearing a mask make us a liar or a truer version of ourselves? Are you different with your mask on that you wonder if people’s feelings would change if they saw glimpses of the real you?
Don’t forget to also check out these authenticity quotes about being your authentic self.
Famous mask quotes about love, life, and other virtues
1. “Do they love you or the mask you put on every day?” ― Shimika Bowers
2. “I learned in high school if I hold up an effigy, a mask, or a lie, that mask will get all the love, not me.” ― Lynn Breedlove
3. “If you want people to love you for who you are, take the mask off.” ― Quetzal
4. “Love has a powerful way of removing the mask we all insist on wearing.” ― Jessy
5. “Ironically, when we own the shadow aspects of our self and put down our masks – this is when we become truly lovable.” ― Jane Monica-Jones
6. “I’d rather fall in love with a delicate heart than a perfect mask.” ― Sai Pradeep
7. “We have always been wearing masks its just that it has become mandatory when one’s own life is threatened.” ― Amit Abraham
8. “Are you sincere? Are you yourself? Are you as you look? You don’t have a mask on your face? You speak what you think? Then you are real, then you are not fake!”― Mehmet Murat ildan
Mask quotes on the truth behind every mask
9. “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” ― Oscar Wilde
10. “If you want to say something and have people listen, then you have to wear a mask. If you want to be honest, then you have to live a lie.” ― Banksy
11. “The irony of life is that those who wear masks often tell us more truths than those with open faces.” ― Marie Lu
12. “They say truth is hidden behind their masks, but I believe Truth comes out when they are masked!” ― Twinkle
13. “Something happens to people when they’re masked. They become too free, uncivilized. They may do anything.” ― Alexandra Ripley
14. “Give a man a mask, and he’ll tell you deeper and darker truths. But he’ll also be more abusive, unaccountable, and demonic.” ― Cory Duchesne
15. “What I wear on and off stage is my mask. You see, a mask doesn’t hide you, it exposes you.” ― Nuno Roque
Revealing mask quotes
16. “In a mask, we are faceless and classless, ageless and anonymous. Masks reveal the primal urge to behave like the beast in rut that leaps on the stranger or waits in the penumbra to be leapt upon.” ― Chloe Thurlow
17. “Masks reveal the shape of your soul and the state of the world and, in today’s world, everyone wears a mask.” ― Chloe Thurlow
18. “Masks reveal. They don’t conceal. Masks reveal your cravings, your passion, your deepest most secret desires.” ― Chloe Thurlow
19. “The mask in which you choose to disguise yourself uncovers who you subconsciously are or want to be. Masks reveal in the eyes the face that lies hidden as if the mask is a dark glass mirroring your soul.” ― Chloe Thurlow
20. “No one reveals himself as he is; we all wear a mask and play a role.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
21. “Modern man has too many masks to wear. We must unmask and be ourselves, sincerely, earnestly and live truly as we are.” ― Gyomay M. Kubose
22. “Horror is the removal of masks.” ― Robert Bloch
23. “Everyone wears metaphorical masks during their lives. We all have different faces we show to work colleagues, or friends, or family. Sometimes we wear so many masks, we forget who we are underneath it all, but you have to find the courage to drop all the bullshit and reveal your true self.” ― Leisa Rayven
24. “Halloween is a day in which some people choose to wear a mask… while others finally feel safe to take theirs off.” ― Steve Maraboli
Mask quotes about the downsides of wearing one
25. “We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
26. “We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin.” ― André Berthiaume
27. “Wearing a mask wears you out. Faking it is fatiguing. The most exhausting activity is pretending to be what you know you aren’t.” ― Rick Warren
28. “You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” ― Alan Moore
29. “A mask can be expedient when it’s a mask you know you’re wearing and can take off at will, but masks which are worn habitually cannot be removed without tearing off some of your real face.” ― Glenn Haybittle
30. “We put on masks we believe will be more acceptable to the world than the truth of who we are. In doing so, we sacrifice the gift of self-acceptance.” ― Jane Monica-Jones
31. “He often felt that too many people lived their lives acting and pretending; wearing masks and losing themselves in the process.” ― Nicholas Sparks
32. “The question to ask about the writer isn’t ‘Why does he behave so badly?’ but ‘What does he gain by wearing this mask?’” ― Philip Roth
33. “Masks are elaborate and everyone has one. It takes a while to get to know people. This doesn’t make them mysterious, it makes them like everyone else.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
Mask quotes about the humanity of wearing one
34. “People seldom change. Only their masks do. It is only our perception of them and the perception they have of themselves that actually change.” ― Shannon L. Alder
35. “People wake up in the morning; there are many masks in their rooms, and today they decide which mask to wear! Man has only one face, but a thousand masks!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
36. “I imagine everyone wears layered masks, and parades around a variety or panoply of false selves depending on the occasion.” ― Wendy Hoffman
37. “Masks cannot change the real faces!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
38. “People do not change. It is just that they change the masks they wear and the acts they put on, with new costumes, new dialogues, and new settings. That is human nature.” ― Ama H. Vanniarachchy
39. “I lie without a mask, thus I am an honest man.” ― Lionel Suggs
40. “Behind every mask, there is a face, and behind that a story.” ― Marty Rubin
41. “The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask.” ― Agatha Christie
42. “A name is a mask, a hiding place. We are all nameless inside.” ― Marty Rubin
Short mask quotes and sayings
43. “Virtue has a veil, vice a mask.” ― Victor Hugo
44. “With his mask and my sword, we could subdue even the shadows.” ― Nadine Brandes
45. “A red nose is the clown’s mask and my mustache is mine.” ― Nuno Roque
46. “We all wear masks, but it’s the one we choose to wear that makes a difference.” ― Kim Yannayon
47. “Every face is born with a thousand masks to go with it.” ― Marty Rubin
48. “Kings have no need of masks. A mask is a release from oneself, a respite.” ― Lydia Zinovieva-Annibal
49. “He smiled at her, the same smile stapled to the mask of every career politician.” ― Mandy Ashcraft
50. “Without wearing any mask we are conscious of, we have a special face for each friend.” ―Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
What did you learn from these mask quotes?
Mask wearing is not a new concept and happens because people are vulnerable. The root of the reason behind why we wear them comes down to coping and protecting ourselves. Most people will try to fit into whatever box they feel like society has put them in.
Imposter syndrome and low self-esteem are other reasons someone might wear a mask. Fear and insecurity are feelings most humans wish to avoid. We don’t want someone to see the real us and find us lacking. So it’s easier to define ourselves by titles, roles, and belief systems. Beneath all of that, though, we are each just who we are. The beauty is that that’s enough even though it might be scary.
I hid behind the mask of having a master’s and being a professional, so people wouldn’t know I was the unwanted daughter of a drug addict. I didn’t want to be that, so I set off to live a life as far removed from it as possible. However, the truth is I always wanted to be a writer, and someone gifted me with a story to tell. So, I stopped fighting it, and life is much simpler.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these mask quotes and sayings? What mask have you taken off recently? Share your story in the comment section below.
May 12, 2021 7:00 AM EST