For just the 22 years that she was on Earth, Aaliyah left behind a beautiful legacy that is still cherished by many almost 20 years later.
She had the voice of an angel, a smile that lit up the room, and the ability to captivate the attention of people worldwide.
These Aaliyah quotes will motivate and inspire you, and make you realize just how much her short time on this earth meant to those whose lives she touched.
Aaliyah Dani Haughton, known to the rest of the world simply as Aaliyah, was a beloved American singer, actress, and model who is credited for helping redefine contemporary R&B, pop and hip hop.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Aaliyah is regarded as one of the most successful female R&B artists, having sold over 30 million albums worldwide. She first gained recognition at the age of 10 and signed her first record deal at the age of 12.
On August 25, 2001, Aaliyah was killed in a tragic accident. But though she’s no longer with us, her legacy still lives on. In honor of the late R&B legend, below are some of the most inspirational Aaliyah quotes and lyrics.
Don’t forget to also read our collection of inspirational Dolly Parton quotes for living your best life.
Aaliyah Quotes and Lyrics That Still Inspire Us Today
1. “All I can do is leave it in God’s hands and hope that my fans feel where I’m coming from. – Aaliyah
2. “It’s in how you carry yourself. I’ve always been a very mature person, and I’ve always known what I wanted. And I go after it no matter what.” – Aaliyah
3. “I’m a survivor and I can handle anything. I’m very confident about that.” – Aaliyah
4. “You have to enjoy your job; you should wake up every day and love what you do… I honestly do… From the bottom of my heart to the depths of my soul. I’m truly happy.” – Aaliyah
5. “Keep working hard and you can get anything that you want.” – Aaliyah
6. “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same.” – Aaliyah
7. “I stay true to myself and my style, and I am always pushing myself to be aware of that and be original.” – Aaliyah
8. “My parents just tell me, ‘If you know what you want, you should stay determined and go for it. You can do anything.’” – Aaliyah
9. “I’m the interpreter. I’m the one who takes your words and brings them to life. I was trained to sing and dance and laugh, and that’s what I want to do.” – Aaliyah
10. “Everything is worth it. The hard work, the times when you’re tired, the times where you’re a bit sad… In the end, it’s all worth it because it really makes me happy. There’s nothing better than loving what you do.” – Aaliyah
Don’t forget to also read these Jennifer Lopez quotes that inspire productivity.
Aaliyah quotes and lyrics that prove her legacy still lives on
11. “I don’t think about my previous success. I’m happy that the work I’ve done has been very successful.” – Aaliyah
12. “I want people to remember me as a full on entertainer and a good person.” – Aaliyah
13. “There are times in my life when I just want to be by myself.” – Aaliyah
14. “Whatever will be, will be.” – Aaliyah
15. “You have to love what you do to want to do it everyday.” – Aaliyah
16. “If at first you don’t succeed/You can dust it off and try again/Dust yourself off and try again.” – Aaliyah
17. “I don’t want to abandon one work for the other, and I don’t think I need to sacrifice anything to put my all into either one of them.” – Aaliyah
18. “When a fan comes up to you and says I love your music, there’s nothing better than that.” – Aaliyah
19. “It’s hard to say what I want my legacy to be when I’m long gone.” – Aaliyah
Also read these Whitney Houston quotes and lyrics that will inspire your journey to greatness.
20. “She is tough, she is independent, she is edgy, she gets involved in the action.” – Aaliyah
Aaliyah quotes that will motivate you to reach your dreams
21. “There are certain things I want to keep to me. I don’t discuss my private life.”- Aaliyah
22. “There are times I can’t even figure myself out.”- Aaliyah
23. “It’s fun to be creative and innovative and come up with something crazy. So I need people to work with who are not going to be afraid to take it to the left a bit.”- Aaliyah
24. “If you want to go to the mall, you have to take security. But it’s always cool. The kids are amazing.”- Aaliyah
25. “Sensual is being in tune with your sensual self.”- Aaliyah
26. “You know we’re in a business where things are just unpredictable. You don’t know what’s going to happen…we were lucky Blessed, I think is a better way to put it.”- Aaliyah
27. “People are gonna look up to me because I’m young, black, and female.”- Aaliyah
28. “If I don’t think about it, it won’t drive me crazy.”- Aaliyah
29. “I don’t feel I made any sacrifices at all. I’m doing my best to juggle.”- Aaliyah
30. “In film, you are a totally different person than in the video.”- Aaliyah
Aaliyah quotes that will make your day
31. “It’s Friday and I’m ready to swing. Pick up my girls and hit the party scene.”- Aaliyah
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Friday quotes to help you reflect on an amazing week.
32. “Because I came out as a singer, I took the time to get an acting coach.” – Aaliyah
33. “I know that people think I’m sexy and I am looked at as that. It is cool with me. It’s wonderful to have sexy appeal. If you embrace it, it can be a very beautiful thing.”- Aaliyah
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of sexy quotes articulating your love.
34. “I think it’s important to take a break, you know, from the public eye for a while, and give people a chance to miss you. I want longevity. I don’t want to get out there and run myself ragged and spread myself thin.”- Aaliyah
35. “It was always part of the plan to move into acting.”- Aaliyah
36. “There is a bit of acting involved when you get in front of a camera for a video. Even when you perform onstage, you’re putting on a show.”- Aaliyah
37. “I’ve been singing all my life. I’ve always wanted this. I sang in church, in school plays, and my parents gave me vocal lessons. My parents always said this was destined for me.”- Aaliyah
38. “I began to work the stage and get the audience into it. I also learned how to have fun out there. It is something I will never forget.”- Aaliyah
39. “I’m a total performer.”- Aaliyah
40. “I go through the same problems all young people go through. Being in this business, I accept that there are positives and negatives but having a strong family base and a belief in God enables me to weather the storms.”- Aaliyah
More Aaliyah quotes to inspire you
41. “That’s why I work every day. Ev-er-y day. I want to knock people out.” – Aaliyah
42. “When you get into this business you have to grow up quickly.” – Aaliyah
43. “Of course, the advantage is that, being in this business, you get to learn a lot, experience a lot of new things, and you can become real successful.” – Aaliyah
44. “There is always a bit of pressure to do a good album – to do good work, period.” – Aaliyah
45. “I wanted to be different and original but still have it be something my fans could get into. There also are some big, beautiful ballads. I told my producers that I wanted tracks that are going to blow up in the clubs, but I also wanted songs that were very melodic and with a lot of instrumentation.” – Aaliyah
46. “I really put a lot of pressure on myself, more so than other people.” – Aaliyah
47. “It’s been so long and I’m lost without you, what am I gonna do? I been needin’ you, wantin’ you, wonderin’ if you’re the same and who’s been with you. Is your heart still mine? I wanna cry sometimes … I miss you.” – Aaliyah
48. “I’m involved in some action scenes, so they’ll train me for that. I’ll be working with my acting coach to prepare for my character.” – Aaliyah
49. “Age ain’t nothing but a number; throwing down ain’t nothing but a thang. This loving I have for you it’ll never change.” – Aaliyah
50. “At your best, you are love. You’re a positive motivating force within my life. Should you ever feel the need to wonder why, let me know…” – Aaliyah
Which of these Aaliyah quotes was your favorite?
Aaliyah’s music lives on. Despite her untimely death, her fans still love her talent and feel her passion through her music.
Did you enjoy these Aaliyah quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
November 18, 2019 6:00 AM EST