The beautiful All the Bright Places quotes below bring light to many issues teenagers deal with daily, including mental health, love, and dealing with trauma.
“All the Bright Places” is a young adult novel that follows the lives of Indiana teenagers Theodore and Violet.
Have you read “All the Bright Places”?
Released in 2015, “All the Bright Places” was written by author Jennifer Niven. The two main characters, Theodore and Violet, are struggling to deal with traumatic experiences.
This trauma eventually brings the two together, beginning a compelling, heart-wrenching story.
A film adaptation of the novel was released on Netflix in February 2020, starring Elle Fanning and Justice Smith as Violet and Theodore.
Want to read more about the lives of Theodore and Violent? Check out the All the Bright Places quotes below.
Don’t forget to also read these mental health quotes for happiness and success.
Powerful All the Bright Places quotes
1. “We do not remember days, we remember moments.” ― Jennifer Niven
2. “The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it’s the small things that count.” ― Jennifer Niven
3. “The thing is, they were all perfect days.” – Jennifer Niven
4. “The thing I realize is that it’s not what you take. It’s what you leave.” – Jennifer Niven
5. “Sometimes, there’s beauty in the tough words – it’s all in how you read them.” – Jennifer Niven
6. “I learned that there is good in this world, if you look hard enough for it. I learned that not everyone is disappointing, including me, and that a 1,257-foot bump in the ground can feel higher than a bell tower if you’re standing next to the right person.” – Jennifer Niven
7. “I do my best thinking at night when everyone else is sleeping. No interruptions. No noise. I like the feeling of being awake when no one else is.” – Jennifer Niven
8. “When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don’t seem to matter very much, do they?” – Jennifer Niven
9. “The future is uncertain, but that can be a good thing.” – Jennifer Niven
10. “You need shoving, not pushing. You need to jump back on that camel. Otherwise you’re going to stay up on the ledge you’ve made for yourself.” – Jennifer Niven
11. “Drive anywhere and everywhere, even when there’s nowhere to go. (Note: There’s always somewhere to go.)” – Jennifer Niven
12. “Do whatever it takes to remind myself that I’m still here and have a say.” – Jennifer Niven
13. “Let’s go. Let’s count for something. Let’s get off that ledge.” – Jennifer Niven
14. “If a song’s meant to stay around, you carry it with you in your bones.” – Jennifer Niven
15. “Never bullshit a bullshitter.” – Jennifer Niven
16. “When we’re in the act of wandering, we need to be present, not watching it through a lens.” – Jennifer Niven
17. “We all have a shelf life.” – Jennifer Niven
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of 13 Reasons Why quotes from the hit Netflix show.
All the Bright Places quotes about mental illness
18. “It’s my experience that people are a lot more sympathetic if they can see you hurting, and for the millionth time in my life I wish for measles or smallpox or some other easily understood disease just to make it easier on me and also on them.” – Jennifer Niven
19. “Because it’s not a lie if it’s how you feel.” – Jennifer Niven
20. “I’m not a compilation of symptoms. Not a casualty of shitty parents and an even shittier chemical makeup. Not a problem. Not a diagnosis. Not an illness. Not something to be rescued. I’m a person.” – Jennifer Niven
21. “I should be happy, but instead I feel nothing. I feel a lot of nothing these days. I’ve cried a few times, but mostly I’m empty, as if whatever makes me feel and hurt and laugh and love has been surgically removed, leaving me hollowed out like a shell.” – Jennifer Niven
22. “All I know is what I wonder: Which of my feelings are real? Which of the mess is me? There is only one me I’ve ever really liked, and he was good and awake as long as he could be.” – Jennifer Niven
23. “You don’t know how it is. It’s like I’ve got this angry little person inside me, and I can feel him trying to get out. He’s running out of room because he’s growing bigger and bigger, and so he starts rising up, into my lungs, chest, throat, and I just push him right back down. I don’t want him to come out. I can’t let him out.” – Jennifer Niven
24. “Disguise the pain. Don’t call attention. Don’t be noticed.” – Jennifer Niven
25. “Labels like “bipolar” say this is why you are the way you are. This is who you are. They explain people away as illnesses.” – Jennifer Niven
Also check out these self harm quotes that will help move you to a calm moment.
All the Bright Places quotes about love
26. “You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.” – Jennifer Niven
27. “I can’t love anyone because it’s not fair to anyone who loves me back. I’ll never hurt you. But I can’t promise I won’t pick you apart piece by piece, until you’re in a thousand pieces, just like me. You should know what you’re getting into before getting involved.” – Jennifer Niven
28. “Ultraviolet Remarkey-able I think I love you.” – Jennifer Niven
29. “No more winter at all, Finch. You brought me spring.” – Jennifer Niven
30. “You have been in every way all that anyone could be… If anybody could have saved me, it would have been you.” – Jennifer Niven
31. “You make me lovely, and it’s so lovely to be lovely to the one I love.” – Jennifer Niven
32. “I am broken. I am a fraud. I am impossible to love.” – Jennifer Niven
33. “You make me love you and that could be the greatest thing my heart was ever fit to do.” – Jennifer Niven
34. “I guess you can be yourself, whatever that means-the best and worst of you. And they love you anyway. You can fight, but even when you’re mad at them, you know they’re not going to stop being your friend.” – Jennifer Niven
35. “Even when we weren’t wandering, even from the floor of your closet, you showed the world to me.” – Jennifer Niven
36. “Just be careful with that heart of yours.” – Jennifer Niven
37. “She is oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. The same elements that are inside the rest of us, but I can’t help thinking she’s more than that and she’s got other elements going on that no one’s ever heard of, ones that make her stand apart from everybody else.” – Jennifer Niven
38. “I bring it up to let you know that this is the way I feel right now. Like Pluto and Jupiter are aligned with the earth and I’m floating.” – Jennifer Niven
39. “And in that moment there’s nothing I fear except losing hold of her hand.” – Jennifer Niven
40. “What a terrible feeling to love someone and not be able to help them.” – Jennifer Niven
All the Bright Places quotes about life
41. “The great thing about this life of ours is that you can be someone different to everybody.” ― Jennifer Niven
42. “What if life could be this way? Only the happy parts, none of the terrible, not even the mildly unpleasant. What if we could just cut out the bad and keep the good? This is what I want to do with Violet – give her only the good, keep away the bad, so that good is all we ever have around us.” – Jennifer Niven
43. “Sorry wastes time. You have to live your life like you’ll never be sorry. It’s easier just to do the right things from the start so there’s nothing to apologize for.” – Jennifer Niven
44. “None of us knows how long we have, maybe another month, maybe another fifty years – I like living as if I only have that two days.” – Jennifer Niven
45. “We are all alone, trapped in these bodies and our own minds, and whatever company we have in this life is only fleeting and superficial.” – Jennifer Niven
46. “I know life well enough to know you can’t count on things staying around or standing still, no matter how much you want them to.” – Jennifer Niven
47. “Stars in the sky, stars on the ground. It’s hard to tell where the sky ends and the earth begins. I feel the need to say something grand and poetic, but the only thing I come up with is “It’s lovely.” – Jennifer Niven
48. “If there’s one thing i know, it’s that no one can promise anything.” – Jennifer Niven
49. “You might expect me to say “life,” having just woken up and all, but it’s only when I’m awake that I think about dying.” – Jennifer Niven
50. “Your hope lies in accepting your life as it now lies before you, forever changed. If you can do that, the peace you seek will follow. Forever changed. I am forever changed.” – Jennifer Niven
How is your mental health doing?
Although it is becoming more and more common to discuss mental health, a stigma still lingers.
Books like “All the Bright Places” give teenagers a point of discussion to start from, whether they talk with their peers, teachers, or parents about the subject. If you are currently struggling, there is support available for you.
For example, some great online resources to reference include the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), and the National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI).
Which of these All the Bright Places quotes resonated with you best? Which book should we feature next? Give us your thoughts below!
June 10, 2020 7:24 AM EST