Feeling lost or like self-harm is your only option? Read the self-harm quotes below for some hope and inspiration.
Can you imagine being in so much pain that the only way you can think of to block it out, is to cause yourself pain that you can control? Self-harm lets you decide how deep the cut should be.
You can make the decision to take drugs and risk addiction and death because it is better than living with pain you didn’t choose. If you are feeling lost or like this is your only option please reach out: Text CONNECT to 741741!
These self-harm quotes will try to provide some hope and inspiration if you came here searching for that. We also have a few self-harm quotes that can try and shed some light on what might be going on with a loved one. This can be a frightening time for everyone involved and hopefully, these quotes will provide you with some comfort.
Also, check out these hope quotes celebrating a bright future.
Self-harm quotes about the scars of self-harm
1. “Other times, I look at my scars and see something else: a girl who was trying to cope with something horrible that she should never have had to live through at all. My scars show pain and suffering, but they also show my will to survive. They’re part of my history that’ll always be there.” ― Cheryl Rainfield
2. “Stars are the scars of the universe.” ― Ricky Maye
3. “The scars you can’t see are the ones that hurt the most.”― Michelle Hodkin
4. “A pattern of raised crisscrossed scars, some old and white, others more recent in various shades of pink and red. Exposing the stress of the structure underneath its paint” ― Amy Efaw
5. “But the fucked-up part is once you start self-harming, you can never not be a creepy freak, because your whole body is now a scarred and charred battlefield and nobody likes that on a girl, nobody will love that, and so all of us, everyone, is screwed, inside and out. Wash, rinse, fucking repeat.” ― Kathleen Glasgow
6. “To me, I see scars of courage. Inflicting them gave him the strength to survive the pain that’s plagued him all his life. I’m grateful to every one of them because he’s still here with me.” ― Nicola Haken
7. “Your scars are battle wounds, but you don’t see them that way. Yet.” ― Tammara Webber
Self-harm quotes about cutting
8. “I cut myself because you wouldn’t let me cry. I cried because you wouldn’t let me speak. I spoke because you wouldn’t let me shine. I shone because I thought you loved me…” ― Emilie Autumn
9. “I stopped. She was bleeding after all. Perfect lines crossed her wrists, not near any crucial veins, but enough to leave wet red tracks across her skin. She hadn’t hit her veins when she did this; death hadn’t been her goal.” ― Richelle Mead
10. “You might imagine that a person would resort to self-mutilation only under extremes of duress, but once I’d crossed that line the first time, taken that fateful step off the precipice, then almost any reason was a good enough reason, almost any provocation was provocation enough. Cutting was my all-purpose solution.” ― Caroline Kettlewell
11. “Self-harm – the world will come at you with knives anyway. You do not need to beat them to it.” ― Caitlin Moran
12. “People say things meant to rip you in half but you hold the power to not turn their words into a knife and cut yourself.” ― Rupi Kaur
13. “My hand no longer trembled out of fear, but out of anticipation. I knew I was addicted to the rush it provided, to the release it provided from the emotional mess I had become, but I didn’t care. It wasn’t drugs. It was just a few cuts on my arm.” ― S.M. Koz
14. “That’s when I wanted to cut. I cut to quiet the cacophony. I cut to end this abstracted agony, to reel myself back to one present and physical whole, whose blood was the proof of her tangibility.” ― Caroline Kettlewell
15. “Hush little baby, Don’t you cry, Don’t cut your arms, Don’t say goodbye. Put down that razor, Put down that light, It may be hard but, You’ll win this fight.”― Emily Giffin
16. “… it’s remembering what it’s like to cut and cut hard. The way you have to dig the glass in, deeply, right away, to break the skin and then drag, and drag fiercely, to make a river worth drowning in.” ― Kathleen Glasgow
17. “Night after night I inflict abuse on myself, even drawing blood. It’s strangely calming. I know the pain will stop whenever I want. I was the one who decided when it should start; I will be the one to decide when it stops. However much it hurts, I draw some comfort from the idea that I’m in control.” ― Maude Julien
18. “I am so angry all the time, and so sad, and it screams inside me and never stops. Cutting is the only thing that eases me.” ― Zoë Marriott
Self-harm quotes about pain
19. “When you have a persistent sense of heartbreak and gut-wrench, the physical sensations become intolerable and we will do anything to make those feelings disappear. And that is really the origin of what happens in human pathology. People take drugs to make it disappear, and they cut themselves to make it disappear, and they starve themselves to make it disappear, and they have sex with anyone who comes along to make it disappear and once you have these horrible sensations in your body, you’ll do anything to make it go away.” ― Bessel A. van der Kolk
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of drug quotes on how drug use can affect your mind, body, and spirit.
20. “I can feel the hurt. There’s something good about it. Mostly it makes me stop remembering.” ― Albert Borris
21. “…when I look at my arms, I don’t think revolutionary. I think sad, and pain, but not revolutionary.” ― Kathleen Glasgow
22. “She felt so much emotionally, she would say, that a physical outlet – physical pain – was the only way to make her internal pain go away. It was the only way she could control it.” ― Richelle Mead
23. “I no longer have any fear of pain because I’m the one inflicting it and can decide when it stops.” ― Maude Julien
24. “Self-mutilation is a very different issue to suicide. It is a controlled pain personal to you, allowing you to live/exist to some degree.” ― Richy Edwards
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of suicide quotes that can bring you insight and comfort during difficult times.
25. “Unspeakable feelings need to find expression in words. However… verbalization of very intense feelings may be a difficult task.” ― James A. Chu
26. “This pain is comfort. It is the solace of physicality, like a touch.” ― Johnny Rich
27. “If you want to help people, ask why they are in so much pain that they are driven (there’s that word again) to escape from it through ultimately self-harming habits or substances.” ― Timothy Ferriss
28. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” ― J.K. Rowling
29. “I moved in front of the medicine cabinet. If I looked in the mirror while I did it, it would be like watching somebody else, in a book or a play.” ― Sylvia Plath
30. “Rehashing thoughts of painful events from the past or imagining negative events of the future is self-abuse and can be more destructive than physical harm.” ― Maddy Malhotra
Self-harm quotes to remind you there is hope
31. “In all of your living, don’t forget to live.” ― Ricky Maye
32. “Throughout it all, you are still, always, you: beautiful and bruised, known and unknowable.” ― Leila Sales
33. “The past does not define me, it ignites me. The past is not a piece of me, it has placed me” ― Ricky Maye
34. “Don’t ever forget you are beautiful, although your life, your past and your present situation may be ugly. You are beautiful.” ― Ricky Maye
35. “This might surprise you, but one of the best ways to manage your emotions is simply to experience that emotion and let it run its course.” ― Kim L. Gratz
36. “Never feel this bad again. Never come back to this place, where only a knife will do. Live a gentle and kind life. Don’t do things that make you want to hurt yourself. Whatever you do, every day, remember this – then steer away from here.” ― Caitlin Moran
37. “Stop looking back when your future is ahead of you”― Ricky Maye
38. “Take control of your emotions before your emotions take control of you.” ― Scott Dye
39. “I found out to wait it out that it gets better. I wrote music instead of going to the blade.” ― Vic Fuentes
40. “When you feel at sea in an abyss of emotions, reconnecting to the beauty of your soul can be difficult, but it is never impossible.” ― Lorraine Nilon
Self-harm quotes to help you understand
41. “And wishes, truly wishes, that she could say the same herself. Because hurting herself would be so much easier.” ― Amy Efaw
42. “I can’t stop.” ― Shane Koyczan
43. “What possesses them, these young girls with a talent for self-immolation?” ― Margaret Atwood
44. “We both knew what it was to hurt our bodies. It’s a strange reason to bond with someone, but I think we both needed to feel understood, and, even though we couldn’t love ourselves, we could love each other.” ― Melissa C. Water
45. “I was thinking about stabbing myself in the face—not actually considering stabbing myself in the face, but thinking that it would be a physical expression of how I felt.” ― Catherine Lacey
46. “Having a strong urge is like having a child throw a temper tantrum inside you, screaming “Hurt yourself!” But if you repeatedly ignore the urge’s request and don’t harm yourself, your brain will learn that urges don’t work, just as a child learns that throwing a tantrum won’t work.” ― Kim L. Gratz
47. “It’s important to keep in mind that most people have no idea how to respond effectively to someone who self-harms.” ― Kim L. Gratz
48. “When clients self-harm, for example, these days, we understand their actions to be instinctive, rather than thought out—an effort to regulate or relieve, rather than punish.” ― Janina Fisher
49. “Self-injury is a sign of distress, not madness.” ― Corey Anderson
50. “You don’t feel like you’re hurting yourself when you’re cutting. You feel like this is the only way to take care of yourself.” ― Marilee Strong
Which of these self harm quotes resonated with you best?
Sometimes just surviving the day can be a challenge, and if it took every ounce of courage you had to do that today, then I am proud of you. Please know that there is help out there and that hotline is a good place to start (Text CONNECT to 741741). Their job is to “help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.”
There is also no shame in going to therapy. Therapists, while not only helpful to talk through, can offer other ways to help get through the pain. You are loved and important to this world, and I hope that you can find a way to heal. Katherine Schreiber MFA, LMSW, suggests several things, including listening to music, cleaning your room, and writing about your feelings.
Is there something that works for you that you would like to share with others? Do you have any other self-harm quotes and sayings to add? Please leave your suggestions in the comment section below!
June 15, 2020 7:33 AM EST