Check out these Christian Hypocrisy quotes to see the importance of making sure your actions match your beliefs.
A Christian is a person who believes in Jesus Christ and wants to be a positive light in the world that draws others to get to know Jesus as well.
You might also like these related articles:
Unfortunately, all people are imperfect, and although we may not mean to, we can come across negatively to others.
When people see Christians doing the same things they are telling others not to do, it weakens their impact on the world.
These tips can help you ensure you’re not coming across as a hypocrite to others.
- Becoming Self Aware
- Taking the time to understand and listen to others before spewing facts or information on them
- Showing you care more about the person than you do about proving you are right
Take a look at these Christian Hypocrisy quotes to see how we can all be a better example to others.
Christian Hypocrisy Quotes
Look at these quotes that show just how destructive hypocrisy can be.
1. “A divided heart loses both worlds.” — A.B. Simpson
2. “Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst.” — C.S. Lewis
3. “He that flings dirt at another dirtieth himself most.” — Thomas Fuller
4. “Nothing is sadder than profession without possession.” — Harry Ironside
5. “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” — Luke 6:46
6. “We can’t give our all to Jesus and keep some for ourselves.” — Woodrow Kroll
7. “He rightly reads scripture who turns words into deeds.” — Bernard of Clairvaux
8. “With their doctrine they build, and with their lives they destroy.” — Augustine
9. “He does not believe who does not live according to his belief.” — Thomas Fuller
10. “Knowledge is vain and fruitless which is not reduced to practice.” — Matthew Henry
Christian Hypocrisy Quotes About The Challenge of Living Up to Your Standards
It is not easy to live up to your set standards, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try.
11. “Many blush to confess their faults, who never blush to commit them.” — William Secker
12. “It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.” — Alfred Adler
13. “Truth without obedience is hypocrisy; obedience without truth is legalism.” — Jack Wellman
14. “How seldom we weigh our neighbor in the same balance with ourselves.” — Thomas a Kempis
15. “I believe there are too many practitioners in the church who are not believers.” — C.S. Lewis
16. “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what is says.” — James 1:22
17. “The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.” — Socrates
18. “Beware of no man more than of yourself; we carry our worst enemies within us.” — Charles Spurgeon
19. “Gladly we desire to make other men perfect, but we will not amend our own fault.” — Thomas a Kempis
20. “It is a terribly easy matter to be a minister of the gospel and a vile hypocrite at the same time.” — Charles Spurgeon
Bible Verses about Christian Hypocrisy Quotes
Here are some Bible verses that talk about being a hypocrite.
21. “If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves.” — Galatians 6:3
22. “Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.” — 1 Peter 2:16
23. “They claim to know God, but by their actions, they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.” — Titus 1:16
24. “So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?” — Romans 2:3
25. “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.’” — Matthew 15:8-9
26. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” — Matthew 7:21
27. “He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:” These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.” — Mark 7:6
28. “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to how others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.” — Matthew 6:16
29. “Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.” — 1 John 4:20
30. “Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and, for a show, make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.” — Luke 20: 46-47
Christian Hypocrisy Quotes About the Danger of Being a Hypocrite
Guard yourself from being a hypocrite or from being judgmental and assuming others are hypocrites.
31. “Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite.” — Charles Spurgeon
32. “Hypocrisy can afford to be magnificent in its promises, for never intending to go beyond promise, it costs nothing.” — Edmund Burke
33. “How many prodigals are kept out of the Kingdom of God by the unlovely character of those who profess to be inside!” — Henry Drummond
34. “Hypocrisy can plunge the mind of a man into a dark abyss when he believes his own self-flattery instead of God’s verdict.” — John Calvin
35. “Thou must be an attentive hearer; he that is awake, but wanders with his eye or heart, what doth he but sleep with his eyes open?” — William Gurnall
36. “The hypocrite, certainly, is a secret atheist; for if he did believe there was a God, he durst not be so bold as to deceive Him to His face.” — Thomas Adams
37. “This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.” — C.S. Lewis
38. “More than once, Jesus deliberately addressed certain issues that quickly diminished the number of onlookers. It was commitment that thinned the ranks.” — Chuck Swindoll
39. “The human heart has so many crannies where vanity hides, so many holes where falsehood lurks, is so decked out with deceiving hypocrisy, that it often dupes itself.” — John Calvin
40. “No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the truth.” — Nathaniel Hawthorne
Christian Hypocrisy Quotes About Not Thinking You Are Above Others
You may be living a great life, but don’t fall into the danger of thinking you are above others.
41. “The ability to find fault is believed, by some people, to be a sure sign of great wisdom, when, in most cases, it only indicates narrowness of mind and ill nature.” — James H. Aughey
42. “It is of no use for any of you to try to be soul-winners if you are not bearing fruit in your own lives. How can you serve the Lord with your lips if you do not serve Him with your lives?” — Charles Spurgeon
43. “The hypocrite’s joy destroys his sorrow; his faith and false confidence destroys and excludes his repentance; his fear destroys his love; and his pretended love to God destroys his fear of him.” — Ralph Erskine
44. “He is already half false who speculates on truth and does not do it. The penalty paid by him who speculates on truth without doing it, is, that by degrees the very truth he holds becomes a falsehood.” — Frederick W. Robertson
45. “The sneer at the godly man for his imperfections is ill-judged. A blade is a small thing. At first, it grows very near the earth. It is often soiled and crushed, and downtrodden. But it is a living thing… and “it doth not yet appear what it shall be.” — Henry Drummond
46. “Do not burn false fire upon God’s altar; do not pose and pretend, either to Him or to yourself, in your religious exercises; do not say more than you mean, or use exaggerated language that goes beyond the facts, when speaking to Him whose word is truth.” — Jeremy Taylor
47. “If I belittle those whom I am called to serve, talk of their weak points in contrast perhaps with what I think of as my strong points; if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting “Who made thee to differ? And what hast thou that thou hast not received?” then I know nothing of Calvary love.” — Amy Carmichael
48. “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside, you appear to people as righteous, but on the inside, you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.” — Matthew 23:27-28
49. “When are Christian folks going to remember that every time you call yourself a Christian, you invoke the name of God, and that if you then walk a walk that does not reflect the presence of Christ in your life, cast a vote that does not reflect the presence of Christ in your life, then you are taking the name of the Lord your God in vain?” — Alan Keyes
50. “But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.” — 2 Timothy 3:1-5
What Forms of Hypocrisy Are Christians Known For The Most?
Most Christians are good people who want to love others, but we all fall short, and here are some of the most common areas we fall short in:
- Coming across as judgemental instead of as loving
- Easily angered – others expect you to show the love of Jesus
- Coming across as arrogant instead of caring and encouraging
Share these Christian Hypocrisy quotes with your Christian friends so that we can be a better light to the world, and post any comments in the comment section below.