Create new dialogues with these awesome conversation quotes.
Having conversations is vital for our health. Even small talk is good for us.
A University of Michigan study found that small talk is good for the brain.
Did you know that small talk makes us better problem solvers?
Conversing in small talk strengthens the same part of the brain that puzzle-solving improves.
So feel free to chat about the weather, traffic, or the quality of your coffee at work; it is good for you!
Even the most introverted people require someone to speak with daily.
Honesty is essential for authentic conversation.
American psychologist Carol Gilligan agrees, noting, “I’ve found that if I say what I’m really thinking and feeling, people are more likely to say what they really think and feel. The conversation becomes a real conversation.”
There are numerous benefits to a healthy conversation.
Check out our conversation quotes below and find out more.
Short Conversation Quotes
1. Silence is also conversation.” – Ramana Maharshi
2. “Polite conversation is rarely either.” – Fran Lebowitz
3. “Confidence contributes more to conversation than wit.” – Francois de La Rochefoucauld
You will also enjoy our article on communication quotes.
4. “Conversation like television set on honeymoon… unnecessary.” – Peter Sellers
5. I learned that a long walk and calm conversation are an incredible combination if you want to build a bridge.” – Seth Godin
6. “I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
7. “I can wear a hat or take it off, but either way, it’s a conversation piece.” – Hedda Hopper
8. “If you are ever at a loss to support a flagging conversation, introduce the subject of eating.” – Leigh Hunt
9. “There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees.” – Michel de Montaigne
10. “Almost every time we get together with family or friends, the conversation ends up being about food.” – Steve Chen
Conversation Quotes About Women
11. “Debate is masculine, conversation is feminine.” – Amos Bronson Alcott
12. “That’s why you can think you’re having a perfectly amiable chat, then suddenly find yourself wounded by the shrapnel from an exploded conversation.” – Deborah Tannen
13. “After about 20 years of marriage, I’m finally starting to scratch the surface of what women want. And I think the answer lies somewhere between conversation and chocolate.” – Mel Gibson
14. “My ideal woman would be someone with both beauty and intelligence. Someone who can hold her own in a conversation gets along with my family, and respects elders.” – Karan Patel
15. “Pretty Lady is the conversation piece where you just need to compliment your lady.” – Raheem DeVaughn
16. “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” – Sheryl Sandberg
17. “Beauty has always been an element of discussion for black women, whether or not we were the ones having the conversation.” – Mickalene Thomas
18. “For girls and women, talk is the glue that holds a relationship together – and the explosive that can blow it apart.” Deborah Tannen
19. “Women have simple tastes. They get pleasure out of the conversation of children in arms and men in love.” – H. L. Mencken
20. “We’re trying to create one holistic beauty experience where you can be inspired by other women, both the people we’re interviewing and the community contributing to the conversation.”- Emily Weiss
One Conversation Quotes
21. “Too often travel, instead of broadening the mind, merely lengthens the conversation.” – Elizabeth Drew
22. “The great gift of conversation lies less in displaying it ourselves than in drawing it out of others.” – Jean de la Bruyere
23. “A real conversation always contains an invitation. You are inviting another person to reveal herself or himself to you, to tell you who they are or what they want.” – David Whyte
24. “I think history repeats itself. There’s a constant conversation between the oppressed and the oppressor.” – Michael B. Jordan
25. “But on the outside world, if I don’t know you and you don’t know me, I probably cannot sit there and have a conversation.” – Emily Rios
26. “The difficulty with this conversation is that it’s very different from most of the ones I’ve had of late.” – Douglas Adams
27. “As far as playing jazz, no other art form, other than conversation, can give the satisfaction of spontaneous interaction.” – Stan Getz
28. “Different people, in good faith, can look at the same fact and interpret it differently. But that’s where an interesting conversation begins.” – Eric Schlosser
29. “Sex is a conversation carried out by other means. If you get on well out of bed, half the problems of bed are solved.” – Peter Ustinov
30. “I consider myself a religious person. God is something very personal with me, and I don’t flaunt religion in conversation with others.” – Richard Chamberlain
Funny Conversation Quotes
31. “It’s hilarious a lot of times. You have a conversation with someone, and he’s like, ‘You speak so well!’ I’m like, ‘What do you mean? Do you understand that’s an insult?” – Jay-Z
32. “In England, only uneducated people show off their knowledge; nobody quotes Latin or Greek authors in the course of conversation unless he has never read them.” – George Mikes
33. “Two people in a conversation amount to four people talking. The four are what one person says, what he really wanted to say, what his listener heard, and what he thought he heard.” – William Jennings Bryan
34. “Music is like a conversation. One person says one thing that speaks with a harmonica, with a bass, with a drum.” – Stephen Marley
35. “They’re all conversating, and we’re just trying to find a way to make conversation rather than blah, blah, blah. But it’s not really so hard a thing to do if you know the way to approach it.” – Stephen Marley
36. “You know how sports teach kids teamwork and how to be strong and brave and confident? Improv was my sport. I learned how to not waffle and how to hold a conversation, how to take risks and actually be excited to fail.” – Emma Stone
37. “The very fact that we are having a national conversation about what we should eat, that we are struggling with the question about what the best diet is is symptomatic of how far we have strayed from the natural conditions that gave rise to our species, from the simple act of eating real, whole, fresh food.” – Mark Hyman
38. “But it’s just about letting yourself feel all those things that you have already on the inside of you, but you’re all the time trying to push them aside because they don’t make for polite conversation or something.” – Janis Joplin
39. “My favorite thing about making movies is that it’s the only area of human life that I’ve ever discovered where I can walk away from somebody in the middle of a conversation with somebody, and they won’t be offended.” – Alan Arkin
40. “I’ve found that if I say what I’m really thinking and feeling, people are more likely to say what they really think and feel. The conversation becomes a real conversation.” – Carol Gilligan
You Might Also Like: 20 Meaningful Ways to Ask How Was Your Day
Quotes About Conversations With Friends
41. “I don’t mind having an uncomfortable conversation if those uncomfortable conversations can lead to a bigger dialogue and help us get to a better understanding of whatever it is we are discussing.” – Charlamagne tha God.
42. To get real diversity of thought, you need to find the people who genuinely hold different views and invite them into the conversation.” – Adam Grant
43. “A good quartet is like a good conversation among friends interacting to each other’s ideas. Stan Getz
44. “Good listeners have a huge advantage. For one, when they engage in conversation, they make people ‘feel’ heard. They ‘feel’ that someone really understands their wants, needs, and desires. And for good reason; a good listener does care to understand.” – Simon Sinek
45. “A human body is a conversation going on, both within the cells and between the cells, and they’re telling each other to grow and to die; when you’re sick, something’s gone wrong with that conversation.” – W. Daniel Hillis
46. “I get readings. I sometimes get five a week. You’ll feel like a schizophrenic by the end of that week. I don’t know who I am anymore. You’ll be in conversation with a friend and start spitting out dialogue.” – Josh Holloway
47. “I want to make sure that people understand that, behind this national conversation around transgender rights, there are real people who hurt when they’re mocked, who hurt when they’re discriminated against, and who just want to be treated with dignity and respect.” – Sarah McBride
48. “You know what? It’s a great conversation starter, right? You meet friends that way. Sometimes it’s a good thing. And then other times, I guess, the person is just a little too. Then you kind of like want to back away. It depends on the person, you know?” – Alison Lohman
49. “You used to be able to just call people. You didn’t have to be on someone’s calendar to have a phone conversation. The telephone was an important and valuable domain of communication, both for casual, friendly chats and for professional exchanges of ideas and information. But no more.” – Dan Pallotta
50. “I’ve noticed lately that it seems most intimate to not use any closing on your e-mail at all because it seems to make it feel like you are engaged in an ongoing conversation – as if this one e-mail doesn’t represent the beginning and end of the interaction but is just part of a perpetual loop of friendly back-and-forth.” – Susan Orlean
What did you learn from these conversation quotes?
Good conversation is the glue that keeps human beings connected.
No person is infallible. However, not all conversations require others.
Hindu sage Ramana Maharshi of India reminds us, “Silence is also conversation.”
An old saying says, “No person is an island,” meaning we can’t do everything alone.
Information shared in conversations can change how we see things.
Subjection to alternate opinions and knowledge allows for a deeper understanding of topics and issues we may take for granted.
Additionally, conversations offer us social support.
Just as having others disagree with us can offer us insight, it also feels nice to have ideas validated by others.
Exposure to the conversation of our friends, colleagues, and family members puts things into perspective for us and helps us grow.
It helps us develop the skills we need to be resilient in the face of the unknown.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these conversation quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.