This collection of communication quotes collection will help you develop stronger and healthier relationships.
Obviously, trust, understanding, and empathy are vital to the success of any relationship, but there is often something that goes underrated that never should.
We’re talking about communication.
In order for any relationship to stand the test of time, solid lines of communication must be established in order for both parties to feel fully understood and have a safe place to voice their true feelings.
Strong communication is important in relationships.
For you to have a healthy relationship, you need to talk openly and be a good listener.
Although every relationship faces challenges at some point, a healthy communication style can make it easier to handle conflict and strengthen the partnership.
Most relationships fail because of poor communication.
To avoid misunderstandings that may cause hurt, anger, resentment, or confusion, you need to communicate clearly.
You need to know how and when to communicate your concerns to your partner.
You cannot read other people’s minds.
Besides, everyone has different communication needs and styles.
You should, therefore, find a way of communicating that suits your relationships.
Connect and use your verbal, written, and physical skills to understand your partner and fulfill their needs.
To help strengthen your relationships below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thoughtful communication quotes, communication sayings, and communication proverbs.
For additional reading, learn more about color code communication.
Communication quotes and sayings to strengthen relationships
1. “The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t said.” – Peter Drucker
2. “Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow.” ― Lawrence Clark Powell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of relationship quotes celebrating real love.
3. “When people talk listen completely. Most people never listen.”- Ernest Hemingway
4. “Emotional awareness is necessary so you can properly convey your thoughts and feelings to the other person.” – Jason Goldberg
5. “Communication works for those who work at it.” – John Powell
6. “Open communication is the lifeblood that keeps a marriage in the spring and summer seasons- times of optimism and enjoyment.” – Gary Chapman
7. “I think for any relationship to be successful, there needs to be loving communication, appreciation, and understanding.” – Miranda Kerr
8. “Communicate unto the other person that which you would want him to communicate unto you if your positions were reversed.” – Aaron Goldman
9. “It’s important to make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.” ― Barack Obama
10. “Families who have strong and healthy communication skills can weather significant challenges and remain intact. Those with limited effective communication skills are vulnerable to the challenges of life pulling them apart.” – Ellen Miley Perry
Communication quotes to inspire happier and healthier relationships
11. “Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.” – Rollo May
12. “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” – Plato
13. “Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
14. “Communication sometimes is not what you first hear, listen not just to the words, but listen for the reason.” – Catherine Pulsifer
15. “If you can talk about it, why paint it?” – Francis Bacon
16. “Communication is your ticket to success, if you pay attention and learn to do it effectively.” – Theo Gold
17. “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.” ― Charlie Kaufman
18. “Communication involves self-revelation on the part of one individual and listening on the part of another.”- Dr. Gary Chapman
19. “To love someone with all of your heart requires reaching them where they are with the only words they can understand.” ― Shannon L. Alder
20. “We, as human beings, learn through sharing and communicating.” –Hugo Reynolds
Also, check out these listening quotes and sayings that will inspire you to improve your communication skills.
Communication quotes to inspire and teach
21. “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw
22. “To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.” – Tony Robbins
23. “Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated.” ― Marquis de Sade
24. “We take communication for granted because we do it so frequently, but it’s actually a complex process.” – Joseph Sommerville
25. “We never listen when we are eager to speak. – Francois de la Rochefoucauld
26. “The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.” ― Peggy O’Mara
27. “Ask most therapists, and they will tell you that good communication is at the heart of any successful relationship.” – Sophie Winters
28. “Every act of communication is a miracle of translation.” ― Ken Liu
29. “Speech is our primary means of communication. If it’s important, we tell people about it.” – Brian Knapp
30. “Honest, open communication is the only street that leads us into the real world… We then begin to grow as never before. And once we are on this road, happiness cannot be far away.” ― John Joseph Powel
Communication quotes to help bring transparency
31. “Not the fastest horse can catch a word spoken in anger.” – Chinese Proverb
32. “Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.” – Jim Rohn
33. “When the trust account is high, communication is easy, instant, and effective.” – Stephen R. Covey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of trust issues quotes that will help you understand the meaning of trust.
34. “The art of communication is the language of leadership.” – James Humes
35. “Self-consciousness kills communication.” ― Rick Steves
36. “But good healthy communication is impossible without openness, honesty, and vulnerability.” – Paul Kendall
37. “We are stronger when we listen, and smarter when we share.” ― Rania Al-Abdullah
38. “Effective communication helps to keep the team working on the right projects with the right attitude.” – Alex Langer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of team quotes that will inspire you and your teammates to collectively meet your goals.
39. “No one can tell, when two people walk closely together, what unconscious communication one mind may have with another” ― Robert Barr
40. “The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say — because they were too obvious.” ― André Gide
Powerful communication quotes
41. “Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success.” – Paul J. Meyer
42. “Communication is one of the most important skills you require for a successful life.” – Catherine Pulsifer
43. “Make sure to communicate your idea quickly and keep it straight to the point.” – Paul Bailey
44. “Say a little and say it well.” – Irish Proverb
45. “If you have nothing to say, say nothing.” – Mark Twain
46. “Talking more than is necessary is a barrier to effective communication and effective listening.” – Clodagh Swanson
47. “You can communicate best when you first listen.” – Catherine Pulsifer
48. “You must be able to communicate successfully in order to become a leader and someone others listen to.” – Keith Boyer
49. “Conversation is king. Content is just something to talk about.” ― Cory Doctorow
50. “Your words will either give you joy or give you sorrow, but if they were spoken without regret, they give you peace.” ― Shannon Alder
Other inspirational communication quotes and sayings
51. “Effective Communication is a way to success”― Jaspal Singh Malik
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of short quotes that can make a big difference in your life.
52. “The quality of your communication determines the size of your result.”― Meir Ezra
53. “If people had the right skills and intention to communicate well, there would be no conflict. The better we are at communicating, the better our lives will be.”― Yama Mubtaker
54. “Words travel as swiftly as desire, so it is possible to send a message of love without them.”― Laura Esquivel
55. “Don’t assume that prior communication has been effective and that people get it.”― Benjamin Komlos
56. “If there is a communication issue, it is not the fault of the other person but of both people.”― Jeffrey G. Duarte
57. “The fact that I’m using words doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m saying anything.”― Craig D. Lounsbrough
58. “Communication is humanity’s greatest blessing, although efforts to establish it can feel like humanity’s greatest curse.”― Cole Todd
59. “Opening up a conversation can be opening up a world of new possibilities.”― Michelle Lederman
60. “There is no communication that is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood.”― Luigina Sgarro
61. “If we wish to achieve better communication, we should feel free to make changes in the ways we communicate.”― Dr Prem Jagyasi
62. “Sometimes it isn’t what a person says, but rather what they don’t say, that tells you more than their words ever could.”― Laurie Buchanan, PhD
63. “Your body language can divulge your disinterest or, conversely, it can affirm your attentiveness and confidence.”― Michelle Tillis Lederman
64. “When you stop communicating, you become poor.”― Meir Ezra
65. “Communication is the first pillar of love.”― Alan Maicon
You might also like these hug quotes for when you need one.
More communication quotes and sayings
66. “Assumptions are the termites of relationships.” – Henry Winkler
67. “A beautiful thing happens when we start paying attention to each other. It is by participating more in your relationship that you breathe life into it.” – Steve Maraboli
68. “Nothing said in words ever came out quite even. Things in words got twisted and ran together, instead of staying straight and fitting together.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
69. “We all struggle with our failure to communicate and our failure to reach beyond fear to love people.” – Mira Sorvino
70. “Words are the voice of the heart.” – Confucius
71. “It doesn’t matter if people don’t know that you do a good thing nor the right thing. But he nor she must know your expression of love.” – Olivia Sinaga
72. “Lack of communication will destroy a relationship.” – Sayam Asjad
73. “People don’t have anything but the communication with the things.” – Meir Ezra
74. “Once you communicate, you don’t discover reality, you create reality.” – Meir Ezra
75. “Let’s forget about the things you haven’t done, and talk about what you have done.” – Michelle Lederman
76. “When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong.” — Oscar Wilde
77. “Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people.” —William Butler Yeats
78. “How often misused words generate misleading thoughts.” ― Herbert Spencer
79. “The great enemy of communication, we find, is the illusion of it. “ ― William H. Whyte
80. “It is not the voice that commands the story; it is the ear.” ― Italo Calvino
Effective communication quotes
81. “Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
82. “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.” – Albert Einstein
83. “The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said.” – Peter Drucker
84. “The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.” – Mark Twain
85. “We speak not only to tell other people what we think, but to tell ourselves what we think. Speech is a part of thought.” – Oliver Sacks
86. “I motivate players through communication, being honest with them, having them respect and appreciate your ability and your help.” – Tommy Lasorda
87. “Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
88. “The more we learn about effective communication, the better we’ll be at leading, as our directives will be better understood.” – Paul Jarvis
89. “You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life.” – Zig Ziglar
90. “Communication is a skill that you can learn. It’s like riding a bicycle or typing. If you’re willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life.” – Brian Tracy
Wise communication quotes and sayings
91. “ Silence is golden when it’s called for. Silence can be deadly
when it’s not called for ” –Meryl Runion
92. “Everything and anything we communicate to others, communicates to them, how to see us and treat us.” –Miya Yamanouchi
93. “In order to understand what another person is saying, you must assume that it is true, and try to imagine what it is true of.” –George Miller
94. “Flexibility and the ability to interpret other people’s needs is what characterizes a good communicator.” –Thomas Erikson
95. “The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives.” –Tony Robbins
96. “When we don’t tell those we love what’s really going on or listen carefully to what they have to say, we tend to fill in the blanks with stories.” –Sharon Salzberg
97. “My belief is that communication is the best way to create strong relationships.” –Jada Pinkett Smith
98. “A lack of communication leaves fear and doubt.” –Kellan Lutz
99. “Any problem, big or small, within a family, always seems to start with bad communication. Someone isn’t listening.” –Emma Thompson
100. “Simple and to the point is always the best way to get your point across.” -Guy Kawasaki
Meaningful Communication Quotes to Build Relationship
101. “You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won’t mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever…. connections are made with the heart, not the tongue.” – C. JoyBell C.
102. “Alone, we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
103. “In teamwork, silence isn’t golden, it’s deadly.” – Mark Sanborn
104. “The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t being said. The art of reading between the lines is a life long quest of the wise.” – Shannon L. Alder
105. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” – Henry Ford
106. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
107. “Communication is the solvent of all problems and is the foundation for personal development.” – Peter Shepherd
108. “A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something.” – Wilson Mizner
109. “Communicate in a respectful manner – don’t just tell your team members what you want, but explain to them why.” – Jeffrey Morales
110. “Who you are is speaking so loudly that I can’t hear what you’re saying.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Communication Quotes And Sayings To Help You Be A Communicator
111. “There is only one rule for being a good talker – learn to listen.” ― ”Christopher Morley
112. “A lot of problems in the world would be solved if we talked to each other instead of about each other.” ― Nickey Gumbel
113. “To have good communications skills means you are able to make your point without a lot of fillers and stumbling.” ― Gregory Davidson
114. “Get to the point quickly to prove that what you’re saying is worth reading or listening to, otherwise people will lose interest.” ― Corrina Thurston
115. “Verbal communication is essential in order to understand what is going on inside other people. If they do not tell us their thoughts, their feelings, and their experiences, we are left to guess.” ― Dr. Gary Chapman
116. “Eye contact is one of the primal ways of communicating.” ― Clive Harman
117. “I began noting where the audience laughed or clapped or paid closest attention. I came to realize that a good speech is not a soliloquy but a dialogue.” ― Sarah Ferguson
118. “Another vitally important attribute along the road to wisdom in interpersonal success is to listen well. This means that you pay total attention to those that are speaking to you and not barging into the conversation because you want to insert your opinion.” ― Catherine Pulsife
119. “Don’t give up at the first signs of friction: only through clear communication, flexibility and willingness to adapt can you find a relationship that will weather the storms of life.” ― Tom Miles
120. “Use different messaging for different groups to ensure your communications are relevant.” ― Andrea Plos
Did you enjoy these communication quotes and sayings?
Communication is a vital part of all relationships.
For there to be a stronger and healthier relationship, you need to have good communication among the parties involved.
Lack of communication can lead to insecurities, faithlessness, misunderstandings, mistrust or doubt.
Hopefully, the above quotes will improve your communication style, help build trust, and make your relationships happier and healthier.
Which of the above communication quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
July 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST