This single-mom quotes collection will help you face the day with that awesome smile and determination that you have.
Being a mother is no easy task, so imagine how hard it is to do it all alone.
A study conducted by the Pew Research Center found that the number of households headed by single mothers has risen significantly in recent years.
The research suggests that being a single mother is a common experience for many women.
Single parenthood is one of the toughest jobs in the entire world.
Tell us which of these single mom quotes resonated most with you in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these single mom quotes?
It’s not a job for the fainthearted. It requires a lot of confidence and determination.
Single mothers juggle two roles – the role of the father and that of the mother – at the same time.
For single mothers who just found themselves in that role, nothing prepares them, but they do it anyway.
Single moms do everything from cleaning the house and helping the kids with homework to paying bills and entertaining the baby.
This makes single moms superheroes.
And it’s for such reasons that we need to celebrate them.
Even though single mothers might worry about whether they can do it all, they still wake up and do what they need to do.
These single mom quotes will:
- help you find the words to tell your mom you appreciate her
- give you a new perspective on how the single mothers in your life feel
- remind you that you are not alone if you are also a single parent
If you’re a single mom and find yourself on one of those days when you do not know if you will make it, below is our collection of uplifting and inspirational single mom quotes and single mom sayings to remind you that you’re strong and capable.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Single Mom Quotes On Providing Strength and Love
According to a study from the University of California, Berkeley, single mothers who engage in meaningful work and feel a sense of purpose in their lives experience greater life satisfaction.
The research suggests that finding purpose and meaning can help single mothers overcome challenges and achieve their goals.
1. “Being raised by a single mother, I learned to appreciate and value independent women.” – Kenny Conley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our collection of international Women’s Day quotes celebrating womanhood.
2. “I was a single mom that raised two bright, beautiful, and compassionate girls.” – Connie Stevens
You will also enjoy our article on being single quotes.
3. “Only mothers can think of the future because they give birth to it in their children.”- Maxim Gorky
You will also enjoy our article on baby smile quotes.
4. “Being a working mother and a working single parent instills in you a sense of determination.” – Felicity Jones
You will also enjoy our article on break up quotes.
5. “Just because I am a single mother doesn’t mean I cannot be a success” – Yvonne Kaloki
6. “I can’t tell you how much I respect all the single parents out there doing it solo” – Jennie Finch
7. “It’s not single parenthood in and of itself. It’s more about how people parent.” – Sophie Zadeh
8. ”Being a single parent is not a life full of struggles, but a journey for the strong.” – Meg Lowrey
9. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
10. “In the end, I am the only one who can give my children a happy mother who loves life.” – Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard
Single mom quotes to remind of their strength and capabilities
According to research from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, single mothers who engage in positive parenting practices, such as being warm and responsive, have children who experience greater well-being and positive outcomes.
The study suggests that positive parenting practices can have a powerful impact on the well-being of both single mothers and their children.
11. “I didn’t plan on being a single mom, but you have to deal with the cards you are dealt the best way you can.” – Tichina Arnold
12. “What is free time? I’m a single mother. My free moments are filled with loving my little girl.” – Roma Downey
13. “Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.” – Garrison Keillor
You will also enjoy our article on baby girl quotes.
14. “If you bungle raising your children, I don’t think whatever else you do matters very much.” – Jackie Kennedy
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of children quotes that will fill your heart with love and laughter.
15. “As a single mum you’ll discover inner strengths and capabilities you never knew you had.” – Emma-Louise Smith
You will also enjoy our article on home alone quotes.
16. ”Breath darling, this is just a chapter. It’s not your whole story.” – S.C Lourie, Empowered Single Moms
You will also enjoy our article on independent woman.
17. “The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.” – Rajneesh
18. “I think it’s really important for every mother to find their own way.” — Solange Knowles
19. “Career is important, but nothing really supersedes my role as a mother.” — Halle Berry
20. “Being a mother is hard and it wasn’t a subject I ever studied.” – Ruby Wax
Also read these insightful postpartum depression quotes.
Single mom quotes to show love, support and appreciation
21. “I don’t think you necessarily have to be part of a traditional nuclear family to be a good mother. – Mary Louise Parker
22. “I want to show the example that you can be a single mother and work and handle a lot of other things at the same time.” – Christina Milian
23. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
24. “My mother was a single mom, and most of the women I know are strong.” – Regina King
25. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” —Robert Browning
26. “Mothers are the necessity of invention.” – Bill Watterson
27. “The most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck are the arms your children.” – Cardinal Mermillod
28. “Heavy is the head, forced to wear two crowns.” – R. P. Falconer
29. The truth is, every son raised by a single mom is pretty much born married.” – Chuck Palahniuk
30. “I was raised in Boston by three older brothers and a very strong and empowering single mom.”- Eliza Dushku
Also, check out these cute baby boy quotes for expecting moms and dads.
Single mom quotes to inspire and uplift
31. “I was born and raised in East Los Angeles by a single mom who had three biological kids and adopted four more. I never met my dad.” –Will.I.Am
32. “If you want to stand with me as a single mom – and I know so many of my friends and colleagues do – please don’t appropriate my burden as a way to validate your own. To suggest that you are single-parenting when you are simply solo for the weekend devalues what real single mothers do.” – Rachel Simmons
33. “I hope telling the story of how I went from being a single mom to serving in the Texas State Senate to running for governor will remind others that with the right leadership in government, where you start has nothing to do with how far you go.” – Wendy Davis
34. ”There will be so many times you feel like you failed. But in the eyes, ears and mind of your child, you are a SUPER MOM.” – Stephanie Precourt
35. ”Don’t pity me because I am a single mum. Respect me for having the courage to do it alone, the strength to never give up and the love to put my child’s needs before my own.”- mysinglemummyself.com
36. ”Single parent mothers who aren’t spending their time looking for a man but spending their time providing for their children are the most admirable people on earth.” – coolnsmart.com
37. ”Some days she has no idea how she’ll do it. But every single day. It still gets done.” – Anonymous
38. “Single moms: You are a doctor, a teacher, a nurse, a maid, a cook, a referee, a heroine, a provider, a defender, a protector, a true superwoman. Wear your cape proudly.”- Mandy Hale
39. ”Respect to all mums doing double duty because of men failing to do their part as dads.” – John Mark Green
40. ”My children may not have everything they want in life, but they have a mum who loves them more than anything in the world.” – Anonymous
Don’t forget to check out these stepdad quotes that will make you appreciate your blended family.
Single mom quotes to inspire and teach
41. “A single mom tries when things are hard. She never gives up. She believes in her family, even when things are tough. She knows that above all things, a mother’s love is more than enough.”- Deniece Williams
42. “Mothers – especially single mothers – are heroic in their efforts to raise our nation’s children, but men must also take responsibility for their children and recognize the impact they have on their families’ well-being.” – Evan Bayh
43. “I thought about giving up!!..But then I remembered who was watching.” – Anonymous
44. “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thought. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” – Sophia Loren
45. ”I know its hard being a single parent, but I’d rather do it by myself than with someone who doesn’t want to.” – Anonymous
46. ”Being a single mum is twice the work, twice the stress and twice the tears but also twice the hugs, twice the love and twice the pride.” – Anonymous
47. ”Single parents don’t have it easy. They find a way to make it work, even when they don’t know how. It’s the love for their child that pushes them through, every single time.” – Inspirational Quotes Journal
48. The most difficult part of dating as a single parent is deciding how much risk your own child’s heart is worth.” – Daniel Pearce
49. “Even on the days you feel like you are failing, look around, I promise your kids still think you are the best mom in the whole universe.” – todaysthebestday.com
50. “The best part of being a mom to me is the unconditional love. I have never felt a love as pure, a love that’s as rewarding.” – Monica Denise Brown
Don’t forget to check out these special granddaughter quotes that will warm your heart.
Uplifting single-mom quotes
51. “You are never ‘just’ a mom. You are everything your child can need in life, and more.” – Unknown
52. I would say to any single parent currently feeling the weight of stereotype or stigmatization that I am prouder of my years as a single mother than of any other part of my life.” – J.K. Rowling
53. “Remember that a single mom is just like any other mom and that our number one priority is till our kids. Any parent does whatever it takes for their kids and a single mother is no different.” – Paula Miranda
54. “The women whom I love and admire for their strength and grace did not get that way because shit worked out. They got that way because shit went wrong, and they handled it. They handled it in a thousand different ways on a thousand different days, but they handled it. Those women are my superheroes.”- Elizabeth Gilbert
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
55. “Better a loving single-parent family than a ‘conventional’ family where the parents hate each other and the father is a demagogue.” – Moby
56. “I had a lot of guilt as a single mother trying to raise a child. I had to go to work and Jeffrey was screaming that he didn’t want me to. You have to give yourself permission to let go of the guilt.” –– Sherri Shepherd
57. “Single mom or not, remember that you are the best and you are doing the best.” – Unknown
58. “Did you hear? Superheroes are real. They are called single moms.” – Unknown
59. “So far I’m not surprised by anything about being a mom. It’s all pretty great — but that’s what I expected.” — Charlize Theron
60. “Gone are the days when you would sit and wait for your knight in shining armor. Be brave, be independent and believe that you can do it, and you can do a better job.”- Unknown
61. “She has to have four arms, four legs, four eyes, two hearts, and double the love. There is nothing single about a single mom.” — Mandy Hale
62. “The anger and hurt you have within will only help you become stronger and more caring and protective towards your children.” – Unknown
63. “I’m not really single. I mean I am, BUT I HAVE A SON. Being a single mother is different from BEING A SINGLE WOMAN.” — Kate Hudson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of mother and son quotes that put words to this unbreakable bond.
64. “At the end of the day, it’s the bond you share with your child that matters, and you mommy know just how to do that.” – Unknown
65. “I’ve been a single parent for a long time. It reminds me of being a waitress. As you walk back to the kitchen, requests come at you from all sides. You’re doing the job of two – you have to be highly organised.” – Cherie Lunghi
You might also like these wise co-parenting quotes to inspire separated parents.
Single mom quotes to remind you of your strength
66. “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.” —Unknown
67. “I am a single mom and I’m the breadwinner and I have to work and I have to do these things and that’s just the way it is. I don’t think my son even knows any different.” – Charisma Carpenter
68. “As long as we are giving our kids the best life we can… I don’t see anything to be ashamed of.” — Sarah Rachel
69. “I value so many people who have to work full time, definitely single mothers. Their work is the hardest work. I applaud it so much.” – Molly Sims
70. “I was once a single mother, with very few resources, so I have a special place in my heart for women in difficult situations.” – Linda Lael Miller
71. “You’d be surprised how it all works out in the end. You’ll quickly find a routine that works for [you and your children].” — Sig Kap
72. A mother is clothed with strength and dignity, laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks her words are wise and she gives instructions with kindness.” —Proverbs
73. “You have a good head on your shoulders and you’ll get yourself to where you need to be, and that’s all you should ask of yourself.” — Jay Elise
74. “Mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Mermillod
75. “[Being a mom] will change your life, but I think in the long run it will change for the better.” — Gypsy Lady
You might also like these deadbeat dad quotes for healing broken connections.
Single mom quotes to make you strong
76. “If you are a single parent, make friends with others in similar situations and develop friendships with married couples. Counsel with your priesthood leaders. Let them know of your needs and wants. Single parenthood is understood by the Lord.” – Ezra Taft Benson
77. “The strength of my mother is something I didn’t pay attention to for so long. Here she was, this single mom, who was part of the Great Migration, who was part of a Jim Crow south, who said, ‘I’m getting my kids out of here. I’m creating opportunities for these young people by any means necessary.” – Jacqueline Woodson
78. ”I am a single mum. What is your super power?” – Anonymous
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Mother’s Day quotes that help us celebrate moms all around the world.
79. “I am struggling, I won’t lie, but every night when I put my little one to sleep and I watch her, I know deep in my heart that she is well worth my struggles.” — Jesenia
80. “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs since the payment is pure love.” —Mildred B. Vermont
81. “You are doing what is best for you and your children. You can’t ever be faulted for that. Hang in there.” — Skoy Chicago
82. “Mom – a title just above the queen.” – Unknown
83. “What is best for us will be the best for the baby in the end, because when we are emotionally healthy and strong, we can be the best parents we can be.” — KLeighC
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
84. “As a single mom, I’m juggling a lot and working long hours. Yes, it costs them a little, but what my children get in return is a mother who is energized and content.” – Edie Falco
85. “I was living as a young single mom. I was 19 when I was divorced, and my daughter was a year old, and I waited tables here three to four nights a week for several years while I was trying to support myself and my daughter and the day I got that acceptance at Harvard Law School was an unforgettable day.”- Wendy Davis
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of father daughter quotes about their unbreakable bond.
86. “President Obama’s fight for rural America is personal. He was raised by a single mom and grandparents from Kansas. He hails from a farming state, Illinois.” – Tom Vilsack
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of grandparent quotes about the power of family.
87. “It may be tough at times, but I can honestly say, at least from my experience, it’s not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.” — Stella Aluxum
Be sure to also check out these queen quotes celebrating the women in your life.
88. “We don’t get to choose who we fall in love with. If we did, the world would have fewer single mothers.” – Margaret A. Belt
89. “Why is it braver to be a single mother versus being with a partner? Being a couple and having a child could be more challenging because there might be conflict if the male partner cannot understand the extreme attachment a woman feels when she has a child.” – Monica Cruz
90. “Children don’t understand when things aren’t given. The single parent struggling to provide; how they sacrifice themselves, by sweeping their dreams and goals under the table, just to bring bread and beans on the table.” – Anthony Liccione
91. “It takes a tremendous amount of strength to be a single mother. To hold down the forte of a home, a life and your child’s entire happiness.” – Nikki Rowe
You’ll also love these mother daughter quotes expressing unconditional love.
Other inspirational single mom quotes
92. “Being a single mother while trying to repair yourself mentally and emotionally is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do.” – Unknown
93. “I am prouder of my years as a single mother than any other parts of my life.” – J.K. Rowling
94. “Being a single mom is tough, but in the eyes of your child, no one does it better than you.” – Unknown
95. “A child’s first teacher is its mother.”- Peng Liyuan
96. “Being a single mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” – Unknown
97. “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.”- Rudyard Kipling
98. “I know it’s hard being a single mom but I’d rather do it by myself than with someone who doesn’t want to.” – Unknown
99. “You don’t take a class; you’re thrown into motherhood and learn from experience.”- Jennie Finch
100. “I didn’t plan on being a single mom, but you have to deal the card you are delt the best way you can.” – Tichina Arnold
101. “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” – Jill Churchill
More single mom quotes to encourage you
102. “I have a great career, and I have my daughter. So what I don’t have is not as important to me as what I do have.” – Padma Lakshmi
103. “The loves of my life are my children and my mother. I don’t feel as if I need a man.” – Diane Keaton
104. “I have time for everything I had time for before. I just have an added amazing thing in my life.” – January Jones
105. “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
106. “For me, motherhood is learning about the strengths I didn’t know I had, and dealing with the fears I didn’t know existed.” – Halle Berry
107. “You have to carry on as a mother, no matter what, and that’s what I’ve always done.” – Madonna
108. “Single motherhood is an amazing thing; it’s a blessing.” – Kelly Cutrone
109. “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” – Oprah
110. “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
111. “Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing.” – Ricki Lake
Single mom quotes for the tough days
112. “Pressure is the single mom who is trying to scuffle and pay her rent.” –Damian Lillard
113. “You know, I don’t think any mother aims to be a single mom. I didn’t wish for that, but it happened.” -Charlize Theron
114. “I’m not sure anyone – and I could be wrong in this – grows up thinking, I want to be a single mom.” -Bridget Moynahan
115. “Remember you are not managing an inconvenience. You are raising a human being.” -Kittie Frantz
116. “When dating a woman with children, understand that they are a package deal. Don’t expect her to package her child up and ship them away for the evening just because you want to “chill.”” -@justmike_
117. “Being a mom means putting away your childish ways to make room for your child’s ways.” -Author Unknown
118. “Anyone can have a child and call themselves “a parent.” A real parent is someone who puts that child above their own selfish needs and wants.”-Author Unknown
119. “Whenever I see an unmarried woman carrying a child, my first response is one of respect. I know she could have taken the quick fix without anyone knowing, but she chose instead to let an innocent child live.” -Randy Alcorn
120. “There is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself.” -Hannah Gasby
121. “Behind every successful woman is the story of how she never gave up on herself, no matter what difficult times she faced.” -Author Unknown
Inspiring Single Mom Quotes For Lone Parents
122. “The best gift a parent can give children is time … Single moms need to know it’s okay to have a little ‘me’ time.” — Denise Richards
123. “The loves of my life are my children and my mother. I don’t feel as if I need a man.” — Diane Keaton
124. “When you’re a single parent, you’re often lonely yet seldom alone. There is no backup… It is mothering without a net.” — Amy Dickinson
125. “I’m a hustler. I’m a single mom, so whatever I’ve gotta do, I gotta do.” — Sherri Shepherd
126. “This is the place where anybody – like an African American kid raised by a single mom – can be president.” — Jennifer Granholm
127. “A miracle is a single mom who works two jobs to care for her kids and still helps them with their homework at night. A miracle is a child donating all the money in their piggy bank to help victims of Hurricane Katrina. That’s where you’ll find the hand and face of God.” — Cathie Linz
128. “Honestly, I have so much respect for single moms or anybody who finds themselves a single mother, but to even choose to be a single mother is just so courageous to me. It is such a hard job to raise a child and be everything to that child without a partner. It’s just admirable and courageous and brave and every other valiant word I can think of. I don’t know if I could do it on my own.” — Jennifer Lopez
129. “I was just surprised when my wife told me we were having a baby. I was like, Wow, that’s awesome. You’re going to make a great single mom.” — Brian Posehn
130. “It was tough being a single mom. It was tough being in a divorce with children. Very, very hard.” — Melissa Etheridge
131. “My mom has always been a huge inspiration. She was a single mom raising two kids in New York. Now that is full-on all the time.” — Kim Raver
Powerful Single Mom Quotes
132. “I was born to a single mom and raised by her and my grandparents.” — Anthony Foxx
133. “I was a single mom with two kids. What else was I going to do? It was either be in a band or be a waitress.” — Chrissie Hynde
134. “I’ve never had siblings, I didn’t grow up in a big family; it was just me and my single mom. And hectic family dysfunction was actually something that I craved.” — Emmy Rossum
135. “I was a single mom at 20. A lot of choices came out of that. I’ve seen a lot of my friends be in relationships they didn’t want to be in because they couldn’t leave.” — Patricia Arquette
136. “When you are single mom – don’t be afraid to get out there and date, and have a little bit of fun. We’re still women… we’re still feminine… and we still have needs.” — Nia Long
137. “A daughter without her mother is a woman broken. It is a loss that turns to arthritis and settles deep into her bones.” — Kristin Hannah
138. “I didn’t have a lot of exposure to films as a kid, and I never went to the cinema. I had a single mom who just planted me in front of the television.” — Roger Ross Williams
139. “We are seeing it. We are seeing the fabric of this country fall apart, and it’s falling apart because of single moms.” — Rick Santorum
140. When you talk about heroines and heroes, at the top of the list has got to be the single moms of America.” — Bernie Sanders
141. “I was all of these women. I’ve been a young mom; I’ve been a divorcée; I’ve been a single mom. I’ve been the working mom versus the nonworking mom.” — Reese Witherspoon
Single Mom Quotes on the Challenges and Rewards of Single Motherhood
142. “Being a single mother is not a life full of struggles, but a journey full of strength, love, and determination.” ― J.K. Rowling
143. Raising children as a single parent is one of the hardest, most rewarding jobs there is.” ― Oprah Winfrey
144. “A single mother has to fulfill the duties of two parents and that requires a lot of strength and patience.” ― Reese Witherspoon
145. Single mothers are heroes who raise and support their families, often under trying circumstances.” ― Barack Obama
146. “Being a single mom means you have to be supermom, dad, and everyone else all rolled into one.” ― Tina Fey
147. “A single mother has to be able to communicate with her children and keep them close, even if she’s working two jobs to do it.” ― Mariah Carey
148. “The toughest job in the world is being a single mother. It’s an all-consuming, round-the-clock, life-and-death role.” ― Jean Kilbourne
149. “The most difficult part of being a single parent is trying to find the balance between being your child’s best friend and their disciplinarian.” ― Nia Long
150. Being a single mother requires a certain strength and resilience, but it also gives you an opportunity to be a role model for your children in a unique way.” ― Sheryl Sandberg
151. “Being a single mother is not for the faint of heart. It takes grit, determination, and a support system that believes in you.” ― Gabrielle Union
Which of these single mom quotes was your favorite?
Raising kids alone can be difficult, but nothing on this earth is easy.
Whenever you have a bad day, just remember that you have the love of your kids all to yourself and look up to the people who have done it as a source of inspiration.
You can do it.
Hopefully, these quotes have reminded you how strong and special you are.
Which of these single mom quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add to the collection?
Tell us in the comment section below!
Hit the share button below and share these inspirational words with the single moms in your life.