These cooking quotes are from some of the best chefs in the industry.
Ever since man discovered fire, humans have been obsessed with cooking.
Sure, some of us still prefer to just grill everything on an open flame, but others treat cooking like fine art.
Some cultures, like those from Greek and Italian families, treat cooking as a sacred duty that lets everyone know how much we love them.
As an Italian person, I plan nearly every event or holiday around the food, and my siblings all enjoy helping in the kitchen.
There are those who don’t enjoy the act of cooking, but still do it because, you know, eating is important.
Then there are those who are just really not good at it.
Keep reading for some quotes that will resonate with you about cooking, while you think about what to make for dinner tonight.
My favorite chef and cookbook author, Julia Childs, has her own cooking quotes section!
Don’t forget to also check out these kitchen quotes that are about more than just food.
Inspirational cooking quotes from famous chefs
1. “Cooking is like snow skiing: If you don’t fall at least 10 times, then you’re not skiing hard enough.” — Guy Fieri
2. “Once you understand the foundations of cooking—whatever kind you like, whether it’s French or Italian or Japanese—you really don’t need a cookbook anymore.” — Thomas Keller
3. “Taste as you go. When you taste the food throughout the cooking process, you can make adjustments as you go.” — Anne Burrell
4. “Fifty thousand dollars’ worth of cabinets isn’t going to make you a better cook; cooking is going to make you a better cook. At the end of the day, you can slice a mushroom in about three inches of space, and you can carve a chicken in a foot and a half. So it doesn’t matter how big the kitchen is.” — Tyler Florence
5. “I feel a recipe is only a theme which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation.” — Madam Benoit
6. “Cooking is all about people. Food is maybe the only universal thing that really has the power to bring everyone together. No matter what culture, everywhere around the world, people get together to eat.” — Guy Fieri
7. “Cooking with kids is not just about ingredients, recipes, and cooking. It’s about harnessing imagination, empowerment, and creativity.” — Guy Fieri
8. “I don’t cook for the guide, I cook for customers.” — Gordon Ramsay
9. “I still love football, though, and I think cooking is like football. It’s not a job, it’s a passion. When you become good at it, it’s a dream job and financially you need never to worry. Ever.” — Gordon Ramsay
10. “Cooking is about passion, so it may look slightly temperamental in a way that it’s too assertive to the naked eye.” — Gordon Ramsay
11. “Cooking and baking is both physical and mental therapy.” — Mary Berry
12. “Cooking is a philosophy; it’s not a recipe.” — Marco Pierre White
13. “Simple ingredients prepared in a simple way – that’s the best way to take your everyday cooking to a higher level.” — Jose Andres
Cute cooking quotes from Julia Child
14. “No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” — Julia Child
15. “Usually, one’s cooking is better than one thinks it is.” — Julia Child
16. “I think careful cooking is love, don’t you? The loveliest thing you can cook for someone who’s close to you is about as nice a valentine as you can give.” — Julia Child
17. “You learn to cook so that you don’t have to be a slave to recipes. You get what’s in season and you know what to do with it.” — Julia Child
18. “Cooking well doesn’t mean cooking fancy.” — Julia Child
19. “You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces—just good food from fresh ingredients.” — Julia Child
20. “This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook — try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun!” — Julia Child
21. “In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport.” — Julia Child
22. “Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” — Julia Child
23. “If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” — Julia Child
Cooking quotes that prove it’s an expression of love
24. “I love cooking for myself and cooking for my family.” — Al Roker
25. “Cooking is love made visible.” — Unknown
26. “Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with complete abandon or not at all.” — Harriet Van Horne
27. “Cooking with love provides food for the soul.” — Valerie McKeehan
28. “Cooking is love made edible.” — Unknown
29. “The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it.” — James Beard
30. “The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love for those you are cooking for.” — Sophia Loren
31. “Cooking done with care is an act of love.” — Craig Claiborne
32. “Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
33. “I love cooking. Not for myself alone. Cooking is about giving.” — Christine Lagarde
34. “Food, to me, is always about cooking and eating with those you love and care for.” — David Chang
35. “Cooking is at once one of the simplest and most gratifying of the arts, but to cook well one must love and respect food.” — Unknown
Funny cooking quotes (make sure you aren’t chewing or drinking)
36. “I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.” — W. C. Fields
37. “My cooking is so fabulous even the smoke alarm is cheering on me on.” — Unknown
38. “Annoying the cook will result in starvation.” — Unknown
39. “The two biggest sellers in any bookstore are the cookbooks and the diet books. The cookbooks tell you how to prepare the food, and the diet books tell you how not to eat any of it.” — Andy Rooney
40. “When compelled to cook, I produce a meal that would make a sword-swallower gag.” — Russell Baker
41. “Cooking? Oh we were great, you’d take anything and melt cheese on it, and the one who could guess what it was didn’t have to wash up!” — Dylan Moran
42. “If you’re not the one cooking, stay out of the way and compliment the chef.” — Michael Straham
More cooking quotes and sayings
43. “Cooking is actually quite aggressive and controlling and sometimes, yes, there is an element of force-feeding going on.” — Unknown
44. “Cooking at home shows such affection. In a bad economy, it’s more important to make yourself feel good.” — Unknown
45. “I don’t like food that’s too carefully arranged; it makes me think that the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking. If I wanted a picture, I’d buy a painting.” — Andy Rooney
46. “I’m not a chef. But I’m passionate about food – the tradition of it, cooking it, and sharing it.” — Zac Posen
47. “If you are a chef, no matter how good a chef you are, it’s not good cooking for yourself; the joy is in cooking for others – it’s the same with music.” — Will.i.am
48. “Computers are to design as microwaves are to cooking.” — Milton Glaser
49. “Cooking, to me, it’s kind of therapeutic. It’s completely different from music as well. I’m not amazing at it, but I can cook myself a good meal.” — Phillip Phillips
50. “I’m just someone who likes cooking and for whom sharing food is a form of expression.” — Maya Angelou
Powerful cooking quotes to unleash your inner chef
51. “Cooking demands attention, patience, and above all, a respect for the gifts of the earth. It is a form of worship, a way of giving thanks.” – Judith B. Jones
52. “Cooking requires confident guesswork and improvisation—experimentation and substitution, dealing with failure and uncertainty in a creative way.” – Paul Theroux
53. “Cooking is not difficult. Everyone has taste, even if they don’t realize it. Even if you’re not a great chef, there’s nothing to stop you understanding the difference between what tastes good and what doesn’t.” – Gerard Depardieu
54. “Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors—it’s how you combine them that sets you apart.” – Wolfgang Puck
55. “A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe.” – Thomas Keller
56. “Cooking is an observation-based process that you can’t do if you’re so completely focused on a recipe.” – Alton Brown
57. “When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste.” – Laiko Bahrs
58. “Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.”
59. “For me, cooking is an expression of the land where you are and the culture of that place.” – Wolfgang Puck
60. “Cooking is about creating something delicious for someone else.” — Ayumi Komura
Cooking Quotes To Show You Are Excited By What You Do
61. “Cooking may be as much a means of self-expression as any of the arts.” ― Fannie Farmer
62. “Oh, I adore cooking. It makes me feel so mindless in a worthwhile way.” ― Truman Capote
63. “The ambition of every good cook must be to make something very good with the fewest possible ingredients.” ― Urbain Dubois
64. “I ended up turning down a full scholarship of music at the conservatory to pay to go to cooking school.” ― Emeril Lagasse
65. “I like being at home and cooking.” ― Shania Twain
66. “I remember when I was in college, I used to watch Julia Child’s cooking show during dinner and joke with my roommates about becoming a TV chef.” ― Martin Yan
67. “Cooking for six people every day is like having a cafe.” ― Linda McCartney
68. “I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘cooking’ but I can make noodles. That means I can boil water, put the pasta in and wait until it’s done.” ― Devon Werkheiser
69. “Cooking is like making love, you do it well, or you do not do it at all.” ― Harriet Van Horne
70. “I guess I fell into cooking.” ― Bobby Flay
What did you learn from these cooking quotes?
Cooking can be something you do alone as a form of therapy.
It can also be a great idea for a date night, as cooking together requires teamwork and communication.
Cooking can also be a family affair and is a great way to spend time with one another.
However you cook, cooking is good for your physical and mental health.
Cooking gives you control of what ingredients go in your food, so it is easier to make sure that you are using fresh and wholesome ingredients.
It is also less costly than going out to eat, which is good for your wallet.
I have trouble cooking for the right amount of people (a downside of being from an Italian family), so we almost always have leftovers.
This also saves us money on lunch for the next day!
My son’s favorite dish is chicken parmesan, and my husband loves meatloaf!
I like to cook a meal we haven’t had before at least once a week.
What is your favorite dish to cook?
Do you have any other favorite cooking quotes and sayings to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 16, 2022 5:00 AM EST