Remember the words and works of the famous cooking teacher with these Julia Child quotes.
Julia Child was an American author and cooking teacher, as well as a famous television star. She became famous for bringing French Cuisine to the American public through her cookbook and then through television.
Julia Child was one of those people who found something that she had an interest in and became very proficient in that. She gained fame, especially in the culinary world.
What shaped Julia Child’s passion for French Cuisine was actually living in France. In 1948, her husband was transferred to Paris, and that is where Julia fell in love with and learned about French cuisine. Enjoy these Julia Child quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Gordon Ramsay quotes from the international chef and restaurateur.
Julia Child quotes about life
1. “I don’t think about whether people will remember me or not. I’ve been an okay person. I’ve learned a lot. I’ve taught people a thing or two. That’s what’s important. Sooner or later the public will forget you, the memory of you will fade. What’s important is the individuals you’ve influenced along the way.” – Julia Child
2. “Well, all I know is this—nothing you ever learn is really wasted, and will sometime be used.” – Julia Child
3. “The sweetness and generosity and politeness and gentleness and humanity of the French had shown me how lovely life can be if one takes time to be friendly.” – Julia Child
4. “Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it’s done right. Even a pancake.” – Julia Child
5. “Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” – Julia Child
6. “…no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” – Julia Child
7. “Until I discovered cooking, I was never really interested in anything.” – Julia Child
8. “Just speak very loudly and quickly, and state your position with utter conviction, as the French do, and you’ll have a marvelous time!” – Julia Child
9. “…The more I learned the more I realized how very much one has to know before one is in-the-know at all.” – Julia Child
10. “But how nice it is that one can come to know someone just through correspondence, and become really passionate friends.” – Julia Child
Julia Child quotes about cooking
11. “If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” – Julia Child
12. “The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.” – Julia Child
13. “This is my invariable advice to people: Learn how to cook — try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun!” – Julia Child
14. “Cooking well doesn’t mean cooking fancy.” – Julia Child
15. “You learn to cook so that you don’t have to be a slave to recipes. You get what’s in season and you know what to do with it.” – Julia Child
16. “Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed. Eh bien, tant pis. Usually, one’s cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile, and learn from her mistakes.” – Julia Child
17. “In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport.” – Julia Child
18. “You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces – just good food from fresh ingredients.” – Julia Child
19. “Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” – Julia Child
20. “But my favorite remained the basic roast chicken. What a deceptively simple dish. I had come to believe that one can judge the quality of a cook by his or her roast chicken. Above all, it should taste like chicken: it should be so good that even a perfectly simple, buttery roast should be a delight.” – Julia Child
Funny Julia Child quotes
21. “People who love to eat are always the best people.” – Julia Child
22. “I enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food…” – Julia Child
23. “A party without cake is just a meeting.” – Julia Child
24. “I don’t believe in bottled salad dressing… why should you have it bottled? It’s so easy to make. And they never use very good oil.” – Julia Child
25. “Always remember: If you’re alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who’s going to know?” – Julia Child
26. “Celebrity has its uses. I can always get a seat in any restaurant.” – Julia Child
27. “How can a nation be called great if its bread tastes like kleenex?” – Julia Child
28. “Tears mess up your makeup.” – Julia Child
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of makeup quotes about the power of looking good.
29. “Everything can have drama if it’s done right. Even a pancake.” – Julia Child
30. The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit.”- Julia Child
Julia Child quotes about food
31. “I think one of the terrible things today is that people have this deathly fear of food: fear of eggs, say, or fear of butter. Most doctors feel that you can have a little bit of everything.” – Julia Child
32. “When you have a few cake formulas and filling ideas in your repertoire, you will find that it’s pretty much an assembly job – you can mix and match a different way every time.” – Julia Child
33. “After one taste of French food… I was hooked. I’d never eaten like that before, I didn’t know such food existed. The wonderful attention paid to each detail of the meal was incredible to me. I’d never really drunk good wine before, and knew nothing at all about it. It was simply a whole new life experience.” – Julia Child
34. “It is the Americans who have managed to crown minced beef as hamburger, and to send it round the world so that even the fussy French have taken to le boeuf hache, le hambourgaire.” – Julia Child
35. “I just hate health food.” – Julia Child
36. “Fat gives things flavor.” – Julia Child
37. “I find that if I just taste everything and eat small portions I maintain my weight. I watch my fat intake, but I eat hearty.” – Julia Child
38. “In France, Paul explained, good cooking was regarded as a combination of national sport and high art, and wine was always served with lunch and dinner. ‘The trick is moderation,’ he said.” – Julia Child
39. “I’m not a chef. I think in this country, we use the term very loosely. I’m a cook and a teacher.” – Julia Child
40. “I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate.” – Julia Child
More Julia Child quotes
41. “It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you know someone’s fingers have been all over it.” – Julia Child
42. “You have to eat to cook. You can’t be a good cook and be a non eater. I think eating is the secret to good cooking.” – Julia Child
43. “As you get older, you shouldn’t waste time drinking bad wine.” – Julia Child
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wine quotes to celebrate over your favorite glass.
44. “In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal.” – Julia Child
45. “The American poultry industry had made it possible to grow a fine-looking fryer in record time and sell it at a reasonable price, but no one mentioned that the result usually tasted like the stuffing inside of a teddy bear.” – Julia Child
46. “I’m awfully sorry for people who are taken in by all of today’s dietary mumbo jumbo. They are not getting any enjoyment out of their food.” – Julia Child
47. “Of course I made many boo-boos. At first this broke my heart, but then I came to understand that learning how to fix one’s mistakes or live with them, was an important part of becoming a cook.” – Julia Child
48. “Food like love is a deeply emotional matter.” – Julia Child
49. “Noodles are not only amusing but delicious.” – Julia Child
50. “The tomato hides its griefs. Internal damage is hard to spot.” – Julia Child
You might also like these Guy Fieri quotes from the host of diners, drive-ins, and dives.
Did you enjoy these Julia Child quotes?
As you can tell from the quotes, Julia Child was a very relatable person, and many believe that is why she was so successful on television. Her television show debuted in 1963 and she became a star.
At that time technology was not as advanced to cut out miscues during the show, so any mistakes were shown. That actually worked in her favor as people were able to see her as a real person.
After seeing some of Julia’s most famous quotes, hopefully, you’re encouraged to learn more about her. She was talented in many areas of her life, as are many successful people.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Julia Child quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
December 28, 2020 7:00 AM EST