Gordon Ramsay Quotes from the International Chef and Restaurateur
June 23, 2022 2:42 AM EST
Whether you like to cook or like to eat, these Gordon Ramsay quotes will motivate and entertain.
You may know the name “Gordon Ramsay” as that TV chef, but chances are you may not know the rest of his story.
Ramsay began his career working in hotel management, but it wasn’t long before he was training with famous chefs.
His dedication continued to drive him and he achieved one award after another.
Eventually, Gordon Ramsay had his own restaurant.
Now he has many around the world.
He’s also had multiple television shows and started a foundation with his wife to help sick children get treatment.
If that’s not a great list of achievements, what is?
Don’t forget to also check out these Dan Peña quotes from the trillion-dollar man.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Wise Gordon Ramsay quotes
1. “I don’t like looking back. I’m always constantly looking forward. I’m not the one to sort of sit and cry over spilt milk. I’m too busy looking for the next cow.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: This is a great reminder that we always have a choice about we react to things. You could cry over spilt milk and lament over what you lost. However, you could also just start looking for that next cow. Choosing to focus on the positive and changing your mindset can drastically change your life.
2. “I think pressure’s healthy, and very few can handle it.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Pressure can be beneficial in the sense that it motivates and pushes people. It is what creates diamonds, after all! Instead of “handling it,” I think it’s just a matter of sticking through the work and struggle, to get to the point where it is all worth it. Most people quit when it gets extremely uncomfortable, which is usually just right before it all pays off!
3. “Best to start at the bottom & gradually climb up. It’s much more fun, too.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: We all start somewhere…Starting at the bottom gives us a chance to learn so many things on the climb up! Don’t look at starting at the bottom as a bad thing. Instead, be grateful for all that you will learn!
4. “Put your head down and work hard. Never wait for things to happen, make them happen for yourself through hard graft and not giving up.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: How hard you work is a direct indicator of the kind of success you are going to reach. Everyone sees successful people when they reach the top. They don’t witness the struggle. Keep going, learn more, improve your game, and don’t quit!
You will also enjoy our article on kitchen quotes.
5. “Push your limit to the absolute extreme.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: The only limits you have are the one’s you place upon yourself. Who decides how hard you are willing to work? Or how many things you will achieve? YOU! Keep pushing, when you get where you want to be you will know! Just remember it is your journey, so go as far as you want to!
6. “The minute you start compromising for the sake of massaging somebody’s ego, that’s it, game over.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Do not compromise yourself and your beliefs to make other people feel better. You shouldn’t have to dim your light so someone else can shine.
7. “I’ve had a lot of success; I’ve had failures, so I learn from the failure.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: What have your learned from your failures? We are all going to fail sometimes. The important thing is to get back up and take the lesson learned to help you get where you want to be!
8. “I am what I am. A fighter.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: We are all what we are. The question is what do you want to be? Are you a fighter? A lover? A pacifist? Whatever you are, just make sure you own it and are doing what makes you happy!
9. “I suppose your security is your success and your key to success is your fine palate.” – Gordon Ramsay
10. “I act on impulse and I go with my instincts.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Our instincts and intuition are like a subtle guiding force. Intuition is a process in which our brains use past experiences, cues from our environment, and cues from our own sense of self to make quick decisions. In fact, it happens so quickly you don’t notice it on a conscious level. Here are a few simple things you can do to enhance your intuition: listen more, go with your gut, maintain a positive mood, and limit the time you spend with people who drain your energy.
You will also enjoy our article on cooking quotes.
Gordon Ramsay quotes about cooking
11. “Being a chef never seems like a job, it becomes a true passion.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Find a job that gives you more than money. That feeling of making money while doing something you are passionate about is like non other!
12. “However, amazing a dish looks, it is always the taste that lingers in your memory. Family and friends will appreciate a meal that tastes superb-even if you’ve brought the pan to the table.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Presentation is one part of cooking. However, what really matters is the taste. The same can be said when thinking about our relationships. Image is one thing, but a person’s character is what really matters.
13. “Kitchens are hard environments, and they form incredibly strong characters.” – Gordon Ramsay
14. “Initially let your food do the talking. You’ll be surprised how far you go in a short period of time.” – Gordon Ramsay
15. “Stopping the junk food and Eating well is partially about cooking well and having the skills to do that.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Eating well is good for your physical and mental well-being. Part of eating well means preparing nutritious food and limiting your consumption of processed food. You do not have to be a world class chef to manage this task, though! Check out this article for more about cooking and meal prep.
16. “There’s a bond among a kitchen staff, I think. You spend more time with your chef in the kitchen than you do with your own family.” – Gordon Ramsay
17. “I think every chef, not just in America, but across the world, has a double-edged sword – two jackets, one that’s driven, a self-confessed perfectionist, thoroughbred, hate incompetence and switch off the stove, take off the jacket and become a family man.” – Gordon Ramsay
18. “I cook, I create, I’m incredibly excited by what I do, I’ve still got a lot to achieve.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Are you incredibly excited by what you do? You can make money and do something you enjoy. Start by figuring out what you actually enjoy. If it is being creative, there are lots of careers that are more creative then they appear at first glance. Find a career that feeds your soul!
19. “My childhood favorite is mum’s shepherd’s pie, Yorkshire pudding and roasted potatoes. I remember coming home from school and going to the kitchen to help her. It’s because of her that I discovered my love for cooking.” – Gordon Ramsay
20. “First of all, for me the secret is in the ingredients. You don’t need to start spending fortunes on organic foods and start becoming way over budget. The better the ingredient, the littler that needs doing to it.” – Gordon Ramsay
Funny Gordon Ramsay quotes
21. “There’s no bigger pain anywhere in the world than a vegetarian.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: As a chef who cooks and eats meat, I can see how this would be ‘a pain.’ However, there are lots of reasons people become vegetarians, including improving their health. Vegetarians have healthier hearts (a side effect of not eating red meat). Check out this article if you are interested in cutting back on your red meat intake!
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of vegan quotes to inspire your new diet.
22. “My gran could do better! And she’s dead!” – Gordon Ramsay
23. “This isn’t a pizza, this is a mistake. This is an Italian tragedy.” – Gordon Ramsay
24. “This crab is so undercooked I can still hear it singing ‘Under the Sea.’” – Gordon Ramsay
25. “I wouldn’t trust you running a bath.” – Gordon Ramsay
26. “There’s enough garlic in here to kill every vampire in Europe.” – Gordon Ramsay
27. “This fish is so raw it’s still finding Nemo.” – Gordon Ramsay
28. “Forecast for tomorrow? 100 percent chance of tears.” – Gordon Ramsay
29. “For what we are about to eat, may the Lord make us truly not vomit.” – Gordon Ramsay
30. “Congratulations… on the worst dish in this competition so far.” – Gordon Ramsay
Gordon Ramsay quotes about family
31. “My mum doesn’t enjoy sometimes listening to me tell staff off, and I say to my mum, it’s a kitchen, not a hair-dressing salon.” – Gordon Ramsay
32. “I’ve never been a hands-on dad. I’m not ashamed to admit it, but you can’t run a restaurant and be home for tea at 4:30 and bath and change nappies.” – Gordon Ramsay
33. “I want my kids to see me as Dad, for God’s sake, not a television personality.” – Gordon Ramsay
34. “My father was a swim teacher. We used to swim before school, swim after school.” – Gordon Ramsay
35. “[I spend a] lot [time travelling]. Between the restaurants, filming for TV, producing MasterChef, seeing the kids… it’s pretty constant.” – Gordon Ramsay
36. “My wife, a schoolteacher, very disciplined. If you think I’m tough, trust me, and wait till you see when the children are on the naughty step. It’s hilarious. So we decided that I’m going to work like a donkey and provide amazing support for the family.” – Gordon Ramsay
37. “I mean, families are weird.” – Gordon Ramsay
Everyday Application: Families are weird… and complicated. I mean there is this idea that just because you share a genetic relationship that you will be best friends for life. It is nice when it works out that way. However, for many of us, we find ourselves surrounded by people we wouldn’t associate with if they didn’t share a few DNA strands with us. Some family relationships are down right toxic. It is ok to separate yourself from familial toxicity, if your family situation is a little more complex than ‘weird.’
38. “[ Full English breakfast] it’s what we grew up with! It is the one big treat that the kids get on the weekend – it’s good family time.” – Gordon Ramsay
39. “If [kids] don’t know how to cook, they go to junk, and then the junk becomes addictive, and then all of a sudden they’re left with no choice.” – Gordon Ramsay
40. “[My kids] don’t need to cook to keep me happy. It’s my job as dad to create opportunities so that they can find their passion. Forget about money, find what you really want to do with your life.” – Gordon Ramsay
41. “Having four kids of my own, fifth one on the way… I think with “Junior,” what’s happened over the last three years is this program’s been implemented across schools.” – Gordon Ramsay
Gordon Ramsay quotes that will make your day
42. “I am a chef who happens to appear on the telly, that’s it.” – Gordon Ramsay
43. “I am the most unselfish chef in Britain today.” – Gordon Ramsay
44. “Here, in L.A., trust me, there will be fireworks from the canapés right through to the desserts.” – Gordon Ramsay
45. “I’m actually not really a breakfast person.” – Gordon Ramsay
46. “If you think customers are impatient in New York, wait til you see how impatient they are here in L.A.” – Gordon Ramsay
47. “One thing I can’t afford to get sucked up in is the trend formation of restaurants here. I’ve invested heavily. We have a ten-year lease. More importantly, the style, the feel and the décor of the dining room is vibrant.” – Gordon Ramsay
48. “We outsmarted ourselves and raised the bar even higher, I think.” – Gordon Ramsay
49. “There’s a side to reality TV that is part education, as well. I’ve seen that since doing “MasterChef Junior,” in terms of the effect it has on the confidence given these young kids from 8 to 13, a quality life skill. Even if they never pursue cooking as a job or a career, just learning how to cook for yourself sets you up in a good place.” – Gordon Ramsay
50. “If you want to think about cooking, and it’s a high-five, laid back motion, then flip burgers and dress Caesar salad, don’t try to pitch in the premier league of restaurants. Build up to it, by all means.” – Gordon Ramsay
51. “Don’t take it personally. Just take it seriously.” – Gordon Ramsay
More Gordon Ramsay quotes and sayings
52. “Swearing is industry language. For as long as we’re alive it’s not going to change. You’ve got to be boisterous to get results.” – Gordon Ramsay
53. “Addicts are selfish, the most selfish people you’ll ever meet. And self-pitying. And manipulative. Always making promises they’ll never keep. They disgust me.” – Gordon Ramsay
54. “You’ve got to kiss arse to get somewhere, to learn. Clock-watchers are no good at kissing arse.” – Gordon Ramsay
55. “You need to know what you’re aiming for in order to reach it.” – Gordon Ramsay
56. “A recipe is a guideline. Adding, subtracting, evolving it – that is part of the pleasure.” – Gordon Ramsay
57. “But sometimes you have to question even the best and greatest. Cookery is quite a journey. Take nothing for granted.” – Gordon Ramsay
58. “Baking with chocolate is similar to cooking with wine. You get out what you put in.” – Gordon Ramsay
59. “Chefs are nutters. They’re all self-obsessed, delicate, dainty, insecure little souls and absolute psychopaths. Every last one of them.” – Gordon Ramsay
60. “Pressure’s healthy. It becomes stressful when you can’t handle that. I mean, if you don’t want to become pressured in this environment, then don’t be a chef.” – Gordon Ramsay
You might also like these Guy Fieri quotes from the host of diners, drive-ins, and dives.
Which of these Gordon Ramsay quotes is your favorite?
When we see people on television, it’s easy to think of them one-dimensionally.
It’s easy to think of Gordon Ramsay as a great chef because that’s what he’s most known for.
But there’s a lot more required to accomplish the things that he has.
Hopefully you learned a little about Gordon Ramsay and are also walking away with something that will help motivate you to continue taking steps to rise up levels in your own work and life.
Be open to looking for ways that one opportunity can grow into more.
You just never know what paths may be waiting for you.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Gordon Ramsay quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Check out Gordon Ramsay on MasterClass where he teaches Cooking.