Coraline is one creepy animated film, as most of these Coraline quotes allude to.
It has been called a “horror movie for kids.”
They based the movie on a children’s novella by Neil Gaiman.
So what exactly is the storyline behind Coraline?
Coraline and her family move into a new house.
Her parents are busy working, and she feels neglected.
Then one day she discovers a secret door in their new house that takes her to a parallel reality.
It closely resembles her own world and is complete with Other Mother and Other Father.
They appear to be loving and pay attention to Coraline.
This new mother cooks all of Coraline’s favorite dishes, and her toy box is full of new toys that can move and fly.
While things appear to be better in this world.
There is something off about her new parents.
They have buttons for eyes, paper-thin skin, and other creepy physical characteristics.
The more time that Coraline spends in the other world, the weirder things become.
Then she meets a cat who says he can move between the worlds.
The other mother tells Coraline that she can stay with them forever, but she has to have buttons sewed to her eyes.
Coraline is rightfully disturbed and flees to her actual house, only to discover that her parents are missing!
Don’t forget to also check out these wicked and woeful Wednesday Addams quotes.
Coraline quotes about life that we can all relate to
1. “You probably think this world is a dream come true, but you’re wrong.” – Neil Gaiman
2. “You realize you’re walking right into her trap.” – Neil Gaiman
3. “Even the proudest spirit can be broken with love.” – Neil Gaiman
4. “The world seemed to shimmer a little at the edges.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
5. “Because,’ she said, ‘when you’re scared but you still do it anyway, that’s brave.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
6. “But how can you walk away from something and still come back to it?” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
7. “The sky had never seemed so sky; the world had never seemed so world.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
8. “She hugged herself and told herself that she was brave, and she almost believed herself […]” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
9. “She closed her eyes and wished that the earth would swallow her up.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
10. “Nobody is ever given more to shoulder than he or she can bear.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Darker Coraline quotes about life
11. “We are small, but we are many. We are many, we are small. We were here before you rose. We will be here when you fall.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
12. “Mirrors,’ she said, ‘are never to be trusted.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
13. “There’s a but, isn’t there?” said Coraline. “I can feel it. Like a rain cloud.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
14. “She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
15. “Here you go, she said. I don’t need it anymore. I’m very grateful. I think it may have saved my life, saved some other people’s death.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
16. “Coraline went over to the window and watched the rain come down. It wasn’t the kind of rain you could go out in—it was the other kind, the kind that threw itself down from the sky and splashed where it landed.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
17. “Coraline wondered why so few of the adults she had met made any sense. She sometimes wondered who they thought they were talking to.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
18. “I’m an explorer, thought Coraline to herself. And I need all the ways out of here that I can get. So I shall keep walking.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
19. “I’m not much of a challenge here in the dark.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
20. “You’re too clever and too quiet for them to understand.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
21. “They weren’t making much sense; she decided they were having an argument as old and comfortable as an armchair, the kind of argument that no one ever really wins or loses but which can go on forever, if both parties are willing.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Fanciful and strange Coraline quotes
22. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
23. “How do I know you’ll keep your word?” asked Coraline.
“I swear it,” said the other mother. “I swear it on my own mother’s grave.”
“Does she have a grave?” asked Coraline.
“Oh yes,” said the other mother. “I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
24. “Coraline? Oh, there you are. Where on earth were you?”
“I was kidnapped by aliens,” said Coraline. “They came down from outer space with ray guns, but I fooled them by wearing a wig and laughing in a foreign accent, and I escaped.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
25. “Coraline shook her head. ‘Why don’t you play with me?’ she asked. ‘Busy,’ he said. ‘Working,’ he added. He still hadn’t turned around to look at her.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Which of these Coraline quotes is your favorite?
Coraline discovers a message from her parents, who have been kidnapped and trapped by Other Mother.
Despite being terrified, she ventures back into the alternate reality to rescue her parents.
When Coraline refuses to stay again, the Other Mother locks her in a small space behind a mirror.
This is where this show gets really weird, and Coraline meets three ghost children who let the Other Mother sew buttons on their eyes.
However, she got bored with them and left them to die.
They are trapped there because she keeps their souls.
Coraline and the Other Mother engage in a game of wits and will to decide the fate of Coraline, her parents and the ghost children.
I won’t spoil the ending, and if you like horror movies and have older children, you might want to watch it!
There are all kinds of theories you can check out too if you have the time to dive down a rabbit hole of weirdness!
Have you seen it already?
Which of these Coraline quotes and lines is your favorite?
Share your thoughts and theories in the comment section below.
August 11, 2022 5:00 AM EST