Coraline is one creepy animated film, as most of these Coraline quotes allude to. It has been called a “horror movie for kids.” They based the movie on a children’s novella by Neil Gaiman.
So what exactly is the storyline behind Coraline?
Coraline and her family move into a new house. Her parents are busy working, and she feels neglected. Then one day she discovers a secret door in their new house that takes her to a parallel reality.
It closely resembles her own world and is complete with Other Mother and Other Father. They appear to be loving and pay attention to Coraline. This new mother cooks all of Coraline’s favorite dishes, and her toy box is full of new toys that can move and fly.
While things appear to be better in this world. There is something off about her new parents. They have buttons for eyes, paper-thin skin, and other creepy physical characteristics.
The more time that Coraline spends in the other world, the weirder things become. Then she meets a cat who says he can move between the worlds.
The other mother tells Coraline that she can stay with them forever, but she has to have buttons sewed to her eyes. Coraline is rightfully disturbed and flees to her actual house, only to discover that her parents are missing!
Don’t forget to also check out these wicked and woeful Wednesday Addams quotes.
Coraline quotes about life that we can all relate to
1. “I don’t want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn’t mean anything? What then?” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
2. “Because,’ she said, ‘when you’re scared but you still do it anyway, that’s brave.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
3. “But how can you walk away from something and still come back to it?” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
4. “The sky had never seemed so sky; the world had never seemed so world.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
5. “Being brave didn’t mean you weren’t scared. Being brave meant you were scared, really scared, badly scared, and you did the right thing, anyway.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
6. “I think most things are pretty magical, and that it’s less a matter of belief than it is one of just stopping to notice.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
7. “She hugged herself and told herself that she was brave, and she almost believed herself […]” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
8. “Coraline shook her head. ‘Why don’t you play with me?’ she asked. ‘Busy,’ he said. ‘Working,’ he added. He still hadn’t turned around to look at her.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Darker Coraline quotes about life
9. “Coraline wondered why so few of the adults she had met made any sense. She sometimes wondered who they thought they were talking to.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
10. “Nobody is ever given more to shoulder than he or she can bear.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
11. “We are small, but we are many. We are many, we are small. We were here before you rose. We will be here when you fall.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
12. “Mirrors,’ she said, ‘are never to be trusted.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
13. “There’s a but, isn’t there?” said Coraline. “I can feel it. Like a rain cloud.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
14. “She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure who she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
15. “Here you go, she said. I don’t need it anymore. I’m very grateful. I think it may have saved my life, saved some other people’s death.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
16. “Coraline went over to the window and watched the rain come down. It wasn’t the kind of rain you could go out in—it was the other kind, the kind that threw itself down from the sky and splashed where it landed.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
17. “She closed her eyes and wished that the earth would swallow her up.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
18. “I’m an explorer, thought Coraline to herself. And I need all the ways out of here that I can get. So I shall keep walking.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
19. “I’m not much of a challenge here in the dark.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
20. “You’re too clever and too quiet for them to understand.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
21. “They weren’t making much sense; she decided they were having an argument as old and comfortable as an armchair, the kind of argument that no one ever really wins or loses but which can go on forever, if both parties are willing.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Fanciful and strange Coraline quotes
22. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
23. “How do I know you’ll keep your word?” asked Coraline.
“I swear it,” said the other mother. “I swear it on my own mother’s grave.”
“Does she have a grave?” asked Coraline.
“Oh yes,” said the other mother. “I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
24. “Coraline? Oh, there you are. Where on earth were you?”
“I was kidnapped by aliens,” said Coraline. “They came down from outer space with ray guns, but I fooled them by wearing a wig and laughing in a foreign accent, and I escaped.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
25. “The world seemed to shimmer a little at the edges.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
26. “Oh- my twitchy witchy girl, I think you are so nice I give you bowls of porridge and I give you bowls of ice cream. I give you lots of kisses, and I give lots of hugs, but I never give you sandwiches with bugs.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
27. “Missing,” said Coraline. “I haven’t seen either of them since yesterday. I’m on my own. I think I’ve probably become a single child family.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
28. “Nobody sensible believes in ghosts anyway—that’s because they’re all such liars.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
29. “Stay here with us,” said the voice from the figure at the end of the room. “We will listen to you and play with you and laugh with you. Your other mother will build whole worlds for you to explore and tear them down every night when you are done.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
30. “That is why we could not leave here when we died. She kept us, and she fed on us. Until now, we’ve nothing left of ourselves, only snakeskins and spider husks. Find our secret hearts, young mistress.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
31. “It wasn’t the best place to go for a walk, really. There were all these things that people had thrown away back there—old cookers and broken dishes and dolls with no arms and no legs and empty cans and broken bottles. Mum and Dad made me promise not to go exploring back there, because there were too many sharp things, and tetanus and such.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
32. “She became certain that there was something in the dark behind her: something very old and very slow. Her heart beat so hard and so loudly she was scared it would burst out of her chest.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
33. “I didn’t know I had another mother,’ said Coraline cautiously. ‘Of course you do. Everyone does,’ said the other mother, her black-button eyes gleaming.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
34. “Coraline hesitated. She turned back. Her other mother and her other father were walking towards her, holding hands. They were looking at her with their black button eyes.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
35. “From the corner of her eye she saw something bone white scamper from one tree trunk to another, closer and closer. She forced herself not to look at it.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Coraline quotes about names and love
36. “The names are the first things to go, after the breath has gone, and the beating of the heart. We keep our memories longer than our names.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
37. “Nothing’s changed. You’ll go home. You’ll be bored. You’ll be ignored. No one will listen to you, really listen to you. You’re too clever and too quiet for them to understand. They don’t even get your name right.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
38. “What’s your name,” Coraline asked the cat. “Look, I’m Coraline. Okay?”
“Cats don’t have names,” it said.
“No?” said Coraline. ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
39. “No,” said the cat. “Now you people have names. That’s because you don’t know who you are. We know who we are, so we don’t need names.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
40. “I have no plans to love you,” said Coraline. “No matter what. You can’t make me love you.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
41. “No one had hugged her like that since she had retired from the theater.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
42. “It’s Coraline, not Caroline. Coraline.” ― Neil Gaiman
43. “Then she hugged her mother so tightly that her arms began to ache. Her mother hugged Coraline back.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
44. “She said, ‘You know that I love you.’ And, despite herself, Coraline nodded. It was true: the other mother loved her. But she loved Coraline as a miser loves money, or a dragon loves its gold.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Coraline quotes about animals and friends
45. “We… we could be friends.”
“We COULD be rare specimens of an exotic breed of dancing African elephants, but we’re not. At least, I’M not.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
46. “Spiders’ webs only have to be large enough to catch flies.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
47. “The thing was white, and huge, and swollen. Monstrous, thought Coraline, but also miserable.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
48. “You were very good,” said the little dog. ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
49. “The mice have a message for you,’ he whispered. Coraline didn’t know what to say. ‘The message is this. Don’t go through the door.’ He paused. ‘Does that mean anything to you?” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
50. “In the flat above Coraline’s, under the roof, was a crazy old man with a big mustache. He told Coraline that he was training a mouse circus. He wouldn’t let anyone see it.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
More Coraline Quotes and Sayings
51. “I will be brave, thought Coraline. No, I am brave.” – Neil Gaiman
52. “Even the proudest spirit can be broken with love.” – Neil Gaiman
53. “You know I love you,’ said the other mother flatly. ‘You have a very funny way of showing it,’ said Coraline.” – Neil Gaiman
54. “She had the feeling that the door was looking at her, which she knew was silly, and knew on a deeper level was somehow true.” – Neil Gaiman
55. “She smiled at Coraline, as if it had been a very long time since she had smiled and she had almost, but not quite, forgotten how.” – Neil Gaiman
56. “You probably think this world is a dream come true, but you’re wrong.” – Neil Gaiman
57. “You realize you’re walking right into her trap.” – Neil Gaiman
58. “Nothing to find here. This is just the outside. The part of the place she hasn’t bothered to create.” – Neil Gaiman
59. “There are those who have suggested that the tendency of a cat to play with its prey is a merciful one..” – Neil Gaiman
60. “Her other mother smiled brightly and the hair on her head drifted like plants under the sea.” – Neil Gaiman
Which of these Coraline quotes is your favorite?
Coraline discovers a message from her parents, who have been kidnapped and trapped by Other Mother. Despite being terrified, she ventures back into the alternate reality to rescue her parents. When Coraline refuses to stay again, the Other Mother locks her in a small space behind a mirror.
This is where this show gets really weird, and Coraline meets three ghost children who let the Other Mother sew buttons on their eyes. However, she got bored with them and left them to die. They are trapped there because she keeps their souls.
Coraline and the Other Mother engage in a game of wits and will to decide the fate of Coraline, her parents and the ghost children.
I won’t spoil the ending, and if you like horror movies and have older children, you might want to watch it! There are all kinds of theories you can check out too if you have the time to dive down a rabbit hole of weirdness!
Have you seen it already? Which of these Coraline quotes and lines is your favorite? Share your thoughts and theories in the comment section below.
April 24, 2022 5:00 AM EST