Find your motivation to get up and head out for a walk with these walking quotes.
Walking is one of the simplest forms of exercise and one that the majority of people are able to do. And, the best part is, there are more than just physical benefits to exercise. There are many mental and emotional benefits that come along with it as well.
Walking through nature also comes with added benefits. It often helps people to feel connected with nature and pull away from the busyness of the world.
And then in the quiet and calm, they’re able to reconnect with their thoughts. Read the walking quotes below for some other great reminders about the benefits of walking.
Walking quotes about thinking and walking
1. “All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “I love walking because it clears your mind, enriches the soul, takes away stress and opens up your eyes to a whole new world.” – Claudette Dudley
3. “Walking is the natural recreation for a person who desires not absolutely to suppress his intellect but to turn it out to play for a season.” – Leslie Stephen
4. “If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” – Raymond Inmon
5. “Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.” – Henry David Thoreau
Also check out these running quotes to motivate you to stay active.
Walking quotes about exercise and health
6. “Walking is the best possible exercise.” – Thomas Jefferson
7. “Walking is the favorite sport of the good and wise.” – A.L. Rowse
8. “I look my best when I’m totally free, on holiday, walking on the beach.” – Rosamund Pike
9. “Walking gets the feet moving, the blood moving, the mind moving.” – Terri Guillemets
10. “Walking is cheap, fun, safe and acceptable exercise.” – Annie Taylor
11. “Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn’t formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.” – Lee Haney
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of exercise quotes to inspire long term thinking.
Walking quotes about the mental health benefits of walking
12. “The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.” – Jacqueline Schiff
13. “Walking brings me back to myself.” – Laurette Mortimer
14. “A morning walk sets us out on the right foot for the day.” – Terri Guillemets
15. “When I’m in turmoil, when I can’t think, when I’m exhausted and afraid and feeling very, very alone, I go for walks. It’s just one of those things I do. I walk and I walk and sooner or later something comes to me, sometimes to make me feel less like jumping off a building.” – Jim Butcher
16. “If you are in a bad mood go for a walk. If you are still in a bad mood, go for another walk.” – Hippocrates
17. “A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” – Paul Dudley White
18. “We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down.” – Robert Sweetgall
19. “A morning walk gives the body a chance to forgive the trails and tribulations of yesterday, to shed its rubbish and mental clutter.” – Terri Guillemets
Walking quotes to get you on your feet
20. “There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don’t allow yourself to become one of them.” – Ralph Marston
21. “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Don’t forget to also read these wise training quotes to inspire you towards personal development.
Walking quotes about nature
22. “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
23. “Walking shares with making and working that crucial.” – Unknown
24. “The destiny of every walking man is to immerse himself in the panorama surrounding him, to the point of becoming one with it and, ultimately, to vanish.” – Federico Castigliano
25. “Good walking leaves no track behind it.” – Laozi
26. “There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country. A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right temp. Even a bicycle goes too fast.” – Paul Scott Mowrer
27. “Walking… is how the body measures itself against the earth.” – Rebecca Sonit
Inspirational walking quotes
28. “He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
29. “My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” – Aldous Huxley
30. “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” – Henry David Thoreau
31. “Walking is the great adventure, the first meditation, a practice of heartiness and soul primary to humankind. Walking is the exact balance between spirit and humility.” – Gary Snyder
32. “When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep on walking.” – Michael Patrick King
33. “If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away.” – Iman
34. “After a day’s walk everything has twice its usual value.” – George Macauley Trevelyan
35. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” – Richard Branson
Insightful walking quotes
36. “Golf is a good walk spoiled.” – Mark Twain
37. “If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should explode and perish.” – Charles Dickens
38. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” – Abraham Lincoln
39. “Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” – Steven Wright
40. “A lone walker is both present and detached, more than an audience but less than a participant. Walking assuages or legitimizes this alienation.” – Rebecca Solnit
41. “Walking is pretty easy. You just have to be confident, like not caring. And honestly, people think about their walk too much, so they try to do something really interesting, but the designers hate it.” – Lucky Blue Smith
42. “Walk like you have three men walking behind you.” – Anonymous
43. “Walking is the great adventure, the first meditation, a practice of heartiness and soul primary to humankind. Walking is the exact balance between spirit and humility.” – Gary Snyder
44. “The higher we are placed, the more humbly we should walk.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
45. “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” – Carrie Latet
46. “When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
47. “There is this to be said for walking: it’s the one mode of human locomotion by which a man proceeds on his own two feet, upright, erect, as a man should be, not squatting on his rear haunches like a frog.” – Edward Abbey
More walking quotes and sayings
48. “My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-seven now, and we don’t know where the heck she is.” – Ellen DeGeneres
49. “But the beauty is in the walking, we are betrayed by destinations.” – Gwyn Thomas
50. “There comes… a longing never to travel again except on foot.” – Wendell Berry
51. “Walking in shoes is physical walking, but walking barefoot is spiritual walking!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
52. “Walking makes the world much bigger and therefore more interesting.” – Edward Abbey
53. “Walking is the desire for life.” – Jeffrey C. Robinson
54. “I am extremely happy walking on the downs…I like to have space to spread my mind out in.” – Virginia Woolf
55. “Take a walk outside – it will serve you far more than pacing around in your mind.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
56. “I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.” – Noel Coward
57. “Walking through darkness with thoughts full of colors.” – Prajakta Mhadnak
Which of these walking quotes is your favorite?
Look for times to schedule walks into your day. Getting away from and providing yourself time to think can be just the thing that you need to clear your head. And then, there are other times when it’s helpful to walk with a friend or loved one. It allows you to have a chance to talk and focus on nothing but the other person.
So whether you’re in a good mood and want a little exercise, stressed out and tired, or feeling overwhelmed, a good walk could be just the thing that you need in your day. Allow yourself the time to pull away and hit the pavement.
Did you enjoy these walking quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below.
May 28, 2020 7:41 AM EST