Find your motivation to get up and head out for a walk with these walking quotes.
Walking is one of the simplest forms of exercise and one that the majority of people are able to do.
And, the best part is, there are more than just physical benefits to exercise.
There are many mental and emotional benefits that come along with it as well.
Walking through nature also comes with added benefits.
You may also enjoy our article on:
It often helps people feel connected with nature and pull away from the world’s business.
And then in the quiet and calm, they’re able to reconnect with their thoughts.
Read the walking quotes below for some other great reminders about the benefits of walking.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Walking quotes about thinking and walking
1. “All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
You will also enjoy our article on Sports Quotes.
2. “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on farmer quotes.
3. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” – Abraham Lincoln
You will also enjoy our article on stoner quotes.
4. “Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” – Steven Wright
You will also enjoy our article on leg day quotes.
5. “Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow.” – Henry David Thoreau
Walking quotes about exercise and health
6. “Walking is the best possible exercise.” – Thomas Jefferson
7. “Walking is the favorite sport of the good and wise.” – A.L. Rowse
8. “I look my best when I’m totally free, on holiday, walking on the beach.” – Rosamund Pike
You will also enjoy our article on savage quotes.
9. “Walking gets the feet moving, the blood moving, the mind moving.” – Terri Guillemets
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
10. “Walking is cheap, fun, safe and acceptable exercise.” – Annie Taylor
11. “Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn’t formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.” – Lee Haney
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of exercise quotes to inspire long term thinking.
Walking quotes about the mental health benefits of walking
12. “The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.” – Jacqueline Schiff
13. “Walking brings me back to myself.” – Laurette Mortimer
You will also enjoy our article on rumi quotes.
14. “A morning walk sets us out on the right foot for the day.” – Terri Guillemets
You will also enjoy our article on wednesday quotes.
15. “When I’m in turmoil, when I can’t think, when I’m exhausted and afraid and feeling very, very alone, I go for walks. It’s just one of those things I do. I walk and I walk and sooner or later something comes to me, sometimes to make me feel less like jumping off a building.” – Jim Butcher
16. “If you are in a bad mood go for a walk. If you are still in a bad mood, go for another walk.” – Hippocrates
17. “A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” – Paul Dudley White
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
18. “We live in a fast-paced society. Walking slows us down.” – Robert Sweetgall
You will also enjoy our article on Fitness Motivational Quotes.
19. “A morning walk gives the body a chance to forgive the trails and tribulations of yesterday, to shed its rubbish and mental clutter.” – Terri Guillemets
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of feet quotes for stepping ahead in life.
Walking quotes to get you on your feet
20. “There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don’t allow yourself to become one of them.” – Ralph Marston
You will also enjoy our article on healthcare quotes.
21. “I love walking because it clears your mind, enriches the soul, takes away stress and opens up your eyes to a whole new world.” – Claudette Dudley
Don’t forget to also read these wise training quotes to inspire you towards personal development.
Walking quotes about nature
22. “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
23. “Walking shares with making and working that crucial.” – Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on nature quotes.
24. “The destiny of every walking man is to immerse himself in the panorama surrounding him, to the point of becoming one with it and, ultimately, to vanish.” – Federico Castigliano
You will also enjoy our article on mental health.
25. “Good walking leaves no track behind it.” – Laozi
You will also enjoy our article on mental health quotes.
26. “There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country. A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right temp. Even a bicycle goes too fast.” – Paul Scott Mowrer
27. “Walking… is how the body measures itself against the earth.” – Rebecca Sonit
Inspirational walking quotes
28. “He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
29. “My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.” – Aldous Huxley
30. “An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” – Henry David Thoreau
31. “Walking is the great adventure, the first meditation, a practice of heartiness and soul primary to humankind. Walking is the exact balance between spirit and humility.” – Gary Snyder
32. “When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep on walking.” – Michael Patrick King
33. “If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away.” – Iman
34. “After a day’s walk everything has twice its usual value.” – George Macauley Trevelyan
35. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” – Richard Branson
Insightful walking quotes
36. “Golf is a good walk spoiled.” – Mark Twain
37. “If I could not walk far and fast, I think I should explode and perish.” – Charles Dickens
38. “Walking is the natural recreation for a person who desires not absolutely to suppress his intellect but to turn it out to play for a season.” – Leslie Stephen
39. “If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” – Raymond Inmon
40. “A lone walker is both present and detached, more than an audience but less than a participant. Walking assuages or legitimizes this alienation.” – Rebecca Solnit
41. “Walking is pretty easy. You just have to be confident, like not caring. And honestly, people think about their walk too much, so they try to do something really interesting, but the designers hate it.” – Lucky Blue Smith
42. “Walk like you have three men walking behind you.” – Anonymous
43. Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ― William Blake
44. “The higher we are placed, the more humbly we should walk.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
45. “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” – Carrie Latet
46. “When you have worn out your shoes, the strength of the shoe leather has passed into the fiber of your body. I measure your health by the number of shoes and hats and clothes you have worn out.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
47. “There is this to be said for walking: it’s the one mode of human locomotion by which a man proceeds on his own two feet, upright, erect, as a man should be, not squatting on his rear haunches like a frog.” – Edward Abbey
More walking quotes and sayings
48. “My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She’s ninety-seven now, and we don’t know where the heck she is.” – Ellen DeGeneres
49. “But the beauty is in the walking, we are betrayed by destinations.” – Gwyn Thomas
50. “There comes… a longing never to travel again except on foot.” – Wendell Berry
51. “Walking in shoes is physical walking, but walking barefoot is spiritual walking!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
52. “Walking makes the world much bigger and therefore more interesting.” – Edward Abbey
53. “Walking is the desire for life.” – Jeffrey C. Robinson
54. I am extremely happy walking on the downs…I like to have space to spread my mind out in.” – Virginia Woolf
55. “Take a walk outside – it will serve you far more than pacing around in your mind.” – Rasheed Ogunlaru
56. “I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.” – Noel Coward
57. “Walking through darkness with thoughts full of colors.” – Prajakta Mhadnak
Motivational Walking Quotes to get You Walking
58. “Walking is man’s best medicine.” – Hippocrates
59. “Make your feet your friend.” – J.M. Barrie
60. “Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.” – Soren Kierkegaard
61. “Walks. The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird.” – Jules Renard
62. “Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot.” – Diane Spicer
63. “It is quite possible to leave your home for a walk in the early morning air and return a different person – beguiled, enchanted.” – Mary Ellen Chase
64. “This early piece of the morning is mine.” – Wallace Stegner
65. “Early morning exercise will keep you active for the entire day.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
66. “In the morning a man walks with his whole body; in the evening, only with his legs.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
67. “Morning is an important time of day, because how you spend your morning can often tell you what kind of day you are going to have.” – Lemony Snicket
Short Walking Quotes To Encourage Walking
68. “Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” — Thomas Mann
69. “A rainy day is the perfect time for a walk in the woods.” — Rachel Carson
70. “Take a quiet walk with Mother Nature. It will nurture your mind, body and soul.” — Antony Douglas Williams
71. “When you walk in the mountains or swim in the sea, again, you set yourself free.” — Jay Woodman
72. “It is not talking but walking that will bring us to heaven.” — Matthew Henry
73. “A walk in nature, walks the soul back home.” — Mary Davis
74. “Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake.” — Wallace Stevens
75. “To solve a problem, walk around.” — Gregory McNamee
76. “Walking is good for solving problems — it’s like the feet are little psychiatrists.” — Terri Guillemets
77. “Some people walk in the rain; others just get wet.” — Roger Miller
Walking Quotes To Inspire You To An Extra Mile
78. “Walking is the exact balance between spirit and humility.” — Gary Snyder
79. “I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees” — Henry David Thoreau
80. “You don’t walk to kill time but to welcome it, to pick off its leaves and petals one by one, second by second.” — Frédéric Gros
81. “If your walking inspires others a lot then you should walk a lot because the good you give to others will definitely come back to you!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
82. “The joy some people get from driving a flashy car is not even a hundredth of that some people get from walking for pleasure.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
83. “I have two doctors, my left leg and my right.” — G.M. Trevelyan
84. “Walking is a daily experience and a lifetime journey.” — Maxine Bigby Cunningham
85. “The sovereign invigorator of the body is exercise, and of all the exercises walking is the best.” — Thomas Jefferson
86. “Walking for health and fitness the easiest way to get in shape and stay in shape.” — Frank Ring
87.“Walking in the night is a great blessing for the wise souls who are deeply in love with the silence!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
Walking Quotes To Help Relax Your Mind
88. “Walking is good for all of us, and so is being outside.” — Lee Scott
89. “Walking is great for any fitness level. The great thing about walking is there is walking levels for every level of fitness. The benefits are immense.” — Zayne Mitchell
90. “Walking is good for your mental and emotional health as well; studies have shown that the simple act of walking is extremely effective for relieving stress and tension.” — Art Brownstein
91. “The reality is that simply going for a walk is not likely to clear depression but it might make some difference. If it clears it by ten percent, then it’s worth doing.” — John Crawford
92. “I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.” — John Muir
93. “Going for a walk is one of the pleasantest things in life.” — PROF. Shriniwas
94. “Walking and hiking, especially in an ancient wilderness, can heal the mind and body.” — Cindy Ross
95. “Twenty minutes’ walking will give you plenty of productive thinking time, lets you appreciate your surroundings and smell the air, and helps you put things into focus.” — Linda Bird
96. “My father was a great walker and it was natural that I learnt the habit of walking from him. He would say that walking, like any other physical activity, begins in the mind.” — Bob D’Costa
97. “Whether the pace is slow or fast, walking is good for everyone.” — Chelsea Austin
Walking Quotes To Help You Keep Fit
98. “Walking articulates both physical and mental freedom.” ― Rebecca Solnit
99. “If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.” ― Barack Obama
100. “I often talk to myself while walking down the street. I did it as a kid.” ― Chris O’Dowd
101. “Who fastest walks, but walks astray, Is only furthest from his way.” ― Matthew Prior
102. “As a diabetic, I’m a walking picnic. I have to eat measured amounts of food at certain times.” ― Elaine Stritch
103. “Despite the usual idea of a figure skater, I have no rhythm when it comes to even walking off the ice. I fall off curbs all the time.” ― Johnny Weir
104. “I feel like I’m playing more of a role walking down the red carpet than when I’m playing an ordinary woman covered in sweat.” ― Kate Winslet
105. “Walk and talk with humility, but be fearless like a lion!” ― Mwanandeke Kindembo
106. “It’s not the length of my stride. It’s the fact that I’m walking.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
107. “Going out for a walk is the most satisfying endeavour that one can implement in a day.” ― Vinod Varghese Antony
Walking Quotes To Refresh Your Mind
108. “All walking is discovery. On foot we take the time to see things whole.” ― Hal Borland
109. “Walking makes us take problems in our stride.” ― Andy Hargreaves
110. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
111. “Start walking and keep walking—and if you ever come near him again, I’ll break both your legs.” ― Aline MacMahon
112. “Walking is good for the soul.” ― Andy Rooney
113. “You can walk without going to someone.” ― Nancy Hopkins Reily
114. “Sitting or walking, the body must be held erect. To sit or stand otherwise is a sign of laziness.” ― Ghandiji
115. “As people are walking all the time, in the same spot, a path appears.” ― John Locke
116. “But in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” ― John Muir
117. “Do not ride if you can walk.” ― Ghandiji
Walking Quotes to Energize Your Journey
118. “Every walker is a guard on patrol to protect the ineffable.” ― Rebecca Solnit
119. “Walking is also an ambulation of mind.” ― Gretel Ehrlich
120. “For me optimism is two lovers walking into the sunset arm in arm. Or maybe into the sunrise – whatever appeals to you.” ― Krzysztof Kieslowski
121. “I do find walking is fundamental to my creative process.” ― Baz Luhrmann
122. “I do yoga, lunges, crunches, things like that for 40 minutes twice a week. For cardio I usually do the elliptical, treadmill or walking.” ― Martina McBride
123.”I don’t have the luxury of having a dog myself because I travel too much, but I love walking and cuddling somebody else’s dog.” ― Ingrid Newkirk
124. “I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, because a mind was made fo figure things out, not to read the same page recurrently.” ― Donald Miller
125. “He always did the leaving. But not this time. She kept walking, and did not look back.” ― Sarah Dessen
126. “I don’t even remember the season. I just remember walking between them and feeling for the first time that I belonged somewhere.” ― Stephen Chbosky
127. “Grammar is…the pole you grab to get your thoughts up on their feet and walking.” ― Stephen King
Walking Quotes for Peace and Meditation
128. I walk: I prefer walking.” ― Jane Austen
129. “I chuckled to myself and kept walking. The Universe had proven Curran wrong: a person who aggravated him more than me did, in fact, exist.” ― Ilona Andrews
130. “Let’s take a walk. You can show me some of your memories and I’ll show you some of mine.” ― Adam Berlin
131. “Leave the talking for others and live by walking. Go, go and go extra mile and you will be a true owner of what belongs to you.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
132. “Because the earth is walking in the space, even when we sit on the earth, we are still walking!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
133. “It is good to collect things, but it is better to go on walks.” ― Anatole France
134. “To understand the journey you have to do the walking.” ― Bryant McGill
135. “There is nothing healthier for a man than to walk on his own two legs.” ― José Saramago
136. “Walking’s a great way to create. The ideas seem to fall from the sky sometimes, and the fresh air is great too.” ― Kenneth G. Eade
Walking Quotes to Reconnect with Nature
137. “Walking is great for your heart. Dogs are great for your heart. Need I say more?” ― Carlyn Montes De Oca
138. “Walking is great for our spiritual well-being too. It is the fastest pace for noticing something enough to truly see it and appreciate it fully, not just with our eyes but with all our senses in the way that children do.” ― Christine Aroney-Sine
139. “There is no habit you will value so much as that of walking far without fatigue.” ― Thomas Jefferson
140. “Happy is the person who has acquired the love of walking for its own sake.” ― Willian Jacob Holland
141. I take brisk walks in the sunshine to invigorate my body and soul.” ― Louise Hay
142. “Yes, I do enjoy walking at night. The world’s a lot more to my liking then, not so loud, not so fast, not so crowded, and a great deal more mysterious.” ― Cornelia Funke
143. “To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and guidance of virtue.” ― Gautama Buddha
144. “The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
145. “Walking is great to be used as an exercise program.” ― Lee Haney
146. “Many exercise forms – aerobic, yoga, weights, walking and more – have been shown to benefit mood.” ― Andrew Weil
Walking Quotes About the Art of Walking
147. I favor parking a few miles from the office and walking to work. You get the benefit of exercise and besides it is easier to get a parking space.” ― Paul Dudley White
148. Think health, eat sparingly, exercise regularly, walk a lot, and think positively about yourself.” ― Norman Vincent Peale
149. Exercise will aid in the work of digestion. Take a walk after a meal; but no violent exercise after a full meal.” ― Ellen Gould White
150. “If you seek creative ideas go walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk.” ― Raymond Inmon
151. “The best way to lengthen out our days is to walk steadily and with a purpose.” ― Charles Dickens
152. “Shed your thoughts of being in a rut, and get out for an afternoon walk.” ― Andy Atticus
153. “When we walk into a grove of trees or under an open sky the magic of nature takes over and the heaviness of life lifts a little.” ― Natassia Cassinero
154. “I slow down when hiking. The rhythm of nature is more leisurely. The sun comes up, it moves across the sky, and you begin to synchronize to that rhythm.” ― John Mackey
155. “Jobs fill your pockets, but adventures fill your soul.” ― Jaime Lyn Beatty
156. “Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer.” ― John Muir
157. “Crowds most envy the lonely man who walks confidently as if he is walking with the great crowds!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
158. “Angels walk among us, Sometimes the only thing we may not see are the wings upon their backs.” ― Molly Friedenfeld
159. “Walking is not important; walking to the right direction, that is important!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
160. “I will rather walk alone in the light than to live in the dark.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
161. “The simplest secret of reaching any place is to start walking!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
162. “a walk is only a step away from a story, and every path tells.” ― Robert Macfarlane
163. “I always feel so sorry for women who don’t like to walk” ― Kate Chopin
164. “May the people walking in darkness see the dawn of a glorious light.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
165. “Try to pause each day and take a walk to view nature.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
Which of these walking quotes is your favorite?
Look for times to schedule walks into your day.
Getting away from and providing yourself time to think can be just the thing that you need to clear your head.
And then, there are other times when it’s helpful to walk with a friend or loved one.
It allows you to have a chance to talk and focus on nothing but the other person.
So whether you’re in a good mood and want a little exercise, stressed out and tired, or feeling overwhelmed, a good walk could be just the thing that you need in your day.
Allow yourself the time to pull away and hit the pavement.
Did you enjoy these walking quotes and sayings?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.