Are you finding it difficult to search for the top dharma quotes; if yes, we have something to share with you.
Here, we offer you a comprehensive list of the best dharma quotes.
You can share these quotes with friends and family via any social media platform.
Apart from the quotes, we have also explained dharma and various aspects associated with it.
If interested, please continue reading!
You may also enjoy these related quotes:
What is Meant by Dharma?
Dharma is derived from the Sanskrit word “Dhar” meaning “To Sustain” or “To Uphold”.
It is a fundamental concept found in Buddhism and Hinduism.
Dharma relates to the moral values and eternal principles governing the universe.
These rules also guide individuals while leading a harmonious and righteous life.
At its core, dharma is a representation of a moral law or inherent order.
It encompasses a wide range of principles, including:
- Ethical behavior
Types of Dharma
Below are the most prominent types of dharma:
- Cosmic Dharma
- Social Dharma
- Personal Dharma
Dharma goes beyond social and individual realms.
It is believed to be an underlying order which sustains the cosmos.
Drama embodies the interplay associated with the natural elements.
These include cycles of life and harmony among the creations.
Hence, it is imperative to align with the cosmic dharma.
Dharma also takes into account the collective responsibilities and duties of humans.
This helps with the harmonious functioning of the society.
It stresses principles such as:
- Respect for others
By upholding social dharma, it is possible to promote cooperation and harmony for society as a whole.
Each individual comes with a unique dharma, which reflects his/her innate skills, qualities, and responsibilities.
It involves a person’s obligations, moral code, and duties.
As a result, an individual can live in harmony with other human beings.
Dharma is also linked to spiritual enlightenment.
Aligning with dharma allows a person to leave behind ego-driven desires.
Through introspection, selfless actions, and spiritual practices, one can easily purify his/her mind.
It allows gaining insight into reality and makes it possible to create a deeper connection with the divine.
The Evolution of Dharma
Dharma is constantly evolving with time.
Also, societal changes have introduced some changes to the dharma.
It has adapted to the new contexts without compromising core principles.
Top 10 Dharma Quotes
Here are the top 10 Dharma quotes selected after in-depth research related to Dharma.
1. “See karma, make dharma.” — Gary Gach
2. “Dharma is an ancient word for truth.” — Frederick Lenz
3. “Everyone has a dharma or purpose in life.” — Deepak Chopra
4. “The Dharma is the truth that all natures are pure.” — Bodhidharma
5. “This is man’s dharma, man’s religion, and man’s self is the vessel.” — Rabindranath Tagore
6. “A monk is holy and great until he starts teaching you the real Dharma.” — Tsem Tulku
7. “Do not practice buddha-dharma with the thought that it is to benefit others.” — Dogen
8. “The dharma is here. And the dharma is in your heart. Where else would it be?” — Tenzin Palmo
9. “By the dharma is meant the heart, for there is no dharma apart from the heart.” — Huangbo Xiyun
10. “Today, society is sacrificing love, values, and dharma in its pursuit of materialistic gains.” — Mata Amritanandamayi
You will also enjoy our article on Jack Kornfield quotes.
Dharma Quotes That Define Dharma
After going through these quotes, you will know much about Dharma as they define Dharma.
11. “Dharma is upheld by living in harmony with it.” — Gautama Buddha
12. “The one who recognizes the uncertainty of phenomena is the Dharma within you.” — Ajahn Chah
13. “[Dharma] simply means that which is right, that which is correct, that which is the divine law.” — Frederick Lenz
14. “Know that the true dharma emerges of itself [during the practice of zazen], clearing away hindrances and distractions.” — Dogen
15. “Dharma is that which is enjoined by the holy books, followed by the sages, interpreted by the learned, and which appeals to the heart.” — Mahatma Gandhi
16. “The higher nature in man always seeks for something which transcends itself and yet is its deepest truth; which claims all its sacrifice, yet makes this sacrifice its own recompense.” — Rabindranath Tagore
17. “An immense many-sided many-staged provision for a spiritual self-building and self-finding, it had some right to speak of itself by the only name it knew, the eternal religion, Sanatana Dharma.” — Sri Aurobindo
18. “The # zodiac sign on the # Ascendant normally tells us much concerning the dharma of the individual – that is, the central potentiality which the person should seek consciously to actualize as a vessel or lens through which the Divine may act.” — Dane Rudhyar
19. “In Sanatan Dharma, or what is commonly called Hinduism, I discovered the basic truths of all religions in a way that the oneness of God and religion is comprehensively understood.” — Radhanath Swami
20. “According to this law [the law of Dharma], you have a unique talent and a unique way of expressing it. There is something that you can do better than anyone else in the whole world–and for every unique talent and unique expression of that talent, there are also unique needs.” — Deepak Chopra
Dharma Quotes About the Purposes of Dharma
The following quotes show some of the purposes of Dharma.
21. “If you are following the dharma no matter what you do, it is moral.” — Robert M. Pirsig
22. “The heart wants to go on; that is its dharma. For unless it moves, it dies.” — Rabindranath Tagore
23. “When you are following dharma, you will be happy, at peace, still inside. There will be a sense of purpose in your life..” — Frederick Lenz
24. “The masters only point the way. But if you meditate And follow the dharma, You will free yourself from desire.” — Gautama Buddha
25. “When you combine the ability to express your unique talent with service to humanity, then you make full use of the Law of Dharma.” — Deepak Chopra
26. “The purpose of dharma is to help your mind to expand, to grow, to clarify. It should uphold us and create an inner sense of peace, joy, and clarity.” — Tenzin Palmo
27. “No true Dharma Master behaves with rage, hate, ranting, self-importance. These are signs of mental instability, a character flaw.” — Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo
28. “For me, the protection of Planet Earth, the survival of all species, and the sustainability of our ecosystems is more than a mission. It is my religion and my dharma.” — Rajendra K. Pachauri
29. “If we want to eliminate bad qualities like hatred, envy, pride, and ostentation, we have to employ Sathya, Dharma, Santhi, and Prema and Ahimsa as the cleaning instruments.” — Sathya Sai Baba
30. “Too often in the West, we fail to realize that even in Eastern disciplines, the spiritual life is not meant as an escape from the worldly life. There is karma to be fulfilled on earth, within the dharma of necessity.” — James Hillman
Dharma Quotes About the Importance of Dharma
Let’s check out these quotes to understand the importance of Dharma in a better way.
31. “Hold fast to the Dharma as a refuge. Resort to no other refuge.” — Gautama Buddha
32. “Self-discovery essentially is finding your own dharma, your own rhythm.” — Frederick Lenz
33. “Those who see worldly life as an obstacle to Dharma see no Dharma in everyday actions.” — Dogen
34. “And I’m so excited to remind people and even gain new fans who find out about Dharma.” — Jenna Elfman
35. “Our ultimate dharma is self-realization. Thoughts and actions that support our spiritual evolution are real dharma.” — Mata Amritanandamayi
36. “Hindu Dharma is like a boundless ocean teeming with priceless gems. The deeper you dive, the more treasures you find.” — Mahatma Gandhi
37. “We have to transform those ordinary actions of our day into dharma practice because otherwise, nothing is going to move.” — Tenzin Palmo
38. “When we shout at the oak tree, the oak tree is not offended. When we praise the oak tree, it doesn’t raise its nose. We can learn the Dharma from the oak tree; therefore, the oak tree is part of our Dharmakaya.” — Nhat Hanh
39. “The person who understands Dharma will have the opposite reaction to a “hard” job. That person will be eager to get started, no matter what kind of work is in front of her, because she understands that she’s doing God’s work.” — Russell Simmons
40. “For a warrior, nothing is higher than a war against evil. The warrior confronted with such a war should be pleased, Arjuna, for it comes as an open gate to heaven. But if you do not participate in this battle against evil, you will incur sin, violating your dharma and your honor.” — Swami Vivekananda
Quotes On Spiritual Practice and Practising Dharma
Delve into the transformative power of spiritual practice and the profound significance of practicing dharma with these insightful quotes.
41. “Practicing Dharma is the supreme method for improving the quality of our human life.” — Geshe Kelsang Gyatso
42. “We are the pioneers of the Dharma. Let’s bow our heads in prayer and let us open our hearts.” — Harbhajan Singh Yogi
43. “The Dharma is a very, very special and precious thing. The more you practice it, the more you will realize this.” — Tenzin Palmo
44. “There’s something so sweet about being on your yoga mat, whether that be at Jivamukti, Dharma Mittra, or in my living room.” — Stephanie Ellis
45. “Now that you have the opportunity to practice dharma, do not waste a single moment on anything else.” — Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
46. “Naturally, to follow dharma, we have to find out what it is. You have to struggle with it. The answer will not come easily.” — Frederick Lenz
47.“It is the duty of all to support and side with Dharma. All must fight and support Dharma regardless of their personality, background, status.” — Swami Vivekananda
48. “Today, people live to work rather than work for a living. They have forgotten their true goal in life. Subsequently, they have forgotten their dharma.” — Mata Amritanandamayi
49. “The individuation of dharma practice occurs whenever priority is given to the resolution of a personal existential dilemma over the need to conform to the doctrines of a Buddhist orthodoxy.” — Stephen Batchelor
50. “If we see pride among people who have no idea about Dharma, it is understandable. However, if afflictive emotions and haughtiness are present among Dharma practitioners, it is a great disgrace to practice.” — Dalai Lama
Which One of these Dharma Quotes is your Favorite?
Dharma tends to be a guiding light that illuminates the path ahead.
It embarks us on a path that is right and ethical.
Dharma also plays a critical role when it comes to spiritual growth.
These aspects make dharma quotes more popular among the followers of Buddhism and Hinduism.
This is why we have created a list containing the best dharma quotes.
You just need to browse through the list and find your favorite dharma quote.
If you have found one, do share it with us via the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.