Looking for inspirational Dalai Lama quotes on how to live your best life?
The current Dalai Lama is the 14th Dalai Lama and also the longest-lived incumbent.
The Dalai Lama is the head of the monks in Tibetan Buddhism.
Dalai Lama quotes are full of inspiration and practical wisdom that can help people to change their lives.
The Dalai Lama always delivers tons of practical life lessons in his talks, interviews and how he leads by example.
But here, we will summarize 3.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
1. Live with an open heart.
When we are at peace with ourselves, with the world and with our relationships – we can be more open to ALL that life has to offer, both good and bad.
We don’t have to agree with everything or accept everything, to understand that this is just how it is at this moment in time.
Now, what can I do about it?
How can I play my role to the best of my ability?
2. The more compassionate you are, the happier you are.
Just like we said before with peace, compassion is a muscle that can also be developed.
It’s too easy, it takes no work, to judge ourselves, to judge others and to just be another critic.
It takes great strength to be empathetic and compassionate.
Compassionate people are leaders, influencers and overall happier people.
Practice compassion and see the wonders it will do for you, and for the people you interact with.
3. Put first things first, which is humanity.
Humanity is not something that comes in spite of business but is an essential part of business.
People often think that humanity and money are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but it doesn’t have to be that way.
We all have to play our part and lead by example and truly approach our product and services like they improve the quality of someone’s life.
When we stand behind our work at that level, the bottom line isn’t about dollars it’s about making someone’s life experience just a little bit better.
Which complete changes the complexion and consciousness of business
With that said, here are some of our favorite Dalai Lama quotes and Dalai Lama sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Inspirational Dalai Lama Quotes on compassion, life and love
1. “I defeat my enemies when I make them my friends.” ― Dalai Lama
2. “I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
3. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
4. “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.” – Dalai Lama
5. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” – Dalai Lama
6. “When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.” ― Dalai Lama
7. “Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.” ― Dalai Lama
8. “In the practice of tolerance, our enemy is the best teacher.” ― Dalai Lama
9. “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.” ― Dalai Lama
10. “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” ― Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes on happiness and spirituality
11. “When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways–either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
12. “If you can cultivate the right attitude, your enemies are your best spiritual teachers because their presence provides you with the opportunity to enhance and develop tolerance, patience and understanding.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
13. “We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
14. “If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.” – Dalai Lama
15. “The purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, but to create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of religious quotes from all over the world.
16. “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.” – Dalai Lama
17. “The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your actions will be.” – Dalai Lama
18. “Sometimes when I meet old friends, it reminds me how quickly time passes. And it makes me wonder if we’ve utilized our time properly or not. Proper utilization of time is so important. While we have this body, and especially this amazing human brain, I think every minute is something precious.
Our day-to-day existence is very much alive with hope, although there is no guarantee of our future. There is no guarantee that tomorrow at this time we will be here. But we are working for that purely on the basis of hope. So, we need to make the best use of our time.
I believe that the proper utilization of time is this: if you can, serve other people, other sentient beings. If not, at least refrain from harming them. I think that is the whole basis of my philosophy.
So, let us reflect what is truly of value in life, what gives meaning to our lives, and set our priorities on the basis of that. The purpose of our life needs to be positive. We weren’t born with the purpose of causing trouble, harming others.
For our life to be of value, I think we must develop basic good human qualities—warmth, kindness, compassion. Then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful—happier.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from the
19. “I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.
Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It is the ultimate source of success in life.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
20. “Happiness doesn’t always come from a pursuit. Sometimes it comes when we least expect it.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of the pursuit of happiness quotes that will make you smile.
Dalai Lama quotes to inspire you to never give up
21. “When life becomes too complicated and we feel overwhelmed, it’s often useful just to stand back and remind ourselves of our overall purpose, our overall goal.
When faced with a feeling of stagnation and confusion, it may be helpful to take an hour, an afternoon, or even several days to simply reflect on what it is that will truly bring us happiness, and then reset our priorities on the basis of that. This can put our life back in proper context, allow a fresh perspective, and enable us to see which direction to take.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of priority quotes that will help you clarify what’s important to you in your life.
22. “In general, if we carefully examine any given situation in a very unbiased and honest way, we will realize that to a large extent we are also responsible for the unfolding of events.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
23. “Is this what you have in mind,’ I asked the Dalai Lama, ‘when you say in teachings that the buddhas and bodhisattvas of the world are the most selfish beings of all, that by cultivating altruism they actually achieve ultimate happiness for themselves?’
Yes. That’s wise selfish,’ he replied. ‘Helping others not means we do this at our own expense. Not like this. Buddhas and bodhisattvas, these people very wise. All their lives they only want one thing: to achieve ultimate happiness. How to do this? By cultivating compassion, by cultivating altruism.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
24. “unless the direction of science is guided by a consciously ethical motivation, especially compassion, its effects may fail to bring benefit. They may indeed cause great harm.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
25. “So let us reflect on what is truly of value in life, what gives meaning to our lives, and set our priorities on the basis of that. The purpose of our life needs to be positive. We weren’t born with the purpose of causing trouble, harming others.
For our life to be of value, I think we must develop basic good human qualities-warmth, kindness, compassion. Then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful-happier.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
26. “Every human being has the same potential. Whatever makes you feel “I am worthless” is wrong. Absolutely wrong. You are deceiving yourself.
We all have the power of thought, so what could you possibly be lacking? If you have the willpower, then you can do anything.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
27. “The world has also learned that economic growth, by itself, cannot close the gap between rich and poor.” ― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
28. “If at the beginning and end of our lives we depend upon the kindness of others, why in the middle of our lives should we not act kindly toward them? It is the pragmatic choice.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
29. “Ultimately humanity is one, and this small planet is our only home. If we’re to protect this home of ours, each of us needs to experience a vivid sense of universal altruism and compassion.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
30. “If we analyze or dissect a flower, looking for the flower among its parts, we shall not find it … And yet, we cannot deny the existence of flowers and of their sweet scent.”
― Dalai Lama XIV quote from
Dalai Lama quotes about love and friendship
31. “We discover that all human beings are just like us, so we are able to relate to them more easily. That generates a spirit of friendship in which there is less need to hide what we feel or what we are doing.” ― Dalai Lama
32. “This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” – Dalai Lama
33. “It is lack of love for ourselves that inhibits our compassion toward others. If we make friends with ourselves, then there is no obstacle to opening our hearts and minds to others.” ― Dalai Lama
34. “Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend or a meaningful day.” ― Dalai Lama
35. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – Dalai Lama
36. “Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.” ― Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama quotes on how to live your best life
37. “If you can cultivate the right attitude, your enemies are your best spiritual teachers because their presence provides you with the opportunity to enhance and develop tolerance, patience and understanding.” – Dalai Lama
38. “The planet does not need more ‘successful people’. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds. It needs people to live well in their places. It needs people with moral courage willing to join the struggle to make the world habitable and humane and these qualities have little to do with success as our culture is the set.” – Dalai Lama
39. The purpose of life – Dalai Lama quote
“ONE GREAT QUESTION underlies our experience, whether we think about it consciously or not: What is the purpose of life? I have considered this question and would like to share my thoughts in the hope that they may be of direct, practical benefit to those who read them.
I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy. From the moment of birth, every human being wants happiness and does not want suffering. Neither social conditioning nor education nor ideology affect this. From the very core of our being, we simply desire contentment.
I don’t know whether the universe, with its countless galaxies, stars and planets, has a deeper meaning or not, but at the very least, it is clear that we humans who live on this earth face the task of making a happy life for ourselves. Therefore, it is important to discover what will bring about the greatest degree of happiness.” – Dalai Lama
40. “Look at situations from all angles, and you will become more open.” ― Dalai Lama
41. “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” ― Dalai Lama
42. “We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness.” ― Dalai Lama
43. “You have to start giving first and expect absolutely nothing.” ― Dalai Lama
44. “Never give up. No matter what is happening, no matter what is going on around you, never give up.” ― Dalai Lama
45. “Whether one believes in a religion or not, there isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” ― Dalai Lama
46. “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.” ― Dalai Lama XIV
47. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.” ― Dalai Lama
49. “Life can be pleasant or miserable. To lead a fruitful life, and to make it positive, practice analytical meditation.” ― Dalai Lama
50. “Certain desires are positive: a desire for happiness; for peace; for a more harmonious and friendlier world.” ― Dalai Lama
Other inspirational Dalai Lama quotes
51. “The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual’s own reason and critical analysis.” – Dalai Lama
52. “You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions.” – Dalai Lama
53. “Let us try to recognize the precious nature of each day.” – Dalai Lama
54. “The true hero is one who conquers his own anger and hatred.” – Dalai Lama
55. “The creatures that inhabit this earth-be they human beings or animals-are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world.” – Dalai Lama
56. “An open heart is an open mind.” – Dalai Lama
57. “The way to change others’ minds is with affection, and not anger.” ― Dalai Lama
58. “As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all Beings.” – Dalai Lama
59. “Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. This is not just a dream, but a necessity.” ― Dalai Lama
60. “My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.” – Dalai Lama
For more inspiration, check out these empathy quotes that will encourage you to display it often.
Thought-provoking Dalai Lama quotes
61. “Love is the absence of judgment.” – Dalai Lama
62. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” – Dalai Lama
63. “Silence is sometimes the best answer.” – Dalai Lama
64. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” – Dalai Lama
65. “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” – Dalai Lama
66. “Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.” – Dalai Lama
67. “We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.” – Dalai Lama
68. “Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek.” – Dalai Lama
69. “All suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their own happiness or satisfaction.” – Dalai Lama
70. “When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.” – Dalai Lama
More Dalai Lama quotes and sayings
71. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.” – Dalai Lama
72. “A truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change even if they behave negatively or hurt you.” – Dalai Lama
73. “Compassion is the radicalism of our time.” – Dalai Lama
74. “Love and Compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.” – Dalai Lama
75. “Someone else’s action should not determine your response.” – Dalai Lama
76. “Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures.” – Dalai Lama
77. “Generosity is the most natural outward expression of an inner attitude of compassion and loving-kindness.” – Dalai Lama
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of generosity quotes that inspire happiness.
78. “Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering.” – Dalai Lama XIV
79. “A simple smile. That’s the start of opening your heart and being compassionate to others.” – Dalai Lama
80. “Compassion is a mind wishing that sentient beings be free from suffering, and loving-kindness is a mind wishing that they meet with happiness.” – Dalai Lama
Which Dalai Lama quotes were your favorite?
The current Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel peace prize in 1989 and has traveled around the world spreading his teachings on different issues that affect society such as anti-violence ideology, women’s rights, sexuality and the environment.
The Dalai Lama is known for his sage wisdom and his quotes teach important life lessons.
Hopefully, this collection of Dalai Lama quotes has inspired you to live your best life.
Did we miss any?
Share more Dalai Lama quotes in the comment section.
Also, feel free to share with your friends, fans and other loved ones.
June 29, 2022 5:00 AM EST