If you are on the rebound, looking for new love, or just interested in relationships, we have the best ex-girlfriend quotes.
Our ex-girlfriend quotes are perfect for anyone who wants to know about the nuances of ending a romantic relationship.
What is an ex-girlfriend?
An ex-girlfriend or an ex-boyfriend is a former partner, romantic connection, or love interest no longer with their partner.
Check out these cool facts about ex-girlfriends and relationships below:
- 85% of people say they regularly check the social media pages of their ex.
- Researchers found that talking trash about a breakup lowered depression rates.
- Scientific data suggests men move on from relationships quicker than women do.
Why do people break up?
Whenever a romantic relationship ends, it is natural for people to focus on the circumstances of the breakup.
While this is common, what happened in the last few weeks or months do not always explain why a relationship ends.
Many psychologists suggest that most relationship trouble stems from events that occur in our childhood.
The relationship usually serves as a trigger for unhealed wounds and a lack of emotional maturity.
Divorce rates are higher than ever and are beginning to creep past the previous 50% mark.
Now, over 50% of marriages end up in divorce.
Some may look at this data and conclude that people just make poor choices when choosing a partner.
Others understand that this phenomenon suggests that a large population has unhealed or uncharted psychological issues that make long-term relationships difficult.
Everyone’s experience is different, and how they choose to navigate their relationship status change will be based on their emotional maturity and needs.
Do exes get back together?
The short answer here is yes; exes do get back together.
Current survey data suggests that up to 70% of people who break up get back together at least one more time.
However, a lot depends on the circumstances of the relationship.
Young people have more energy, higher mate values, and more active hormones.
Young people are less likely to revisit an old flame because they have time to invest in new relationships.
Middle-aged and older people are a little bit different.
Older people have less time and energy, so they are likelier to hold on to a relationship and work things out.
Perhaps this explains why people over fifty are more likely to accept an ex-partner back into their lives.
Check out our ex-girlfriend quotes below!
Short ex-girlfriend quotes that will make you chuckle
The ability to laugh at ourselves is essential when looking at the past.
These quotes remind us to smile and maintain our sense of humor.
1. “You’re still my person, even if I’m not yours.” — Grey’s Anatomy
2. “All we shared was a mattress, and a lie, and an address.” — Billy Talent
3. “I got caught kissing my dad’s ex-girlfriend – at his wedding!” — Lee Ryan
4. “I think it’s cool when an ex-girlfriend becomes an XL girlfriend.” — Demetri Martin
5. “I can always get better. A lot of my ex-girlfriends don’t think I’m funny.” — Dane Cook
6. “Being alone is scary, but not as scary as feeling alone in a relationship.” — Amelia Earhart
7. “Dating an ex is the equivalent of failing a test you already had the answers to.” — Kendrick Cole
8. “Currently, I’m not a crazy ex-girlfriend, but I can’t promise I won’t be one again.” — Miranda Lambert
9. “Whoever said, “Don’t regret what once made you smile” never went out with my Ex.” ― Nitya Prakash
10. “I’ve spent the past two years looking for my ex-girlfriend’s killer, but no one will do it.” — Anthony Jeselnik
Ex-girlfriend quotes about not staying in the past
Ending romantic relationships can be difficult, but remember, when we let go of what no longer fits, we make room for what belongs.
11. “When your ex says, You’ll never find anyone like me. Say that’s the point.” — Drake
12. “We are all trying to get over the person who broke our hearts. We are all far from perfect.” — Alex Rosa
13. “One day, your kids will ask you “What is love?” And you will look at your spouse and remember your ex.” — Nitya Prakash
14. “I ask a lot because I’m very curious – especially about ex-girlfriends. I’m pretty good at getting the answers, too.” — Brittany Murphy
15. “Sometimes a woman will look back on what she had, not because she wants to go there but to motivate her to do better.” — Reuben Holmes II
16. “I don’t think much about guys from the past. I’m glad I knew them, but there’s a reason they didn’t make it into my future.” — Lorraine Rosenthal
17. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone, but that does not always mean they are supposed to get it back.” — Stephan Labossiere
18. “When we are in love, we are convinced nobody else will do. But as time goes, others do do, and often do do, much much better.” — Jamie Weise
19. “The best revenge you can get on your ex is to move on and let them see you happy with someone that treats you better than they did.” — Sonya Parker
20. “You can always evaluate a man’s character by the way he speaks about his ex-girlfriends and other women. When entering a new relationship or getting close with a new guy, make sure you take notice of the language he uses when referring to other girls.” — Miya Yamanouchi
The best missing an ex-girlfriend quotes about moving on in life
Sometimes when we move on, we still miss what we had.
Other times, we know we must move on and go far away from what we had.
21. “When did the government become our psycho ex-girlfriend” — Jay Leno
22. “And you’re wasted with your ladies. Yeah, I’m the reason why you always getting faded.” — Drake
23. “I cried when my ex-girlfriend sent me a text message saying how much she liked my present to her.” — Tao Lin
24. “My ex-girlfriend owned a parakeet…oh my god, that f**king thing would never shut up. But the bird was cool.” — Anthony Jeselnik
25. “I think my ex-girlfriend has weekly lessons with the devil on how to be more evil. I don’t know what she charges him.” — Emo Philips
26. “I left my parent’s home when I was 22; I moved to New York with my ex-girlfriend. We did a film together with Raul Julia.” — Demian Bichir
27. “I’ve been insane for a long time. An ex-girlfriend of mine once asked, ‘Is it true that all comedians are depressed?’ And I said, ‘Everyone I know is.’” — Jason Gann
28. “It’s fun to branch out a bit. I feel like I’ve held a lot of tricks up my sleeve for a lot of years, and ‘Ex-Girlfriends’ is a good way to show another side of me.” — Jennifer Carpenter
29. “My ex-girlfriend was very sexy. She reminded me of the Sphinx because she was very mysterious and eternal and solid, and her nose was shot off by French soldiers.” — Emo Philips
30. “President Obama is in China. Also in China is evil Russian dictator Vladimir Putin. They’re both in China at the same time. It’s like running into your ex-girlfriend on vacation.” — David Letterman
The best ex-girlfriend quotes about leaving an ex-lover
An ex becomes an ex because they reveal an aspect of themselves that does not resonate with the other partner.
These quotes remind us why sometimes we must close the door and keep going.
31. “Should’ve thought of that before you told my ex-girlfriend I eat live kittens for breakfast.” — Nalini Singh
32. “I’m British, actually, so quite bad at expressing myself in conversation, as any ex-girlfriend will tell you.” — James Blunt
33. “‘X’ is also a metaphor, as in ‘ex-girlfriend’: it implies you’re progressing and moving on in life, not holding on to the past and your old ways.” — Chris Brown
34. “An ex-girlfriend once got upset when I told her that music is the most important thing in my life. It’s more important than anyone else could ever be.” — Ben Gibbard
35. “What are you gonna say?” Emma asked. “‘I’m not sure I want you back, but I’m sure I don’t want your ex-con ex-girlfriend to have you, either.’” — Rachel Vincent
Funny ex-girlfriend quotes
Here are some various quotes involving ex-girlfriends that are pretty funny.
36. “I did an interview once where I was asked who I found attractive, and I went on about cartoons and Nala from The Lion King – and it’s a bit weird, but various of my ex-girlfriends actually did look like Nala.” — Eddie Redmayne
37. “I went to see ‘I Am Legend’ with an ex-girlfriend the other day, and I immediately realized it was a zombie movie! You know what I mean? There are certain rules, and those rules are things that you’ve seen many times.” — Michel Gondry
38. “I always used to say to my ex-girlfriends that I could never take a good photograph of them because there was too much of an intimacy between us, but actually, the real thing is, if there’s a proper intimacy between you. I find it really compelling and exciting – it’s quite good foreplay.” — Rankin
39. “Get away from my ex-girlfriend, you moany little whinge-bag.’ Caelen took a deep breath, like he was in pain, and stood up. His voice was low, guttural. ‘I was hoping I’d get the chance to kill you.’ ‘You won’t be killing anyone, you sad little emo git.’ ‘You’ve stood in the way of our love for long enough.’ ‘Just listening to you makes me want to top myself, you self-pitying Paranormal Romance novel reject.’” — Derek Landy
39. “When one is undone-sprawled across the cold tile of a public bathroom in a pool of one’s own vomit, or shivering in the back of a taxi in a pair of urine-soaked skinny jeans with no money for cab fare and a dead cell phone battery-much like a wobbly toddler or an unhinged politician, one immediately looks for someone else to blame. God. Your parents. Ex-girlfriends.” — Aisha Tyler
Ex-girlfriend quotes for people who still respect their ex
Although relationships don’t always work out, respecting and admiring your former partners is possible.
41. “I don’t like when performers rag on their ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend in absentia. If they’re not there, it just feels rude.” — David Rees
42. “Ex-girlfriends will find themselves in my new routine. Sometimes they like that, and sometimes they definitely do not.” — Dane Cook
43. “I have all my ex-girlfriends lumped into one big girlfriend I called M.A.N.D.Y.: My, Another Neurotic Disappointment? Yes.” — Dana Gould
44. “I’m not known for having great relationships with ex-girlfriends, but I’ve been able to continue one with (Gwyneth Paltrow) that’s really valuable.” — Ben Affleck
45. “For me, I still have feelings for all of my ex-girlfriends. In different parts of my life, I would miss that person. There’s something that drew me to that person, and I shared something with them.” — Miles Teller
More ex-girlfriend quotes
Here are a few various quotes about ex-girlfriends.
45. “But if there was a protocol for how to say goodbye to your newly ex-boyfriend’s brother right after you kissed him and probably sent your ex into the arms of his willing ex-girlfriend, I didn’t know what it was.” — Rachel Vincent
46. “I’m really only capable of two emotions at this point: lust and hunger. I lost revenge a few years back, and even then, it was reserved only for ex-girlfriends and particular football games that caused me to lose a lot of money.” — Jason Mulgrew
48. “Dash is for sure straight!” Boomer announced. “He has a super-pretty ex-girlfriend named Sofia, who I think he still has a thing for, and also, in seventh grade, there was a game of spin the bottle, and it was my turn, and I spun, and it landed at Dash, but he wouldn’t let me kiss him.” — David Levithan
37. “I don’t think I believe in ghosts, per se. But, my nearest experience was when I went on a weekend away and was in a bar in England years ago with an ex-girlfriend. I heard this scratching. I was about to go to bed, and I was thinking, ‘It’s an old ghost.’ I could hear this noise, but I couldn’t work out where it was coming from.” — Theo James
49. “For example, you can go on all the pro-life chat rooms and say you’re an outraged right-wing voter and that you know that George Bush drove an ex-girlfriend to an abortion clinic and paid for her to get an abortion. Then you go to an anti-immigration website chat room and ask, “What’s all this about George Bush proposing amnesty for illegal aliens?” — Moby
Everyone is someone’s ex
It is a sobering thought, but most people have been in a relationship and are someone’s ex.
People break up for all sorts of reasons.
Relationships end for many reasons, and each is unique to the relationship.
Yet, the data behind why people break up is revealing.
In The United States, the most popular reasons people end relationships are excessive drug/alcohol use, lying, financial instability, and cheating.
Oddly enough, when considering getting back together with an ex, those same items were things people were willing to overlook.
When asked what they could not overlook when considering taking back an ex, physical violence, different long-term goals, and attractiveness were the main aspects.
No longer finding a partner attractive was the number one thing people could not look past when considering rekindling the flame.
This tells us that people value attraction more than other relationship aspects.
What do you think is the best course of action to take when dealing with an ex?
Do you have a favorite ex-girlfriend quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comment section below.