These Foghorn Leghorn quotes will take you back to watching Looney Tunes as a kid!
I do declare, Foghorn Leghorn, might be the world’s most recognizable cartoon rooster.
He appeared in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons and films by Warner Bros.
If you are wondering what things Foghorn Leghorn used to say, you might remember a lot of his sayings included the words “I say.”
This would usually follow the first word of the quote, or happen when he would start a word.
Foghorn Leghorn also had a lot to say about “That Boy” and “That Dog.”
That boy is Henery Hawk, who Foghorn refers to as ‘son.’
He sees himself as the younger bird’s mentor and father figure.
That dog is referred to as Barnyard Dawg, with whom Foghorn has an ongoing prank war.
No one knows how the feud started, but Foghorn is always the instigator, with Barnyard Dawg retaliating.
Barnyard Dawg also calls Foghorn “Foggy” in an attempt to annoy him further.
Enjoy these Foghorn Leghorn quotes and sayings!
Don’t forget to also check out these Daffy Duck quotes from a Looney Tunes favorite.
“I say,” Foghorn Leghorn quotes
1. “Now, that, I say, that’s no way for a kid to be wastin’ his time, readin’ that long-haired gobbledygook.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
2. “She remi…, I say, she reminds me of Paul Revere’s ride, a little light in the belfry.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
3. “Now, what, I say, what’s the big idea bashin’ me on the noggin’ with a rollin’ pin!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
4. “Go, I say, go away boy; you bother me.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
5. “You’re way off, I say, you’re way off this time, son!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
6. “I say, boy, pay attention when I’m talkin’ to ya, boy.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
7. “What in the, I say, what in the name of Jesse James do you suppose that is?” ― Foghorn Leghorn
8. “Hmmm, bare, I say, bare as a cooch dancer’s midriff.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
9. “That’s what I’ve been, I say, that’s what I’ve been telling you, boy!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
10. “That, I say, that boy’s just like a tattoo, gets under your skin.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
11. “Stop, I say, stop it boy, you’re doin’ a lot of choppin’ but no chips are flyin’.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
12. “I got, I say, I got this boy as fidgety as a bubble dancer with a slow leak.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
13. “You know there might, I say, there just might be a market for bottled duck.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
14. “Now who’s, I say, who’s responsible for this unwarranted attack on my person!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
15. “Now, what, I say, what’s the big idea bashin’ me in the bazooka that-a-way boy!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
‘It’s a joke,’ and other Foghorn Leghorn quotes that will make you laugh
16. “That’s a joke, I say, that’s a joke, son.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
17. “That woman’s as cold as a nudist on an iceberg.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
18. “I made a funny son and you’re not laughin’!” ― Foghorn Leghorn
19. “His muscles are as soggy as a used tea bag.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
20. “Kid don’t quit talkin’ so much he’ll get his tongue sunburned.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
21. “Hey boy, what’s the idea jackin’ that pot up under me? Jack? Pot? Ahuh, huh… jackpot, that’s a joke son, don’t ya get it?” ― Foghorn Leghorn
22. “The snow, I say, the snow’s so deep the farmers have to jack up the cows so they can milk’em.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
23. “This is going to cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
24. “What’s, I say, what’s the big idea wrappin’ a lariat around my Adam’s apple.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
25. “Pay attention to me, boy! I’m not just talkin’ to hear my head roar.” ― Foghorn Leghorn
Which of these Foghorn Leghorn quotes is your favorite?
Robert McKimson and writer Warren Foster created Foghorn Leghorn during ‘the golden age of American animation.’
He starred in 29 cartoons, all directed by McKimson, until 1964.
Mel Blanc was the original creator of Foghorn’s iconic southern voice.
The character was later performed by Jeff Bergman, Joe Alaskey, Bill Farmer, Greg Burson, Jeff Bennett, and Frank Gorshin.
McKimson drew inspiration for Foghorn Leghorn’s character from a popular 1940s radio show.
Senator Claghorn was a fictional, blustery Southern politician portrayed by Kenny Delmar.
In fact, many of Foghorn’s iconic catchphrases belonged to Claghorn first, including “I say” and “That’s a joke, son!”
Claghorn wasn’t the only radio performer Foghorn’s creators drew inspiration from.
The Sheriff, a radio character from the 1930s, was hard of hearing.
Foghorn’s voice is modeled off of his speech patterns.
The character’s accent is also reminiscent of another cartoon icon, voiced by Mel Blanc, Yosemite Sam.
Did these Foghorn Leghorn quotes and sayings take you back to your childhood?
You can share more of your favorite Foghorn Leghorn quotes with us in the comment section below!
August 11, 2022 5:00 AM EST