Please take a moment to look at our glasses quotes.
Glasses have been an essential technology for humanity, and we have the glasses quotes that prove it.
Who invented glasses?
It is unclear who invented the first glasses.
Egyptians and Romans used small magnifying glasses to enhance their ability to read text.
Check out these interesting facts about glasses:
- It takes about a week for the eyes to adjust to new glasses
- 37% of glasses wearers own two pairs.
- Wearing someone else’s glasses does not damage your eyes but can cause headaches.
The British poet Alexander Pope once said, “The greatest magnifying glasses in the world are a man’s own eyes when they look upon his own person.”
Glasses have been helping us see clearer for a long time.
The first recorded example of glasses comes from the early 13th century in Italy.
They set these primitive lenses onto leather or sometimes wooden frames.
Monks were the first group to make wearing these glasses popular.
Glasses were only available to the wealthy and were considered a significant status symbol.
The quality of glasses improved significantly by the time the European Renaissance occurred.
Artists depicted scholars in paintings wearing glasses in early Renaissance paintings.
Today, glasses are widely available for the masses.
Glasses are not immune from stereotypes.
A common stereotype is that people with glasses are more intelligent; this is a myth.
Glasses impact our vision, not our intelligence.
People often wear glasses because they read a lot.
Reading increases our intelligence, so one could make a case for glasses making us smarter.
If you want to learn more about glasses, feast your eyes on our glasses quotes below.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of eyes quotes that will open yours to the windows of the soul.
Short glasses quotes
These glasses quotes get straight to the point.
1. “May we always see life through love—colored glasses.” — Kamand Kojouri
2. “Being sick feels like you’re wearing someone else’s glasses.” — Megan Boyle
3. “The moon is like a bar; we all fill our glasses the way we can.” — M. F. Moonzajer
4. “Don’t call the world dirty because you forgot to clean your glasses.” — Aaron Hill
5. “People have a tendency to see country life through rose-colored glasses.” — P. J. Harvey
6. “People really give you a hard time when you wear fake glasses out to a bar.” — Ryan Eggold
7. “You know, anyone who wears glasses, in one sense or another, is a cyborg.” — Evgeny Morozov
8. “Sometimes you’ve got to put your realistic glasses on and see who you are.” — Will Muschamp
9. “Do not expect the world to look bright if you habitually wear gray-brown glasses.” — Charles William Eliot
10. “People who wear glasses, without them, they always look unfocused, vulnerable. Out in the open.” — Lee Child
Inspirational glasses quotes
These quotes remind us how awesome glasses are.
11. “Girls with glasses aren’t happy being nomads; they need a safe place to put their glasses while they sleep.” — Marissa Walsh
12. “The greatest magnifying glasses in the world are a man’s own eyes when they look upon his own person.” — Alexander Pope
13. “It never gets old watching someone receive their first pair of glasses and regain their vision and their life.” — Neil Blumenthal
14. “Putting on a new pair of glasses or sunglasses is a simple way to completely transform your look — just like a new hairstyle.” — Brad Goreski
15. “When people think about computer science, they imagine people with pocket protectors and thick glasses who code all night.” — Marissa Mayer
16. “A simple, well—proven surgery can restore sight to millions, and something even simpler, a pair of glasses, can make millions more see.” — Thulasiraj Ravilla
17. “Women have served all these centuries as looking glasses possessing the power of reflecting the figure of man at twice its natural size.” — Virginia Woolf
18. “12% of people with glasses wear them as an attempt to see better. 88% of people with glasses wear them as an attempt to appear smarter.” — Mokokoma Mokhonoana
19. “If you had weak eyes, they needed exercises to get strong. Glasses were like crutches. They prevented people with feeble eyes from seeing the world on their own.” — Jeannette Walls
20. “Everybody comes with prejudices, colored glasses on their eyes. Then they see everything colored according to their glasses. Yes, a few people come just like you, unprejudiced, without any idea gathered from yellow journalism.” — Osho
Glasses quotes about their history
These quotes from novels celebrate glasses.
21. “Your glasses won’t help you to see into the future” — Tamerlan Kuzgov
22. “Love at first sight? Let me just put on my glasses.” — Ljupka Cvetanova
23. “People who look good in glasses mustn’t die. And you look wonderful in glasses.” — Torii Nagomu
24. “Shaun, get your sister her glasses. She looks naked without them. It’s creeping me out.” — Mira Grant, Feed
25. “We’ve reached the age where we can’t function without our glasses. Especially if they’re empty.” — Nitya Prakash
26. “My doggie don’t wear glasses / so they’re lying when they say / a dog looks like its owner aren’t they.” — John Hegley
27. “A celebrity is a person who works hard all of their life to become well known, and then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.” — Fred Allen
28. “She should probably get glasses, probably should’ve gotten glasses a long time ago. She would never tell anyone this, but she enjoys the distance being a blur.” ― Tommy Orange
29. “All of life seems to me a strange dream about losing things you never had to begin with. About trying to find your glasses when you can’t see because you don’t have your glasses on.” — Lorrie Moore
Insightful glasses quotes
We all have to get our glasses fixed at some point.
30. “The one thing in the world that I can’t do without is my glasses.” — Lucy Bronze
31. “Don’t call the world dirty because you forgot to clean your glasses.” — Aaron Hill
32. “I was walking down the street wearing glasses when the prescription ran out.” — Steven Wright
33. “Sometimes you’ve got to put your realistic glasses on and see who you are.” — Will Muschamp
34. “My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn’t need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle.” — Henny Youngman
35. “I’m tall, fat, rather bald, red-faced, double-chinned, black-haired, have a deep voice, and wear glasses for reading.” — C. S. Lewis
36. “It was probably the stupid glasses. How were you supposed to see anything wearing mirrored sunglasses underground?” — Eoin Colfer
37. “My glasses say a lot about me because I think me in a pair of sunglasses is an image that a lot of people would recognize.” — Victoria Beckham
38. “Putting on a new pair of glasses or sunglasses is a simple way to completely transform your look — just like a new hairstyle.” — Brad Goreski
39. “There are places you go, and they say, ‘Take off your dark glasses so we can see your beautiful blue eyes.’ And you just want to; you just want to, I dunno, um, thump them.” — Paul Newman
Glasses quotes to inspire and teach
It feels good to take off our glasses after a long read.
40. “I get to see life through rose-colored glasses a lot of the time.” — Usher
41. “Every day is great for me. I dislike rose-colored glasses.” — Mark E. Smith
42. “Glasses, earrings, rings, sneakers. I love every little accessory.” — J Balvin
43. “A secret talent or hobby… Hmm… I weirdly collect shot glasses.” — Austin Mahone
44. “It’s so ironic — when you finally achieve recognition, you hide behind dark glasses.” — Madhuri Dixit
45. “I’m too short-sighted, too squeamish for contact lenses, and too vain for glasses.” — Victoria Coren Mitchell
46. “I can honestly say I love getting older. Then again, I never put my glasses on before looking in the mirror.” — Cherie Lunghi
47. “I think hearts are very much like glasses. If they do not break with the first ring, they usually last a considerable time.” — Letitia Elizabeth Landon
48. “In the eighties, I wore these glasses because I was trying to look like a square to outsmart the po-po, you feel me? It was what we call ‘throw-off methods.’ So I wear little glasses.” — E—40
49. “I’ve earned every wrinkle on my face. I actually like my wrinkles. And guess what? There are a lot of 60—year—old men who have wrinkles, no hair, glasses, and nobody gives a damn.” — Doris Burke
50. “At some point in every person’s life, you will need an assisted medical device — whether it’s your glasses, your contacts, or as you age and you have a hip replacement or a knee replacement or a pacemaker. The prosthetic generation is all around us.” — Aimee Mullins
Clear vision matters
Glasses have been around for centuries, but how much has vision support changed over time?
Glasses technology has remained stagnant for centuries since its creation.
The first wearable eyeglasses prescribed for hyperopia and perched on the bridge of the nose got their design from Salvinio D’Armate.
During the 1700s, glasses became hands—free, and frames began to extend behind the ear for support.
Before that, they either sat on the top of the nose or were held in place by hand.
Chinese designers innovated sunglasses during the 12th century.
People did not use them for protection from the sun.
Instead, people wore them to obscure judges’ eyes during court so no one could determine their expressions.
Modern sunglasses were invented in 1929 by Sam Foster, who made them utilizing a filter and sold them to the public in an Atlantic City Woolworths.
Almost two—thirds of the US adult population wears glasses.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these glasses quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comment section below.
December 25, 2022 7:08 AM EST