35 Greed Quotes to Curb Any Selfish Tendencies
March 20, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Has greed been creeping into areas of your life?
This collection of insightful greed quotes will help you curb any selfish tendencies.
Greed is defined as a person’s intense and selfish desire for something.
This something is most often money, power, or food.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study by the University of California, Berkeley, found that greed can lead to unethical behavior, such as lying, cheating, and stealing, as individuals prioritize their own self-interest over the needs of others.
This highlights the negative consequences of allowing greed to drive decision-making and behavior.
How does the feeling of always wanting more and being greedy affect people?
It is important to realize that the effects of greed are rooted deeply in our emotions since wealth and security aren’t a bad thing by themselves.
We all probably think we could use a little more money, and that doesn’t make us terrible people.
Greed becomes a problem when you have enough and are willing to do nearly anything to achieve even more.
Philosophers, writers, politicians, and nearly everyone in between has something to say on the matter of greed.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking greed quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
More greed quotes to contemplate on
A study by the University of Notre Dame found that individuals who prioritize money and material possessions over relationships and experiences are more likely to experience loneliness and social isolation.
This highlights the importance of valuing connections with others over accumulating wealth.
1. “Greed is normally balanced by fear.” ― Peter Schiff
2. “Greed’s worst point is its ingratitude.” — Seneca the Younger
You will also enjoy our article on ungrateful quotes.
3. “Lust and greed are more gullible than innocence.” ― Mason Cooley
You will also enjoy our article on arrogant quotes.
4. “Ignorance, hatred and greed are killing nature.” — Masanobu Fukuoka
You will also enjoy our article on corruption quotes.
5. “Greed is the assumption that it is all for my consumption.” — Andy Stanley
You will also enjoy our article on wolf of wall street quotes.
6. “A healthy desire for wealth is not greed. It’s a desire for life.” ― Jen Sincero
ou will also enjoy our article on macbeth quotes.
7. “If your desires be endless, your cares and fears will be so too.” ― Thomas Fuller
You will also enjoy our article on injustice quotes.
8. “Our labor preserves us from three great evils — weariness, vice, and want.” ― Voltaire
You will also enjoy our article on selfish people quotes.
9. “Greed is the inventor of injustice as well as the current enforcer.” ― Julian Casablancas
You will also enjoy our article on fire quotes.
10. “From the first day to this, sheer greed was the driving spirit of civilization.” ― Friedrich Engels
Greed quotes from philosophers
According to research by the University of Zurich, greed can lead to reduced empathy and compassion for others, as individuals become more focused on their own self-interest and less concerned with the well-being of others.
This highlights the potential harm that greed can cause to individuals and society at large.
11. “You have succeeded in life when all you really WANT is only what you really NEED.” ― Vernon Howard
You will also enjoy our article on materialistic quotes.
12. “Do not follow vain desires; for verily he who prospers is preserved from lust, greed and anger.” ― Abu Bakr
You will also enjoy our article on inspirational labor day quotes.
13. “The Master said, “The gentleman understands what is right, whereas the petty man understands profit.” ― Confucius
You will also enjoy our article on wu tang quotes.
14. “We shall have to practise to lead our life on the basis of our needs, not under the influence of our greed.” ― Lobsang Tenzin
You will also enjoy our article on tupac quotes.
15. “Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.” — Erich Fromm
16. “The Master said, “If your conduct is determined solely by considerations of profit you will arouse great resentment.”― Confucius
17. “There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.” ― Siddharta Gautama
18. “Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.” ― Erich Fromm
19. “The Master said, “A true gentleman is one who has set his heart upon the Way. A fellow who is ashamed merely of shabby clothing or modest meals is not even worth conversing with.” ― Confucius
Quotes about greed from authors
20. “The lack of money is the root of all evil.” ― Mark Twain
21. “There is a very fine line between loving life and being greedy for it.” ― Maya Angelou
22. “He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” ― Socrates
23. “It didn’t occur to me until later that there´s another truth, very simple: greed in a good cause is still greed.” ― Stephen King
24. “Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing.” ― Sylvia Plath
25. “There are three wants which can never be satisfied: that of the rich, who wants something more; that of the sick, who wants something different; and that of the traveler, who says, “Anywhere but here”” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Greed quotes than make you not envy others
26. “Greed alters our sense of priorities.” — Jay Ghosh
27. “Money is not the root of all evil, greed is.” — Philip John Miller
28. “All hardships in life arise from greed and desire.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
29. “Greed is the pursuit of money, wealth and power at the expense of others.” — Charles Carradine
30. “I believe greed is actually measured by what it costs you, not by what you have.” — Jimmy Houston
31. “Greed has the ability to blind a person, making wrong seem right, and vice versa.” — Shannon Holmes
32. “When greed, selfishness, and personal pleasure supersede, any society is subject to collapse.” — Debra Jean Anderson
33. “Greed cuts in line, greed doesn’t give when it should, and greed always wants more. Enough is never enough where greed is concerned.” — Elisabeth Bennett
34. “Greed is a kind of philosophical confusion, a misunderstanding of what one really wants—a secure sense of oneself and the respect of others.” — Robert C. Solomon
35. “The problem with greed is unless there is someone to warn you about it, it will creep up on you; and before you know, it has you hook, line, and sinker.” — Joseph Lacerenza
Greed Quotes on the Dangers of Excessive Desire
36. “He who is greedy is always in want.” ― Horace
37. “It is greed to do all the talking but not to want to listen at all.” ― Democritus
38. “The greedy man is incontent with a whole world set before him.” ― Saadi
39. “We risk all in being too greedy.” ― Jean de La Fontaine
40. “There are a lot of people who are doing wonderful things, quietly, with no motive of greed, or hostility toward other people, or delusions of superiority.” ― Charles Kuralt
41. “Greed, like the love of comfort, is a kind of fear.” ― Cyril Connolly
42. “The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.” ― Thomas R. Donahue
43. “Greed has driven the world crazy. And I think I’m lucky that I have a place over here that I can call home.” ― Nina Simone
44. “Oh, the jealousy, the greed is the unraveling. It’s the unraveling and it undoes all the joy that could be.” ― Joni Mitchell
45. “Greed has taken the whole universe, and nobody is worried about their soul.” ― Little Richard
What did you learn from these greed quotes?
The greed quotes listed above come from every type of profession and walk of life.
It is kind of ironic to see wealthy and powerful people speaking about greed, but not as strange as a serial killer!
Has greed been creeping into areas of your life?
Don’t let it consume you.
There was this proverb I read once about an American CEO who worked long hours and amassed a small fortune.
He went on a vacation and chartered a fisherman in Mexico.
He talked and talked about his wealth and how he could afford all these things, including the vacation and boat charter.
The fisherman pointed out that he lives in a small hut and fishes all day for a living.
It really stuck with me and I always find myself asking if possessions are worth the time away from those we love.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these insightful greed quotes.
Do you have any other helpful quotes to add?
Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!