François-Marie Arouet, popularly known as Voltaire, was a French writer, historian, and philosopher.
He was known for his wit, satire, and outspoken advocacy of civil liberties.
Widely regarded as one of France’s greatest Enlightenment writers, Voltaire wrote over 20, 000 letters and more than 2, 000 books and pamphlets.
Voltaire was born on 21 November 1694 in Paris, France.
He established himself as one of the leading writers of the Enlightenment era, with great works such as the satirical novella Candide and the tragic play Zaïre.
Voltaire strongly believed in freedom of speech and a free and liberal society.
He was twice sent to prison and spent many years in exile because of his politically and religiously charged works, which were not received well by French authorities.
He died in 1778, shortly after returning to Paris.
To inspire your thoughts, here are some enlightening quotes from Voltaire.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Voltaire Quotes on Love, Life and Freedom
1. Friendship is the marriage of the soul, and this marriage is liable to divorce. ― Voltaire
You will also enjoy our article on preschool quotes.
2. “Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.” ― Voltaire
3. If you want to know who controls you, look at who you are not allowed to criticize. ― Voltaire
4. Let us cultivate our garden. ― Voltaire
5. God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well. ― Voltaire
6. “Love truth, but pardon error.” ― Voltaire
7. It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster. ― Voltaire
8. Beware of the words “internal security,” for they are the eternal cry of the oppressor. ― Voltaire
9. “The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.” ― Voltaire
10. “Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it.” ― Voltaire
Have you seen these thought-provoking Karl Mark quotes?
Famous Voltaire quotes that are enlightening
11. It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong. – Voltaire
12. Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too. – Voltaire
13. If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. – Voltaire
14. Tears are the silent language of grief. – Voltaire
15. “Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
16. “Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.” ― Voltaire
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Friedrich Nietzsche quotes on life and love.
17. The more often a stupidity is repeated, the more it gets the appearance of wisdom. – Voltaire
18. The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. – Voltaire
19. Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. – Voltaire
20. “The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.” ― Voltaire
Other inspirational Voltaire quotes
21. “Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.” ― Voltaire
22. The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity. – Voltaire
23. “Faith consists in believing what reason cannot.” ― Voltaire
24. I don’t know where I am going, but I am on my way. ― Voltaire
25. Democracy is just a filler for textbooks! Do you actually believe that public opinion influences the government?
26. Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ― Voltaire
27. All the reasonings of men are not worth one sentiment of women. ― Voltaire
28. Common sense is both rarer and more desirable in leaders than mere intelligence. ― Voltaire
29. He who thinks himself wise, O heavens! is a great fool. ― Voltaire
30. There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times. ― Voltaire
Don’t forget to also read these René Descartes quotes that will inspire you to put on your thinking cap.
Which Voltaire quotes were your favorites?
Voltaire strongly believed in freedom, tolerance, and reason.
His desire was to inspire the way people think and behave.
Despite the risk of upsetting the establishment, he sought to defend freedom of religious and political thought.
Hopefully, these Voltaire quotes have inspired you to stand for what you believe is right.
Did you enjoy these Voltaire quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
Also, feel free to share with your friends and family.