We don’t like it when we see it in other people, but we often overlook it in ourselves. These selfish people quotes will shine a light on it all.
No one likes to spend time with selfish people. All they seem to care about is themselves and getting what they want. However, many of us, while quick to point out selfishness in other people, aren’t so fast to acknowledge it in ourselves.
It’s easy to justify our own selfishness. We think we deserve certain things or that we should have what we want because we work hard. But it’s easy to let ourselves cross over to being selfish.
These selfish people quotes will paint a strong picture of why we don’t want to be selfish people.
Don’t forget to also check out these ego quotes examining pride, confidence and purpose.
Thought provoking selfish people quotes
1. “Almost every sinful action ever committed can be traced back to a selfish motive. It’s a trait we hate in other people but justify in ourselves.” – Stephen Kendrick
2. “Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. Wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can, and the result is happiness. Love and compassion are beneficial both for you and others. Through your kindness to others, your mind and heart will open to peace.” – Dalai Lama
3. “Marriage takes your whole heart; selfish people can’t pull it off.” – Helen Hunt
4. “Selfish people are, by definition, those whose activities are devoted to bringing themselves happiness. Yet. . . these selfish people are far less likely to be happy than those whose efforts are devoted to making others happy.” – Bernard Rimland
5. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
6. “Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.” – Napoleon Hill
7. “I have been selfish all my life, in practice, though not in principle.” – Jane Austen
8. “It is impossible to be both selfish and happy.” – Joyce Meyer
9. “Being sorry is the highest act of selfishness, seeing value only after discarding it.” – Douglas Horton
10. “Selfishness keeps man blind through life.” – Hazrat Inayat Khan
11. “Putting yourself first is not selfish. Thinking about yourself constantly is selfish. Please respect the difference.” – Anonymous
12. “Selfish people tend to only be good to themselves… then are surprised when they are alone.” – Steve Maraboli
Selfish people quotes to help understand them
13. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” – Oscar Wilde
14. “Selfish persons are incapable of loving others, but they are not capable of loving themselves either.” – Erich Fromm
15. “Selfishness is that detestable vice which no one will forgive in others, and no one is without himself.” – Henry Ward Beecher
16. “Some people are selfish in all of their relationships. Those people are called sociopaths.” – Adam Grant
17. “There are many selfish people who are extremely original, then they take those pure ideas and use them to raise themselves up, that is an insincere move.” – Daniel Smith
18. “Being selfish to me means that you have to look out for yourself and you don’t have to sacrifice.” – Herbie Mann
19. “It’s hard to get people to overcome the thought that they have to take care of themselves first. It’s hard to get players to give in to the group and become selfless as opposed to selfish.” – Isaiah Thomas
20. “When you finally have kids, you realize how selfish you are. I think we are naturally selfish beings. When you have kids, that can kind of be a shock at first. I think just trying to make time for yourself is very hard. Especially now that I have 3, finding that time can be very difficult.” – Kristin Cavallari
21. “Selfishness comes from poverty in the heart, from the belief that love is not abundant.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
22. “I think I’m still figuring out how to be a little less selfish.” – Anthony Kiedis
Wise selfish people quotes
23. “A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.” – Unknown
24. “Selfish people lost so much in life because even when they realize they are wrong, they don’t know how to ask for forgiveness or show regrets.” – Unknown
25. “Selfish people are in a way terribly capable of great loves.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
26. “It is the ignorant person who seeks his or her own ends at the expense of the greater whole. It is the ignorant person, therefore, who is the selfish person. The truly wise person is never selfish.” – Ralph Waldo Trine
27. “A person is called selfish, not for pursuing his or her own good, but for neglecting his or her neighbor’s.” – Richard Whatly
28. “The most miserable people are those who care only about themselves, understand only their own troubles, and see only their own perspective.” – Unknown
29. “Intensely selfish people are always very decided as to what they wish. They do not waste their energies in considering the good of others.” – Ouida
30. “When it’s impossible, it’s better to stoop to compromise, without resisting and without complaining. People who complain are selfish.” – Indira Gandhi
31. “It’s usually the selfish people who are loved the most. They do what you deny yourself, and you love them for it. You give them your heart.” – Saul Bellow
32. “A spirit of innovation is generally the result of a selfish temper and confined views. People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors.” – Edmund Burke
Selfish people quotes that can teach a lesson
33. “A selfish man is a thief.” – Jose Marti
34. “Insecurities, betrayal, and selfishness are the things that will never make you a happy person.” – Unknown
35. “That man who lives for self alone lives for the meanest mortal known.” – Joaquin Miller
36. “Selfishness is when you only remember a friend if you need something from them.” – Unknown
37. “Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets… Their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming.” – Steve Maraboli
38. “One who is unselfish can begin to care for one who is selfish. But one who is selfish will care only for himself.” – Unknown
39. “The most selfish people are the ones who do not love themselves.” – Nikolai Berdyaev
Selfish people quotes to enlighten you
40. “A lot of people were saying that I was a selfish person and a selfish player. You know, it got to me.” – LeBron James
41. “You can’t expect to have a deep relationship with a shallow person.” – Doe Zantamata
42. “Jealousy is a passion typical to selfish people.” – Vissarion Belinsky
43. “Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure.” – Jane Austen
44. “Yet there are still people who confuse individualism and selfishness.” – Albert Camus
45. “Self-absorbed people don’t realize how selfish they’ve become.” – Unknown
46. “Self-centered people have only one topic to talk about… THEMSELVES.” – Stef Harder
47. “For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” – James 3:16-7
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wisdom quotes from the world’s greatest minds.
48. “Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity, reduce selfishness, have few desires.” – Lao Tzu
49. “Selfish friends only have themselves in the end.” – Anonymous
50. “The poison of selfishness destroys the world.” – Catherine of Siena
Other selfish people quotes
51. “To be happy, we must not be too concerned with others.” – Albert Camus
52. “Your conscience is the measure of the honesty of your selfishness. Listen to it carefully.” – Richard Bach
53. “If there is one thing I dislike, it is the man who tries to air his grievances when I wish to air mine.” – P.G. Wodehouse
54. “In an individual, selfishness uglifies the soul; for the human species, selfishness is extinction.” – David Mitchell
55. “Selfish— a judgment readily passed by those who have never tested their own power of sacrifice.” – George Eliot
56. “Love is the most selfish of all the passions.” – Alexandre Dumas
57. “There seemed to be three choices: to give up trying to love anyone, to stop being selfish, or to learn to love a person while continuing to be selfish.” – Lydia Davis
58. “Nothing resembles selfishness more closely than self-respect.” – George Sand
59. “Selfishness and greed, individual or national, cause most of our troubles.” – Harry S. Truman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of greed quotes to curb any selfish tendencies.
60. “God creates us free, free to be selfish, but He adds a mechanism that will penetrate our selfishness and wake us up to the presence of others in this world, and that mechanism is called suffering.” – William Nicholson
What did you learn from these selfish people quotes?
Some of these quotes also point out that some people wrongly identify selfishness. For example, they may think that any time they put themselves first they are being selfish. But the reality is, there are some times when you need to take time for yourself.
If you’re always dropping your own tasks when someone asks you to do something for them, it can get you off track in your own life and leave you burnt out and exhausted.
Find the balance between not being selfish in nature while still taking care of yourself and working on your own goals and dreams. Many times the real balance comes down to the heart of the issue.
If you’re the center of your own world then it’s likely selfish motivation that you operate on. These quotes above can remind you why you don’t want to go down that path.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these selfish people quotes and sayings? Do you have any other insightful quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 4, 2021 6:00 AM EST