It is common knowledge that the Marines stand for toughness and honor, as seen in these Marine quotes.
The appeal of joining the Marines is not for everyone.
Not everyone can make it; only the best of the best.
Tell us your favorite marine quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these marine quotes?
As you read through the quotes below, one of the common themes is how proud Marines are to be Marines and how important the brotherhood is.
We all want to belong to something, and if you can belong to one of the world’s toughest, most honorable groups, then that is something to be proud of.
These marine quotes will highlight:
- their pride and courage
- the importance they place on brotherhood
- what they believe in and fight for
Enjoy reading the quotes below discussing what it means to be a Marine.
And don’t forget to check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Marine Quotes about their pride and courage
1. “A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.” – Admiral David D. Porter
You will also enjoy our article on veterans day quotes.
2. “Retreat Hell! We’re just attacking in another direction.” – Major General Oliver P. Smith
You will also enjoy our article on brotherhood quotes.
3. “Marines don’t know how to spell the word ‘defeat’.” – James Mattis
You will also enjoy our article on Navy quotes
4. “Your soul may belong to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the marines.” ― Eugene B. Sledge
You will also enjoy our article on Sun Tzu quotes.
5. “Once a Marine, always a Marine!” – MSgt Paul Woyshner
You will also enjoy our article on encouraging quotes.
6. “Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.” – LtGen Victor H. Krulak
You will also enjoy our article on John Wayne quotes.
7. “I’ve always been proud of being a Marine. I won’t hesitate to defend the Corps.” – Jonathan Winters
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about service.
8. “Marines are built through the ethos of struggle and sacrifice.” – Gen James Jones
You will also enjoy our article on Jacques Cousteau quotes.
9. “The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.” – General Alexander A. Vandergrift
You will also enjoy our article on pearl harbor quotes.
10. “Without discipline, there is no Marine Corp.” – R. Lee Ermey
You will also enjoy our article on life changing quotes.
11. “The American Marines have it [pride], and benefit from it. They are tough, cocky, sure of themselves and their buddies. They can fight and they know it.” – General Mark Clark
You will also enjoy our article on everything will be okay quotes.
12. “If I charge, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. If I die, revenge me.” ― USMC
You will also enjoy our article on quotes tough times.
13. “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.” – Gen. William Thornson
You will also enjoy our article on badass quotes.
14. “I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world.” – General Douglas MacArthur
You will also enjoy our article on anchor quotes.
15. “Hell, these are Marines. Men like them held Guadalcanal and took Iwo Jima. Bagdad ain’t shit.” – Marine Major General John F. Kelly
16. “The Marine Corps is proud of the fact that it is a force of combined arms, and it jealously guards the integrity of its air-ground team.” – General Keith B. McCutcheon
17. “The United States Marine Corps, with its fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth.” – Thomas E. Ricks
18. “It was the Marines who taught me how to act. After that, pretending to be rough wasn’t so hard.” – Lee Marvin
19. “Thousands of Marine combat veterans earned medals for bravery every day. A few were even awarded.” – Unknown
Marine quotes about brotherhood
20. “A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago – there’s no such thing as a former Marine. You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There’s no such thing as a former Marine.” – General James F. Amos
21. “We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit, and military prowess.” – Gen. James L. Jones
22. “I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past.” – Cpl. Jeff Sornig
23. “I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world.” – General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur
24. “It is friendship, and something beyond friendship, that binds the Marine Corps together.” – Unknown
25. “I would not trade you a billion dollars for the kids I led to combat in Vietnam or in fact any of the Marines that I served with for a quarter of a century.” – Oliver North
26. “We are acknowledging the close personal nature of our 10 years at war and the strong bonds of fidelity that Marines have for one another, especially for those fellow Marines who we have lost.” – James F. Amos
27. “Old breed? New breed? There’s not a damn bit of difference so long as it’s the Marine breed.” – Chesty Puller
28. “I loved being in the Marine Corps, I loved my job in the Marine Corps, and I loved the people I served with. It’s one of the best things I’ve had a chance to do.” – Adam Driver
Marine quotes about what they fight for
29. “Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.” – Ned Dolan
30. “The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!” – MGen. Frank E. Lowe
31. “For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines, and we win battles.” – Gen. Charles C. Krulak
32. “Marines die, that’s what we’re here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU will live forever.” – GySgt. Hartma
33. “To Marines, love of liberty is not an empty phrase… Rather, it’s displayed by blood, sweat, and tears for the fallen.” – Jim Mattis
34. “So long as our Corps fields such Marines, America has nothing to fear from tyrants, be they Fascists, Communists or Tyrants with Medieval Ideology. For we serve in a Corps with no institutional confusion about our purpose: To fight! To fight well!” – Jim Mattis
35. “We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift He could bestow to man while he lived on this earth -freedom. We also believe He gave us another gift nearly as precious – our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines – to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this earth can ever steal it away.” – John F. Kelly
Marine quotes about their fighting ability
36. “Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights.” – Navy Times
37. “We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?” – Gen. John W. Vessey Jr
38. “They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or “we’ll blow you away.” And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, ‘Igaralli ahow’ which means ‘Excuse me, I didn’t mean it, my mistake.’” – Karen Aquilar
39. “Don’t you forget that you’re First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!” – Col. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Chesty Puller quotes that will motivate you to push it to the limits.
40. “Planning plus preparation breeds confidence.”― US Marines
41. “My only answer as to why the Marines get the toughest jobs is because the average Leatherneck is a much better fighter. He has far more guts, courage, and better officers… These boys out here have a pride in the Marine Corps and will fight to the end no matter what the cost.” – 2nd Lt. Richard C. Kennard
42. “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don’t have that problem. – Ronald ReaganYou’ll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!” – Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC
43. “I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world.” – Sir Winston Churchill
44. “The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.” – Gen. John “Black Jack” Pershing
45. “Marines are very good at fighting… And if Gen. Franks wants fighters on the ground and he puts Marines in, he’ll have what he wants.” – Peter Pace
Marine quotes about the benefits of being one
46. “The Marines gave me a really strong sense of discipline and a work ethic that kicks in at my job.” – Drew Carey
47. “I learned a great many things in the Marines that helped me as a football coach. The Marines train men hard and to do things the right way, just as a football team must train.” – Hayden Fry
48. “The Marines was a fresh start – that is why they shave your head. I wish they would let you change your name.” – Drew Carey
49. “We think of the Marine Corps as a military outfit, and of course it is, but for me, the U.S. Marine Corps was a four-year crash course in character education. It taught me how to make a bed, how to do laundry, how to wake up early, how to manage my finances.” – J. D. Vance
50. “I can’t see how a single man could spend his time to better advantage than in the Marines.” — Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph “Dan” Daly
51. “There was always talk of esprit de corps, of being gung ho, and that must have been a part of it. Better, tougher training, more marksmanship on the firing range, the instant obedience to orders seared into men in boot camp.” – James Brady
52. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
53. “So the Marine Corps really did teach me to conquer fear, and then to go for higher causes, higher purposes.” – Robert Kiyosaki
54. “The Marine Corps has just been called by the New York Times, ‘The elite of this country.’ I think it is the elite of the world.” – Admiral William Halsey
55. “Success in battle is not a function of how many show up, but who they are.” – Robert H. Barrow
56. “We go forward with our heads held high, but look back and remember where we come from.” – Michael Hudson
More marine quotes and sayings
57. “The Marine Corps taught me commitment, courage, focus, and a value system that can easily suffice for people like me who aren’t religious.” – Bob Lutz
58. “The marines gave me an eternal discipline.” – Huey Morgan
59. “The oceans are a way of life. We fish; we sail; we have a robust marine economy.” – Sheldon Whitehouse
60. “Just rejoice at the news and congratulate our armed forces and the Marines. Rejoice!” – Margaret Thatcher
61. “In the Marine Corps, everything had a purpose.” – Adam Driver
62. “The task describes the action to be taken while the intent describes the purpose of the action.”― U.S. Marine Corps
63. “The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand.” – Richard Harding Davis
64. “Ensure that no Marine who honarably wore the Eagle, Globe and Anchor is lost to the Marine Corps family.” – James L. Jones
65. “Demonstrate to the world there is “No better friend, no worse enemy” than a U.S. Marine.” – James Mattis
66. “Retreat!… we’re just attacking in a different direction.” – Chesty Puller
67. “The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.” – William James
68. “Hit hard, hit fast, hit often.” – Chesty Puller
69. “We must therefore be prepared to cope—even better, to thrive—in an environment of chaos, uncertainty, constant change, and friction.”― U.S. Marine Corps
70. “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” – Chesty Puller
Marine quotes about their bravery and sacrifice
71. “Some people wonder all their lives if they’ve made a difference. The Marines don’t have that problem.” – Ronald Reagan
72. “Get off your butt and join the Marines!” – John Wayne
73. “Without the brave efforts of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines and their families, this Nation, along with our allies around the world, would not stand so boldly, shine so brightly and live so freely.” – Lane Evans
74. “In the simple moral maxim the Marine Corps teaches—do the right thing, for the right reason—no exception exists that says: unless there’s criticism or risk.” – Joel Rushing
75. “Those of us who have never been in the military don’t understand what it is like to serve in the military.” – Gina Barreca
76. “Marines don’t cry.” – Barbara Nickless
77. “In my experience, Marines are gung ho no matter what. They will all fight to the death.” – Chris Kyle
78. “You always hear all these statements like “Freedom isn’t free.” You hear the President talking about all these people making sacrifices. But you never really know until you carry one of them in a casket. When you feel their bodyweight. When you feel them. That’s when you know. That’s when you understand.” – Jim Sheeler
79. “You may hate the war, but never hate the ones that fight. For they do not choose when or where to fight. All they chose was to protect who they love and even the people they don’t know.” – Millie
80. “Everyday US Marines make possible the impossible and then go about their business like it’s just the way things are supposed to be.” – Mark W. Boyer
Marine Quotes about their Sacrifice for Patriotism
81. “Men do not fight for flag or country, for the Marine Corps or glory or any other abstraction. They fight for one another. And if you came through this ordeal, you would age with dignity.” – William Manchester
82. “The Marine Corps taught me how to kill, but it didn’t teach me how to deal with killing.” – Karl Marlantes
83. “You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are.” – Father Kevin Keane
84. “Casualties many; percentage of dead not known; combat efficiency; we are winning.” – David M. Shoup
85. “I have learned two important lessons from my association with the Marine Corps: always be on time and always be ready to do what is required when you get there.” – Ed Mcmanhon
86. “There’s a mindset of flexibility and adaptability that comes with us. We don’t mind hardship. We don’t mind somebody saying—“Go in and do this nasty job.” Whatever the job is, we can do it. That’s why the nation has a Marine Corps.” – James F. Amos
87. “A Marine likes a good fight and respects a good fighter. You’ve got yourself one fine Marine for an escort and the whole Marine Corps behind you.” – Bud Rudesill
88. “A Marine should be sworn to the patient endurance of hardships, like the ancient knights; and it is not the least of these necessary hardships to have to serve with sailors.” – Bernard Montgomery
89. “We’re really talking about the Army and Marine Corps here for almost all these ground combat jobs. They want to move in a careful, deliberate manner.” – Renee Montagne
90. “Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.” – Omar N. Bradley
Marine Quotes About Their Character And Spirit
91. “Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary.” – A. M. Gray
92. “The Marine Corps is supposed to be the toughest and most rigorous of its class.” – Adam Driver
93. “The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” – Eleanor Roosevelt
94. “In the military, you learn the essence of people. You see so many examples of self-sacrifice and moral courage. In the rest of life you don’t get that many opportunities to be sure of your friends.” – Adam Driver
95. “The Marine Corps is some of the best acting training you could have. Having that responsibility for people’s lives, suddenly time becomes a really valuable commodity and you want to make the most of it. And for acting, you just have to do the work, just keep doing it.” – Adam Driver
96. “Emphasis in the Marine Corps isn’t on talking about your feelings.” – Adam Driver
97. “We’re a family, the Marine Corps. We take care of each other, and that includes supporting the spouses and families of Marines who are left behind during a deployment. We all take care of one another.” – Brad Milton
98. “The future success of the Marine Corps depends on two factors: first, an efficient performance of all duties to which its officers and men may be assigned; second, promptly bringing this efficiency to the attention of the proper officials of the government, and the American people.” – John A. Lejeune
99. “In the Marine Corps, your buddy is not only your classmate or fellow officer, but he is also the Marine under your command. If you don’t prepare yourself to properly train him, lead him, and support him on the battlefield, then you’re going to let him down. That is unforgivable in the Marine Corps.” – Chesty Puller
100. “The Marine Corps is not a job, it’s a vocation.” – Major Rick Spooner
Thought-Provoking Marine Quotes
101. “Ensure that no Marine who honorably wore the eagle, globe and anchor is lost to the Marine Corps family.” — James L. Jones
102. “I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.” — General Robert E. Cushman
103. “The Marine Corps is your family too. You may not have a mother here, but you have a shit pile of fathers, uncles, and brothers.” ― Bud Rudesill
104. “The essence of the Marine Corps experience, I decided, was pain.” ― Philip Caputo
105. “Welcome to the real Marine Corps, a bunch of nerds on computers all day. We only go to the gym so the grunts don’t eat us.” ― Jess Mastorakos
106. “We were the marines the other Marines avoided. The pariahs, the bad-luck charms. The ones no one wanted to risk being near. As if we didn’t just process death. As if we brought it.” ― Barbara Nickless
107. “The Marine Corps is the Navy’s police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin’s.” ― Harry S Truman
108. “To the men, families, and the lost of 1st Battalion, 5th Marines OIFII: You are the fabric of the red, white, and blue! You are in my heart forever.” ― Donnelly Wilkes
109. “They (Women Marines) don’t have a nickname, and they don’t need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.” — Lieutenant General Thomas Holcomb
110. “The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years.” — James Forrestal
Marine Quotes To Gain Strength To Safeguard People
111. “The Marine Corps … took a boy and made him a man.” ― Ed Bearss
112. “As a Marine officer in combat, I was responsible for the lives and safety of all the Marines who served with me.” ― Oliver North
113. “You’d figure he’d go do something with his life, like maybe he could enlist and actually become a marine!” ― CM Punk
114. “I always equate wrestling to having been in the Marine Corps.” ― William Baldwin
115. “We will send ships and Marines as soon as possible for the protection of American life and property.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
116. “I got a little bit of the Marine mentality from my dad, I guess. You can’t help but absorb the culture you’re around.” ― Robbie Lawler
117. “I can now say without hesitation the Marine Corps was the best foster home I ever had.” ― Art Buchwald
118. “A person cannot be a Marine without honor.” ― Carl Epting Mundy, Jr.
119. “I do not believe I could have built FedEx without the skills I learned from the Marine Corps.” ― Frederick W. Smith
120. “Oh, and once, when I was in the Marines, I got a perfect score on my physical fitness test.” ― Drew Carey
Badass marine quotes from Gen. James Mattis
121. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” – Gen. James Mattis
122. “Fight with a happy heart and strong spirit.” – Gen. James Mattis
123. “Marines don’t know how to spell the word defeat.” – Gen. James Mattis
124. “It’s quite fun to shoot them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people.” – Gen. James Mattis
125. “You are part of the world’s most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.” – Gen. James Mattis
126. “I get a lot of credit these days for things I never did.” – Gen. James Mattis
127. “I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot. I’ll kill you all.” – Gen. James Mattis
128. “Carry out your mission and keep your honor clean.” – Gen. James Mattis
129. “I keep other people awake at night.” – Gen. James Mattis
130. “There are some people who think you have to hate them in order to shoot them. I don’t think you do.” – Gen. James Mattis
Marine Quotes for Their Powerful Skills
131. “If I could have been a marine biologist I would have, but I didn’t have that kind of intelligence. Numbers were never my strong point.” — Nicolas Cage
132. “It was great to play an ex-marine cockney thug. All my roles are as different as the colours of the rainbow.” — Luke Treadaway
133. “All women are created equal, then some become Мarines.” — Katy Perry
134. “We are the ones responsible to determine whether the war that our marines, soldiers and airmen are fighting in is worth the cause.” — Scott Ritter
135. “Judging by the hard lines of his face and the flat look in his eyes, he’d left the Marines, but the Corps hadn’t quite left him.” — Ilona Andrews
136. “We also very importantly recommend continued growth in the Army and the Marine Corps end strength.” — John M. McHugh
137. “An untrained or uneducated Marine … deployed to the combat zone is a bigger threat to mission accomplishment … than the enemy.” — James Mattis
138. “Almost every Marine I’ve met says I portray a Marine dead-on, which is really, really flattering.” — Catherine Bell
139. “I know that this operation will be sort of helter-skelter. But the First Marine Division is going to win the war by landing at Inchon.” — Douglas MacArthur
140. “When I went through Marine boot camp in Paris Island, South Carolina, we actually did have bayonets that we trained with.” — Josh Mandel
Marine Quotes to Sail into the Beauty and Mystery of the Ocean
141. “The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea.” ― Anne Morrow Lindbergh
142. “The ocean is a mute witness to the passage of time, marking the rhythms of the ages.” ― John F. Kennedy
143. “The ocean is a metaphor for the vastness of our own inner lives.” ― Jon Krakauer
144. “The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.” ― Yann Martel
145. “There is nothing more enticing, disenchanting, and enslaving than the life at sea.” ― Joseph Conrad
146. “I am not a scientist. I am, rather, an impatient optimist whose hobby is characterizing the ocean.” ― Sylvia Earle
147. “The sea, the great unifier, is man’s only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat.” ― Jacques Yves Cousteau
148. “The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.” ― Kate Chopin
149. “The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination, and brings eternal joy to the soul.” ― Robert Wyland
150. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” ― Jacques Yves Cousteau
Which of these marine quotes is your favorite?
Hopefully, you enjoyed these quotes about the Marines.
If you are one of those thinking about joining or are a current or past Marine, these quotes are a testament to the kind of men and women that make up the Marine Corps.
The Marines have long been a great protector and representative of the United States.
These quotes should motivate us all to strive for more in our lives and to appreciate those that have protected us.
You don’t have to wait for Veteran’s Day to show your appreciation each year.
Please take time to thank any Marines or other veterans that you may know.
Their service allows our freedom.
Which of these marine quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Do you have any other motivational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
January 31, 2023 7:29 AM EST