It is common knowledge that the Marines stand for toughness and honor as you’ll see in these Marine quotes.
The appeal of joining the Marines is not for everyone. Not everyone can make it, only the best of the best.
As you read through the quotes below one of the common themes is how proud Marines are to be Marines and how important the brotherhood is.
We all want to belong to something and if you can belong to one of the toughest, most honorable groups in the world then that is something to be proud of.
Enjoy reading the quotes below discussing what it means to be a Marine.
And don’t forget to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
Marine Quotes about their pride and courage
1. “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.” – Gen. William Thornson
2. “Hell, these are Marines. Men like them held Guadalcanal and took Iwo Jima. Bagdad ain’t shit.” – Marine Major General John F. Kelly
3. “The United States Marine Corps, with its fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth.” – Thomas E. Ricks
4. “I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world.” – General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur
5. “Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They’re aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They’ve got really short hair and they always go for the throat.” – RAdm. “Jay” R. Stark
6. “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don’t have that problem. – Ronald ReaganYou’ll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!” – Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC
7. “Courage is endurance for one moment more…” – Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant
8. “There was always talk of esprit de corps, of being gung ho, and that must have been a part of it. Better, tougher training, more marksmanship on the firing range, the instant obedience to orders seared into men in boot camp.” – James Brady
9. “The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.” – General Alexander A. Vandergrift
10. “The Marine Corps has just been called by the New York Times, ‘The elite of this country.’ I think it is the elite of the world.” – Admiral William Halsey
11. “The American Marines have it [pride], and benefit from it. They are tough, cocky, sure of themselves and their buddies. They can fight and they know it.” – General Mark Clark
12. “If I charge, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. If I die, revenge me.” ― USMC
13. “A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.” – Admiral David D. Porter
14. “I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world.” – General Douglas MacArthur
15. “Retreat Hell! We’re just attacking in another direction.” – Major General Oliver P. Smith
16. “The Marine Corps is proud of the fact that it is a force of combined arms, and it jealously guards the integrity of its air-ground team.” – General Keith B. McCutcheon
17. “Marines don’t know how to spell the word ‘defeat’.” – Jim Mattis
18. “It was the Marines who taught me how to act. After that, pretending to be rough wasn’t so hard.” – Lee Marvin
19. “The United States Marine Corps, with it fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth.” – Thomas E. Ricks
Marine quotes about brotherhood
20. “A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago – there’s no such thing as a former Marine. You’re a Marine, just in a different uniform and you’re in a different phase of your life. But you’ll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There’s no such thing as a former Marine.” – General James F. Amos
21. “We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit, and military prowess.” – Gen. James L. Jones
22. “I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past.” – Cpl. Jeff Sornig
23. “Your soul may belong to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the marines.” ― Eugene B. Sledge
24. “Once a Marine, always a Marine!” – MSgt Paul Woyshner
25. “I would not trade you a billion dollars for the kids I led to combat in Vietnam or in fact any of the Marines that I served with for a quarter of a century.” – Oliver North
26. “We are acknowledging the close personal nature of our 10 years at war and the strong bonds of fidelity that Marines have for one another, especially for those fellow Marines who we have lost.” – James F. Amos
27. “Old breed? New breed? There’s not a damn bit of difference so long as it’s the Marine breed – Chesty Puller
28. “I loved being in the Marine Corps, I loved my job in the Marine Corps, and I loved the people I served with. It’s one of the best things I’ve had a chance to do.” – Adam Driver
Marine quotes about what they fight for
29. “Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.” – Ned Dolan
30. “The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!” – MGen. Frank E. Lowe
31. “For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines, and we win battles.” – Gen. Charles C. Krulak
32. “Marines die, that’s what we’re here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU will live forever.” – GySgt. Hartma
33. “To Marines, love of liberty is not an empty phrase… Rather, it’s displayed by blood, sweat, and tears for the fallen.” – Jim Mattis
34. “So long as our Corps fields such Marines, America has nothing to fear from tyrants, be they Fascists, Communists or Tyrants with Medieval Ideology. For we serve in a Corps with no institutional confusion about our purpose: To fight! To fight well!” – Jim Mattis
35. “We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift He could bestow to man while he lived on this earth -freedom. We also believe He gave us another gift nearly as precious – our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines – to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this earth can ever steal it away.” – John F. Kelly
Marine quotes about their fighting ability
36. “Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights.” – Navy Times
37. “We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?” – Gen. John W. Vessey Jr
38. “They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or “we’ll blow you away.” And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, “Igaralli ahow,” which means “Excuse me, I didn’t mean it, my mistake”.” – Karen Aquilar
39. “Don’t you forget that you’re First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!” – Col. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Chesty Puller quotes that will motivate you to push it to the limits.
40. “I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.” – 1stLt. Clifton B. Cates
41. “My only answer as to why the Marines get the toughest jobs is because the average Leatherneck is a much better fighter. He has far more guts, courage, and better officers… These boys out here have a pride in the Marine Corps and will fight to the end no matter what the cost.” – 2nd Lt. Richard C. Kennard
42. “Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.” – LtGen Victor H. Krulak
43. “I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world.” – Sir Winston Churchhill
44. “The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.” – Gen. John “Black Jack” Pershing
45. “Marines are very good at fighting… And if Gen. Franks wants fighters on the ground and he puts Marines in, he’ll have what he wants.” – Peter Pace
Marine quotes about the benefits of being one
46. “The Marines gave me a really strong sense of discipline and a work ethic that kicks in at my job.” – Drew Carey
47. “I learned a great many things in the Marines that helped me as a football coach. The Marines train men hard and to do things the right way, just as a football team must train.” – Hayden Fry
48. “The Marines was a fresh start – that is why they shave your head. I wish they would let you change your name.” – Drew Carey
49. “We think of the Marine Corps as a military outfit, and of course it is, but for me, the U.S. Marine Corps was a four-year crash course in character education. It taught me how to make a bed, how to do laundry, how to wake up early, how to manage my finances.” – J. D. Vance
50. “I can’t see how a single man could spend his time to better advantage than in the Marines.” – Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph “Dan” Daly
51. “I’ve always been proud of being a Marine. I won’t hesitate to defend the Corps.” – Jonathan Winters
52. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
53. “So the Marine Corps really did teach me to conquer fear, and then to go for higher causes, higher purposes.” – Robert Kiyosaki
More marine quotes and sayings
54. “Without discipline, there is no Marine Corp.” – R. Lee Ermey
55. “Success in battle is not a function of how many show up, but who they are.” – Robert H. Barrow
56. “We go forward with our heads held high, but look back and remember where we come from.” – Michael Hudson
57. “The Marine Corps taught me commitment, courage, focus, and a value system that can easily suffice for people like me who aren’t religious.” – Bob Lutz
58. “The marines gave me an eternal discipline.” – Huey Morgan
59. “The oceans are a way of life. We fish; we sail; we have a robust marine economy.” – Sheldon Whitehouse
60. “Just rejoice at the news and congratulate our armed forces and the Marines. Rejoice!” – Margaret Thatcher
Which of these marine quotes is your favorite?
Hopefully, you enjoyed these quotes about the Marines. If you are one of those thinking about joining or are a current or past Marine, these quotes are a testament to the kind of men and women that make up the Marine Corps.
The Marines have long been a great protector and representative of the United States. These quotes should motivate us all to strive for more in our lives and to appreciate those that have protected us.
You don’t have to wait for Veteran’s Day to show your appreciation each year. Please take time to thank any Marines or other veterans that you may know. Their service allows our freedom.
Which of these marine quotes and sayings is your favorite? Do you have any other motivational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 30, 2020 7:00 AM EST