‘Loner’ is one of those words in the English language where connotation plays a large part in how an individual defines it. For some people, a loner is the ‘outsider,’ or the ‘recluse’ that everyone stays away from because there is something just odd about them.
Other people romanticize the loner, seeing them as a ‘lone wolf,’ this almost mystical, powerful figure brimming with ideas forged in solitude. Some think it is a necessary trait for genius, and others hear the word loner and feel fear. These loner quotes capture a bit of all sentiment, even from those who say, “I am a loner.”
Some of these loner quotes are from geniuses like Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison. Others are from creative wonders like Michael Douglas, Jules Verne, and Jodi Picoult.
There are a few loner quotes that are deeply profound and might make you tear up, while there are some that are kind of funny.
This contrast between opinions about being a loner begs the question, “Is it good to be a loner?” Keep reading and let us know what your thoughts are!
Don’t forget to also check out these lonely quotes for when you feel like no one gets you.
‘I am a loner’ quotes that explain what it feels like
1. “Yes, I guess you could say I am a loner, but I feel more lonely in a crowded room with boring people than I feel on my own.” ― Henry Rollins
2. “I like silence; I’m a gregarious loner and without the solitude, I lose my gregariousness.” ― Karen Armstrong
3. “Maybe ‘loner’ is too strong a word, but I’ve always enjoyed being on my own.” ― George Best
4. “I became a loner. I became a mountain man. A lot of those things are very good qualities and they help you do your work, help you be singular, and keep the artistic integrity of your work intact, but they don’t make it very easy to live your life.” ― John Milius
5. “I’m quite a loner. I realized that I’m very introverted, and I get energy by being alone instead of being with other people.” ― Candice Patton
6. “I do think of myself as a bit of a loner, a bit of an independent. I’m one of those people who, when they’re sick, like to curl up and remove myself. I don’t like a lot of people around. There is nothing you can do to help.” ― Michael Douglas
7. “Yeah, I like being on my own. I do. I tend to be a loner, so I’m okay. I’m not okay when I have to be around everyone all the time.” ― Keri Russell
8. “I do feel like a loner but I think it’s because I look at things differently than other people.” ― Ricky Williams
9. “Although I am a typical loner in my daily life, my awareness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has prevented me from feelings of isolation.” ― Albert Einstein
10. “I am completely a loner. In my head I want to feel I can be anywhere. There is a sort of recklessness that being a loner allows me.” ― Arundhati Roy
Sad and powerful loner quotes that will make you teary-eyed
11. “Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.” ― Jodi Picoult
12. “Nobody enjoys the company of others as intensely as someone who usually avoids the company of others.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
13. “He craved silences and solitude. He simply could not get lost in another person’s life.” ― Sreesha Divakaran
14. “Sensitivity to the sound of one’s name is a special gift of loners. Because the loner does not often hear his name, he reacts dramatically in the rare event the word is uttered. Source: me.” ― Wataru Watari
15. “Those who understand the true nature of humanity are always loners.” — Dean Cavanagh
16. “Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.” — Sherlock
17. “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.” — Anne Frank
18. “But there are no loners. No man lives in a void. His every act is conditioned by his time and his society.” ― William Manchester
19. “Language… has created the word ‘loneliness’ to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word ‘solitude’ to express the glory of being alone.” — Paul Tillich
20. “Many people suffer from the fear of finding oneself alone, and so they don’t find themselves at all.” — Rollo May
Funny loner quotes that will have you rethinking what a loner is
21. “It might be true that no man is an island,” she said, “but you know those peninsulas that are just connected by a really thin neck of land–a sandbar, even? And sometimes, when the tide is high, they get cut off, almost completely. I wouldn’t say that there weren’t people like that.” ― A. L. Buehrer
22. “Sometimes all you have to do is tell people the truth. They won’t believe you. After that they leave you alone.” ― Benjamin Alire Sáenz
23. “You might be an introvert if you were ready to go home before you left the house.” ― Criss Jami
24. “If you’re lonely when you’re alone, you’re in bad company.” — Jean-Paul Sartre
25. “Solitude is fine, but you need someone to tell you that solitude is fine.” — Honoré de Balzac
26. “Everybody likes to see the loner hitched. It tells them everything is right with the world.” — Philip O Ceallaigh
27. “They say isolation drives you crazy. Sure it does—when you can’t get enough of it.” — Anneli Rufus
28. “Reading requires a loner’s temperament, a high tolerance for silence, and an unhealthy preference for the company of people who are imaginary or dead.” — David Samuels
29. “We entrepreneurs are loners, vagabonds, troublemakers. Success is simply a matter of finding and surrounding ourselves with those open-minded and clever souls who can take our insanity and put it to good use.” — Anita Roddick
Short being a loner quotes about solitude and being lonely
30. “I hate when I can’t control my loneliness.” ― Leju Thomas
31. “Being a loner doesn’t make you lonely, but being lonely can make a loner.” ― Eiro Silvigne
32. “Solitude is a sad thing, with no heart to which to confide your griefs.” ― Jules Verne
33. “If love and friendship makes you unhappy, try solitude.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
34. “You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.” ― Charles Bukowski
35. “I love my loneliness as it helps me gather strength to deal with people.” ― Amit Abraham
36. “The best things have always come from the loneliest people.” — Adam Gnade
37. “Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god.” ― Aristotle
38. “Solitude is the best nurse of wisdom.” — Laurence Sterne
39. “The best thinking has been done in solitude.” — Thomas A. Edison
40. “You only grow when you are alone.” — Paul Newman
41. “Seclusion is the price of greatness.” — Paramahansa Yogananda
Best loner quotes about the upside of being a loner
42. “I do not mind someone talking to me, as long as they do not mind me not listening or talking to them.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
43. “The best adventures are embarked on alone.” ― Lidia Longorio
44. “I finally went where everyone goes and I realized I was never missing out.” ― Meraaqi
45. “I think it’s good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.” — Amy Sedaris
46. “One of the many advantages of being a loner is that often there’s time to think, ponder, brood, meditate deeply, and figure things out to one’s satisfaction.” — Andrea Seigel
47. “Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living.” ― Albert Einstein
48. “Loners, if you catch them, are well worth the trouble. Not dulled by excess human contact, nor blasé or focused on your crotch while jabbering about themselves. Loners are curious, vigilant, full of surprises. They do not cling. Separate wherever they go, awake or asleep, they shimmer with the iridescence of hidden things seldom seen.” ― Anneli Rufus
49. “The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. Originality thrives in seclusion, free of outside influences beating upon us to cripple the creative mind. Be alone—that is the secret of invention: be alone, that is when ideas are born.” — Nikola Tesla
50. “The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.” ― Aldous Huxley
What did you learn from these loner quotes?
Introverts and Extroverts have become like identity markers, the product of various personality tests, we carry around with us like a badge… “I’m an ENFJ,” or, according to The Big Five personality test, “I score high in extroversion.”
Maybe you are the rarest Meyers Briggs personality type there is, the elusive INFJ. Is one better than the other? Are introverts destined to become ‘loners.’ An extrovert might not understand the need an introvert has for solitude, but it doesn’t make it a bad thing. In fact, despite humans being a social species, recent research has shown that being a loner might be good for your mental health.
According to writer Christine Ro, Gregory Feist, whose work centers on the psychology of creativity at California’s San Jose State University, has defined two key elements that help the creative thinking process: originality and usefulness.
His study showed several personality traits commonly associated with creativity: openness (receptiveness to new thoughts and experiences), self-efficacy (confidence), and autonomy (independence)—which includes “a lack of concern for social norms” and “a preference for being alone.” He studied artists and scientists and discovered that one of the most prominent traits among creators is their disinterest in socializing.
What did you learn from these loner quotes and sayings? Have you taken a personality test recently? Share your results in the comment section below!
July 28, 2021 7:00 AM EST